Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 12 of 20

“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.” 

? Alan Cohen

Welcome to Week 12, which for most of us is probably a recovery and test week.  Rest is important, treat it like a workout and make it a priority!

My big training day went very well other than the weather.

Swim - https://www.strava.com/activities/390811348

Bike part 1 - https://www.strava.com/activities/390769606

Bike part 2 - https://www.strava.com/activities/390769647

Run - https://www.strava.com/activities/390811388

Hopefully everyone had a great training weekend.

Comments

• Options
    fuddled last week including "Big day"- not so much.... with Army weekend = some weight training and very small amt of leg body weight training-as instructor then 1 hr of short field soccer (still can out footwork and off foot kick the "kids" image )...but wow am I sore today LOL I suppose it was the full ROM squats and single leg DLs + lateral movements that got me. I'd say it was good "Pre-Hab" training though as all this big volume bike run tends to set me up for perifomas syndrome and the like.
    Likely will try and do test ride (maaaaby run) today or tomorrow and will do WED as a make up "Sunday ride" then the standard SAT-SUN double to get my VOL back up. hopefully more standardized training coming up....though "life events" will cause me to shift my weekends FWD a day or 2 particularly the BIG TRI week. I have a "fun Sprint" on 27th that I wont taper for but will be a "tues" speed work day and Major SAU deposit -its at a local resort so we are doing the frosty drinks at poolside post and romantic overnight after LOL.
  • Options
    My big day didn't go quite as well as planned but got it done.

I considered several different options to hack the day as it was still going to be 105 degrees by noon.
    I found out Friday that there was a OWS at tempe town lake at 7:30 so I had to sign up.
    45' run early, z2
    Then down to the lake. 1hour, 2000 m swim-yes record slow as I changed stroke in lesson and really focused on that. 84 degrees no wetsuit.
    Then a group of us left about 9 and rode out to beeline. We rode 20 mi(10 mi north of shea ) then turnaround at Bush highway, all downhill from there. It was after 11, over 100 and I lost it. Just couldn't generate any power. But, got it done.
    Definitely will get those long rides started much earlier from here on out!

Had to work Sunday, and it was really nice just sleeping in until I had to get ready

I did two weeks of testing just a few weeks ago and am not going to test this week. I will be working on this new stroke and kick from my TI swim lesson last Wednesday, and do wed/thurs like last week.
  • Options
    Today is an FTP test for me. I'm looking forward to it and also dreading it at the same time. I made major FTP gains early in this season, so I'm curious to see if I've managed to hold the line, or if I've started to lose FTP now that I'm focused on riding long. Should be interesting (and painful) either way.

The Monday swim went well enough. I was still pretty tired from the big day on Saturday.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/392446225

Hope everyone is having a good week!
  • Options
    Gerrrrrrrr.....still at work.
    Diddnt get to bike store for new tubes..... Or WKO done today....or realy even yesterday (20 min PIs and bike form drills dont make up for lost training over weekend)

Sigh.....
  • Options
    OK... did outdoor bike test https://www.strava.com/activities/393753391
    Then some slt above IM GRPwr devolving into Z1 struggle against crazy winds for a 4 hr ride.
    So..... VO2 test cut down to ~4 min due to a intersection but #s about what I could do for 5 ...(+) even a bit
    and 20 min test done a little longer with a turn at 1/2 way to round out the ave speed ~ about a 1 deg climb out leg.
    VO2: 174HR 345ave pwr (about 365NP)
    FTP test: 172HR AVE PWR 260 ...266 when edit out the turn NP out 268 back 272 Soooooo I used 265 so as to not over estimate image

I had been using 230 FTP From a old indoor test. This gives me a Out door FTP of 252 wow

