Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Looking for Bike Commuting Tips from the Pros...

I am interested in doing some bike commuting this winter (no, I will not be buying a fat bike) and am looking for some pro tips.  Specifically around packing and types of gear needed (backpack or messenger bag?).

Some details:

-  Commute is only 6 miles, but there is a 1 hour tempo bike path loop (the long way) so I can take to get in extra work if I want.

-  My office has a shower and full locker room

-  Office dress is pretty casual at my place

- Streets are well lit, but thinking I need some kind of tail light so I don't get blasted from the back on the way home.

Does anyone recommend specific "commuter bike clothing"  like this, http://www.qorkit.com, or is it appropriate cycling kit with a change of clothes in the bag?

Links, etc, much appreciated! 

Comments

• Options
    Dino, back in the states I commuted 3 days a week to work on my road bike. I biked on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

I know there are other work horses here who do more. But for me - I kept it simple. During my commutes I rode with a small Novara backpack. I carried my laptop (and some small paperwork) along with wallet and keys.

I wanted to be light and fast; so that meant I drove to work on Monday and dropped off all the work clothes I would need for the days I commuted via road bike. Friday I would drive and bring all my clothes home. Simply start over again next week.

Obviously having an office helped a lot. But to me with you being so close to home - you can work something out.
  • Options
    For lighting there is only one option...DiNotte. Actually I use their Quad Red on my tri bike for training.

In terms of special clothing, for the length of your commute (short) I wouldn't worry too much. I'd also suggest that unless it is super-hot, if you have a shower with anti-bacterial soap BEFORE you leave the house, a shower upon arrival to work likely won't be necessary. Reducing all the friction (shower at work, multiple changes of clothing, special gear, etc) is key to making the commute sustainable over time.

I realize you don't get a lot of rain in SoCal but have a garbage bag for wrap around your briefcase in case of inclement weather.
  • Options
    I have done a few times and am about to start up again.
    I have a great jacket that castelli doesn't make anymore, different weight gloves, a beanie under my helmet and either shell pants for warmer days or thermal tights/bibs for colder days.
    as for lighting. the front light is not just for you to see, it is for you to be seen. After i saw a friend plow head first into a van that turned in front of him last year because we were unseen in shadows on a sunny day, i NEVER ride ANY ride on roads without a front light (think like a motorcycle here)

not sure what others do, i go with a small backpack, and no fatbike here, I use my 29er..
  • Options

Dino, you may remember I commuted via bike 10 miles each way from 1997-2010 3 days a week. FWIW, here's what I did:

• Ride Clothing: my regular bike kit. You already have it, it's designed for the job: sleek, light weight, often High -Vis, and sweat wicking. I did use MTB pedals so I could walk more easily from bike to office, etc. And I used "commuter" pedals, which are two sided, so I could ride during the middle of the day in my "street" clothes/shoes if I needed to during the day, from the office to the hospital.
    • Bike: I used a steel road bike with a slightly longer wheelbase (longer chain stays) designed for touring.  From your stable of 27 bikes, a cross bike would work great. 23mm 700c tires. I eventually found that having resilient tires was more important than low rolling resistance; Schwalbe was my brand of choice. Now, their "One" model would be my choice. Don't forget tube repair stuff is essential!
    • Visibility: apart from clothing, geeky neon yellow jackets, reflectors and/or flashers at the ankles were useful. Also, note that the majority of car/bike accidents occur from someone turning IN FRONT on you, so having a powerful front flashing LED is mandatory, IMO. Nite-Rider 500 can be seen for half a mile, and is almost blinding. Also a good idea if you're riding early or late. I had commuting sunglasses - with clear and yellow lenses as well as dark (don't forget the fog!) with a little mirror stuck on the inside of the left lens so I could see behind me, and I wouldn't be THAT guy with a mirror stuck on my helmet. Now I use a small mirror stuck in the left bar end as well.
    • Hygiene: I agree with Matt. I NEVER showered at work. I ALWAYS took a shower before leaving, slapped on some deodorant, and never heard a peep from colleagues who would've told me if I needed some Axe. A brush up to my hair and a towel for wiping off worked wonders. Odor seems to end up in the clothes, not on the skin.
    • Work clothes: I carried underwear and socks (although towards the end, I simply biked in thin work socks) each day, and left a full panoply of pants, shirts, and (for me) ties and sports coats in a small IKEA closet I left in my office. At 2 other locales, I had a locker where I also kept a few things. Don't forget you'll need shoes!!!
    • Bag: I found a rear carrier worked better for me than a back pack or a mess. bag. Let me ride more as I'm normally accustomed to. At first, I used a single pannier in the rear, lined to keep things dry. Towards the end, I found a little number from REI, which I still use "commuting to the pool or running track. Blackburn seems to make three sizes of it: http://www.rei.com/product/710472/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-exp-with-zip-down-panniers.
    • Rain: there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Shoe covers, water resistant pants (Gore tex is not enough in a downpour for an hour biking at 20 mph), neoprene gloves, as many jackets as you have bikes - I had it all, but then, I live up here where it actually rains. But then, El Nino ...
    • I would sometimes ride extra miles and look for opportunities to do a little work on the bike, but I never treated commuting as part of my training; it was more like going to the gym or eating well, something which provided a little bonus.

