Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD Week 17 / 20 - 4 to go!

"You should be pretty damn tired" - CoachP in this week's podcast

UH yeah!!!  A 3 day weekend will do that for you!  I did a little cramming this past weekend, as I'm still finding it hard to get that long run in mid-week, so between Sat - Mon, I got my 5 hour ride, t-run, 90min swim, 2.5 hour run, and another 3ish hour ride... whew!!  Feeling tired, but content tonight.  The long run was especially satisfying; I did it solo, so totally stuck to MY training plan (sometimes, I just need a little company to get me out the door, and oftentimes, that does not result in an optimal run.)  Anyhow, it was HOT, but I used HR to control my pace, and it worked like a charm.  Overall, it was a slower pace, but a nice negative split.  Happy and can't wait to see how HR-based pace plays out race day!

Couple other tidbits in CoachP's podcast:
  • can't really improve fitness at this point, but you can improve performance with these changes 
    • swim frequency
    • basic equipment changes - eg. aero helmet, race wheels
    • run basics - drills to make you more efficient
  • Rest!!  - don't skimp on this now
  • If you're shipping your bike, think about how that might accomodate upcoming race rehearsal and training post-shipping; make sure you've got equipment (road bike, borrowed bike, tubes, etc..) to keep bike training after shipping
  • schedule your bike tune-up... ok, that's my bit of advice!

We're peaking on the long run this week - 3 hours... woo hoo!!  We'll see if I can get that in on Thu; might be Sunday again.

Have a great week, all... we are getting close!  Taper time is right around the corner; work it these next 2 weeks to really make that taper time oh so sweet!

Comments

• Options
    I agree on the being tired thing. Actually debating about leaving work a bit early so I can sneak in an afternoon nap before I pick up my daughter from daycare.
    Getting so close to being done.
  • Options
    Yeah… that nap thing - I am not a napper but I sure became one this weekend! My poor husband had such a boring weekend as I acted like a pro and trained in the am, ate, napped, and trained in the pm! Thankfully. He's been through this drill before!
  • Options
    I slept in yesterday because the YMCA pool didn't open until 7! Woohoo! I'm definitely focused on getting in my sleep right now, and already looking forward to the next "Rest Day".

Julie- not sure when exactly you did that long run this weekend, but I'd say it's probably a good idea to push the 3 hour run off until the weekend again this week to give you enough recovery time between them.

This weekend is a big local race (the OBX Tri) with a Half/Oly on Sat and Sprint on Sun. Trouble is, it's right in the middle of my training grounds for the 5 hour ride! So I gotta figure out a way to get in my 5 hour ride without interfering too much with the race. I considered doing the Half, but it really doesn't fit well with the rest of the plan.
  • Options
    PS- just curious, do any of you have the wherewithal to do the "optional" stuff in the plan? I'm tired enough at this point, if it says "optional" I'm out!
  • Options
    @ Nemo....Yep the "optional" stuff just usually gets a roll of the eyes and an audible snicker from me at this point image
  • Options
    Same - I skip anything optional as well.
  • Options
    ditto what everyone else says about the optional stuff; I listen to my body and sometimes skip the non-optional stuff! Better to be under- than over-trained... to a point! image

and Nemo, long run was Sunday, so yeah, it might be too much to repeat, plus some, on Thursday. I just don't seem to fit it in mid-week anyhow. Will probably run long Sunday and do a medium length trainer ride Thursday.
  • Options
    I am definitely in the "arrive healthy and fit" phase. Still doing nearly all workouts but also putting a premium on being uninjured, rested, and not sick and making sure workouts are high quality. Glad to hear others are tired too, I am bushed!
  • Options
    I'm at the point of just trying to get the sessions in as best as I can, keeping the main sessions within each week as priority. so dialing back intensity as needed. Yesterday I did a 30 minute swim and got out saying, "good enough". I was tired.

had to move things around so did my last 18 mile run this morning after dropping my daughter off at school. Speaking of tired...Man it was pretty brutal. I loved getting to sleep in a bit, but that meant starting my run at 9am just as the sun and humidity were ramping up. I also screwed up the pacing of the first hour so it was pretty ugly by the end. Consumed, 55 oz of Gatorade over the 2:32 minutes and it still wasn't enough. Good practice for how much the last 10 miles feel like getting hit by a bus.

