Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Help: Best Places to Stay with the Family

Hi All!

Signed up for LP in 2016 (yay) and will be bringing the family of 6.  Looking for some recommendations on places to stay (Im guessing the earlier I book, the better).  We would like a house vs hotel given we will be making a week long vacation out of it.  Ideally, I would like to stay within walking distance to race start/finish, but if better places are a little further out that will work too.  Ive never been to Lake Placid, so any and all recommendations will be much appreciated image

Thank you! Danielle

Comments

• Options
    CONGRATS Danielle -

I suspect you will get a fair number of responses/opinions re: this subject :-)

FWIW - I have stayed in Saranac Lake every year, since 1999 and have loved the experience out there. 6-7 miles outside of the village of LP... significantly less expensive than in the village of LP... very easy to drive in/out of the LP on the days before and race morning... quiet...

I give SL two very very hearty thumbs up!! :-)
  • Options
    Oh my....you will get MANY responses to your question. Here is my 2 cents:

My family and I (kids were 3 and 6 years old) have stayed at the Whiteface Lodge and the Crown Plaza. Both offer rooms that are spacious for families and bike/gear. Both let me keep my bike in the room which was a plus. Both have fun things for kids and we have been very happy during all of our visits.

The White face Lodge is about a mile or so outside of the center of town. Both goods and bads with regard to this. This hotel is a little pricier but the staff is there for your every need. They even have a shuttle to take you to the start on race day and take you back after you finish.

The Crowns Plaza is right there in the center of town on top of a hill that is within a stones-throw of transition and Mirror Lake. You are doing things for yourself, compared to The Whiteface Lodge, but convenience/location and fairly large rooms made this a nice option as well.

I hope some of this info helps and yes, book earlier than you think!

-Pete
  • Options
    Hi Danielle!
    Congratulations!! Looking forward to meeting you and racing with you! It's going to be an awesome year!!! Woohoo!!
    My family and I stayed in the harbor condominiums. They are a mile from the swim start. Beautiful and clean! I worked with Diane at lake placid accommodations. She's awesome! Send her an email and she will get back to you with a list of rental options!!! diane@lakeplacidcondos.com

LP is a magical place- you're going to love it!
  • Options
    I agree with what everyone above has said.

I rented a house on Parkside Drive last year. It was perfect except for the cost. A quarter mile from swim start and a tad further to the finish line. My parents were able to go back to the house during the race, use the bathroom, hang out when I was on the bike course and stay dry in the rain. I was able to go back and use the bathroom at the very last minute before the race. (Awesome not waiting in line for a porta-potty!) After the race it was nice not having to go far to walk my bike and gear bags back home. It was extremely convenient for race week.

That being said...this year I was in LP for training and to support the team. I stayed in a rental house with a bunch of teammates on the outskirts of town. While it didn't have the bathroom or proximity convenience it really wasn't that big of a deal and if I ever do LP again I wouldn't hesitate to stay further out of town to save money including Saranac Lake as Woody mentioned. Parking can be found in the village on race day and if you're accommodations are on the right side of town you wouldn't have a problem leaving before the race is over.
  • Options
    So many options and recommendations, thank you all so much. Guess I should get on it and book something pretty quickly!

@Laura, looking forward to meeting and racing with you as well in 2016!!!
  • Options
    @Danielle, Gonzalo and I stayed at a rental house in Saranac Lake with our families this year and getting into/out of LP wasn't too bad though we did have to cruise the main drag a few times waiting for a parking spot to open up. Race day access via the parking lots / shuttles was no problem. That said, the house we rented was pretty dumpy and we booked rooms at the Hampton Inn by Mirror Lake next year to be closer to the action. I just posted on the dashboard that we have an extra room at the hotel that our friends need to cancel, so anyone can email me at michael.weinmann@gmail.com if they're interested in taking it off our hands before we give it up.
  • Options
    Did anyone ever stay in the Pinehill condos?