Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo thread, week 19 - 28 Sept - 04 Oct TAPER MADNESS!!!!!

It's time Team, the hardest part of any EN Ironman Training Plan:  The Taper!!!  Now, its all about mental execution and pacing, not physical prowess.  This week (and next), our minds will come up with all kinds of crazy thoughts (one more race rehearsal will make me stronger, I need to do one more 20 mile run, now that my triathlon volume is decreasing - its a perfect time to introduce boxing, full contact football, rugby, mixed martial arts, rock climbing)... Don't laugh, it will happen to all of us.  When those 'good' ideas start coming up (you know, I really want a new, different brand of saddle...), please first stop yourself and re-read all of the taper / race week guidance in the wiki.  If it still sounds like a good idea, please tell us (or even better, Coach P) about it so we can gently 'offer' some of our thoughts.

Regardless of that single GREAT!!!!  / or HORRIBLE  workout fore-front in your mind that you think is going to make or break your IM Louisville, relax.  You've done a lot of hard, consistent work.  You are ready to show up on race day and execute based on the FITNESS YOU HAVE.  Remember what RnP preach, race day is about smart execution, not fitness.  Now is the time to consolidate our gains, rest, and focus on showing up on race day the freshest and most-rested we can be.  We still have some workouts on the schedule, but make smart decisions based on your personal experience / conditions as it applies to your taper.  If in doubt, reach out to Coach P in a MICRO thread or to the rest of us here.  Let's all show up to the Ville in the best possible condition.

Time to start finalizing (and posting) your race plans, getting your logistics in order, and getting your mind right for travel, registration, and racing.  Let's do this!!!

Comments

• Options

Thanks for getting week 19 started.  I'm up earlier than I want to be to go for another swim at the YMCA.  I don't like getting up early to begin with and the darker mornings make it more difficult.  After the workout, I take my bike in for a complete tune up, new tires, etc....  My bike is so full of gatorade gunk I don't know what to say.  It has never gotten this bad.  The race rehearsals plus the torpedo bottle's quick fill lid weakening has contributed to this, poor bike mechanic.  He said he could "deep scrub" it.

I will take your advice Roy and read about tapering to get in the mood. Please post your race reports to help me get mine done. I'm procrastinating.  

• Options
    Thanks Roy, I needed to hear that. I did my RR the previous weekend and it went well. This past weekend was not good for several reasons. Now I'm feeling like I need to catch up on the bike. We'll see.
  • Options
    Thanks Roy very good stuff. I've been telling myself something Coach Rich always says Race day is not about fitness but about execution, I have to execute to the fitness I have.

I took yesterday off and will take today off as well as was advised by the folks in the med tent. Pushing fluids and peeing all day long. image
  • Options
    Up early for a swim. Considering a run, although I think I'm skipping the interval part. My bike is at the shop getting a pre-race once over and cleaning. @Stephan - my bike is a sticky mess too. Excited to have it all clean and shiny for the race. Will take it for a short ride tomorrow in the morning to make sure all is in working order, and then I have to drop it off with TriBike Transport.
  • Options

started raining here, all the excuse (along with tired legs) to skip the run.  Got in a good swim this morning though, followed by a massage.  Oh that was great!  Signed up for two more before next week.

My bike mechanic said he was cussing all day trying to get that gatorade gum varnish off my bike.  That all came from last weekend when my torpedo bottle started leaking. 

Oh, did I say I'm starting to get excited! hope I don't eat too much.

• Options
    Just looked at tomorrow's wko. 30 minute run after a bike ride. Says to go out at Z4 and back at Z3. I can't run for 15 min at Z4. WTF? What is y'alls interpretation? Taper Panic!!!
  • Options
    Taper week...yeah! But not today. Travelling so bike had to come first. Started my day with 91 mins on the drainer for 29 miles and TSS = 93. I used Spinervals "Quads on Fire" which includes 2x12 mins at HIM pace, 2x8 mins at oly pace, 2x6 mins at Sprint pace, and 3x1 min at V02 pace. That was my last intense bike w/o before Louisville. Flew up to Tennessee and drove to Tullahoma. I got in 8 miles this afternoon on a very, very hilly road. Running distances will progressively shrink from this point.
  • Options
    @Jay - If it sounds fishy, make the best call you can. Like Paul, I'm doing some hacking this week due to life and travel commitments. I'm trying to swim daily and am not doing any 'leg two-a-days', i.e. from this point forward, I won't run/bike on the same day.