Main goal now is to recover for Friday's long bike and short run.
  • Options
    Dang it was hot today to be out there starting at 9! I guess you'll be heat acclimated if it's hot on race day!
  • Options
    Its also not a terrible thing to be slightly humbled at some point during your training. i.e. if you mess up your pacing in the beginning its gonna really suck at the end.

Sarah, Healthy and Fit is a really good strategy.
  • Options
    I kinda like running in the heat of the day periodically, to keep you honest, coz... you never know what race day will throw you. Better to learn the lessons training, plus KNOW that you can do it and how to modify pace / HR / nutrition / expectations. Good learning today, Nate!
  • Options
    3 HRs, 17.4 miles. Pacing as 1st hr: 10:50, 2nd hr 10:30, 3rd hr 9:45. Legs are cooked! I'll be sitting at work today with legs up as much as possible (I usually work from a standing desk). That was a big one, and a confidence builder for sure. Kinda wish I had gotten to 18 miles, but I'm gonna trust the plans. Oh-and the amount of sweat dripping from me at the end was just disgusting! I kept thinking "I'm glad I'll be running in the dark at IMMD- it won't be so hot!"
  • Options
    @Nemo - nice work!

I not only skipped the optional workouts Tuesday and Wednesday, I skipped all the workouts.

I did run one hour today and managed 8 miles. I am trying to listen to my body as some days I do not feel recovered from IMMT and other days I feel great. Per Rich's suggestion, I am keeping all my runs to a maximum of two hours.

I am looking forward to race day.
  • Options
    Thanks William! I'm looking forward to the race too. It feels good to have that big long run in the rear view mirror!

• Options
    I'm so jealous Nemo! Nice work!! I want that long run in my rear view mirror too!
  • Options
    Nice work Nemo!

I too did the long run today - took the morning off work and took advantage of the overcast and somewhat cooler weather. I did 20.5 in about 3:10 - I did 3 x 6.8 mi loop hence the little bit extra distance and time. I was feeling my oats a bit the first 13 miles and overcooked it a bit with both heart rate and pace, which I paid for in the last 5 miles. At least I got that out of my system before race day. Since the run is my thing I really enjoyed today and felt like I managed my nutrition and hydration pretty well.

Shhh...don't tell anyone but it seems things are coming together nicely!! ...At least for today.

Good luck this weekend!
  • Options
    Wow, nice work Sarah! And I know what you mean about things coming together.

About 2 weeks ago a friend said "you must be just ready for the race to hurry up and get here already!" HA! I replied "Hell No! Right now I'm at the "Oh shit, there isn't enough time left to get ready" point in the process. Given me about 2 more weeks and I'll be closer to "ok- I got this, I am gonna be able to make it happen" and then it's another 2 weeks before I'm at the "hurry the hell up, can't we just do this race already" stage!!!

I think I'm hitting those ^^ expectations about right so far.
  • Options
    Week 17....Week 17...First, I feel like I am late to the party on this one. I will start with the long weekend. I swam on Friday evening. Rode for 5 hours on Saturday, Then did OWS for 2.2 miles on Sunday. Surprisingly, I was able to swim much further than I anticipated with out a break. Kept decent form until the break. After the break though...I was tired...Took everything I had to finish but I did. My longest swim to date. My swim yardage has been well below the volume in the plan for weeks. Monday I rode for 3 hours.
    Optional means "do something else with your time". Today, I was able to run for 3:05 and got 18 miles in. Now I don't know what the coach means by increase the effort and push for the last hour because my last hour was HARD AS HELL. I definitely could have used more fluids along the way. I filled my bottle twice. Walking kind of slowly all day. Looking forward to the recovery swim....TOMORROW...Evening. Drinking beer tonight and sleeping until 7 tomorrow. I need some rest.
  • Options
    Long swim done this am - felt surprisingly good considering yesterday was a long run day. I dropped 10 min off my last tt time. I am riding 6 hours on Skyline Dr in the Shenandoah National Park tomorrow...hope my legs hold up!
  • Options
    Some very impressive work here team! Keep it up! We're in the peak!!
  • Options
    Did 4 hours on the trainer yesterday followed by a 6 mile run. Today is OFF...first off day in a while and feel like I need it. i'll do one more run for the week on Sunday to get to my weekly mileage goal. Next week on RR2 week. can you believe it.

