the stream of consciousness style) for IM Louisville.  NOTE: 
These are just my thoughts and some personal interpretation of the
Athlete Guide.  Please read it (the
Athlete Guide) for yourself and attend one of the official athlete briefings to
get the ‘official’ word.  As we go
through the taper, add your own thoughts / questions / answers as to general
Louisville race prep / race day stuff.  I’ll
be adding another post on this thread about some ‘around Louisville’
recommendations for those times when you don’t want to be around the shaven leg,
compression gear / ‘my last race was tougher than your last race’ t-shirt
wearing crowd.   

• There are multiple WTC Athlete Briefings
    starting Thursday and continuing through Saturday.  Full transparency – I’ve never attended one
    because at all of my previous races, there has only been 1 on pre-race Saturday
    evening (a point at which I definitely don’t want to be hanging out with other
    triathletes, all on the verge of mental breakdown).   Now with all the available options, I will
    try to hit one, mostly likely the Friday, 2 p.m. brief.

• Bike check-in goes Noon – 5:00 p.m.
    Saturday.  If you wait til 2:00 p.m., the
    crazy long line of type A people handling bubble wrapped carbon fiber blessed
    by his holiness will likely be much shorter / non-existent. 

• According to page 7 of the athlete guide, helmets and bike
    shoes may be on your bike (not in the bike gear bag).  This is new for a WTC race for me.

• IMPORTANT – READ ME:  If you want to participate in the practice
    swim, YOU MUST BRING YOUR TIMING CHIP. 
    They will turn you away if you don’t have it.  Period. 
    It’s an accountability / safety issue (they actually chip you in / out
    of the water).  This is a hard WTC rule
    and I’ve seen tons of athletes get their feelings hurt by volunteers / race
    officials enforcing this at every WTC race I’ve done.  They DO NOT have ‘loaner’ chips for the swim.

• Your SPECIAL NEEDS bags (run and bike) will not be returned to
    you after the race (i.e. don’t put anything in them that you aren’t willing to
    part with if you don’t pick it up during the race).

• You DO NOT need to put your race number (bib) on
    for the bike.  The ~138 adhesive race
    number stickers adorning your helmet, bike, body suffice for the bike
    portion.  You DO need to put it on for
    the run.

• If you get an ill-fitting finisher’s shirt,
    there is an opportunity to replace it on Monday (12 Oct) from 9-11 a.m. at the
    information booth. 

• Everyone will have a full 2:20 to finish the
    swim, regardless of what time you jump in the water.  The time for the last person starts when the
    last person jumps in.  However, if you
    take longer than 2:20 to finish YOUR swim, you will get a DNF (i.e. if you are
    the first person to jump in the water and take longer than 2:20 to finish your
    swim, WTC will give you a DNF (in the final tally), even though there are
    people behind you still swimming.

• Volunteers will be manning kayaks in the
    water.  If needed, you can swim to one
    and ‘hang-on’ for safety, to adjust, insert your own reason.  As long as the kayak does not make ‘forward
    progress’ while you are hanging on, you are okay (and will not be DQ’ed).  Example, during 2012 IM Coeur D’Alene (mass
    start prior to the ‘swim-smart’ initiative), I got totally crushed by the
    masses during the starting swim scrum.  I
    swallowed tons of water and got sick.  I
    ended up hanging off two different kayaks during that swim, dry heaving for
    what felt like forever (TMI – sorry), and then finished the swim.  The kayaks were / are there for safety, I
    used them for safety reasons, they didn’t move forward while I was on them, and
    I carried on with my day once the friendly kayak paddlers got done rebuilding
    my devastated ego.  Use the kayaks if you need
    them without fear of having yourself DQ'ed. 

• Bike – Drafting – 5 Bike lengths between you and
    the bike in front of you.  I have
    personally witnessed a good number of marshals and penalties handed out at
    Louisville.  Once you are passed, it is
    YOUR responsibility to drop back 5 bike lengths, regardless of what the passing
    rider does (i.e. even if he slows down the instant he passes you… it
    does / will happen).  The second lap of the loop can
    get crowded.  Get your mind in the right
    place with respect to this.

