Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD - RACE WEEK!! - Stay Calm

Best takeaway from CoachR's video this week - "Stay calm".  Remember that this week!!  Deep breaths...

Did you all see the video links Nemo posted on the 2015 Maryland Coach Video and AMA Thread...?  If not, do take a look - GREAT previews of swim/bike/run courses and the transition areas!

Does anyone want to coordinate a practice swim and run/ride course recons?  When are you planning to do this?  I wish I were coming in a day earlier, as I won't be arriving to Cambridge til Thursday morning (flying into Reagan very late Wednesday night.)  I'll have to make a very efficient, kind of full Thursday!

See you all very soon!  Can't wait!

Comments

• Options
    I'll be arriving mid day on Thursday too (wish it could be sooner, but that's life). I'm sure it will be a ZOO! But I do hope to get in a short practice swim at some point.

Oh- and whatever you do, don't look at the weather forecast yet. Seriously. It's waaaaaay too early to freak out about weather and they truly have no clue. I packed an "in case of bad weather" bag. Hope I don't have to open it up, but that's it, nothing else we can do about it until the day before the race anyway.
  • Options
    I'm arriving on Thursday as well, so don't feel too bad. I'm planning to drive right to the pick up for the bus and take it to the expo. I'm resigned to not swimming or even biking on site. it just seems to stress me out for not a lot of gain. last little run Thursday morning and then I will make the drive.

Trying to be cool about the weather, but honestly, last night I picked out a long sleeve technical shirt I was willing to throw away at a bike aid station if its too cold and rainy in the morning. Crazy ugly black shirt with white stripes. Also brining the rain jacket. Thinking positive thoughts. I'm about two hours away and the weather has been "looks like its going to rain, but doesn't" a lot. Just lots of cloudy systems moving through. So even if the forecast calls for rain on Saturday, it may not actually rain, or if it does it might rain in the late afternoon, which honestly might be nice.

Bringing the bike and gear bags to T1 on Friday could be an adventure. I just imagine everyone waiting in line for the bus with their bikes...how's that gonna work??

anyways, slowly making piles for packing. The EN checklist found in the Wiki is really good. bike is cleaned, chain is cleaned. Last little spin tomorrow after work.
  • Options
    Holy S$!T, I just packed for an ironman! I think I have everything..we will see. I am arriving late Wednesday night and am hoping to hope in the water for a short swim at sometime Thursday and maybe a quick spin around on the bike just to keep the legs loose.

How is everyone feeling? My legs are feeling tired and heavy, I don't seem to have any pep in my step and I feel really tired - not exactly how I was hoping to feel during the taper. I took a pass of the 2.5 hour ride Saturday as I felt a cold coming on and chose to put in some time under the covers. Sunday I did an hour trainer ride. Today I picked my bike up from its time at the salon and took for a 25 min spin and did a 20 min run and 15 min of gentle yoga. I think tomorrow I am going to do a short run with some strides mixed in. I would like to hop in the pool for 40 min on Wednesday before I get in the car. I am trying to find the balance between resting and staying fresh. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I am absolutely going stir crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Sarah,

you are doing it right, your legs will come around...the main thing is to remember you are NOT training for anything right now...don't work too hard, just stay loose. for swims this week I like to, Get the feel of the water, spend some time at race pace, do some drills, done. Your work out plan sounds good.

Yah, I'm trying to stay calm, but getting excited and nervous.  last little spin and run after work...

• Options

Thanks Nate, that is just what I needed to hear!  Can't wait to see everyone!

• Options
    Loving the hurricane in the forecast for Friday and Saturday! Hopefully this will be one of the times the meteorologists are WAY off in their forecast...
  • Options
    "how to race in the rain" coaches chat can be found by searching for "rain" at the top of this page.

did 40 min spin and a 20 min run in the rain today. I was reminded that, "yep" you can ride in the rain, braking is about 50% reduced, seeing through wet glasses is tough and you probably will put them away, having an extra layer or two on under a rain jacket is probably a smart move.
  • Options
    I read that too Nate, super helpful. Feeling grateful that I did a few rides in torrential rains this summer...nothing new on race day, right?
  • Options
    Sarah, yah...its potentially going to be epic. trying to stay calm. What may be more of something to watch is the wind estimates.

I'm thinking about bringing trash bags on Friday for Gear Drop Off. Trying to protect my drive train.

My main concern is getting cold not getting wet. Being wet is not fun but not the end of the world either. The good news I think the temps are going to be ok. not hot but nothing silly cold.

1. Do you have enough layers on leaving T1. Even if its not raining when we get out of the water I will have a small rain jacket with me in my jersey pocket. May even just put it on regardless. I would rather spend a few extra minutes, putting it on + taking it off, than get totally frozen on the course.

2. Consider Have extra layers in both special needs bags. you may not get them back. Oh well. At least have options at mile 56, or a shirt tied around the waste, or something you can pull out from a jersey pocket. Rolling up a long sleeve technical shirt and tie it around your waste. Great way to leave T1/T2 if you are unsure of how cold its going to get.

