Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 10 of 20

If you aren’t going to go all the way, why go at all. –Joe Namath

Hopefully this was a good training week for everyone.  Things were a little quite here in our forum last week, maybe this week we can step things up a little bit.

My Sunday ride is in the books - https://www.strava.com/activities/381092466

Tomorrow is run in the morning and then swim after work.

Clark

Comments

• Options
    Happy Week 10 and nice to meet you all.

This is my first time thru the grinder of a full IM after doing Vineman half last year. And my first year w EN.

What Ive Learned So Far: Hardest part is keeping your body healthy enough to train. (For me, the rest of it is just punching a clock.)

Looking forward to giving legs a break tmrw after my highest volume week to date.

Be safe!
  • Options
    I set up my calendar to show the last 12 weeks leading into IM AZ. I've done some big efforts on the bike trying to raise my FT, lots of hilly runs looking to build resilience in my legs, and I've actually managed to swim more than I have in my entire life this summer. Now it's time to get serious image

For swim, I plan to push my long swim from 4K to 5K. For bike, add a little more mileage, take away a little intensity, and for run, less hills and more distance on flats.

Need to knock of a few pounds too! That's the hardest part.
  • Options
    Promising myself to post ...if not daily. .at least a weekly summary.
    In brief :last week was first run over about an hour and first ride over 2hr in >6 months. Things a little wonky and did the Thrs run late on Friday with 3.5hr ride Sat. Took Sun off with intention to ride today but got called into work. Suprised at the fatiuge
  • Options
    Chris and Tom, thanks for checking in. Welcome! Yes, it's time to get serious, we're all on the clock with lots of work to do between now and November. On an administrative note, please be sure to put your info in the IMAZ tab of the team event worksheet, found here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n1qBU5AOjYzbNZ9e8DWHNRcNCasV29RxUJX65pSZWso/edit#gid=136

Monday run and swim done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/381626327
    https://www.strava.com/activities/382112386

Now off to get some dinner and then to the grocery since there's no food in the house and I'm tired of being hangry when I get home from the pool!
  • Options
    Hi all,

I got all the wko's in last week but the Friday run.

It's still really hot here in Phoenix and my Tuesday 45' run after dark really sucked. I'm going to switch it up tomorrow and run early am, swim after work. I can do the Wed 25' LSP at night in the heat but not speed work.

I made the mistake of doing Saturday 3.5 hour bike with the local Tri club. I worked way to hard trying to keep up, an ABP Ride at or more than FTP uphill north out of the valley. I got dropped and did a more reasonable pace home. And I actually got out at 0430 to do the run before the 0530 meet up for the ride. 3 hour afternoon nap was needed as well as an earlyish (for me) bedtime.
    Sunday did a flat ride with a group more my speed-spent a lot of time at .7-.75 instead of .8.

Monday swim done in am.
    My last thing tonite is to walk the dogs but a monsoon seems to be brewing-lots of thunder and lightening...

• Options
    55' run done! Mini monsoon last night left cooler temps this am -yea!
    20' WU with WU dog, main set with ever ready pit bull Emma:
    2x 1mi @z4 +4", -14". 1x 1mi shooting for z2 but ended up .85mi @z4+5"

Now off for the swim-lucked out to have a late start at work.

Happy training Tuesday!image
  • Options
    Have to make a correction to previous post.

What I termed mini monsoon was apparently huge. Even though it only sprinkled at my neighborhood, there were huge winds and rain downtown and south and west valley-power out everywhere, flooding, trees down all over.

Paper said today, hottest August on record with 4 days straight that never dropped below 91 degrees at night. Avg temps 107, 3 deg higher, hottest day 117-just lettin y'all know what conditions I have been training in. Predictions are for a warm wet El Niño winter. We've only had one wet IMAZ-2010. Hoping it's dry this year!
  • Options

So where is everybody??

I had a lacluster effort last week on this bike workout, hitting only about .94-.95.  This am was epic:

1x8'@ 1.0, 1x12'@1.03, and 2 (not 3)x 4'@1.2  Feeling strong!  Now out for a little run

• Options
    Good job Betsy. I am here, lurking. I did the bike Tuesday but it was only 10' on the second FTP. I ride the first 16' of Flume for my warmup and then ran out of time so only did 2 of the 110% also. Haven't swam in a couple of weeks and only short bike rides. I guess I will have to kick things into gear soon.
  • Options
    Great weather in So Cal for the long run this morning. Good prep for my Big Day on Saturday.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for keeping the thread going. Lots of work getting done!

I don't know how the AZ peeps do it. I can't run/bike in heat like that. I can, and have, run when it's -10 but there is no way I would want to run when it's 107.

I got my long run done this morning early so I could have the evening off to earn SAUs.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/383889979

Tomorrow is run / swim and then it's off into the holiday weekend.

Keep the posts coming!
  • Options

First Beeline ride of the 2015 training season done!  This is the view right after the turnaround at Shea.

35 min run with z4 mi x1 (+5") done before.  3.5 hours  as written in the plan, including a full beeline line loop extended 10 mi north to the Bush highway and back then a second 20 mile loop for 60 miles.  Did the ride 100% aero which is also a first for the season-as Ive done all my FTP in the hoods.  That 80% was harder than I thought it would be!  The weather has cooled off a bit and the sun was behind clouds so very pleasant day.

Just to catch up, thursday am run only 75 min.  1 hour nailed at LSP then 15'@z2.  I lucked out and had a long break at lunch and one of my 24h fitness gyms 5min from the surgery center I was going to:  35' on mill-10' LSP, 10'z2 and 15'z3

Friday swim only MS 1&2 in an hour-I am forever doomed to be a rock.  And the friday run didn't get done for a second week in a row.

Tomorrow-Via Linda Hills with my sunday group!

Happy holiday weekend to all!

• Options
    I got in a good solid ride on Saturday - https://www.strava.com/activities/385667778
    I pushed my Saturday run to Sunday - https://www.strava.com/activities/386228903
    And finally, I got a little more time in the saddle with Sunday SAU ride with my wife - https://www.strava.com/activities/386554651

I'm up and over 15 hours this week so I'm finally to where I should be, it just took me a little longer to get there than I expected.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend!
  • Options
    So ... tried to do "Big TRI Day" this WED (work TH-FRI 12-14 hrs each and have Army SAT SUN)
    Swim in new X3 wetsuit [trisports 25% off sale image ] PLAN 1hr...Suit=great ...currently having bad Right neck-shoulder pain ...bothered but -doable. then at about 800 yrds L shoulder doing the "ouch--sh!t" clicks of pain most only with breath to R side ....again (labral). quit at 45min 2000 yrds. so not to re-piss it off. Sigh.....
    Bike: PLAN- 4hr Perfect weather....felt great. 20 min @ 150w High Z1 felt reeeely EZ.... started the 5x25' Low Z3 15 min in feeling EZ and flatted... and had wrong spare (to short stem) ...so walked 2 miles (now heal blisters) till got to phone and had to wait 30 min for a pickup then SAU lunch. Did a indoor 2x30'(5) 1.5hr ride at Just bellow Z4 pace [indoor watts harder RPE that's for sure]
    RUN: PLAN 1 hr ...nope...didn't happen.

Will plug in as I can a long run and such the rest of week...likely delay swim for a few days. Work again MON-TUS too so nothing long till WED/THR.