• Bike Traffic note 1– Most of the bike ride is on
    roads open to traffic.  Both years I have
    raced the Ville, I have gotten ‘stuck’ behind cars.  I have never seen any driver be intentionally
    rude or intentionally slow down racers. 
    I have seen cars forced to drive slow due to the sheer volume of other
    cars and triathletes on the road.  Bottom
    line:  Expect to be forced to slow down
    at some point during the bike ride. 
    There are no shoulders on the route. 
    If YOU make the decision to take action to pass a car (spike 700+ watts,
    pass on the left illegally – I’m guilty [and stupid] on both counts), that is
    YOUR (my) stupid decision, not the car driver’s.  Like the previous note, make your response to
    this potential race day scenario part of your execution / pre-race
    visualization plan (I recommend patience patience patience) and have a plan to
    respond to the emotions (grumpiness) this causes in you.

• Bike Traffic note 2 – Fellow EN superstar Steve
    Ross took a major hit during IMCHOO. 
    Initial reports indicate a volunteer cleared a vehicle directly into his
    path while he was going in excess of 22 m.p.h. and he went down hard and
    required hospitalization.  Bottom
    line:  Stay alert and trust no one with
    your own safety.  While this isn’t Rugby
    League, triathlon is still a moderately dangerous pastime and no IM time or
    placing is worth a bad vehicle-on-bike encounter.  The bike never wins.

• Check out the insert box (map page 21) of the
    run course.  There is a small section of
    the run at the beginning that you only run once.  It’s a little section from T2 – admin stuff –
    out to the ‘rest of the run course’.  If
    you have family supporting you, ensure they know that you will only run this
    small section once (or they will sit there the rest of the day wondering why
    you haven’t come around again – yes, again, guilty of this one). 

• Family members / supporters are not allowed to
    cross the finish line or enter the chute with you.

Please add your own thoughts and questions to this thread as we spend the next weeks contemplating the lead up to race day.  image

Comments

• Options
    Hey Roy,
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll add another one for us to think about. We have talked about the line for the swim and several of us have indicated we are "get there early" types. I hope we can establish a plan to get us closer to the front rather the back. We should be able to use our numbers to establish a place in line and then rotate out as necessary to manage morning business. Just something to think about. I want to get in the water early for 3 reasons: 1) I don't want to swim over/around 1000 people 2) I want less congestion on the out and back and 3)I want to finish sooner so I can drink more beer. Thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    Thanks Ray!
    Scary about Steve Ross, missed that. But good reminder, I was nearly roadkill at the Honu 70.3 fortunately the driver of the truck and I were a bit more aware than the two volunteers one of whom was waving the truck directly into my path the other was furiously waving at me to keep going. I am grateful for volunteers but as the RD at my Aquabike said at least five times during the briefing keep your head up and stay aware.
  • Options
    Thanks so much Roy! And thank you for posting the video of the two lines of the swim start. It's nice to be able to visualize how the start will play out.

I have a few questions (sorry if they are silly). While waiting in the swim start line I think I'd like to have a sweatshirt and some flip flops (so not cold and barefoot), etc. Is there a place to ditch items like this? I know at some races a lot of people leave their flip flops in a big pile near the start (same with sweatshirts, etc) and they get picked up and donated. Do you know if I have to have a family member nearby to collect the items, or if I'll be able to just leave them behind?
    (2) about the bike course - I know you did Vineman - do you think this course is somewhat similar in terms of the rolling hills? Or more/less?
    (3) And lastly, a weird question - I know we cross a timing mat when we get in the water - but do you happen to know if there is a way for spectators to know when you entered the water? Or do they just have to find you in the line and watch you go in? I only ask because my husband has always been able to predict the general time I'll be getting out of the water based on my start time. With the line it seems like I could start anywhere between 7:30 and 8:10, which isn't that helpful to him in trying to "find" me. Any insight would be appreciated image

@Jay - I'd like to be in the water early too. My reasons are different in that I just want to finish the race before midnight, but nonetheless I want to be in line early. If there is a way to coordinate with a few other "early" people to take turns holding place in line and rotate in/out like you said, I would like to be part of that plan.
  • Options
    @Ray any tips on sighting while coming back? I am assuming going out you just follow the island on the left, anything else to keep in mind?