3. any turn on the course you need to slow down more than normal. Ride safe. Keep the bike stable, not leaning to one side or the other more than needed.
  • Options

Hey Nate/Everyone-

Just posted a question in the Race Execution forum. What wheel setup are you thinking of using? I don't know how to copy/paste a link from that forum to this one. If you  get a chance to go check out the question over in that other forum so that I'm not posting it in two different places that would be great and would appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone! Wolf

• Options
    Nate- note that the RD was really specific about no trash bags and such on the bikes in transition. I know, we all want to protect the drivetrain (there goes my brand new lovely chain), but with the wind in Cambridge they become hazards. He said they would be removing any wrapping on the bike except covers on the seat or computer.

Wolf- I've got 404's on my bike but I'm bringing a "normal" front wheel and will likely swap it out for race day. Given the expected wind, I think it's safer to leave disk wheels home.
  • Options
    Thanks Nemo on the trash bags. didn't see that.

I guess its one less thing to worry about then...besides a rusted up bike. ugh.

• Options
    Talked to a friend who is a local coordinator with Ironman. Not cancelled - tentatively postponed for Oct 17th. Have to assess damage after storm passes. Everyone there is devastated too. Just turned my car around.
  • Options
    I totally understand and respect the decision. Now I have a freshly cleaned house to enjoy this weekend while the storm does whatever it's gonna do.

If they are able to postpone to Oct 17, how many of you would actually be able to turn around the logistics to make that happen?
  • Options
    I just signed up for B2B that same weekend, there is no way I am not doing a race this month. Guess some real exercise is on the books for this weekend!
  • Options
    I should be able to race on 10/17. The question is what do we do for the next two weeks? Do we just re-do the last two weeks of training?
  • Options
    ugh...
    not sure how i feel about the "maybe on the 17th" part of all of this. feel really bad for people flying in and already shipped their bike...

• Options
    I won't be able to do it on such short notice. I'm hoping Ironman will let me transfer to another race, like IMFL.
  • Options
    William- that was my question too. What the heck do I do now with all this pent up taper energy!? I'm going to post a question for the coaches in the larger forum since it seems lots of us will have that question.

The other alternative is B2B (not a WTC race I know) which is also Oct 17.

And yeah- I've got a friend who found out after arriving at BWI. It's the really out of town folks I feel bad for the most.
  • Options
    IMFL is gonna be full. I highly doubt that's gonna be an option.
  • Options
    Oh wow!! We found out 10 minutes before boarding so are currently scrambling at the airport, canceling everything. Bike and bags are on their way tho. Now what...

Dang!!!
  • Options
    wow. I have been following you all just because I did this race last year and am still on the forum.... I could feel the excitement!!!!! It was palpable! the good news..... you have an incredible amount of fitness at this moment. If there was something else you needed to do, or unfinished business you couldn't get done, you can attend to that image and perhaps you will be back soon! and you will be more fit when the time comes.
  • Options

my hotel, comfort inn, is debating on how much of a fee they are going to charge all of us folks who are cancelling. The funny thing is my wife got a better rate for the weekend of the 17th.

I agree with Nemo on the out of town folks...

Let's just hope the hurricane doesn't cause a lot of damage to cambridge and the surrounding area.

agree on the idea of posting on what the heck to do now in terms of training. Julie, do you have a road bike, maybe see about borrowing someones bike for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Just got home and still kind of in shock... my brain is buzzing with all the stuff I have to undo - reservations, contact friends / family that were coming, ... This was going to be a really fun weekend, in addition to the race (which I was really looking forward to also.) My brother lives in Ocean City; I was going to finally meet fellow ENers!!!; I have 10 college friends who rented a house in St. Michael's to experience their first IM; lots of athlete friends from CA who actually had already arrived to race site and are REALLY in shock; hubby looking forward to the Hyatt; sister/brother-in-law coming down from NYC ... ah well... I totally get it; sure seems like the right call, and I applaud Ironman for being decisive. When I first started reading about Joaquin yesterday, I had a sinking feeling.

I am feeling very fortunate that so far, we've been able to cancel all our reservations and get refunds. So sad for all the athletes already in Cambridge - THAT would be devastating. To all you East Coasters, stay dry and safe!

I'll start another post on What's Next for us... as I'm sure we're all thinking about that! Try and enjoy the rest of your day, and don't bother unpacking... that would be depressing. Save that for tomorrow!
  • Options
    Ugh, and I just found out that 2 very dear friends were traveling to Cambridge for the race as a total surprise for me!!!! I had absolutely no idea they were going to be there to cheer! Having that special present spoiled hurts the most. Punch to the stomach.
  • Options
    Well,
    Crap I'm one of the ones caught in cambridge..fangled work, flights,bed and breakfast now it's all just numbness....oh well s@#t happens
  • Options

Julie, Any luck with cancelling your reservation at the Hyatt without a fee?  I called the Hyatt 1-800 customer service line and they hadn't waived the 1-night fee yet, but they could do so later.  Since I'm not checking in until tomorrow, there was no reason to cancel now, so I'll wait to see if they change their minds.  Thanks.

• Options

Hey David, yes... we were successful in canceling Hyatt.  We called about 2 hours ago and did it through an automated system.  After seeing your note and realizing I didn't get a confirmation email, we just called them directly to double-check.  All's good.  Hope you have the same results!