I got in a 5 mile run yesterday (all EP) and a 2k swim in at lunch. I did a one hour trainer session (SF Fight Club - love me that Fabian) this morning and am trying to get out the door for a lunch time swim.

I plan to throw up my 2 week taper / race week / race plan later today. Its a bear, but its coming.
  • Options

Jay, i thought the same thing about the run tomorrow. I won't do anymore bricks.  Will probably run 30-35 minutes at lunch with some zone 2, and maybe a few strides.  Then will do an hour ride in the evening before our conference call or webinar with Coach P.  I need to make sure my bike is working after the mechanic worked on it.  The tires look nice, so does the new tape and the really clean cassette!

• Options
    Finally getting a few minutes to update. I wrote out a long recap of my RR2 on Sunday evening only to have it not save and post…that will be the last time I do that on my iPhone image. So here is the short version for those that didn't see what I did on Strava. Sunday morning I got up and drove to the pool. It was drizzling out and pretty chilly. My plan was to ride outside, but had the trainer set up at home just in case. Got in the pool by 6:45am and swam 2000m with my Roka long sleeve (hadn't swam in it yet this season). Got way too hot and had to take it off, but wow swimming in a full wetsuit make you FAST! Swam 1000m with a pull then another 1000m without. Total 4K in 1:11. Changed and drove 5 minutes down the road to start the bike. It was still drizzly and cold, but not raining bad enough to not ride. I was riding on the bike trail heading west, which just so happens to pass through the town I live in so if the rain picked up I could just bike home to where my trainer was waiting for me in the garage. Rain held out and the farther west I went the clearer it got. Saw the sun peek out a few times, but overall a cool, overcast, slightly windy 6 hour ride. 6 hours, ~5k feet climbing and 109 miles later I was back to the car. Got the shoes on and headed out for an hour run. Ran way too fast (8-8:10 pace) for the first 3.5 miles and it came back to haunt on the way back. Ran 7 miles in an hour with about a 15-20"walking break every mile. Can and will not do this in Lou…even if I have to walk even longer to bring my pace down within the first hour.

The good news is that I am happy to have finished yet another RR2 and that I didn't have to ride on the trainer. The bad news is that I was not feeling my best on the bike. It was a struggle to maintain watts and even more of a struggle to stay positive. By mile 80 I was so over it. It may have just been the day, or that Im tired or a comb of both, but let me say I am so glad Sunday was not the actually race. Discouraged a bit because I thought my current level of fitness(the best its ever been)would have turned out an awesome RR2. I guess that just wasn't the case for me on Sunday.

Yesterday, I woke up early to get the kids off to school and I felt as though I was hit by a truck. So so glad yesterday was a day off. Today, feeling much better, I ran my 2x1mile wko on the treadmill and was surprised to run a 7:14 and 6:55mile. Yay, at least my legs still work! Got in the pool immediately after for 2000m as a recovery swim. Was not up for the 3800m swim this morning per the schedule.

Lots of admin stuff to do these next few days as well as getting my house ready for Mr. Mom (aka my husband) to take over while Im away. Great job everyone and Im looking forward to meeting you all in person. Keep up the great work!

• Options

@Danielle, thanks for the updates.  Today was my struggle on the bike. I had absolutely no energy.  My bike felt slow and my legs could hardly put out any wattage. It was in the 50s ( a cold front came through last night) It was actually scary thinking of that being my conditioning for the race.   I know that I am exhausted and just need to rest.  I may just take the whole day off tomorrow instead of swimming.  I ran today also at lunch and maintained an IM pace with a few strides for a little over 3 miles.  On the bike I ended up with 14 mile an hour pace.  I haven't ridden that slow all year long.  I think my legs have gone on strike.