Now..... if I can just get the endurance up. I feel great for 2.5 hrs ....sh!ty after 3 + even doing Z1-2......
    of course this was -by far, my longest ride in a year. And it was>95 degrees out.... (nice re-tri top re-sunburn)
    overall happy -ish. This FTP is right where I want to be for IMAZ with a GRPw 185-190 (high Z2) and a AVE speed of 20-2121MPH
  • Options
    Got it all in today but not as strong as last Saturdays long ride. Possibly due to the testing this week? Felt like it. Kept grinding it out anyway. Sunday ride gonna be more like recovery than ABP I suspect.
  • Options
    As i said earlier, I never tested this week, having done so right before week 9. Wednesday, I did the previous week bike and In fact, was pleased I did 1.02, and .99 on FTP sprints. I took Thursday as a much rest/mental health day as I worked past midnight wednesday. Friday I did the low priority run with a z5 and a z4 mile to make up for no test thursday and swam.
    Saturday, I planned to do the whole workout. run, done. Bike on the beeline started about 7. I got the 3 hours/ first five 20' endurance in at .75-.78 then went over a nasty bump, first flat of the season. It took me two tubes to get it done (handn't changed a tire in over a year, fumbled the first and broke the stem; 2nd attempt was quick and flawless). Got back on the bike and my aero bars were pointing down nearly touching front wheel, not loose at all, unable to fix. Leaning forward in a very uncomfortable position with hands on the hoods. So day over before that last one hour loop. Luckily I was only 2 mi from car and just cruised easily.

Today, tempe life time olympic. So had to get those handle bars fixed saturday afternoon. This is the exact same race i did in april and May (lifetime marquee in april, tempe international in may). I looked at it as a hard training day, after yesterday, and my goals were to enjoy the swim, PR the transitions and have a good transition into the first few miles of the run. I knew it was going to be HOT so wasn't expecting to have a PR on the run.
    Swim-very comfortable, really focusing on form (changed stroke and kick 2 weeks ago in lesson), sighting perfect. Usual 'rock' speed (7/7)
    T1 -1/7-score! 1:46-a PR
    Bike 2/7 and a 4' PR. I wasn't planning on trying to PR but felt really good, so kept the 2nd loop .85.9 as much as possible-I knew the run would be too hot to PR
    t2-2/7 and not a PR by 40s (i sat longer than usual putting on shoes as I didn't pee on the bike and sat in the grass peeing like a race horse and couldn't get up for like 30s-LOL)
    run-not my best at all (4'slower than PR), 3/7. I did come off the bike and ran the first two at goal pace, just couldn't pick up the pace, spent a little longer getting water at aid stations. But never walked, and actually negative split the last mile, with a sub z5 sprint down the shoot.

We swam just as we will for Ironman (turnaround came a lot sooner of course)-and getting out of the water is easy. Plenty of volunteers to pull you up the steps-they tell you: feet on bottom step, grab my arm-next thing you know you are out and running
  • Options
    For me, last week is the start of the endurance build (and hopefully maintain!). Found time for a 5K swim, my first 4+ hour bike ride in a long time and ran 18 miles for the first time since my TX race in the spring. Tired but not completely beat up
  • Options

Great job everyone on getting out there and doing the work this week.  The end of September is rapidly approaching (yikes) and there is more big work ahead.

Camp week is only two weeks away, so start your planning now, if you have not already.  My road bike is going in for a tune and new cables this week and I'm scheduling a tune for my tri bike sometime around RR #2.

The week 13 thread is up and available now as well.  

Clark

• Options
    OK....To cap off this first "real" IM VOL week -actually a "Big Bike week -sorta as it was 11.5hrs riding from prior weeks 4-6 hrs total here are the last few days....

THR: Long run ...not liking anything over 8 miles....just no energy for it yet imagehttps://www.strava.com/activities/394512941
    FRI: 4.5hr ride 6x 20' Z2-3....felt rough after 3.5 hr...could have been the heat..but no fun https://www.strava.com/activities/395721169
    SUN: 45min of WU not included: https://www.strava.com/activities/396790238

Rides all based on new bigger watts...I believe the zones but surprised at my lack of endurance (shouldn't be as everything has been OLY distance...but ...)
    general fatigue is definitely here now... will get MON EZ then a jumbled mess till SUN "fun" Sprint. will try and get my long run and bike TUE/WED with likely sacrificing ABP ride.