Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo Thread, week 18, 21-27 Sept

3 more weeks!  1 good week of build left, one last race rehearsal, and then we turn to taper / logistical planning.  Get those last key sessions in but make sure you are listening to your body. 

Comments

• Options
    It's almost a culture shock when I come to Seoul. Okinawa is a small, rural, agricultural island where the two main cities are only cities in the most generous sense of the word. On my morning runs, I share the road with 3-4 60+ year old married couples out getting their morning walks on. When I come to Korea, I stay in down town Seoul (Gangnam district) and see 200+ people on the trails by the Han river on my morning runs. Everything from walkers, aerobics peeps, runners, bicycle commuters, and even committed roadies out hammering (a 8 person pro-kit Garmin and Giant peloton was this morning's highlight). All before dawn. Fun to see.

The best part is I got 6 miles in loving me some 60 degree temperatures!
  • Options
    @ Roy - did you run Gangnam Style? image
  • Options
    @Paul, although my run was not particularly swaggy, there is lots of Gangnam Style all over the hotel / area I'm in. South Korean ballers all around. Its very interesting to see.
  • Options
    I have a runner friend who lives there in Seoul and have heard about the trails by the Han river. She does a lot of races there and it is always interesting to hear about it, the differences in how things are done.
    Travel for work this week through to Wednesday night, can get in running but no swim, or bike which is a big bummer since both those are my weak spots.
  • Options
    @Anu, its very interesting here and I really like the city. Running this afternoon, the river side fitness trails and parks were packed with people (not surprising for a city of 10+ million, more if you consider the entire Seoul metropolitan area). Apparently Discovery, BMC, and Trek are crazy popular kits for this area (or at least today they were).

2k SCM swim in the hotel pool yesterday afternoon, a late wake up (stupid cozy bed) resulted in no a.m. session, but I got another 8 miles in this afternoon after my conference meetings were complete. Looking to do some stationary bike in the morning and another swim tomorrow afternoon.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Options
    After the hard biking this past weekend, I decided I would run 15 miles if it killed me and it nearly did. I wasn't able to get up Monday morning so I started at 7pm last night when the temperature was down to 88. It was ugly and I should just retire, but 15 miles is in the books...my longest all summer in Tampa. I think my legs were shot from the weekend, but the heat and humidity didn't help. Hoping for better at Louisville.

I'm sure you are all aware of the news reports on the toxic algae bloom that is all over the Ohio river. It will probably persist through at least 7 days out when the weather cools, but folks on ST are getting nervous. In the event of canx, I have floated a trial balloon the missus about using IMLOU as a training day and taking that fitness into IMFL 4 weeks later. I hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Options
    Lots of biking, running, swimming, sleeping and eating. Ah, the life of a week 18 Ironman athlete! Back to back bike rides on Sunday and Monday. Sunday 5hr ride (92miles with ~5k elevation) then a 6 mile (8:18 pace) brick run, Monday 3hr trainer ride with high Z3 work for 90%. Today swim 3500m after a great TM session of 20' @3% pace 8:25. I've yet to say this leading up to an ironman and I don't want to jinx myself, but I finally feel really good running. I'm begging and praying this holds on.
    @Paul, I've heard the talk about the algae and I'll be honest I'm a little nervous myself. I'm hoping it clears up! I don't have a fall back plan (AZ or FL) although I wish I did. Next year I'm signed up for Placid already but may sign up for MD (it's in my backyard) too so that I have a plan B if Plan A doesn't work out...you are very smart Paul! Great job on the 15 mile run btw. Having lived in Naples FL for a few years in the late 90s, I can't imagine running more than 5 miles in that heat and humidity. Just training in that alone is going to result in an amazing race for you in a few weeks, I'm sure of it!
  • Options
    RE: Ohio River - Apparently, this isn't my year. My warm up race (Incheon 70.3) got moved to an untenable date for me due to the MERS outbreak and now this. My wife spent 20 minutes talking me off a ledge this morning. While its definitely too early to over-react (too late for me), it is cause to pay attention. I'll save my speculation on stuff until next week when we'll all be in taper madness anyways image
  • Options
    The race director for IM Louisville swims at the same time/pool where I do most of my swim training. If he's there tomorrow morning I will pulse him for the back up plan. Eric is a pretty quiet guy; plus he swims circles around me, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is tight lipped. Meanwhile, I have my fingers crossed that this will pass.