Disappointed about the cancelled live race seminar. 

• Options
    Report from Tullahoma, TN - after work I ran 3 miles on a gently rolling course... 9:58, 9:28, 9:06 just to show you how slow I am. Really, my left leg feels like it doesn't even run right anymore. But it beats sitting on the couch. After the run, I found the local community center pool and made up yesterday's 3800 yard workout. That was my first indoor swim since last August in Portland. It always feels weird since we swim outdoors year round in Tampa. Nothing scheduled for tomorrow AM.
  • Options
    @Roy question, how important, in your experience, is it to ride the loop prior to race? I am thinking of heading to Lou Friday to do a bike ride/recon of the loop and 1694. Is the bike course well marked? Thanks!

Ran 45 min yday and ran 1:50 today.
  • Options
    @Danielle strong work on the bike even if you weren't feeling your best. The taper will help.
    @Stephan a day off sounds smart.

Hour ride on the trainer today felt really good, my power was up, HR down. WTF? After that completely confidence destroying ride on Saturday. Sometimes I think our bodies just mess around with us for the shit we put them through. :p Working on staying positive about race day, bit of a struggle won't lie.
    I got a massage yesterday to unkink the neck/back/shoulders, will likely go back next week. No time to get run in today. Will run after the swim tomorrow. Work front learnt there will be a release going probably next Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe even Friday. I have to sign off on it so that will mean some stress, but on the upside it take my mind off and leave less time for the negative thoughts :p
  • Options
    @Alan -re: Ride, For me, knowledge of a route makes it easier in any circumstance. That being said, if you have the opportunity to ride the course, I would. I would say that about any route, not just a race route. If you don't have the opportunity, you'll be okay as well. The first time I saw the course in its entirety was when I raced in 2012. I did a few segments with some other team members, but not the whole thing.

@All - Lots of fatigue showing up in posts and a few notes of self doubt. In the most polite and gentle way I can say this: STOP.BEING.STUPID. image Take a look back at your trainingpeaks, strava feed, excel document, notebook, or whatever you use to track your workouts. We have all put in a significant amount of work. Self doubt at this point is taper insanity talking. Yes, you are tired. You just got done with an EN Ironman training plan. You should be fatigued. Rest, eat well, hydrate, and you will show up to the Great Lawn right where you need to be. Have no doubts about your fitness, its there.

In the "I'm tired" theme, I woke up this morning and said, "yeah... I'm not running". It happens. Swam 2k at lunch. Got myself all motivated to go run as I was driving home only to unpack my swim bag and see I forgot my goggles and Garmin 910 at the pool. I hopped into my car, knowing the pool wasn't open in the afternoon, and drove to confirm that, "Yes, that's a closed pool." I'm counting on the kindness of strangers and hoping its there at 0500 tomorrow which is when I'll be up and standing at the door. Fun times. No motivation to run now.

Got my bike packed successfully. Like others have mentioned, I was embarrassed at how dirty it is as I broke it down. Roadie Roy from the early 2000's would look down his nose at triathlete Roy and his filthy bike. Going to start to get the rest of my pack on this evening in prep for a Friday departure.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Options
    Anyone know when Taper starts? I'm still waiting for that switch to flip. You know the one...when all of a sudden you're bouncing off the walls and feel great. I'm sure it will get here, but hopefully not too soon. If I start bouncing of the walls my wife's gonna kill me.

Roy - hope you find the Garmin. That should be good motivation to get at it early.
    Anu - You sound like you're ready to race. Keep it up!
    Paul - You're a machine. Great work!

I'm trying to get in some more swimming this week. 3X so far this week for 7,000yds. Rode yesterday on the drainer for an hour. Too wet to get outside. Ran 9 miles this morning. Fortunately the humidity broke right before we started. Dropped from 100% down to 96%. At 78 degrees it was nice. Felt like summer all over again. Had to wring out my socks after I was done. Then I went and ate a doughnut. Carb loading, right?