Hmm ... writing all this, I miss those days a bit, even today, when it has been raining pretty much non-stop for over 100 hours on days when the sun rises @ 0730 and sets @ 1645. How did I ever do that?

• Options
    Thanks for the thread and good posts.

I'm trying to bike commute, too. Can't bike everyday due to logistics of multiple workplaces but I'm trying to get 2-3 days per week. At least for the next several months. So far, so good.

29er. Heavy backpack with basic swimwear (2 workplaces have a Lifetime on route), light change of clothes to go under scrubs at work, light lunch (this will def pay off!), deodorant, and badges.

Lit up. 2 lights on the bars, one has a spread beam and one is center focus like a head light. Both as very small and lightweight. Rear is protected by great blinker, too. I'll get the brands when I get home. I, also, throw a smaller blinking runners light on the back of my backpack with has a reflective neon wrist/ankle strap woven throw the see thru helmet hiding pocket on the back of the bag.

• Options
    You could also run to work!

I bring a change of clothes the day before and I do shower at work. I also leave my laptop and everything at work the day before I commute so I don't need to bring anything. I take my ID, credit card, and some cash out of my wallet and bring it in a zip-lock with my phone. I don't have a wallet on commute days. I have screwed up several times and gotten to work without shoes, key-card, and towel all on different occasions. Maybe a check list would be good.
  • Options
    Hi Dino,

I’ve been commuting by bike for over 20 years. For most of that time it was a really short ride but in May I almost double my commute distance and I like it.

5X on the headlight. If it’s good enough for a motorcycle it’s good enough for me. I have two headlights, one solid and the other flashing. I keep the flasher on day or night. I use a Knog Blinder Road R70 for a tail light. http://usd.knog.com.au/bike/lights/hi-power-bike-lights/blinder-road-r70.html

Dress as high viz as possible and then assume you’re invisible and no one sees you and ride accordingly.

I use a Showers Pass Elite jacket. It’s over 8 years old and still water proof. I’ve gone on 4 hour training rides with it in the pouring rain and stayed dry. It’s pretty great. https://www.showerspass.com/products/mens-elite-21-jacket However, I also have vests and a light PI jacket for when it’s not raining. (Okay, that’s rare around here.) I also have rain pants, Goretex socks, various gloves, and hats. Your mileage will vary based on where you live. (Yes I do envy your climate at times.) Like Al I use MTB pedals and shoes. I have a clip on platform on one side of the pedal so I don’t have to wear my bike shoes for short rides.

Since my commute is short I usually just wear shorts or fleece pants if it’s cold. If I were to have a longer ride I’d just ride in my bike clothes. I do keep clothes and shoes at work to change in to. Usually no shower at work unless I go for a run at lunch or go for a longer ride on the way into work.

I use a backpack, but I have used panniers and a messenger bag in the past. I still use panniers if I have something extra to bring to work.

My commuter bike is a Trek Portland, but I was considering a cross bike as well when I bought this one. I like the disc brakes for our weather.

I think that about covers it.
  • Options
    Light, lights and more lights! I recommend at least two blinkies on back, one white blinking light on the bars, and then, if you ever ride at night, a helmet mounted light. I prefer the blinking headlight to make sure you are visible, but the helmet mount to provide light to ride by given that it shines where you look (when you look at a car to make sure they see you, they can't miss the light shining right at them). I have a couple of lights by Exposure (http://www.ibexsports.com/?gclid=CPj-lZiDmMkCFYw7gQodLpQHyA). I like the fact that they do not have external batteries (i.e., no cord).

Regarding logistics, I switched between a messenger bag that had a ton of reflective material on it by Timbuk2 (http://blog.timbuk2.com/2011/04/05/hi-vis-reflective-bags/ - but I don't think they make it anymore) and using a backpack. Although I liked the way the backpack fit better than a messenger bag shifting around, the backpack was not good on hot, humid summer DC days. Regardless, I always had a red blinkie clipped on the back (and a flat repair kit inside).