I would like to be in somewhat early as I also expect to be slow, but a bit nervous that as a slow swimmer I'd get swum over a lot. From what I read it's about 3/4 mile from T1 to the swim start, so i assume we'd have to get out T1 stuff done and since transition opens at 5:30, I assume the earliest you can get in line would be closer to 6? The good thing I think is I read they wouldn't allow family members to get in line for you.
  • Options
    My thoughts:

1) I will probably attend the briefing because I usually pick out 1 or 2 pieces of important information that is not in the athlete's guide.
    2) I wish WTC could get their stuff together and make a universal rule about whether you have to wear the number on the back. Seems to change every race I do. At Austria last month it was a hard requirement...even with all the other numbers as Roy notes.
    3) I did IMCDA in 2010 - the only race I've had to hang onto a kayak. That was my most brutal swim ever and the only one I ever had thoughts that I might die. This will be my first TT start and I'm 100% for it.
    4) I am thinking about starting at the end of the line, sling shotting through the bike ride, and getting slightly cooler run temperatures. Start sooner, and you are running more in the warmest part of the day.
  • Options
    @Jennifer read on the FB page that there will be volunteers a few hundred yards from the docks and we can hand over our stuff to them, I am hoping to wear old running shoes and gloves depending on how cold it is. My hands and feet get very cold easily.
  • Options

A deep thought is that the Packers are winning right now!  I have time to watch football.

• Options
    @ Jay / et al: re: Early in line. This is a hard one. From appearances, I believe that some folks don't go to transition race morning and are 'festival style' camping to be early in line. That being said, I don't personally want to go get in line, then go back to transition, then come back. I have seen 'line-Nazi's' who moan and complain when they perceive folks doing stuff to 'skip' in line. Not to suggest that is part of your plan, but just providing my n=2 assessment of atmospherics. My own plan is to be at transition before it's scheduled opening (its opened early both times that I have been there) and then quickly get in/out and make my way over. Again, that's my own personal plan. I would welcome some 5-five's and maybe a 'good-game' or two as I pass a huge group of EN Ninja's on my way to my spot.

@Jennifer - Clothes, see Anu's comments. They didn't have a collection point in my previous go's (a la most major marathons), but maybe they have gotten better. Previous years have been stupid hot, so warming layers haven't been a concern of mine. I hope to have that problem this year. Louisville vs Vineman - I have a horrible memory and Vineman was my first, so take this with a huge grain of salt. I think Vineman had less total rollers, but Chalk Hill made it 'harder'. In all honesty, I think the Louisville bike course is just right, enough rollers to encourage position changes without anything depressingly steep or long. I would repeat the Ville even if I didn't live there. Due to my size, I'm more of an absolute power guy, not a watts/kg kind of guy, and I think the Ville is just right to let both types get a good ride in. Your opinion may differ. Swim line positioning for family: There isn't any 'easy' way for your family to pick you out. There is a'stadium' area where all the supports crowd up and the line does an "S" right before you get to the pier split, so your supporters should have a chance to pick you out of the line. It snakes three times on top of itself before you jump in. I always hear my wife yelling at me from the crowd.

@Anu - Sighting - once you make the turn, you'll swing underneath a large bridge. I use that for the first third of the way. After that, I just follow the current and try not to swing out too far right (a problem of mine). If the splash / near-by folks allow, breathing on the left helps you maintain perspective on the bank.

@Stephen - You must be talking about that other sport they play on Sunday. Being from the south, I pray at the alter of college football image
  • Options
    @All - A couple of offerings for those that are interested.

Friday - I'll be doing race registration and a bike course recon on Friday. The EN taper plan says to do this on Thursday, but my personal schedule doesn't support this. I'll be at registration at 0900 when it opens, and then when done, will drive from the Galt House / Great Lawn to the Church at the Out and Back turn. I'll dismount there, hop on my bike, and ride the out and back. I'll probably doing the hill(s) twice. There have been road cracks / holes at the very bottom of the outbound hill which is worth looking at / riding over. After riding back to the Church, I'll load my bike back on my car and then drive out and drive (not ride) the loop. I'm in an Explorer and can fit 3 people and 1 bike (more if you are willing to break it down in the back) and welcome company either in my car or trailing me in another car. This is also a good opportunity for a group photo (either at Registration, during the ride, or afterward). Lunch after the recon is another option if anyone is interested.

- Saturday - I will be coming to the swim practice. I'm just coming to see the water, mingle, and talk about how cool I am with any other triathlete that wants to listen. That last part was a joke image. This is another opportunity for a good group photo. Additionally, if anyone wants to grab a coffee after the / their swim and talk about anything BUT triathlon, I'd love to meet up for that as well.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in any of the above contact points either here in this thread or on GroupMe once that gets stood up for this race. As you know, I will unfortunately not be able to attend the Team dinner, but for those are able to (and haven't done one before), they are absolutely one of the best part of any EN team race week.
  • Options
    @Ray thanks for the info. Rumour has it the out and back has been paved and Coach P's google mapview seemed ot show that as well. Think they said not all of it, but sounded like a big chunk of it.