Did some experimenting yesterday during an OW swim. Wanted to try both wetsuits. Full Sleeve and sleeveless. I don't like my full sleeve wetsuit because it feels restrictive, but I wanted to see if it was significantly faster. Turns out my pace is about equal in both suits and I feel much more comfortable in the sleeveless. So at least that question has been answered.

Gonna clean the bike this afternoon and then go to a clinic at LBS to work on changing tubes.

BTW, Looks like they're paving the out and back. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and that part will be smooth so Stephan can bomb those hills!
  • Options
    Still in Tullahoma, TN -ran 6.5 miles after work in the drizzle on the monster hill route I found Monday. Much faster than Monday partly due to the taper and partly due to cooler weather. I wanted to swim too but I was starving and couldn't handle the thought of another late night trip to Subway so I caved and went to Red Lobster.
  • Options
    Garmin retrieved (whew). 45 minutes on the trainer on the road bike, that position feels way off, found myself constantly trying to move further forward. Packing 90% complete, waiting for this afternoon's run and final laundry to finish. 24 hours until wheels up on my flight.

Sad for the IMMD crew. That has to suck.
  • Options
    Trying to wrap up things at work before leave is always painful. Besides the stuff you know you have to do and that one final afternoon meeting that you aren't listening in, there's always one more, "Hey sir", "Hey sir", "I know you're headed out, but hey sir"... Fun times. Now that I'm actually out the door (and its already after 8), no way this evening's run is happening. So, I'm 95% packed, just waiting on my laundry to finish and last minute adds tomorrow morning. I'm full of trepidation about my bike, its soft sided case, and 21 hours of trans-Pacific flights, but if all the expert bike travelers say it can be done, then I'll guess I'll do it (fingers crossed).
  • Options

@Roy  I can't imagine having to do everything you are doing to make it home for this race.  You will need to recover just from all that.

I took yesterday off, got in 7.7 miles today at IM Pace, and got in a quick 30 minutes of slow swimming afterwards.  I'm still feeling sore all over and tired. Very weird but I trust that this is just the accumulated fatigue and that game day, I will have my mojo back. It sure aint there right now.

• Options
    All - taper is a steady decline in volume and intensity in order to trade FITNESS for FRESHNESS. If you were feeling really FRESH this week then you would be giving up too much FITNESS since the race is not for another 10 days. Just follow the plan. My day was really full, but make no mistake, I am tapering. Safe travels to Roy. The softside will be fine unless a tug runs it over on the tarmac -- and if that happens it would not have mattered if it were in a hard case.

AM - 3 mile run in Tennessee, followed by 2 hour meeting, then drive to Nashville to catch my plane to Tampa
    PM - off the plane, drove home, then to the pool for 2200 yards swim followed by 77 mins on the drainer. That included a 1 x 60 min set at IM intensity. I stayed on ERG mode for the first 30 mins, then manual trying to lock onto my watts as Coach Troy kept changing the gears and cadence.
  • Options
    Roy - Safe travels. See you in Kentucky!

Yesterday was a busy day. Swam 2000 yds in AM before work. Added in a little speed work to start forcing the pace. Felt good to open it up a little. Did 45 minutes on drainer with a few short FTP stretches. Just trying to keep the legs going. Ran 3.1 mile brick afterwards really focused on HR. Tried to keep in Z1 except on hills. EZ 1000yds in pool this AM to wake up and off to work.

Raining cats and dogs here and supposed to continue all weekend. Looks like another ride on the trainer. Just now starting to feel a little more rested...or maybe that's excitement. Posted Race Plan in Race Execution forum. Starting to get real!!!!
  • Options

Jay: your slow is my speed work in Swimming.

Yesterday, my short 1300 yard swim, I could barely maintain a 2:20 pace pr 100yrds.

Today, I ran out of time, but was averaging, 1:48 for 3000 yards.  I was feeling more energized than I have been.  I will be interested to see how I feel tomorrow on the bike. Last tuesday, I could hardly keep 14 mph going.  I still find this very weird.  It is as if my body has been saying, enough is enough.  My body is   like my  dog on a short walk and I start heading back to the house,  he digs in his heels and refuses to walk with me.

