Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Francis Picard Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    FP, that's a great session. You are dialed in for sure. Race day will give you plenty of chances to make the right decision. A faster day (for this go around) is a solid last 3 miles...or if you feel better...4...5....or 6.

IOW, don't push the swim or bike....the run comes from there.
  • Options
    Patrick,

noted!

I looked at my next weeks planning and I wish to confirm and seek for your input.

Actually on week 16 of the HIM, next week I move to week 9 of the advanced IM plan. Thursday runs are now splitted.

Actually since week 14 of the HIM, runs are not splitted anymore, its a full 120'. The advancec IM plan wants me to split run 60' and 45'.

What should I do ? I like to the idea of split run, do you think I can do 2X60' split ?

Also, Its also far away and not that much, what should I do during my taper week ? June 20th to June 26th ? go back to the advancec HIM taper week, if I follow my TSR, I should be doing IM week 12.

Thanks again for your usual input!
  • Options
    Francis, always great to hear from you. I say that you plan on doing 2 x 60. Split Runs Rule!

And as for taper week, I'd rather we have you just modify that week, which is normal week through Wed.

Thursday is a shorter run (45', with some pick ups at 5k pace).
    Friday is Swim Day as planned.
    Saturday is OFF, logistics.
    Sunday is Race.
    Monday is OFF, recovery.
    Tues + Wed are training for time vs effort.

But first, you gotta head over to Racing Central under Resources and figure out your race plan, etc!!!
  • Options
    Thanks ! you gave me the answer I wished !

Yes race plan is in my head, need to put in on paper and post to the forum for team's comments, will do so during race week =)
  • Options
    Race plan is now in the race & execution forum, with the waterfall rain this week end, I had the time to write it!
  • Options
    Ok, I'll head over there!
  • Options
    Patrick,

next week is a IM ADV week 12, it has the FTP bike test on Tuesday, should I skip it and just do some climbing work or stick with the test ? IMO (FWIW) I don't think it will be useful to test before the race as I think my FTP is still at the good number. - let me know what you think.

This week is big training #2 - adv IM. I'll do on Friday. I guess I can still do it since I will be 10 days aways from race day.

Thanks!
  • Options
    FP, no testing needed. Do the alternate workout listed on that day...or 2 x 12' (3') in Zone 4 as that's a good replacement -- hard enough but not damaging.

Yes to the big day but then some big time off after 24-36 hours so you'll be ready for your race!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Small report of my IMMT #1 Big Day.

Swim :

https://www.strava.com/activities/611897525

Kids woke up late, arrived late at the pool and didnt have the full 60' as such I decided to go hard as much as I can to see what I had in the arms & shoulders. Really, Really happy, everytime I decided to push the swim I get to this pace. When arrived home, I was a bit scared that I let too much in the pool.. good news ? not at all.

bike:

https://www.strava.com/activities/612124144

I tried to ride the full 4hours @ 70%-72%, I wasnt able considering all the lights between km85 to km100.. I was getting pissed. As you can see I still had energy that I went on the only Montreal's hill to do a final push. HR was in zone 2 for 3:20. Felt I could had ride another 1-2hours easily. Was able to stay areo for km 6 to km85.

Still used the same nutrition & hydration plan that I am using since 2 years with little minor changes. Good news ? That I could bike that way after a hard swim. Can I push harder next time ? maybe, will test it during next big day.

Not happy with the avg speed, but I put that on the many lights

Run : 

https://www.strava.com/activities/612200628

When doing RR or big training I always add climbs to my run to add a bit of challenges. Felt good during the run, brough hydration with me since it was warm. Happy on how the HR stayed flat almost a perfect line. It increased until km2 and stayed almost the same until the end.

Overall happy with the day, nutrition & hydration plan from last year still work in the heat and for long distance, that means I can still rely on it until it defaults.

Takeaway : better plan the bike route next time to avoid lights, I should had turned back around km60-65 to do the same road. I know you told me not to push too much on the bike, but I got the feeling I can still a bit more of power.. not much, just need to get on the line.

Thanks

• Options
    EPIC!!! So well done, and I agree 100% with your analysis. Every chance you get to do this, you get to do it better. Focus on the process and iterative improvement and you are going to be well underway to a fantastic race.
  • Options
    Hi Patrick, been a while I requested your assistance image

This week is week 17 of adv IMMT: 3 hours or 18 miles (whichever comes first)

On my 120' run I get 16,5M, do you want me to keep going to the 3hrs or really stop at 18 miles ?

z1 is 7:17 for 1hour = about 8m
    TRP is 7:06 for 1.5hr = about 12m
    z2 is 6:59 for 0.5hour = about 4m

It gets me to 24M (?!?), I bet you dont want me to run 24M, but IMO I think 18M is too low ?