my main concern right now is my wife just got diagnosed with Bronchitis. She is away on travel and returns Monday. She's getting on meds today. I may have to sleep in the guest room until she gets better. UGH!!
  • Options
    pouring rain and thunderstorms kept me off the road today...going to do 5 outside tomorrow; I just couldn't stomach a trainer ride today.
  • Options
    Sarah- I got lucky. They were calling for T-storms here but when I woke up the forcast changed completely. I got in 4.5 hours before traffic started to get too sketchy to stay out there (down side to living at the beach).

Nate- thanks for the reminder- time to start wrapping myself in bubble wrap and avoiding interactions with all children! HA!
  • Options
    Another 2 hours today (rain and traffic had me heading back home a little early). TSB is close to -30 and as of this morning's weigh in I have hit race weight. Time to write up my Race Rehearsal Ride plan for next weekend. Can anyone else smell the taper?
  • Options
    Nemo, what's TSB? Awesome job on race weight! I'm getting down there, especially if I weigh myself right after a long run/ride. image Got my long run in the rear view mirror now... woo hoo!! It went really well - again a nice negative split. Only issue was tri shorts; wore an older pair after girlfriends alerted me to butt crack sighting with the EN shorts from yesterday's ride - yikes! Anyone else notice that (or have friends nice enough to point it out??) Older pair, however, gave me some serious chafing - owie in the shower!! Any favorite tri shorts out there, ladies? I'll check EN forums too; I'm sure I've seen this discussed before. Might be too late to mess with this.

Yes, I can feel Taper time coming on... I LOVE tapering!!! Time to absorb the work! Folks, if you haven't already, remember to get your bikes tuned and any last minute equipment adjustments, as well as new running shoes ordered (if needed), and fuel purchases. Enjoy rest of Sunday!
  • Options
    Training Stress Balance. It's a metric in TrainingPeaks/WKO that looks at your cumulative effort over certain amount of time. Mainly a Power metric. There's a big thread over in the power/pace forum about it.

I've found all team kit shorts seem to have a very short lifespan and get a little thin in the ass over time. I'm loving the 2xu active shorts, but of course it really is a very personal thing. For me, less padding is better. Oh- and use chamois butter or Hoo-Ha cream. It really does work!
  • Options
    Wow, Nemo, sounds like things are really falling into place for you. Congrats on a great training week.

Julie, I don't have team short, didn't order them before the store closed, but I second Nemo's affection for the 2xu shorts.

Got my long ride in today...hold on to your seats, it was so cold at skyline drive my teeth were chattering at mile 25! Instant fall. While my swim and run this week both exceeding expectations the bike fell well short. It was very dissappointing the see metrics similar to back in March. I am hoping the cumulative fatigue I have right now is a factor. Also, though, recognizing that the bike is going to be my weakest link thereby making it all the more important to execute well so I can run in a way that is reflective of my fitness.

Sure inspiring to see all the posts from WI today!

• Options
    Weekend closing out week 17 was not good. Only rode for 3 of the 5 hours on the schedule for Saturday. Sunday I totally skipped the 3 hour ride and was a normal person for the day. I am almost over this IM MD training. When is taper again? We still have a Race rehearsal this weekend.......All of my training partners are done with the long rides. image
  • Options
    Hang in there, Keith. I feel your pain! All my training buddies are done too, off to Cozumel 70.3 this weekend (to which my husband says "and we're going to Maryland??" image I've pretty much resigned myself to a solo RR, but that way, it is more efficient and you stick to YOUR plan. I did map out a 2 x 50 mile route, so plan to put out an email early this week to a few non-racing friends to see if anyone wants to play for 50. Either way, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. You'll be there this time next week. Now is the time to really listen to your body so if it told you this weekend I'm wackered, rest up this week and try to hit the spirit of the RR on Sat. The finish is near!!!