Also got in another body massage today. 

• Options
    Almost done with moderate taper and looking forward to the BIG SLIDE!

Friday AM - 4000 yard swim
    Friday PM - 7 mile run a little faster than IM pace. I'm at 27.5 miles towards this weeks 30 mile ceiling now. Short run tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Safe arrival of me and all gear to the Ville. Good news is that it's raining and cold (mid-50's) wth high in the 60's today. That should help us with the alegea.
  • Options
    @Ray good to hear. I am pleased with what the forecast looks like.

Handed my bike in to TBT yesterday, guess this is really happening now.

2.5 hr ride today while watching the course preview. Man some of those roads seem in bad shape, fortunately a lot of my training has been on chip sealed and cracked TX country roads. :p Also did a 3 mile brick, we finally have decent weather here in TX. 50's this morning, high in the eighties.

About to start packing. Been making lists.
  • Options
    Great day today!!! After sweating buckets on my run last night, Fall blew in today with drier air and a high of only 81, but I hit the drainer for 3.5 hours doing the Spinervals' Louisville ride. Followed up with a 2.5 mile brick run which took me to my cap of 30 miles running for the week. Threw in 1600 yards at the pool for good measure.

Other good news: I finally had time to take my old road bike to the shop. When I took it off the trainer in the middle of a ride a couple of weeks ago it felt like I had cracked the frame around the crank. Turns out that I merely exploded the bottom bracket inside. My favorite mechanic tells me that I never cease to amaze him with the corrosion I bring in...he has never seen anything like this. But for about $75 the bike will be like new!

And, my race bike is ready to go. I haven't ridden it since it came back from Austria. It was serviced upon arrival but I've done a little more prep and then took it around the block several times. It has to be at the shop for TBT pick-up tomorrow morning. And this is the free transport I get for being a frequent customer despite using my case even more often.

Praying that we are allowed to swim. The thought of extending the season 4 more weeks is not appealing.
  • Options

Successful day, feeling my energy coming back, at about 80 percent I think.   Got in a 2.4 hr bike ride followed by 30 minute brick run.  The temps were in the upper 50s with winds about 12-14 mph, sunny.  Maybe is the perfect practice for what is coming.

My only issue right now is storage.  I've taken off my rear bottle holders, and the seat tube bottle holder.  I have one bta bottle and one on the down tube.  I have a bento box that holds my gu, salt, and a little more.

I need to figure out where to put my tubes and co2 carts.   I can use the bento box but then i don't have room for  all the roctane.

Question: Is it easy to get roctane at the water stops on the bike?  I will be using the on-course Gatorade picking up at least one bottle every stop. Perhaps, I can plan on picking up a Roctane  every other stop.   I want to drink two bottles gatorade and eat one roctane

I think I also could tape a few to my frame, or put a tube alongside my bta bottle and cram one under my adamo seat.  I feel like I should have two tubes and two co2 cartridges.   Or could I get by with 1 tube and put one in the special needs bag.  Seems risky. 

I'll figure it out.

• Options
    Roy - Glad you made safely. Enjoy the time with the family.

Week 19 is in the books for me. All the work is done. I finished with a 2.5 hour trainer ride and a 3 mile brick. The weather here has been uncooperative. The last 10 days have been nothing but rain. We have a local Oly that was supposed to happen on the 3rd, but was cancelled because of wind and heavy rain. Too dangerous to get on the road so I did it inside.

Today has been an admin day. Cleaning bike. Lubing chain. Organizing equipment and clothes. Hopefully some easy swimming and running this week before I leave on Wednesday.

Stephan, I'm carrying a tube (crammed under seat) and 2 CO2 cartidges. Will put a CO2, tube and tire in SN.

Looking forward to finally meeting y'all this week!
  • Options
    All done for Louisville. Dropped off the bike for TBT pick-up then swam 4600 yards. I didn't need the swim but did it as insurance in case they cancel the swim next week for algae. I did not want two low weeks in a row in the event I decide to do IMFL. Fingers crossed that we get the whole enchilada. The weather forecast looks just stupendous!