I always showered after riding (about a 14 mile ride). I typically carried my clothes and shower gear, but sometimes would stock my office with clothes and simply throw a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops in my bag to get me from the shower to my office. Like Peter points out above, I had times where I forgot shoes, socks or a belt, so I tried to leave some extra stuff in my office just in case.

Regarding ride clothing, I rode in bike gear, always. My ride was long enough that it made a difference comfort wise plus bike clothing is something I had plenty of for all weather conditions.

Fire away if you have any questions.
  • Options

Posted By David Walters on 17 Nov 2015 05:35 AM

Dino, back in the states I commuted 3 days a week to work on my road bike. I biked on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

I know there are other work horses here who do more. But for me - I kept it simple. During my commutes I rode with a small Novara backpack. I carried my laptop (and some small paperwork) along with wallet and keys.

I wanted to be light and fast; so that meant I drove to work on Monday and dropped off all the work clothes I would need for the days I commuted via road bike. Friday I would drive and bring all my clothes home. Simply start over again next week.

Obviously having an office helped a lot. But to me with you being so close to home - you can work something out.

Good tip!  I had not considered this.  I like I wouldn't need anything.  I could stage my laptop at the office as well and just my desktop at home needed.

This would require some longer term planning on part....

• Options

Posted By Matt Aaronson on 17 Nov 2015 07:25 AM

For lighting there is only one option...DiNotte. Actually I use their Quad Red on my tri bike for training.

In terms of special clothing, for the length of your commute (short) I wouldn't worry too much. I'd also suggest that unless it is super-hot, if you have a shower with anti-bacterial soap BEFORE you leave the house, a shower upon arrival to work likely won't be necessary. Reducing all the friction (shower at work, multiple changes of clothing, special gear, etc) is key to making the commute sustainable over time.

I realize you don't get a lot of rain in SoCal but have a garbage bag for wrap around your briefcase in case of inclement weather.

I have some success with body wipes too.  It's like and over grown wet wipe for the informed or I guess super fit at work too.  If I go straight to the office, much of the ride is downhill.  

I don't think I would use my nice bag on my bike.  Too heavy and too much worry.  Likely need dedicated kit here, but I like the garbage bag better than the rain cover Rapha sells with their "commuter bag".

• Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 17 Nov 2015 09:30 AM

Dino, you may remember I commuted via bike 10 miles each way from 1997-2010 3 days a week. FWIW, here's what I did:

• Ride Clothing: my regular bike kit. You already have it, it's designed for the job: sleek, light weight, often High -Vis, and sweat wicking. I did use MTB pedals so I could walk more easily from bike to office, etc. And I used "commuter" pedals, which are two sided, so I could ride during the middle of the day in my "street" clothes/shoes if I needed to during the day, from the office to the hospital.
    • Bike: I used a steel road bike with a slightly longer wheelbase (longer chain stays) designed for touring.  From your stable of 27 bikes, a cross bike would work great. 23mm 700c tires. I eventually found that having resilient tires was more important than low rolling resistance; Schwalbe was my brand of choice. Now, their "One" model would be my choice. Don't forget tube repair stuff is essential!
    • Visibility: apart from clothing, geeky neon yellow jackets, reflectors and/or flashers at the ankles were useful. Also, note that the majority of car/bike accidents occur from someone turning IN FRONT on you, so having a powerful front flashing LED is mandatory, IMO. Nite-Rider 500 can be seen for half a mile, and is almost blinding. Also a good idea if you're riding early or late. I had commuting sunglasses - with clear and yellow lenses as well as dark (don't forget the fog!) with a little mirror stuck on the inside of the left lens so I could see behind me, and I wouldn't be THAT guy with a mirror stuck on my helmet. Now I use a small mirror stuck in the left bar end as well.
    • Hygiene: I agree with Matt. I NEVER showered at work. I ALWAYS took a shower before leaving, slapped on some deodorant, and never heard a peep from colleagues who would've told me if I needed some Axe. A brush up to my hair and a towel for wiping off worked wonders. Odor seems to end up in the clothes, not on the skin.
    • Work clothes: I carried underwear and socks (although towards the end, I simply biked in thin work socks) each day, and left a full panoply of pants, shirts, and (for me) ties and sports coats in a small IKEA closet I left in my office. At 2 other locales, I had a locker where I also kept a few things. Don't forget you'll need shoes!!!
    • Bag: I found a rear carrier worked better for me than a back pack or a mess. bag. Let me ride more as I'm normally accustomed to. At first, I used a single pannier in the rear, lined to keep things dry. Towards the end, I found a little number from REI, which I still use "commuting to the pool or running track. Blackburn seems to make three sizes of it: http://www.rei.com/product/710472/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-exp-with-zip-down-panniers.
    • Rain: there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Shoe covers, water resistant pants (Gore tex is not enough in a downpour for an hour biking at 20 mph), neoprene gloves, as many jackets as you have bikes - I had it all, but then, I live up here where it actually rains. But then, El Nino ...
    • I would sometimes ride extra miles and look for opportunities to do a little work on the bike, but I never treated commuting as part of my training; it was more like going to the gym or eating well, something which provided a little bonus.

