Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Week 15 - Camp Week!

Welcome campers!  Time to sharpen your mental focus with a big weekend of training.

My Monday run is done - https://www.strava.com/activities/406782525

Tonight is swim and then route planning for this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    Clark, you must be on the advanced plan. My intermediate plan doesn't have a run on Monday. Having said that, I did a low intensity 4 mile run this morning, as I didn't get any Friday or Saturday runs in. I will swim this afternoon.

Route planning for this weekend was a no-brainer for me. Back to back hundreds on the beeline. It is raining today. I hope it's over by the weekend.

Kevin and the San Diego crew, you should consider the six-hour drive East and join me on the beeline this weekend!
  • Options
    Or 2 long rides on Beeline the week of 10/17-24 when I am there ;&ltimage
  • Options
    Somewhere around 10:00 this morning, right after nearly falling asleep in a work meeting, I decided I was more tired than I thought. Thus, no Monday swim for me today and potentially no Tuesday run either. I'll make that call in the morning, but I'm not optimistic at this point. I guess my Saturday / Sunday ride combo over the weekend took a higher toll than I anticipated...

I just checked connect and with a combined TSS of 485 for the two rides, I no longer feel bad about feeling tired. Sleep will fix it, sleep fixes nearly everything.
  • Options
    We all have to stand down sometime Clark! I have to remind myself rest cures a lot. I felt great yesterday after my 'day off' Sunday (LOL I did work 0700-1800).
    My HRV Was high yesterday am and had a nice run. Pm swim-still drilling but actually have my stroke per length down 2-3 strokes with new technique-still have a ways to go before I achieve 'efficiency'
  • Options
    35' run done. 2x1mi @z4 (+3",-7"). Boom! Happy dogs this morning
  • Options
    @Clark: you have a lot in the bank already. Now is the time when you need to stay fresh to execute properly. Rest is going to be very important.

On the other hand I am still trying to build. Did 3:45 hard on the bike Thursday, off Friday, 2+ hour run Sat, off Sunday. Yesterday ran 5 miles with 2 x 1 z3 (30"), 4 x .25 miles high Z3 (30") then 3900 swim mostly as written but incorporating some drills on the 200s and the 150s. Swim lesson today and either/and short bike/run.
  • Options
    Hey IMAZ campers, been following all , nice work Clark, Betsy, and Dave!

Tapering this week, and ending with a little Ironman RR in KONA to end my camp week for IMAZ....Be checking in a bit more after that.

@ Betsy - HRV - Interested to hear more of your experience with HRV... I used it for a month last winter (then had an issue with the HR monitor).... Started back up again in June , 1 month before IMLP , stayed green , then I went red during my final taper week right before IMLP while I was the most rested I had been all year, then right after IMLP I went green and stayed there with exception of a few yellow days in Sept, since then I have been green , but today in my final taper week I go yellow again??? I'm not finding much correlation and if anything its seems to be the exact opposite of what it should be?
  • Options
    Just dropping in to say help IMAZ peeps! Cant wait to support you on the course. I put up the IMAZ 4Keys talk on Facebook etc. Make sure you register and share with friends or even the IMAZ Facebook groups. https://thefourkeysaz.splashthat.com/
  • Options
    @Tim - Thanks for checking in and good luck this weekend. You certainly picked a great place for your first IMAZ RR. Please pass along our support to coach and Al and the rest of the EN crew in Kona.

@Mariah - Thanks for the update on the 4Keys. I'll be sure to post that again in the next couple of weeks.

The past couple of days has served to remind me how fortunate I've been so far this year. I've been working very hard and, until now, I've been able to absorb that work with minimal issue. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were a much different story. I've dialed things back a little and I'm working on getting extra rest. Hopefully that does the trick.
  • Options
    Good luck to anybody hitting ther long ride and run tmrw. 100 degrees in So Cal!
  • Options
    +1 on Chris' comment. Safe, strong day to everyone doing RR#1 today.

