Home General Training Discussions
Options

May or June Audible Bike Camp??

Current plans for the May/June unofficial camp week at Chez Truscott.  I'll keep this updated as new information rolls in.  

Not intended to be set in stone, but to have one source for the current thinking.

Tentative Dates - May 29-June 5th (ish)

Who's In : 

• Al T (Generous Host)
  • Jeremy B (All week)
  • Stephanie S (Friday-Sunday)
  • Jeff S (TBD)
  • Kim D (TBD)
  • Atilla M (TBD)
  • Teri C  (TBD)
  • Danielle S (Tue - Sun)
  • Mark S (Wed -Sun)
  • Steve B (Thurs -Sun)

Tentative:  

• Scott D
  • John W
  • Matt A
  • Dawn C 

Bike Rental (Jeremy to negotiate group rate)

• Jeremy B
  • Danielle S

Agenda

• TBD - will be developed as plans above are firmed up.

Comments

• Options

My annual visit to train in the Rockies (Aspen area is scheduled May 25-June 17. I'd gladly host a group of 8 or so @ my house for all the mountain riding you can handle, a week you'll never forget on the most beautiful, quietest roads you'll ever cycle. 

My fifth favorite ride. The road goes smack next to the river for 12 miles, then goes another 21 miles up into the mountains. 1-3% grade most of the way. From my house, 100 miles round trip to the end of the road.

My third favorite ride,Independence Pass. This is the last 5K of this 30K ride up from 8000'>>12,000. From my house, 60 mile round trip':

And my favorite ride, a TT covering 13 miles uphill from 8000' to 9600'. Three hour round trip from my house:

Then there's the Aspen-Vail-Aspen double century; the back way to Vail with 10,000 feet of climbing; or 80 miles round trip on a 1% rail-trail. here's more than enough riding or all kinds (and running) to fill a week (or more). 

The "bad" news...the last six miles of most rides is uphill (800'), with grades up to 9%. The goods news: every night back to the same bed, to a home-cooked meal or the gourmet cuisine of Aspen.

If you want to make it an Epic Camp, just schedule it for the ten days before Boulder 70.3 Jun 11th, finishing it off there after acclimating in the mtns.

• Options
    I did this a few years ago in September and had a great week.
    I'd be very much into the idea of creating a group of 6-8 people taking Al up on his gracious invite and coming up with a week that works. I am doing IMLP, so I could see myself doing this in the late May time frame.
  • Options
    @Al...this would be incredible. The timing would work great. You can certainly count me in if it materializes.
  • Options
    I'd be a soft "maybe". But wanted to put my hat in the ring so I can stay on top of updates, etc.

Would have to bring my "big boy pants" to keep up with Jeremy...
  • Options
    Timing of this would be great for IMLP. If you guys can put something together I might be able join in the fun.
    @Al.. Very gracious offer indeed...Thank you
  • Options
    Well. let's get started and see who chimes in:
    @Al T - how many people do we need to cap this at besides yourself?

for starters how far in advanced of LP? 6 weeks? more?
    what format do most people want? a full week? or perhaps a long weekend? 4 days(thrs-sun)? 5 days (weds - sun?)
  • Options
    This looks great. I am so jealous of you guys being able to do multiple camps and travel races. I wish my wife would let me retire. image
  • Options
    I'd like to throw my name in the hat if the schedule works....I'm doing IM Boulder 8/2
  • Options
    @ Scott - Rich has a big bike weekend on my plan for week 15. That would be the June 18th weekend for LP people.
  • Options
    I might consider if it lands in May but by the looks of others that may go, I might not be able to hang...
  • Options
    Al's in the driver's seat here given his generous offer.

I'll make whatever work as I'm relatively flexible. All else equal I'd prefer not to have it over Memorial day and would like to do the better part of a full week.

I'm pumped if this comes together.
  • Options
    Looks amazing, I'd be interested in this. I will also bring my own oxygen tank so I can keep up.
  • Options
    On paper this sounds perfect, but I wonder (Scott, Mark?) would this be too close to Placid? I'm thinking the lack of swimming and running too close to my A race might have a negative effect. I guess one could add some running in there, but by sound of it the riding alone will wipe us normal people out.
  • Options

I'm definitely interested!  June would work best for me as my kids will be out of school by then and is easier to make arrangements. 

• Options
    Jeremy - I could be interested depending on timing and venue. Will be at IMTX mid-May as cheerleader for my husband so would need to manage that and other child commitments. Keep me in the tracking however as I think it's a fantastic idea!
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 27 Oct 2015 08:46 AM

I'd be a soft "maybe". But wanted to put my hat in the ring so I can stay on top of updates, etc. 

Me too

• Options

OK, here are some facts and ideas

I will be @ my house in Snowmass from at least May 29 thru June 19. I have no other obligations between ToC (May 23) and the end of June (June 23), so that can be extended a bit on either side.

There's nothing to prevent me from hosting more than one group of people ... I go there primarily to ride and run and swim, and so welcome the company.

