Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2015 EN 12 Days of Holiday Running

124»

Comments

• Options
    @Stephanie, still on track for those 5 bonus points!
    @Steve, I learned about Ghandi from an episode of Seinfeld. Way to get a nice long one in today, although it doesn't look like anything in that picture is ploughed.
    @Al, just like riding a bike! Way to get back to it.

I put in 8 miles this AM on the TM and got an extra point for going over an hour. After work I ran 4 outside with the last one at Z 2.5 and my fastest mile of the challenge so far.

Keep racking up those points everyone!
  • Options
    Hey Everyone! I'm posting from my phone out of town and it won't let me update the spreadsheet but I got in 8 yesterday + 1 hr for 9 pts. Huge but silly problem has occurred. My hubby and I went walking and dancing in the French Quarter New Orleans last night and half way through the evening I got a stone bruise in the ball of my right foot. Yes I was wearing obnoxiously high heels (but they looked fabulous!!). We had an absolute blast but today I'm limping and thinking ....ok...not so smart! Walked about 2 miles around and about this morning and just that was a struggle. Gonna ice it a bit and then see what a really easy jog feels like. Keep going the rest of you folks! Finish strong!!
  • Options
    @Al - It always seems to colder and snowier in my little development in Graham. When there is a dusting of snow in Puyallup, we have an inch. An hour before your post, I was questioning my motivation for this challenge. I now have a "team" to focus my meager miles on, even if it's only for another two days.

Started the morning with a mile run before work, in what I thought was 30 degree weather. It was 22. 2 pts there.
    Afternoon run was bright, sunny and briskly cold. Mid 30's I guess. The hand warmer stuffed into my shoe was throwing of my Tempe's readings. The first 4 miles were a bit rough. I was out of my office and 4 hours without eating wasn't working out so well. By mile 4 the gels and bloks had kicked in and I was able to pick up the pace.

All was going well, and I was set to try and finish the last mile at a Z3 pace, until a long tanker train blocked the access back to my office. There was another train blocking the only other road in as well. After standing around for 30 min, and becoming quite cold, it was time to do some train hopping. With a successful train hop, I was on my way. Finished with a moving time of 1:24 and 10.19 miles. 11 pts for this run and 13 for the day.
  • Options

Well day #7 and it's the last day of the year for 2015. It was a busy day today for me, core work, pool,  and a run. So off B and me we went this evening. Using new toy led lights on our shoes was like watching a light show freakin awesome. In all we put in a quick 3 miler but we did get er done. So tonites picture is an awesome pic of our Parliament house to your "White House" ! See you peeps tomorrow and play safe tonite !!

• Options
    I've been super motivated by the holiday challenge and amazed at some of the mileage being posted by many. I've not been posting the high mileage and haven't had any cold temps to boost my points but have been able to squeeze in some threshold miles and a few runs over an hour. Tomorrow I have a New Years 5k so will get the bonus plus some threshold points. Best part is that the objectives were met; It's been fun and I'm no fatter than I was the day before Christmas.
  • Options
    @Dave, you've put in some great work, nice job getting it done!
    @Phil, way to get the double run in for some great points! I don't know how you got it going again after waiting for the train in the cold like that, ugh.
    @Stephanie, take care of that foot, not fun to deal with I'm sure if you're trying to run.

Finished up the challenge today with a 1 mile run. Temperature was 30 and the snow was falling, so an extra bonus point. Totals for the 8 day challenge are 74 miles and 89 points. If I include the 4 days preceding the challenge I ran 150 miles (my goal) and racked up 172 points.

Great work to everyone who participated. I hope you had fun and met your goals. I know I did. It was great to see the daily Ross update and see the posts from everyone else as well!
  • Options
    good job all ! was fun and grats on your achievment Doug !
  • Options
    Good morning and Happy New Year!!

@Doug super job on a tremendous week and a half ...wow! And yes....babied my foot yesterday.

Stubborn me hopped on hotel treadmill late afternoon yesterday and jogged easy 5. Slow but it actually felt better to jog slow than walk. Got in 45 min bike per the training plan. Massage at hotel spa the perfect way to end 2015! Heading home today so I should be able to get a couple of slow miles in and core later!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, inspiration and mojo boost to kick off the new year!!!! I'm so pumped!!
    Will check in later!!

Y'all rock!!!

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Well Day#8 is now here and gone for me my run challenge is now complete. This was a lot of fun even though it was my lowest total to date. Hmm from Dougie's post I outran him today(win win today) I was able to get in 49.5 miles with 11 bonus points. When I do this challenge I am like Doug all in or bust. This year was a differ story. I was getting over an accident, rehabbing all along the way. And then not one but two hamstring injuries back to back left and right, oh throw in a left calf strain too. It was not a pretty picture both hammy's strapped and a calf wrap to boot ugg. That was all just before the challenge so I used this to reset and get the body run fit. I did last the eight day's with no old injury rearing it's head so for me a shot in the arm for positives. 2016 here we come and congrats to all !