No getting out of work today so I'll be doing my rides on Sat/Sun and the long run on Monday. At least it seems like the weather is going to cooperate.
  • Options
    X2 on Chris' comment-happy camping all!

Like Clark, I had to work today but out early as I worked until 9pm last night.
    I did an extra run yesterday-4 mi: z1, z1.5, z2 and z4
    Swim today then the back to back rides sat, sun and long run Monday.
    Our temps are only supposed to hit 95. We had a big cooling storm early in the week and I saw that the TTL water temp was 77. That means wetsuit legal for the upcoming 70.3.

@Tim and Al-good luck tomorrow in Kona!

And Tim-to follow up on HRV: David Ware and I have had a few discussions on its usefulness. I rarely find it correlates with how I feel. And if I don't like a number, I can redo it and really focus on my relaxing breathing and bring it into a good range. So, I am good at relaxing/meditating and increasing my vagal/parasympathetic tone. It's just another data point I collect and am happy when it's high. I don't think I've ever let the number dictate whether I skipped a wko
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone doing the9ir long rides, Camps, RRs, etc. I have had an issue arise with my knee so it will be a while before I run again (may end up walking IMAZ) but will continue to work on the swim and bike.

Good luck to Tim and Al.

Tim I have used HRV off and on for several years, including OmegaWave, Sweetbeat and Elite. All with mixed results. They never really said to stand down or rest even though I knew I should. Sometimes I would get into a ride or run and after the warmup could feel the legs just dead. I may be a bad responder or there may be something else going on. I also have the Garmin 920 and after 12 minutes it says your level of recovery and regardless of anything I may have done, every single time it says “good.” That just does not make sense to me…
  • Options
    Camp swim, done! Nothing like swimming 4k in a 25m pool, but I guess it's good for mental focus. Ended up taking 1:28, which I think is a swim RR PR for me. What I'm most happy about is that the last 100 was the same pace as the first 100. That's a first for me for sure.

Now it's off to mix bottles and lay out all of my crap for a bike RR and run tomorrow.

Happy camping everyone. Stay safe and execute well.
  • Options

Chris,

It was between 101-104F on my RR ride today...I would have been happy with 100F.....going back out to do it again tomorrow.

Here is my Strava:

Eric Burney

• Options
    Eric: will have to check strava flyby but i betcha anything we passed each other on SART...Hot as hell!

Ride safe everybody!
  • Options
    Kudos to the Southern California folks who rode in that heat wave today.

It was sunny and cool here in PA, pretty near perfect weather, especially for this time of year. RR#1 is done - https://www.strava.com/activities/410327282 and the brick run as well - https://www.strava.com/activities/410346884

Time to clean up and get everything ready to do it again tomorrow...

Then it's time to check in on the EN crew in Kona!
  • Options
    Great job guys. Keep it up and IMAZ will be great!!!
  • Options
    Disappointed I had tendinitis in my knee and cut my ride short to 70m. Thought it was more important to not totally destroy it and try to run tmrw than keep pushing it as it was getting worse. I think its from some cramps I had yesterday.

Betsey & other Az locals: What do u think the temp range will be on race weekend?
  • Options
    Well RR Week done! Had all day class yesterday so did my RR stuff mid week.
    Didn't get my RR swim in...dang it if I didn't forget about the noodle lady class at 6pm....and the AFB pool closed at 6pm... and had to be done by 730pm.....gerrrrr.
    Mon -Tues light Upper/core WKOs with swim bands focus on Tues as I missed swim

WED: 112 Bike. out at TimCronk's IM RR site. some mud in a few dips and buffiting by some simi's but not too bad...moderate breases till mid ride then faded to 6mph after a couple hrs. NICE 70s to low 80s. kept NP goal at 185 ish which is a bit more than .70 but less than what I felt I could do for a good ride....tricky to find the -"I can still run a marathon" watts..... No leg adductor spasms this time.
    RR1: https://www.strava.com/activities/408467317#