Hmm ... writing all this, I miss those days a bit, even today, when it has been raining pretty much non-stop for over 100 hours on days when the sun rises @ 0730 and sets @ 1645. How did I ever do that?

Thanks, Al!!!!  You are a Wiz.  There are a lot of good nuggets here.  I was thinking about using an early 90's steel Colnago for the chore fitted with my Vector pedals.  I like the idea of panniers.  That could fix a bunch of things.

I hear you on committing being about transport and WKO.  I was thinking it would juts give me another 300-400 calories burned per day, BUT, if I took the bike path route (which is triple the distance) there are two places where I normally fit in a 2x20 minute set.  Could double dip in pinch...

Thanks again for the gems!

• Options

Posted By Chris Hardbeck on 17 Nov 2015 10:20 AM

Thanks for the thread and good posts.

I'm trying to bike commute, too. Can't bike everyday due to logistics of multiple workplaces but I'm trying to get 2-3 days per week. At least for the next several months. So far, so good.

29er. Heavy backpack with basic swimwear (2 workplaces have a Lifetime on route), light change of clothes to go under scrubs at work, light lunch (this will def pay off!), deodorant, and badges.

Lit up. 2 lights on the bars, one has a spread beam and one is center focus like a head light. Both as very small and lightweight. Rear is protected by great blinker, too. I'll get the brands when I get home. I, also, throw a smaller blinking runners light on the back of my backpack with has a reflective neon wrist/ankle strap woven throw the see thru helmet hiding pocket on the back of the bag.

I could ride my 29er.  It's a hard tail, but it's set up for climbing. I run 1x11 and the front chain ring would drive me nuts....

• Options

Posted By Peter Noyes on 17 Nov 2015 10:30 AM

I bring a change of clothes the day before and I do shower at work. I also leave my laptop and everything at work the day before I commute so I don't need to bring anything. I take my ID, credit card, and some cash out of my wallet and bring it in a zip-lock with my phone. I don't have a wallet on commute days. I have screwed up several times and gotten to work without shoes, key-card, and towel all on different occasions. Maybe a check list would be good.

Peter, you are reading my mind.  My one-way is 6 miles.  My thinking was later in the season I could run there and then run home.  That would break up a middle distance run pretty well, Or, I do 6 miles in the AM and then take the long way home and 10 miles or so.  I would need to pre-plan.  I just can't run with more than a fuel built and phone.  I bought an ultra vest.  Once I try it, I may change my mind.  image

• Options

Posted By Mark Maurer on 17 Nov 2015 11:12 AM

Hi Dino,

I’ve been commuting by bike for over 20 years. For most of that time it was a really short ride but in May I almost double my commute distance and I like it.

5X on the headlight. If it’s good enough for a motorcycle it’s good enough for me. I have two headlights, one solid and the other flashing. I keep the flasher on day or night. I use a Knog Blinder Road R70 for a tail light. http://usd.knog.com.au/bike/lights/hi-power-bike-lights/blinder-road-r70.html

Dress as high viz as possible and then assume you’re invisible and no one sees you and ride accordingly.

I use a Showers Pass Elite jacket. It’s over 8 years old and still water proof. I’ve gone on 4 hour training rides with it in the pouring rain and stayed dry. It’s pretty great. https://www.showerspass.com/products/mens-elite-21-jacket However, I also have vests and a light PI jacket for when it’s not raining. (Okay, that’s rare around here.) I also have rain pants, Goretex socks, various gloves, and hats. Your mileage will vary based on where you live. (Yes I do envy your climate at times.) Like Al I use MTB pedals and shoes. I have a clip on platform on one side of the pedal so I don’t have to wear my bike shoes for short rides.

Since my commute is short I usually just wear shorts or fleece pants if it’s cold. If I were to have a longer ride I’d just ride in my bike clothes. I do keep clothes and shoes at work to change in to. Usually no shower at work unless I go for a run at lunch or go for a longer ride on the way into work.

I use a backpack, but I have used panniers and a messenger bag in the past. I still use panniers if I have something extra to bring to work.

