Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 14 of 20

Good morning IMAZ people!  Maybe all of the Choo mojo from last night will help carry us through this week!

Monday morning run - done. https://www.strava.com/activities/401980435

Hopefully you all had great training weekends.

Comments

• Options
    My training is going very well! Bigger volume week last week with a long swim, bike and run again. I hit 1000 TSS points in a week for the first time since my last IM build in the spring. Making sure I have light days before the long bike and runs scheduled.

Long run http://tpks.ws/4qHw
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't posted about last week but did get the volume in.

Traveling tomorrow so moved the week up a day. This am:
    50' bike, 2x 18. @.97,.99. Now, that IF is based on my presumed FTP which I've lowered by 5w to my 2014 high. I tested right before our IM build and had a fantastic test, but realistically am happy to finally have achieved my previous high. Followed with 20' run-z2 out, z3 back.
    Tomorrow plan on long run before I leave for airport for 0820 flight. Let's see if I can do it! (Means an 0300 wake up call and I'm on

Mondays swim thurs then back on schedule.
    I will be back home Friday and have a group all ready for an 0530 start for 6 hours on the Beeline highway sat am.

• Options
    @Tom, strong run there. Looking good.

@Betsy, welcome back! Good luck with the early wakeup call tomorrow, you can do it.

My swim yesterday was nice and consistent, which is an improvement over last week when things seemed to go all to hell. Too early to call it progress, but maybe I've stopped the bleeding at this point.

The theme in my morning runs of late has been "slow to get started". I guess this makes sense since it takes some time to knock the cobwebs out, but my first mile has been much slower and more painful these past several weeks. Maybe the volume is taking its toll. Regardless, here's my Tuesday interval with 2x1 Z4 https://www.strava.com/activities/402637091

Keep moving forward and keep the posts coming!
  • Options
    @Clark-I've noticed the same thing on both bike and run-slow to start. And I am feeling fatigue in my quads.
    My first 18' this am, first half low watts then it kicked in. Last two minutes of 2nd 18' I was actually in VO2 territory (since I knew I wasn't doing the optional part).

As for my swims, I changed stroke at last lesson and am totally doing the swim as a drill session to develop the stroke. I figure no use doing More bad inefficient swimming. l have another lesson in a week and am hoping I've learned it and then get back to regular workouts.
  • Options
    I couldnt understand why my legs fetl a little dead at the beginning the brick run this morning, then remembered I ran a half marathon yesterday.
  • Options
    Dead legs or not, my long run is in the books - https://www.strava.com/activities/404011638 and the weather even cooperated with a break in the rain that we've been getting.

Unfortunately, it looks like rain all day Saturday and Sunday so I'm not sure what that's going to do to my weekend long ride. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Huge bummer about IMMD. I can't even begin to imagine what that would feel like. Hope I never have to find out.

Happy Thursday!
  • Options
    Got Thursday run in Wednesday.
    Up at 0345 and because of excessive MFAT (mandatory F around time-coffee, etc) got 80' in-50 z1, 30 z2. I sat on 2hr plane ride to KC with my massager on-electrical stim pads-2 in each hamstring. After getting rental car, straight to 24h fit and did last 40' on mill-10' z1, 20' z2, 10' z3. Legs felt great! I'm gonna be using my massager a lot more!

Meetings over-Monday swim in my agenda for this afternoon (luckily I have three 24 h fits in the radius of where I'm staying).
  • Options
    Hi all....sorry to just be lurking! still training but no time to log/write.....

Sooooo.... did the Sprint Tri SUN which was fun but also a good challenging course (hilly bike/run and the swim in the lazy river was no joke with the tough current and as a 6th to start I swam into a big mess of later starters (I saw one poor sole swimming really hard but making 0 forward progress) which was open water-ish image practice..... came in 4th Overall (small field). https://www.strava.com/activities/401567826 Run
    https://www.strava.com/activities/401567853 Bike

MON: R&R 80 min much needed massage and had EZ pool planned... SAUs= Not today

TUES: Run speed-work.....wow Tues runs have been dropped so may times of late.... felt good-ish legs actually felt a bit heavy from the hill running SUN (VDOT 40 is too fast for a "real" M pace and "Too slow" for 1-2 mile stand alone intervals it feels .... didn't let myself drift to <7:00 [VDOT: 8:12 Z4] https://www.strava.com/activities/403005916 <br />
    WED: Indoors for 2x18' Z4.....no umph in legs...trainer always feels 10-15w harder vs road...but I realy had to consentrate and 240 goal was always slipping to 230w. also gearing/cadence issues...my happy place is where the "missing gear is on the back sprocket...gerrr. ....oh and no brick run-again....to much futzing around before getting started...so no run or PIs.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/403857172

also.... no Mon/Tues/Wed swims for various reasons...not good.

THRS: ah....and now today.....U-G-L-Y long(2.5hr/15ml) run. Again a late start...already 87degrees getting 98 by turn around...... But i wore my arm sleeve coolers (work great BTW) and white calf stockings...and paused to soak down about every 3 miles at water fountains.... and drank through 2 x4 fuel belt bottles + gulps from fountains.... still felt heat zapped and wheels came off at 11 miles HR Z4+ at https://www.strava.com/activities/404371583

FRI ...WILL get my swim in! And for a change will have SAT/SUN off for good long rides.........