Run Brick: held the Z1+ish pace of 10:00 EZ peasy even on the 1-2% grade back and Hr still very much aeurobic. again, nice not to run @ 95+ degrees! maybe that 4:00-4:15 still a go??
    Brick run: https://www.strava.com/activities/408500018

THRS: Bike #2 legs really feeling OK (?!) a little stiff but power EZ to make.... another nice day out.... first 2 miles lots of interuptions but NP 175ish at the high Z1 low Z2 range then pushed a bit more with Z3 SS work and a bit of Z4+ for "fun" ...knew I had to cut ride to "only 4.5 hrs" so was happy to get my 'minimum' of 80 miles.
    Ride #2: https://www.strava.com/activities/409074585

FRI: again time crunched.... did it all on track to ensure a nice SS run. Z1+ (9:50-10:00) x6 miles then Z2build to Z4x6 miles. felt really good -temp 82 helped.....like I was aware that my legs where a bit heavy ...but they turned over just fine and I never felt I was pushing too hard even at my last z4+mile. maybe my running isn't so far behind?
    Long run: https://www.strava.com/activities/409505384

SAT: OFF legs a bit rubbery but OK
    SUN: Legs a little thick/stiff. but not neerly as bad as last camp week. will try to get a bit of a swim and maby a reeeel short EZ MTB spin to loosen legs up.... I KNOW I do best with a good recovery.

Good job to everyone else! And great going Team EN in Kona!

• Options
    My 1st Camp Week is in the books. Knee tendonitis from the cycling overuse didnt keep me down - got in the full run this a m.

Starting to think my power meter is wonky. My 6:08 split only came in at 140 NP and .52 which seems really low considering my ftp is around 230 or so.
  • Options
    @Chris-weather has been gorgeous every year but 2010 when it hailed on the beeline and was cold.
    Since 2012 ( my first IMAZ), they moved the race up a week from Sunday before thanksgiving. There is a cold front that seems to settle in that week. 2012 lake temp was 61, my hands were numb and useless in T1. . Since moving it up, lake temp has been 65 or warmer, 68 last year. It's a little nippy on the first half loop of bike but then warm. I've never needed a long sleeve shirt on run. The reports this year are for a warm wet El Niño. I just hope wet starts after 11/15/15. It's still in the 90s here so high will be in the 80s next month I'm sure.

I started camp Friday with the swim so got my back to back hundreds done, run tomorrow.

As for swim, I got 90' in but only 3k. And of that, the first 2k was the swim drills/alternating with swim I've been doing since last lesson. Then I did a 1000 and was a minute faster! Lesson tues, hopefully been a good student and make a plan for the remainder of season so I can finish the IM swim.

Sat ride: 6.05 for 100mi. If .7. Temp only hit 90 by time I was done and sun mostly behind partial cloudiness. A brutal wind kicked up on the beeline coming from the north. My second 20 mi from McDowell up to bush highway a grinder. Flew back down to McDowell however.
    50 min BRIC-one of my best. Easily did z1 with only 10-15s, had to keep slowing down. I changed my beeline strategy-small ring In front/higher cadence on push from McDowell to shea. I think that really helped the bric. Also, Figuring out my sciatic issue (different seat, proper positioning). No numb right leg.

Today's ride a little slower, 6:15. I felt like IF only .65 but only 10' longer ride time. Wind today not as brutal and coming more from the south. My last ride down from shea to McDowell it really kicked in but then I flew back up to shea in record time. I so wanted to be done that it's the only time all day I had the mojo to exceed my .7. I really fueled well today figuring I needed it. I looked at today as an exercise in learning to manage the aches and pains. I've really learned a lot about relaxing neck, feet etc
  • Options
    Great job @Chris, finishing your first camp week! It's a lot of work, but in the end it's all worth it.

My modified camp schedule is finally finished. Sunday I rode a second century, but this one was much less focused than my Saturday RR. Regardless, I got in another 100 miles - https://www.strava.com/activities/411219064

This morning I was up early for my long run and it was a good one. I felt strong and pretty focused the entire time. https://www.strava.com/activities/411451972

Now I need to get moving or I'm going to be really late for work.