Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD - Week 15 / 20 - 6 to go

It's race rehearsal week!!  Woo hoo!!  Who's doing this as a Camp week?  Not me... I wish, but it just won't work logistically.  Lots of good chatter last week about how to modify to make it a typical race rehearsal week:

• long run Thu
  • RR swim Fri
  • RR#1 Sat - 112 mile or 6 hour bike (whichever comes first) + 1 hr run
  • OFF Sun!!! 

As far as the 1 hr run on Sat, I'm going to start incorporating the HR-based recos and do some research this week into my long bikes, figuring out that avg HR for the last 90 minutes, and use that as a guide.  Any other thoughts on how to pace that run?

Have a great week, all!

Comments

• Options
    Knocked out the interval run this morning and hit my intervals. That felt good! So far so good with my knee, keeping fingers crossed!

I'm doing the traditional RR week vs the camp week. And I'm keeping a very close eye on the discussions around the hew HR based recommendations for racing. I've looked at both my AHR for the whole ride and my AHR for the last 90 min of the ride for my last 5 long bike rides and averaged out those numbers to get a feel for what to expect on the RR. I did the same thing with my AHR for the last 5 long runs too. So I now have a pretty good idea what I should see on the computer for AHR in the last 90 min of the RR bike, and thus what HR I should be targeting for that run. I'm gonna use that number for the entire 60 minutes of the RR Brick.
  • Options
    Hi.  I have been an EN member since last October, training away, and am hopefully recovered enough from my plantar fasciitis to run well on Oct 3 in Cambridge.  I have been following the threads here.  My problem is I would like to wear some EN gear on race day, but in typical fashion, I failed to purchase anything in advance and the store seems to be out of commission.  Any suggestions on where I can get shorts, a shirt or a hat maybe at this late date so my EN team can recognize me and help me along?  Or a T-shirt for my support crew?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.  Peter
  • Options
    Peter- have you checked the Classifieds forum? There's usually someone posting an EN jersey or other gear in there. And if there isn't something there- post your own ISO thread, someone might be able to loan you one for the weekend even if they aren't ready to sell it. Seems to me we have quite a few folks up in the NJ area.
  • Options
    Peter- I sent a chat message to the EN crew to see what the scoop was for the Jersey's. They said there might be some inventory in stock while they deal with the transition, so I'd suggest you send a "help" chat request to see if they have what you need!
  • Options
    Some of you start the "Big Camp Week" tomorrow. But for those of you doing the old school RR week, how did your long run go today? What were the 3 things that went right, and the 1 thing you want to work on? I'm happy to report that all the extra rest/home PT work I've been doing, the knee seems to be holding up fine and I was able to do the entire 2:15 run! Yipeeeee- that's a huge confidence boost for me!

3 things that went well:
    1- I hit all the paces exactly as planned (it's amazing how much easier that is at 78 degrees vs 90+)
    2- I did a dress rehearsal of my race day kit, and was very comfy with no chaffing- I think I'll finally be able to do an IM without a wardrobe change in T2- but more testing is needed
    3- My UCAN flask fit snug and secure in the EN Jersey Pocket (unlike the bouncy feel in my OBX Jersey) so I think I won't have to use the hand carrier on race day. Again- more testing is needed, but it's a good sign.

1 thing to work on
    1- My lower GI started "speaking to me" near the end of the run. Not sure if this was the bean quesadilla's from the night before, or the caffeine pill I took at the 1 hr mark, or the "best effort" pacing at the end of the run. But I need to figure it out.
  • Options
    Looking at the RR Plan thread, seems folks are doing a good job getting the camp/RR week done even if it's not perfect!

My swim went well, but I had to cut it short at 2 miles. The water temps here dropped unexpectedly and I didn't realize it until I got started with the speedsuit instead of the wetsuit. My hands were numb and it took 15 min in a hot shower to warm back up. Good news is- perhaps this means wetsuit swim after all????

The RR Brick went really well. I had company for most of the ride- which was great mentally. BUT, for every person you add to a ride, you can add about 5 minutes of admin time to the ride (I need to pee, I need water, can I just stretch my back, etc). As much as I hate to do it, I think I'm going to try doing the next RR completely solo (or maybe with just one person joining me half way). But otherwise, I paced really well, nailed my nutrition, and felt good (tired, and glad to be done at 6 hours, but still ok). I also did a good job of running to my HR and backing down my pace to keep it under control. This is the spot I've always failed at in prior IM's. I just start out too fast and have a hard time dialing it back. So I'm proud of that effort (even though I had to put my ego on the back burner to do so).