What do you think I should be aiming ? I was thinking to aim 20M. I like the feeling to at least go once over 30K... I know its all against EN litterature, but need to be confort on that

Cheers!

• Options
    Let's do 2.5 hours, with no z2 time...that will get you to 20 without the "cost" of the final 30' and the extra Z2 time.

Looking forward to seeing the file!!! image

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Patrick,

Here is the file. Wasnt able to meet 2.5hr - 20M, need 9 additionals mins. But I added climb to simulate MT. Happy with the results, specially the HR which.

Test nutrition, peed 3X, not feeling deshytrated, feel I could had continue to 42.2km easily.

The only thing I can say: Run durability aspects of the plan are really working ! I am confident I can get my IM marathon to 5m/k pace this year VS 5:40 LY, which will result in ~26-28' PR on the run.

https://www.strava.com/activities/657015240
  • Options
    FP -

Strava tells me you were a little bit hot at the front, but otherwise great run!!! Nicely done!

Onwards!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    RP #2 - Week 18

Swim :

RR1 : went really, was able to hit the pace, focus on form, 4000M non-stop. Hit 1:54/100m.

RR2 goal : keep doing what went well, really focus on keeping the form, try to hit my race pace which is about 1:40-1:44/100m.

Bike:

RR1 : Felt bleh for the first 60km since its boring and all the stop/traffic lights. IF: 0.66, VI : 0.98. Got 2 punctures Nutrition went well since its the same plan Im using since 2 years with small changes

RR2 goal : I found a better road, did a part of it last week. Will bring more food and liquid with me to avoid stops at gas station, hope for no puncture. Will try to get IF around 0:69-0:70. As Cronk told me on 70.3MT race report, focus on keep pedaling and no cruising.

I got custom alarms setup in the 920 which does the job to remind me when and what to eat. Will test the 520 new setup, use race wheels, race kit.

Run:

RR1 IF on the bike was low, as such I felt fresh on the run and was able to hit my MP which is about 4:45-4:48/km. Left with a bottle of fluid, eat by what is set in the 920.

RR2 goal : see if I can repeat same execution as in RR1 but with a higher a higher IF.

Day 2- will do the 180km bike.

Day 3 - will try to get at about 110-120km - don't think I'll be able to hit another 180km but will try.

Expected weather is 3 wonderful sunny days with a high of about 34-36C each day.

Will post a report after the 3 days.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Woo hoo! Looking great. Remember the most important things to get quality nutrition between the sessions so your justice for Sunday three as you are on day one. hopefully those minor tweaks to make a difference for you. I will say that I'm not too worried about your run IF. It's important to see what it feels like to run a little hotter and now is the time to do it versus early miles on race day, but it's not mission-critical. Good luck staying cool and be safe out there!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Report on how RR #2 Went.

Swim :

https://www.strava.com/activities/663030987

Nothing to say, it has to be like that on race day. Miss sub 60' by a few seconds. But that will not be my goal on race day, dont want to burn myself for 30 seconds.

Bike:

https://www.strava.com/activities/663546674

I got mixed feeling regarding my biking. On one hand, I feel that I got more efficient on the bike : I run soooo much better after the bike this year compare to last year. IF: 65, VI 0,91.

At the same time, I dont like my numbers that I got from the bike, yes I was riding in the city, had some traffic lights etc.. but speed is exactly the same as last year, I don't find I made any progress on the bike. On race day, speed will increase at about 31-33km/h as it always do... But would like to address this next year if I want to achieve the high goals I got, need to get faster on the bike!

Only positive thing regarding the bike: nutrition is nailed, I didnt feel hungry at all at the end of the day.. that might also indicate im not pushing enough ? dunno.

Run:

https://www.strava.com/activities/663602723

With the high temperature today (37C during the run), had to slow down, but overall happy. Was able to raise HR in the last 3KM and to have it drop easily, focus on hydration also here.

Tomorrow : I will stay with what was in the original advanced plan and will go for the full 180km and have the magic happens =)

Thanks!
  • Options
    Francis, RR's are not the place to compare work one year vs next. That's more of a Power Curve chart...or compare HR for that ride vs power and the same ratio to that ride this time last year. But you are ALWAYS faster on race day for less effort than in training. Tapering is magic...the only thing that jumps out at me on the bike is your HR dipping down from miles 65 to 95...even though the elevation doesn't. Want to make sure the nutrition is good and your pacing plan as well.

IMMT rewards patience in Lac Superior with chances to be fast on the TT side...but you can't work too hard on those hills if you want to ride well...and run even better.

As for the weighted performance to the run, I can think of 999 triathletes who wished their run was going really well right now. image

That's your secret weapon!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments Patrick. As for the HR dropping from 65 to 95, I think its when I stopped taking gels, will pay attention on race day, thanks for flagging this!