@ Danielle - plan B is only a notion at this point. I can buy a slot from EST, but it will cost $1050. But PCB is only a 6 hour drive and the cheapest of all IM options. I know the family would jump on a 3rd trip to Cozumel but my folks are coming for Thanksgiving and I don't have many years with them left.
  • Options
    Today's work: Slept in. 2000 yards swim at lunch. 35 mins at Snap Fitness after work followed by 4.26 mile run.
  • Options

@Stephan @Paul

Per your request, here is my recovery and training since WI: Race 9/13

• No workouts Mon-Thurs (legs stopped soreness Thurs/doesn't mean I am recovered though)
    • Fri swim 3200 yds
    • Sat swim 4200 yds/bike 2:15
    • Sun swim 4200 yds/bike 1:40
    • Mon swim 4300 yds
    • Tues ran 6 mi (ran easy, with eye on making sure nothing felt bad/injured)

Coach R suggested I drop back into the same plan you all are on (int version), but no run longer than 1:45, bike no longer than 4 hrs and a modified race rehearsal.

Had a race review call with Coach P today and he had some excellent suggestions re WI execution and adjustments for LOU (lower hr at start of bike and run and keep pedaling on the bike/less coasting) .

I feel pretty good at this point!  Just read a Tim Cronk post (http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19688/Default.aspx) stating that he felt strongest 3 weeks after his first IM (when he did 2 IMs close to each other).  Hope that works for me, however I know I am no Tim Cronk!

Keep up the great work all!  Getting close!

• Options
    The end is in sight. I did my 2x1 Z4 yesterday afternoon and hit 7:06 and 7:04. Felt good but, dang, those things hurt toward the end. After my run I went to an OW swim and did 1.2 miles with local tri club. Time was 30 minutes which is a little slow but it was after the run and no wetsuit. Felt like a good pace. Ran again this morning with group and did 9 miles at Z2. Then this afternoon I did 2x15 FTP on the drainer.

Looking forward to this weekend, it looks like I made a good decision last weekend. My race rehearsal plans for this weekend are gonna be shut out by the weather. Fortunately I did it last weekend and feel pretty good about where I am with nutrition and training. It is supposed to rain here all weekend and I'm not willing to risk riding in heavy rain. Gonna do several longer trainer rides this week (long for me is 2-3 hours). Cleared this with Coach Rich. Can still run and swim so just gonna try to get in the volume.

Welcome to the group Alan. I'm impressed that you're doing this again in with just a few weeks rest. Hope everyone can finish strong.
  • Options

Guess I should chime in.

Monday had a solid swim.

Skipped swim Tuesday but ran my 2 x 1 miles.  Was averaging around 7:30 pace.  A little slow but close.  It has warmed up here again in Wisconsin.  Nice temps.  

Ran today, hit a good tempo run for 40 minutes at lunch.   Getting dark earlier here, but got in a solid 1 x 15 FTP and 1 x 20 FTP, I had planned on stopping at 15 minutes on the second round, but it started getting dark sooner than I planned and I didn't have any lights. 

I"m feeling pretty strong on the bike,  OK on run and swim.

Plan on doing a solid race rehearsal with swim bike run all on Saturday at goal race pace.

Sunday I'm going to go have a fun OWS in the Black river here to make sure my Wet Suit works and I can swim in a river.  Can't practice the algae though since we aint got none. 

ROY and others could you share your race plan for IMLOU with me.  I would love to see it as I devise mine.  I have my IMWI race plans, but this is a totally different race, and I need to get it updated and current.

Roy, we had an exchange student who lived with us last year from Korea.  He loved watching IMWI.   We hope to go visit his family some time. 

Alan, maybe someday, but I cannot imagine doing two IMs like that. Hope you have some of the Tim mojo.

• Options
    @ Alan - that is a strong return on the swim! I usually come back slow on the run with a graduated distance..e.g., 2 miles after 4 days, then 3, then 4, etc. Anyway, it looks like you are ready to crush another one.