My commuter bike is a Trek Portland, but I was considering a cross bike as well when I bought this one. I like the disc brakes for our weather.

I think that about covers it.

Good stuff, Mark!  Thanks!

• Options

Posted By John Henault on 17 Nov 2015 12:18 PM

Light, lights and more lights! I recommend at least two blinkies on back, one white blinking light on the bars, and then, if you ever ride at night, a helmet mounted light. I prefer the blinking headlight to make sure you are visible, but the helmet mount to provide light to ride by given that it shines where you look (when you look at a car to make sure they see you, they can't miss the light shining right at them). I have a couple of lights by Exposure (http://www.ibexsports.com/?gclid=CPj-lZiDmMkCFYw7gQodLpQHyA). I like the fact that they do not have external batteries (i.e., no cord).

Regarding logistics, I switched between a messenger bag that had a ton of reflective material on it by Timbuk2 (http://blog.timbuk2.com/2011/04/05/hi-vis-reflective-bags/ - but I don't think they make it anymore) and using a backpack. Although I liked the way the backpack fit better than a messenger bag shifting around, the backpack was not good on hot, humid summer DC days. Regardless, I always had a red blinkie clipped on the back (and a flat repair kit inside).

I always showered after riding (about a 14 mile ride). I typically carried my clothes and shower gear, but sometimes would stock my office with clothes and simply throw a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops in my bag to get me from the shower to my office. Like Peter points out above, I had times where I forgot shoes, socks or a belt, so I tried to leave some extra stuff in my office just in case.

Regarding ride clothing, I rode in bike gear, always. My ride was long enough that it made a difference comfort wise plus bike clothing is something I had plenty of for all weather conditions.

Fire away if you have any questions.

Strong, John.  Thanks!

Thanks to everyone.  I think I now need to craft an strategy or broad approach and then build some kind of list.  I will keep ya posted!

• Options

Posted By Dino Sarti on 17 Nov 2015 09:42 PM

Posted By Peter Noyes on 17 Nov 2015 10:30 AM

Peter, you are reading my mind.  My one-way is 6 miles.  My thinking was later in the season I could run there and then run home.  That would break up a middle distance run pretty well, Or, I do 6 miles in the AM and then take the long way home and 10 miles or so.  I would need to pre-plan.  I just can't run with more than a fuel built and phone.  I bought an ultra vest.  Once I try it, I may change my mind.  

On occasion, I would drive in/run home/run in next AM/Drive back. 

• Options
    I think everything you asked for has been covered here Dino. I have been bike commuting to work since 1994(10 km) in the balmy northern hemisphere so I wear snow mitts and ski googles which I believe you don't need. At my workplace we have a bike lock up with ID slide lock key to house our bikes. The beauty of this for me is,I ride bike in am, run home, run back in am, ride bike home. Very time efficient in getting training in with limited time.The only thing I will mention is I carry bus tickets in case on a run or whatever that I get hurt ,i.e. pull up lame on a run, I have an out to get home which has happened. Happy commuting  !
  • Options
    ....is it too soon to make a joke about Steve needing that handy dandy bus ticket at a recent race in Tenn? :0

Kidding, hope you're feeling a little better and recovering well, Mr. Ross!
  • Options
    Steve must feeling better. I saw him on Facebook sporting a fashion beard and top knot. image
  • Options
    As you know, in a past life I worked at Rainbird on Sierra Madre, 6.2 miles from my house. I often did what Steve described: ride to work, run home, run to work, ride home. I think I drove to work on Monday to stage all my clothes in my office, left the car there and drove it home on Friday.

But the entire real-job experience is a suppressed memory for me so I could wrong...

• Options
    Ditto all above. I drive in on Monday, ride ten miles back and forth all week and then drive home Friday. I keep clothes at work. Shower before I leave home and wear cycling kit. Baby wipes at work, just in case. I leave my hair wet and put it up at work. I use a back pack and fit my work and food in there. Strong headlight on the bike, flashing white light on front of helmet and flashing red light on back. Super bright red tail light. Reflective belt on backpack and reflective tape on my bike. And puncture resistant tires. I actually left the bike paths and use the road now and that has solved most of my puncture problems. Keep a trash bag in backpack to cover it in case of rain.
  • Options
    Just found this thread - and I laughed out loud - very loudly, I might add, at Al's comment re: a stable of 27 bikes! :-)
  • Options
    @Dino, just for you dude. First week back to work. Bused to work, after work ran to pool 2 miles, swam for an hour, ran to Brenda's work place. In all a 10 k run. But I know you don't get these temps it was sub 0, No excuses Dino  !