Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

Possible Swim Cancellation?

Roy:

Since you're local, can you provide any insight as to what they are reporting in the news down there?  I read an article about a week ago and I just read this update today:  http://www.courier-journal.com/story/tech/science/environment/2015/10/02/ironman-swim-occur-only-if-water-safe/73231770/

Thom

Comments

• Options
    Thom - unless testing conducted last week clears the advisory, then the conditions on this coming Thursday will determine whether we swim or not. And because tests take time to conduct, we will not know the results of Thursday's test until possibly hours before race day. E.g., the swim practice on Saturday could be cancelled and then the Recreational Advisory is lifted overnight when Thursday's test results come back. If we are lucky, tests conducted today or tomorrow will come back good - and we will find out Thursday or Friday. Until then, there is nothing we can do except cross our fingers.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul image Fingers are now crossed.
  • Options
    Posted today:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - In less than a week, 3,000 athletes will attempt to finish the 140.6 mile Ironman competition, but the first leg of the triathlon remains up in the air.

The Ironman in Louisville is no stranger to drama. Last year, extreme heat led to talks of shortening the race. This year, toxic algae in the Ohio River have put the 2.4-mile swim in limbo.

"People are freaking out without the swim and you know what, it's going to be ok," VO2 Multisport Assistant Manager Peter Reid said.

He says since the Kentucky Division of Water put the advisory in place warning of swimming in Ohio River, athletes have added an additional layer of anxiety.

The advisory remains in place for any recreational use because of the health risks. If water is swallowed, swimmers may experience nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Skin, eye and throat irritation along with breathing troubles could also occur after contact.

Reid feels confident the swim will go on, even if that means tweaking the course.

"There's a bunch of different plan B's and plan C's to get around the algae," Reid said.

It all comes down to additional testing. The state will continue to collect samples on Tuesday and Thursday. Despite all the questions, canceling the swim is not being talked about on the Ironman Louisville Facebook page and Reid says he understands that.

"What they are doing now is just waiting it out, waiting it out, because they can make the game day decision seriously like two hours before the race," Reid said.

• Options
    https://kydep.wordpress.com/

Seems to be moving in the positive direction!

• Options
    Thanks Paul and Stephan. That's good news! Those numbers are consistent with reports from upstream. Hopefully everything is flowing downhill and away from Lou. I need to swim. It's all I got.
  • Options
    Positive swim news, yippee! Hope the next test confirms the good news! Like Jay, I need the swim!