Wed work for me: AM - swim 3200 yards; PM - bike 31 miles on the trainer. Supposed to be 2 x 20mins but my legs were not back from the very strong bike double I did last weekend. So I went 4 x 10 mins with the first at Z4 (ow) and the rest at high Z3.
  • Options
    Wake up team!! I'm already posting today's workouts:
    AM - Ran 6 miles. Things are looking better and the lows are now mid-70s. It was overcast and it took 3 miles before my shoes were totally soaked instead of the usual 2.
    Lunch - Quick swim for 1800 yards.
    PM - Ran 5 miles. It rained on me the entire time so I was able to run faster than in the morning. I wore my new EN sleeved suit to test it out. It's tight but it fits right! And I know my body comp is improved because it fits better than it did when I first tried it on a few weeks ago.

@ Stephan - my race plan is fluid. Nutrition is same as always. This will be my first IM TT start and I think I will go towards the back, start easy and build speed to IM threshold. Hoping for 75 mins or better and T1 under 5 mins. Bike has over 5000 ft of climbing so breaking 6 hours should be a good result. Holding to 70% FTP and ride the hills right. Run- who know? Maybe 4:20-4:30 if the weather is right. I really don't know since I slip some each year no matter what I do. No wonder people start dropping like flies in their late 50s. You work your butt off to slow the rate of decline, not to improve. Sometimes it is really depressing. But I'm going to keep on banging my head on the wall. Realistically, anything sub 12 will be good but I won't kick myself too hard if I don't make it.
  • Options
    @Stephen - I'm going to write / post my race plan next week. It will be slightly different because my build wasn't the best and I'm prioritizing some family events/travel in the week prior to the race. IM loses when you only get a limited opportunity to spend time with your family.

Sigh... Back in Oki. On Thursday night, a local friend took me and one of my contractors out to dinner in an area of Seoul not frequented by tourists or Americans. Had Korean BBQ at a 'mom-and-pop' hole in the wall restaurant and it was one of the better meals I have ever had. Ended up eating waaaaayyyyy to much meat and woke up Friday morning all puffy with sodium retention. Fun times. Ended up with Seoul totals of: 3 runs/20 miles, 1 30 minute stationary bike ride, and 2 swims for 4k SCM. Got in today mid afternoon and hit my 4k SCM swim rehearsal. I so didn't want to go to the pool after sitting jammed up in the back of a C-130 all day, but I forced myself to change over and get there. Glad I did now. As always, we have a tropical storm coming in this weekend, so I'm up early tomorrow to assess the wx and make the outdoors/trainer call. Really hoping to go outdoors, but I won't if there is significant rain forecast-ed for the morning.

Keep on it everyone, last big weekend!
  • Options
    Horrible week training wise as I expected. travel for work with a big team means shared cars. Also between late dinners and drinks and early mornings I couldn't do a thing, not without sacrificing sleep. Swam about 2000 yds this morning. Also practiced jumping in, think I have mentioned I have all sorts of crazy fear issues with water and jumping is a big one. Not surprisingly since my last swim was over a week ago, I had regressed and actually needed my husband to hold my hand and sort of push me in the first time to get me to jump after that it got better, just have to keep at it. (yes you may laugh :p) I feel so silly but there you go fear monster in my head.

Race rehearsal tomorrow, am very lucky and can do this at an actual race nearby which has an aquabike option. So a true rehearsal! Course has about 3000 -3500 ish feet of elevation, they said it was rolling, weather looks nice, wind is max at 10 mph which is a relief that course has been less than fun with wind. Will come back and report.
  • Options
    @Paul hope I am as "slow" as you in my fifties image Sounds like a solid plan. You guys will all be several beers in when I get to the finish line image
  • Options
    Good luck with everyone's race rehearsals tomorrow! Anu, you are so lucky to have a local race to use as your rr! @Roy, sadly I think I'm with you on the indoor RR this weekend. Best day here is tomorrow but Saturday family commitments aren't allowing me the 8hr window I need. Sunday looks like rain all day and as much as I want to believe I'm badass and can handle it, I'm not stupid enough to risk all the work I've put in to chance an accident. Right now it may be a last minute decision, but it looks as though I'm going to be riding the trainer for 6hrs image. I've done 5 already this season, so an extra hour won't kill me (or will it, ha!). Crossing my fingers that it will be just a drizzle.