• Options
    Gusty Solo century. pee breaks and bottle exchanges after about every 45min loop so not reeeely a race sim ride. also Z3+ for the most part. = nothing left for run after.... ;(

Ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/405722306
    NP 198 Ave 200-210 range for about 3 out of the 5hrs with a bit at 220 and as low as 180-190 no noodling or much in the 230+
    lots of time at 20 degree bank against side wind in last 2 hrs
    need to do race sim at 180w and be happy with a 6 hr 112ml me thinks TSS >440 is a bit much to run off of...especially at 96degrees out.
  • Options
    Good job Howard! Gusty is good practice for the beeline. It was horrible last year and fairly gusty yesterday on beeline!

I got my 100 in 5:57 ride time. Beeline shoulder had a bit of debris but only one flat-last time out of McDowell gas station, rear too. I was out for 7 hours though with pee breaks and water bottle fills, a phone call too. I'm sorry, but peeing in the bike is for IM day only-I can do it but hate the wet stinky shoes.

I did the 8x20' at .75-.8 and last 2 hours about .7. I had company the first 60 miles , last 2hr/40 mile loop (we go 10 mi north of shea to bush highway exit to break up monotony of endless 22mi loops) I was alone. I too had nothing left for a run. Starting temp was a glorious 67 but a little warm at the end-90s.

Without slowdowns for lights etc hoping also for a .7 IF/ 6 hr day. That was goal last year but wind slowed everybody down.

I am very pleased I've seemed to work out all my saddle issues-no right sciatic pain, right foot/right upper body numbness or saddle sore. I've figured out seat bone positioning on new saddle.

I'm working today and decided to make it a rest day! Maybe some running later if I get out early
  • Options
    @Betsy- way to geter done. I'm doing SUN ride inside image. Didn't really do 8x20' as the wind caused eack loop to be 24'down and 18'up so I just sorta eased back at the mid turn around and stopped to pee/change bottles each loop...and never dropped ack down as ego wanted 5hr=100 mls. It was 5:00:11 ride time. 5:20 total likely do next week's 112 with a more conservative 6hr even. I can only pray I can run after. Last year my run was fine for 6mls. Worried about this one....
  • Options

I haven't chimed in much on this thread but I've appreciated the insights and encouragement. There are three of us training together in San Diego, my 30 year son-in-law who usually finishes top ten in his age group, Jim, my 44 year old buddy, and myself, 59 year old first time full IM.

Our training year has been wonderful and crazy, (crashes into the back of parked police cars, texting daughters crashing into my bike on the rack of my car - full replacement by USAA Insurance, coyotes stalking our dogs on trail runs, and an actual sea lion attack - on me - in the La Jolla Cove - ripped wetsuit and minor body slashes only, among other adventures.)

Just finished our first century yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it. 7 hours with all the typical water and pee stops. Looking forward (with some terror) to Camp Week this weekend. Has anyone actually survived it?

Thanks for all your help and wisdom. See you at IMAZ!

• Options
    Welcome Kevin!
    Sounds like you've had quite the IM adventure. My stepdaughter lives in San Diego so have spent some time there but never trained in the area.

As for camp week, it is survivable. I did my first back to back 100s last year and lived to tell about it. I don't remember if I ran the 3rd day. I have week off from work starting 10/12 so plan on my back to back 100s over weekend and run Monday. Also get a 2nd good long run in on Thursday.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures!
  • Options

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for the welcome. San Diego is a great place to train. I don't take that for granted (sea lion attacks excluded). On my century yesterday I had one unwelcomed experience about mile 80 my left foot around the toes and then, a few miles later, my right started to ached nearly unbearably. Do you know where I might toss that out on the forum and get some ideas about the source? I had the same experience a few years ago with an entirely different shoe/cleat/bike set-up. I've had no problem with running and if I take a little break everything seems fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Kevin

• Options
    Kevin-I would just put it in the general training discussions.
    I've worked out a lot of a aches and pains and after making sure your shoes are a perfect fit with inserts if necessary, I found it's about the bike fit and learning proper positioning on the bike. Have you done a bike fitting recently? It's worth it
  • Options
    @Kevin -did the full camp last year as prep for Vineman did the ride as a 3 loop for bottle exchange etc. About 6:30 ride time and 7hr total. Made it 80miles on ride #2 at about same pace and long run was tough ...had to dial back and run walk a bit....but yes you can do it! And yes you'll feel like crap for 3-4 days after! But I know it really helped come race day.
  • Options
    @Kevin - This will be my third "camp" and I've gotten closer to completing the back-to-back 112 each time, but I've never actually gotten it done. Last year I did 112 in ~6 hours on day 1 and then 100 on local rail trails in ~6:15 on my cross bike on day 2. FWIW, I then had a spectacular mid-day long run on day 3. That was a real confidence boost.

The keys to camp are 1) don't be afraid to push yourself, 2) listen to your body and try to key in on the subtle differences between "I can push through it pain" vs. "I need to stop now pain" and 3) rest and recover after.