Home Announcements 🎙

Early Registration Opportunity: 2016 Ironman Vineman 140.6

Team,

We have been offered the opportunity to register early for the new 2016 Ironman Vineman 140.6 event. Please use this form to enter your information. 

We will pass the list over to WTC and they'll be in touch with your next steps. 

Deadline: 12pm PST, Friday, October 30th

Comments

• Just to clarify is this also an EN lottery process?

• Posted By Paula Nystrom on 28 Oct 2015 01:18 PM

Just to clarify is this also an EN lottery process?

No, not a lottery. WTC hasn't, I don't think, placed a limit on how many people they'll accept via this early reg process. 

As long as I'm in this thread, these are my thoughts on '16 IMVM:

• The Russian River is narrow, shallow, and Vineman 70.3 has been a big race, and the only way they've been able to accommodate it is via wave starts. I've seen reports of the last wave starting 2hrs after the first wave. Not a huge deal for a 70.3 but a non-starter for a full IM.
    • The point to point logistics of Vineman 70.3 can be challenging, between registration, race morning, etc. Guerneville is a small town, roads are crowded in the summer, etc. I imagine a full would be even more challenging, with bike check-in the day before the race, then get all the way back to T2 to drop off run kit, shuttles from the finish to the swim start (it's not a short drive), etc
    • The finish, at a high school, isn't very IM-esque, in my opinion.

The net is that I think Vineman will be Vineman in name only. I'm reserving judgement, frankly, until they announce the course, etc. This being the first full IM in California in...14yrs...I'm planning to be at the race to do the 4k thing, support the team, etc, only 6 days after finishing IMLP. Yeehaw. And if the race is successful, I could see us making this a big part of the EN calendar for 2017.

But, for 2016, I just prefer to not be a beta tester for new races, especially one that has featured some logistical challenges for the HIM distance. 

• Ok, duly noted!  Thanks for the info. 

• Great points CoachR - I am still thinking about my 2017 season since I am out for 2016, and this one has peaked my interest however as you note, I want to see how the inaugural IM version of Vineman plays out.
  • Rich, Thanks for the info and background on vineman. I am wondering, what if any, an introduction of an 140.6 will have on the 70.3. Seems like the logistics of having both races at the same time will cause some problems. Currently I am planning on signing up for the 70.3 but now I am starting to debate if that is a good choice.
  • Hi Atif, FYI - Vineman 70.3 and full are on different dates.
  • I think they should move it so that you swim in one of the bigger lakes, like Berryessa. Everyone stays in Napa. Maybe like St. George years ago, they bus you to the swim start, you bike from the lake, end up in Napa and run up and down the Silverado Trail. There are a lot of epic places to hold the event. No way you can swim in the Russian River with 2500 people. Some places it's 2 feet deep. Before, as a small race, it was 2 loops I believe - can't do that anymore.
  • I like the course the way it is now.  However, I think the only way to handle a full IM is to go further down in the river so you can make it one loop.  There are 2500+ on the river for the 70.3 and it works fine with a wave start.  I think the biggest waves for the 70.3 are probably less than 200.  I signed up for the 70.3. I'll volunteer at the full and see how it goes.

• Did WTC send out emails already regarding this? I heard elsewhere that emails were supposed to be sent yesterday for early registration. Then I heard that IM was having a hard time with the early registration emails for this race for some reason, and that emails were going out later than planned, but it seems like a lot of people (in other clubs) have received the emails already. I haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if I'm the only one.
  • FYI: I ended up emailing the good folks at triclub@ironman.com with my info (club, name, email address) and they resent my link [I found info on their FB page saying to do so]. So if you haven't received your link to register early yet and are waiting, you may need to email them. They were very quick to respond.
  • Brenda has reached out to Karen directly about our lists and should be in touch later today