As for the speed, you are probably right, I am actually carrying a high CTL of 166, taper will create that magic =)

Day 2:

https://www.strava.com/activities/664722347

I decided to go with the full 112m for the 2nd day, it was hard for the first 20km specially those are the one needed to get out of the city but it went alot better than I thought considering it was the 2nd day. HR seems to started dropping around km 160.

Run : 30' brick

https://www.strava.com/activities/664762571

So looking fwd to run that marathon

Day #3:

https://www.strava.com/activities/665563725

was suppose to go for 120KM, but got stock on the shore because a boat was coming and couldnt cross any bridge and was limited in time.. anyway my rear tire was going to explode, it has 5 places where the rubber is getting away.

Now time to taper, write the plan, relax and rest.

Thanks for all your help on this training cycle! was appreciated to receive your support & comments.
  • Options
    Nicely done...you are in a great place now. I think that back tire was looking out for you. Speaking of which, it's now time for you to get all that stuff cleaned up and race ready!

Can't wait to see the race plan!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Patrick,
    was on vacation this week and was suppose to do week 1 of transition plan. Since I did zero wkout, should I do week 1 this week or jump to week 2 directly ?
    Did my first post IMMT ride this morning, didnt feel as bad as like last year where I didnt wanna see my tri bike for life LOL.

Rich had me to do 3 weeks of the transition plan before getting back to IM training for IMAZ.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    FP -

Let's move straight to your second week of the transition plan. I hope you had a great time on the Cape!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Thanks!

I know we are still far. But wanted to know what you think about a little hack for the IMAZ training cycle.

I was thinking to keep Monday & Friday swims.

Since my bike skills are not to where I wanted, I was thinking to do the same interval work on Tuesday & Wednesday.

I will also keep the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday runs.

What do you think ? I wanna to get faster and stronger on the bike for IMAZ.

Thanks!
  • Options
    FP can you map out the whole week? Back to back bike interval days won't really be a sustainable improvement...also define faster and stronger with some specifics so we can be realistic!
  • Options
    I will do an outside FTP test in the first week of IMAZ build, got to 320TSS for the IMMT ride. By stronger and faster I mean to be able to breakthrough the 22MPH avg speed. Seems im stuck at that speed since almost a year, IMO I think I should be faster since im lighter, FTP was 234 beginning of the NOS and was 270 last time I test.

Here is the typical week.

Monday :
    60' swim, 45' hills running

Tuesday :
    45' run intervals
    60' swim to be replaced by bike intervals ?

Wed:
    60' bike intervals followed by run brick

Thursday:

split runs

Friday:
    30' pre ride run
    long bike run

Saturday:
    ABP ride

Sunday:
    60' swim that is usually on Friday
  • Options
    FP remember that speed on race day isn’t about W/kg, it’s about absolute watts. So at 270, you are riding at 189 watts. But me at 340 am riding at 245 watts (both are 70%). I will win because my FTP is just bigger (and IM courses have plenty of flat fast areas).

If a faster bike is the goal, you have the time to do a "hard bike" block in Sept before moving back to traditional IM Training in Oct / Nov.

A hard bike week would look like this...

Mon - Swim
    Tue - FTP Ride, short brick
    Wed - Interval Run, optional swim day.
    Thu - 110% FTP ride, short brick
    Fri - Swim
    Sat - 2.5 hour ABP ride, 60' steady run off it.
    Sun - 2.5 hour ABP ride, 60' steady run off it.
  • Options
    Ok Thanks!

Will think about it if I should do this for September or stick to the IM plan (I would miss weeks 11, 12, 13 and 14)

Sorry for all this bombing questions these past days =) I have alot of time to turn rocks!
  • Options
    FP - feel free to put it to the Team. You are fit enough coming off IMMT that some variety would be a good thing vs just more volume. But 100% up to you!!

I'll be following along for sure!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Patrick,
    I'll give a try to your proposed plan.

Here how I am going to play with the wkouts to fit schedule and what will be the wkouts.

Mon - Swim 6X400M - s/b 35'-40'
    Tue - FTP Ride, (3X8' @ FTP OR 3X15'?) short brick (15')
    Wed - Swim 6X400M - s/b 35'-40'
    Thu - 110% FTP ride (5X4' @ 110%), short brick (15')
    Fri - 2.5 hour ABP ride, 60' steady run off it.
    Sat - 2.5 hour ABP ride, 60' steady run off it.
    Sun - Interval Run (4X3') ? - No swim pools are closed on week end during fall.

Looking fwd to see the results and resume IM training on camp week 15 should be fun to see
    - Thanks!
  • Options
    FP that all looks good. My only edit is that you check out the Swim Faster ebook and come up with a better plan than 6 x 400 for swim speed!!!!!