I get in Thursday afternoon, need to check when my bike gets in, hopefully same day otherwise I'll do the out and back on Friday. I have rented some kind of SUV, so hopefully should fit my bike. Plan to drive the course Thursday and maybe Saturday again with my husband. Also plan to swim on Saturday. Coach P's talk recommended riding the LeGrange loop but think I'd rather ride a bit less.
  • Options
    EN Teammates, I plan to arrive on Thursday early afternoon. Would like to get out to the bike course a little. I have an SUV with a bike rack and can carry 3 bikes. Happy to have company and also happy to drive again that weekend if we need to see more of the course. The more the merrier.
  • Options
    At choo I brought a garbage bag and a beach towel to sit for the start. Nice to have something to sit on for wait.

If rain is in forecast don't cover your bike before taking it in - you will have to remove the wrap until after check in photos. It rained pretty good in choo- so I covered handlebars, di2 stuff, seat.

I also double bagged my shoes - every thing was dry.
    I am a mid-back racer :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Roy, great information! I will be getting in mid afternoon Thursday and would be up for joining you all on the recon ride Friday and lunch. I will have my SUV as well and can fit 3 people but only my bike (no rack). I also plan to do the practice swim on Sat as well. I would be up for coffee but can't promise I won't slip a few triathlon comments ??.
  • Options
    @Roy I will be glad to join you for Fridays events, reg at 9am, ride out and back, recon loop via your automobile and lunch with you, Danielle and others. We could drop my bike at hotel (dntn) or on your bike rack if you still have room. Could give you visor at that time (clean, never been run in). We could even talk non-triathlon stuff, like impending retirements (yours, not mine)!

I plan to go to swim on Sat and swim some of course! Want to get a feel for water temp and the current!
  • Options

@i'm having difficulty knowing exactly what I want to do right before the race.   I think I am just in a weird space lately.  I will join the group for the recon on Friday. I 'm a little nervous about doing much riding that close to the race.  Lunch sounds fun afterwards.

@Jay, If the offer still stands, I  would be glad to join you with your vehicle since it holds three bikes.  Thursday afternoon or Friday will be fine.  My cell phone is 608-399-4319.

It will be nice to get to meet as many of you as I can in person. 

I also hope to join the swim briefly on Saturday just to get that out of my system for 20 minutes.

I am such a freak and edgy person today at work.  argh. 

• Options
    I've got your number Stephan. I'll touch base on Thursday morning. I'll start riding first and then you can go flying by screaming "On your left!" It'll be just like the race. Looking forward to finally meeting you and everyone else. One of the benefits of this team.
  • Options
    A quick note to offer some around Louisville suggestions:

Things to do in relative close proximity to down town / the Galt House-
    - Louisville Slugger Museum
    - Mohammed Ali Center
    - Fourth Street Live (with tons of chain restaurants)
    - The Big Four Bridge
    - the Belle of Louisville (paddle boat)
    - Churchill Downs (offers a tour - and Kentucky Derby Museum
    - Louisville Zoo (further out).

All of these things come up in a simple google.com search.

Food options -
    - Lots of stuff on Fourth Street - some major chain restaurants like TGIF's and Hard Rock Cafe, Eddie Merlot Steakhouse, The Old Spaghetti Factory (will be full of triathletes on Saturday).

- If you are willing to drive 10-20 minutes, I recommend:
    - Blue Dog Bakery and Café (mixed artisan / specialty food)
    - Lilly's Bistro (location of the 2013 EN team dinner, really good)
    - Seviche (Latin fusion).

-A 20 minutes will take you to my area (Middletown / East End) where there are:
    - Olive Garden (Italian)
    - Carrabba's (Italian)
    - Taziki's (Mediterranean chain)
    - Shiraz (Mediterranean fast food / mom-pop)
    - Wild Eggs (best breakfast in town IMO - comfort + healthy food)
    - First Watch (chain health focused breakfast).
  • Options
    All - if you have room, I would like to join anyone that is driving the course. I don't need to bike it...just want to sit in the vehicle and see it. I've watched the course twice on the Spinervals DVD but driving would be a better preview of the hills. I'm in a good space right now -- self-doubt as always, but not dreading it.
  • Options
    Thanks Roy for the suggestions! I'm planning on being at registration on Friday at 9am if there is a group meeting up then for a picture or something. I'll also be at the Saturday swim (if the algae is gone) to get a feel for the water temp, etc. -- so I can meet up with others then too. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can. image