Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Anyone Have Experience With ZWIFT?

Hi Folks:

I am doing a "seminar" at my local bike shop about using a trainer in winter and different options for making it less boring and was wondering if anyone has used ZWIFT?  Pros?  Cons?  Comparison to Trainer Road?  Etc.

I will be testing it this week as well.  But wanted some others input/feedback as well.

Also, any other services like Trainer Road and ZWIFT you suggest I look at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Stark

P.S.  Yes, I will mention EN.  But attendees will be road-geeks, not tri-geeks.  

Comments

• Options

Thanks, Brotha!  Also looking for feedback EN users.

~Stark

• Options
    It's cool, but I prefer TR mostly due to the fact that there are EN workouts already in there (Swift just added a workout option) but also because I prefer to watch a movie, game, etc during my WKO vs. a virtual representation of me on a course
  • Options
    For solo rides I just watch TV or a movie. When others are in the room with me I have started to use PerfPro Studio to supplement the entertainment.
  • Options
    I use Zwift all the time in various ways. I am beta testing the inside ride rollers that has a resistance magnet with Ant+ communication to various software programs. If I ride Zwift in isolation, the magnet on the rollers changes to match the resistance slope that Zwift presents. Much like riding a kickr or computrainer, this combo gives a good sensation of terrain changes, and I'll just ride around trying to pass others, capture jerseys, or try to beat my PR's. It is a good program for ABP rides, and has some motivational trinkets to keep you riding. I like the way that it captures watts, gives a good representation of miles, and elevation, and auto uploads to Strava. There are competitive as well as social organized rides on Zwift, but I have not taken part in these. There is a strong and growing Zwift community, and some very interesting prospects for future development.

When I get serious and do intervals, I run trainer road at the same time minimized along the bottom. This way all my totals/mileage/elevation/watts is still captured in Zwift, but I am matching the intervals on Trainer Road. I have tried the workout mode in Zwift, but prefer TR for the visual layout, and volume/variety of workout options.

Of course, above this I have another TV going with ESPN/movies etc. There's a lot of multimedia in my pain cave…
  • Options
    I've done a few Zwift rides but so far haven't really found a lot of love for it. I haven't been able to join any of the group rides which do sound like those would be kinda fun(there was one with Jens, that would have been pretty cool).

I'm a big fan of the Sufferfest/TrainerRoad combo. I can usually find a SF workout that's really close to my EN workout for the day- and those videos are a lot more entertaining to me.
  • Options
    I used it during the beta testing phase. I felt like I didn't quite get what the point was, but maybe I was doing it wrong or it has changed since then. Like Jeremy said above, watching the virtual representation just wasn't my thing. I like paincave.com, $10/month for workouts that are half video spin class, half bike race footage. I tried trainerroad a little bit too, and along with TV would probably be my preferred option if I get bored with paincave. Happy winter riding!