Past few days of training have been good, up until today. Wed did my 2x1 wko and was so happy to have run my fastest mile repeats to date (7:13 and 7:01). My tummy wasn't feeling great during the run and continued throughout the day, so I bailed on the 4500m swim. Thursday, got up and felt good. Took to the pool for my 4500m swim, then jumped on the bike for a 2x20' FTP hour and finished the wko with a TM 5k@8:27pace...great workout for me!! Today I had a bad long run. Got 10.5 miles in and called it quits...legs were heavy and wouldn't turn over. Went and got another massage to make me feel better as I was kinda down about the crappy run. Not sure what I will do tomorrow...maybe an easy 5-6mile run, will see in the morning.
  • Options
    Danielle - Good decision to go with the trainer unless it really clears up. Has been really nasty here in NC and I decided earlier this week to go with multiple rides on the trainer. I also know what you mean about heavy legs. Ran into that yesterday.

Good luck to everyone else on the RR. Anu- we'll all be happy to "help" you in the water on race day. Sometimes all you need is a good push. image

Was planning to do 3 hours on trainer today but sensors all quit when I started so I took it as a sign. Oh well, back at it tomorrow.
  • Options

Anyone else going to swim before race rehearsal?

I plan on going to the y @8am (not going to do what Coach P says and totally mimic the race and get up extra early,  you have to be kidding)

Swim 4200, then drive about 15 minutes to start of bike.  Picking a relatively flat course (@2300 ft elevation), and then running for an hour.

Any of you doing all three too?

Got in a decent long run Thursday followed by an optional  "recovery" swim.  Ran again this morning briefly at the Wisconsin Dells.  beautiful, but tired legs.  Had a wonderful massage this afternoon.  My legs are tired!

• Options
    Stephan, I plan on doing all three on Sunday. Swim at Lifetime around 6, drive 15' home, hop on the trainer already set up in the garage (in case there is a break in the weather, I will hop off and ride) then run for an hour in the hood (rain or shine).
  • Options
    @Stephan - I did my swim today. I tried to figure out a way to swim/bike/run tomorrow, but there's too much drive time between the pool and the place I want to ride/run. At the moment, I'm just hoping to survive the heat - it's supposed to be 100 tomorrow (not good). I'm disappointed about the heat, but I guess I'll just do the best I can.

@Anu - jealous that you have an aquabike you can do tomorrow - that seems like the perfect thing for a RR. Good idea to practice the jumping in! I've had water issues before too. I think I'll follow your lead and do a couple practice jumps image

This week has been good so far for me. Thursday's run felt great. And the swim this morning felt good too. A new pool just opened up near me. It's a short course pool, but it's nice and new, and better yet -- people don't know about it so it's generally empty. Looking forward to getting tomorrow's work done, and then getting some rest. I'm tired!

All the work everyone is doing is inspiring. Good luck to everyone on the RR this weekend!
  • Options
    Anu - I love catered race rehearsals! I've done the Great Floridian aquabike as a RR 3 times as prep for IMAZ and IMCOZ. After I finished, I would put my bike in the car and then go jog along the course. The only thing I didn't like was spectators on the run telling me "You can do it!" when the entire plan was to quit at 6 miles.

@ Danielle - stop getting faster! image

Today - 4200 yards in the pool this morning. 35 mins weight session at Snap Fitness after work followed by a 4 mile run. The humidity is back. I ran without a singlet tonight, soaked my shoes early and did a complete hose down in the driveway. I keep towels in the garage so I can dry off before coming in.
  • Options

@Paul Its all about perception, I would jump up and down if I could finish in 12 hrs!  Heck 12 1/2!  

@ Danielle One of my long bikes earlier this yr had just a little rain, should have done the drainer, but the thought of 5+ hrs indoors pushed me to ride outside, sure enough I crashed about 1 hr in!  I was lucky and didn't break anything!  Your call, but not worth the risk in my opinion, especially this close to the race!

4500yds in the pool today!

9 mi run on the Chicago lakefront yesterday!  Nice!

Good luck all on your RR!

