Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD - Week 17 / 20 - 4 to go!

"You should be pretty damn tired" - CoachP in this week's podcast

UH yeah!!!  A 3 day weekend will do that for you!  I did a little cramming this past weekend, as I'm still finding it hard to get that long run in mid-week, so between Sat - Mon, I got my 5 hour ride, t-run, 90min swim, 2.5 hour run, and another 3ish hour ride... whew!!  Feeling tired, but content tonight.  The long run was especially satisfying; I did it solo, so totally stuck to MY training plan (sometimes, I just need a little company to get me out the door, and oftentimes, that does not result in an optimal run.)  Anyhow, it was HOT, but I used HR to control my pace, and it worked like a charm.  Overall, it was a slower pace, but a nice negative split.  Happy and can't wait to see how HR-based pace plays out race day!

Couple other tidbits in CoachP's podcast:
  • can't really improve fitness at this point, but you can improve performance with these changes 
    • swim frequency
    • basic equipment changes - eg. aero helmet, race wheels
    • run basics - drills to make you more efficient
  • Rest!!  - don't skimp on this now
  • If you're shipping your bike, think about how that might accomodate upcoming race rehearsal and training post-shipping; make sure you've got equipment (road bike, borrowed bike, tubes, etc..) to keep bike training after shipping
  • schedule your bike tune-up... ok, that's my bit of advice!

We're peaking on the long run this week - 3 hours... woo hoo!!  We'll see if I can get that in on Thu; might be Sunday again.

Have a great week, all... we are getting close!  Taper time is right around the corner; work these next 2 weeks to really make that taper time oh so sweet!