The house has beds for 9 people (in addition to me) in three rooms and a loft. There are three full baths and two half baths. There's off-street parking for about five cars, in addition to my own. Here's a link to a site where you can see the interiors (we've replaced one of the queen beds with two twins, ignore the prices unless you want to come skiing this winter!): www.vrbo.com/327001

I own the house with my sister. Her husband, a crafty businessman, became concerned I was using it more than they were, yet we shared the expenses. So we agreed to pay $10 per person per night for ourselves and all folks who come there as our guests to cover utilities and cleaning.

Now, suggested camp(s). A shorter version would take advantage of Memorial day, and run from May 25th thru May 31st (inclusive of travel days). It would feature five straight days of riding. The longer version would run from June 2 through June 10, and offer the opportunity to race @ Boulder 70.3 on June 11. There is no need that everyone do the same thing on any given day; there are two pools (1.5 and 8 miles away) and awesome running either right from the house (UP and DOWN) or or flat trails 10-20 minutes drive (and 1500-2000' lower in elevation). Basically, you tell me what you want to work on that day, and I tell you where to go and how to ride it; basically, a live-in coach while you're there.

As to how hard it is, I'm convinced (and have seen evidence) that anyone who can get through an EN IM prep phase of 12 weeks can handle all the routes and the altitude, and have fun doing it. One last thing...this is in no way an imposition on me or my house. I've been going there several times a year since 2005 to do my training, so I know the routes intimately. And doing this stuff with other enthusiastic people of *all* abilities, helping them have fun, is something I really enjoy.

I'm going to let this percolate a bit longer before trying to set up anything formal, but for now, I see the following people expressing an interest:

Jeremy B, Scott D, John W, Jeff S, Kim D, Attila M, Teri C. I can't tell if Rob, Mark and Danielle are just wistfully dreaming, or want to get out there.

I know we can make this work for one or both weeks. I can even host a smaller number over an otherwise unoccupied weekend (e.g., June 17-19).

• Options
    Al - this sounds spectacular. I am 100% in. If arrival dates are flexible I'd likely arrive the 27th or 28th and stay through the 4th or so.
  • Options
    I would probably try to join up for Fri-Sun if the dates work out for me. I doubt I would be able to get away from work more than that. Keep me in the loop.
  • Options
    Given that I recently had to back out of TOC due to the date change, I'm very interested in this. Its unlikely I will be able to attend over Memorial Day weekend, but could fly in and join everyone from the 31st-4th/5th. I would prefer to not travel with my bike and rent one while there. Al any suggestions on local places I could call?
  • Options
    Danielle - I found a place and was planning to rent as well. It's $275-350 (which isn't much more than the airline bike fee) for the week depending on how nice of a bike you get. I'll coordinate and maybe can get a better group deal.

If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll keep the master list here.

1-Jeremy
    2- Danielle
  • Options
    Memorial weekend might be ideal for me, maybe fri-mon. Happens to be my bday that weekend too so might be able to get "permission"...
  • Options
    @Jeremy: do we have a weekend in mind? seems like Danielle cannot do memorial day weekend and that Kim cannot.
    I am pretty open, only issue for me is if I do TOC or not, which is still up in the air for me, having to check on some kid & life commitments based on the new date. Of course, no sooner to I write this than I realize that I have the Wilmington whiteface 100(k) MTB race on June 5. I don't "need" to do this as I already have a spot for Leadville, but I am supposed to do this to learn how to race an MTB and improve my starting corral... so, now this is all up in the air for me and making TOC look like a wiser choice(do i always make the wiser choice?)

btw, www.bikeflights.com round trip is probably cheaper than the rental... just sayin...

looks like the dates we have as possibilities are (assuming a weds start)
    5/25- 5/30 (mem day) Danielle cannot do
    6/1 - 6/5 - Hoff Cannot Do
    6/8-6/12
    6/15-6/19 - Hoff's preferred weekend

• Options
    I'm watching this evolve with interest. I won't be able to make a call until much later, however.
  • Options
    Jeremy & Al: Definitely interested. I'm liking Scotts idea of a Wednesday start & any of the weeks he listed above would work for me.
  • Options
    Per Matt Aronson's post above, if you are following this thread, please add a post stating so. It wold be good to get an idea of how many people are interested in this!

If we can get 8-10 people total of varying levels, this would be a super fun long weekend. It would not be only good training, but the conversations over coffee, breakfast, beers, dinner, etc are probably some of the best learning we all can do from each other.

As a point of reference, when I did this in 2011, I barely knew anyone that was going aside from some online communications. I now count a number of people that were there that week as some of my true friends.
  • Options
    VERY interested.

Like Stephanie I would need to do a little condensed version. With the suggested dates I would probably join the Thur-Sat rides(26th-28th), but will keep an eye on what's decided date wise.

Could also do 3-4 days some other weekend if some other group develops , but curious as to what would work best with a HIM date of July 9th (Muncie)....any/all input would be welcomed about which time-frame would be best with that race date.

Whatever the case, major THANKS Al for the offer!
  • Options
    I edited my original post to capture the current thinking and be the 'go to' source.
  • Options
    I may try to sneak up for 1-2 days at the beginning, including Memorial Day. The following weekend is likely a no-go for me. I'm in charge of a big event that weekend.
  • Options

Jeremy - your intended weekend of May 29- June 5 is a no go for me. can do most of the others except the weekend before which is end of TOC...