• Options
    @Paul, gotta keep getting faster if there is any chance I can catch you on the run! :-)
  • Options
    Tampa weather today: high of 91 and the 3 words I hate to hear: "deep tropical moisture." I set my alarm for 6:30 and rolled out of bed at 7:15am. At least I would be fresh to face the heat. I focused hard on hydration and staying within my watts and actually had a good ride - 116 miles at 6hrs flat. My Garmin hit 116 about 2 seconds before it rolled to 6:00:00 and I was within 200 yards of the house...loved it. I haven't done a brick run in a loooooong time because it's just too hot in the afternoon but I thought I would try. Goal pace is only 10 flat so looking for 10:30. The seabreeze was bringing storms but the sun was out in a hole in the clouds and it just wouldn't go away. First mile: 9:40, WTH. Second mile, 9:17 WFT! Heart rate spiking. Slowed mile 3 to 10:02 and made it to a park where I laid down for 10 mins since I was close to heat exhaustion. Finally the clouds moved in and I restarted. Rain coming and I'm thinking I could actually make 6 miles, but then came the lightning - and a lot of it. Managed to slow mile 4 to 10:10 and was feeling much better but pulled the plug as the strikes were just too close. Checked the weather and I had started the run in 112 heat index. It would have been a great RR if I was prepping for a hot weather IM instead of Louisville.
  • Options
    @Paul: Great Job on your RR! 116 miles in 6 hours - awesome! Especially with that heat and humidity.

My RR didn't go quite as planned. My ride was good - I was able to go just over 96 miles in the 6 hours (which is a new record distance in a RR for me). I started early, but as the day went on it just got hotter and hotter. I think it was around 100 when I got off the bike. Unfortunately, I fell behind on fluids and nutrition in the last part of the ride. There comes a point when I can't stomach HOT gatorade, HOT water, HOT gels. Everything was hot. My bike was hot. The wind was hot. The good news is I know where I went wrong, because I've felt like this before (if I'd only learn). The other good news is I don't think it will be this hot in Louisville (please let it not be that hot). When I got of the bike I felt sick to my stomach. I ended up sitting in my car for ten minutes with the air conditioning on trying to cool down and convince myself to run. I managed to convince myself to try a mile and go from there...so I tried, and right away I knew the run was not going to happen (unfortunately, there was no shade to hide in, and the sun exposure was just too much at that point). I went back to my car and drove to the nearest place to get some ice. Oh well. Although it didn't go as planned, I feel okay about it.
  • Options

Jennifer, I am with you on hating the hot.  It was unseasonably warm here at 80 degrees, but I'm not complaining.  Very nice for Wisconsin.

I felt good overall with my race rehearsal.  I didn't put out the watts that i was shooting for.  It was the first time I threw in the long swim before though and I think the cumulative fatigue was impacting me slightly.  I think I am on target for finally breaking that 12 hour mark if everything holds together like today.  That feels good although I'm not going to get my hopes too high.  ALways other factors.  The main thing is I feel ready.

The only thing I am concerned about after the rehearsal is the wheel cover. At times it seems to start rubbing a little when I hit a bump or get too much Gatorade on it and it gets sticky.  It was very slight, but I think I will take it off and not worry about it until I have more time practicing with it and feeling safe that it won't malfunction.  One less possible part to break.

Great job everyone!

• Options

Hello Folks, Hope your weather is improving.  I hate to rub it in, but it couldn't be any better here in Wisconsin right now.  Very little wind, sunny and upper 70s.  I love living here this time of year.  It's actually warmer than normal for late September, which is fine with me.

That made it possible to get in an (unauthorized) OWS on my day off.  I wanted to get the old wetsuit on again since it has been awhile. It also gave me a chance to make sure my goggles were working (they actually were not) and to get used to some river swimming and sighting. Felt good and strong even after my killer day yesterday.  

Right now, I am relaxing and watching the bike course on youtube. Have another massage scheduled shortly. Time to recover and get ready. So two logistical questions:  1) on the swim, I am so used to getting water on my arms and back prior to OWS I guess you have to do that first time jumping in the water. Hopefully, the goggles will work too.  I like having time to swim before a race. That will be a challenge. Also, no water acclimation.  Any suggestions for how or when to do some of this after jumping in.  I would imagine you would want to swim out some so that you don't get in the way of others.

2) I'm looking at the left turn onto Ballard School road which is on a downhill.  Is it easy to miss? Also, I am heavy and want to take advantage of downhills since I go slow uphill.  Can you hit that left turn fast, or should I just plan on slowing down?  Roy?