• Options

This was a very successful training period for me. I was able to navigate through all of the Christmas cookies, cakes, pies, meals & drinks without adding weight. Also, I ran every day from the 21st through today. During the challenge I was able to get a run in with a great friend and teammate, Doug Johnson. I also got a run with my oldest son Ted who was home on break. During the total 12 day period, I racked up 92 miles and 96.5 points. For the official run challenge, I completed 62.2 miles and 77.6 points. I averaged 7.75 miles per day during the challenge which was above my original goal of 10K per day.Thank you to everyone who participated for the motivation and MoJo you all sent out. It really helped me.

• Options

@ Paula - link in first post of this thread...

• Options
    I did it, I did it. I ran 8 days in a row. Goal today was to run farther than Dougie. I know for those, like Edwin who have ran 12 days in a row, this is no big deal, but for this chica it is HUGE!!!! I have been running 4 days in a row since November, and had to really get over the hump on Day 6 to make it through, but I did it. Not sure I faired as well as Edwin on the weight front, but I know it will move in the right direction with the start of JOS on Jan 4. Tomorrow I will be running my first snowshoe race of the season. I know it is going to be challenging, not only because we have some serious snow, I have fatigue in my legs from 8 days of running, but because it is one freakin hilly course. I will wear my garmin and upload for all to see. Thanks for keeping me motivated peeps. Really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Way to go Brenda!!!! boo yah!!!!!!!
  • Options

Well this was a lot of fun!  Great work everyone!  I managed to run all 8 days and 11 days in a row total.  December was actually my highest run volume month for 2015 including Ironman Muskoka training last summer.    

Thanks you all for the inspiration to keep going!  Happy 2016! 

I am not sure if I posted this photo right, but if so, this is from my run today with a couple of friends. I'm the dude with the Michigan State hat with ice cycles on my beard.

• Options

I haven't posted during the challenge, but I've enjoyed following all of you.  This challenge was a big victory for me.  I started on the 21st bc I thought that's when it started.  Then I found out it didn't and skipped Christmas Eve bc I wasn't feeling it.   I have run 11 of the last 12 days and I feel really good.  Some runs were shorter, some were longer, some faster, some slower.  I just did what I felt like and it was pretty awesome.  I go through phases where one discipline is more enjoyable than the others and I focus on that for awhile.  I haven;t swam since my last race in on 8 Nov.  I just haven' felt like it. Bu right now...I feel like running.

Last year, by day 6 of the challenge, I was so tired.  I really didn't want to run the last 2 days, but I did and it was a great feeling of triumph.  This year, I've done my 8 days in a row and I still feel really good.  I amazed because I'm not sure what the difference is- except maybe the 20 mile per day bike commute?  IDK, but it's pretty cool.

So my next challenge?  Continue through 24 Jan and do 30 days in a row.  If I'm still liking it, I might do another 30 days.  Running is my weakest sport (which isn't saying much, considering I'm right about average in the other two!).  I'm starting the JOS with the run durability and I'm looking forward to it. Oh and the weight- up two pounds despite all this running.  Grrrr.

• Options
    Brian - love the ice. What were the temps.
  • Options

Brenda - 26 Fahrenheit (-3.33 Celsius) ha ha 

• Options
    I joined EN last month so I’m finishing week 7 of the run durability plan. This challenge was a no brainer for me since I’d be running anyway, only adding 1 run on a core/off day (don’t tell RnP) to earn the 5 bonus points for consecutive days. I had no goals, just put in the prescribed work.

If I ever felt sorry for myself in the last 12 days (because 1 run was under 80 degrees, average was 85) it’s gone seeing all your pics from the great white north. You people are animals.
  • Options
    Squeezed in my 8th and last run of the challenge. 1 mile in 26 degree temps. 2 + 5=7 points total. Not bad considering the MSN laden Chinese buffet I just overstuffed myself at.

The holiday's were a bit rough this year. I ate too much and slept too little. Suprisingly, I haven'the put on any weight.

I fared better in last year's challenge as I had put in 20 more miles. Though I wasn't in the middle of the NOS, balancing bike wko's as well. 16 more miles on tap to finish out the week and then I may take a day off on Monday.
  • Options

Finished my 8th run yesterday.  It was an easy 3 miler with my wife. Very icy conditions but beautiful sunny day.   Today, i will run one more time and take a break tomorrow getting ready for OS.    That will be 12 days straight of running.  I've never done that before.  Legs are a little tired, but not bad.  Enjoyed having the challenge of daily running.