Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Best Snow Hiking/Walking/Running Shoe Attachments (Yaktrax?)

Hi Folks:

We are moving to Bend, Oregon and we will be getting snow, ice, etc. on the ground.  Being that I have never lived in a place that gets snow, what if the best shoe attachment for:

- Running

- Walking

- Hiking

in these conditions?  Yaktrax?

Any help is appreciated.

~Stark

Comments

• Options
    Yaktrax are decent for hiking in the snow. If it's icy, you might need micospikes. I've never tried running with the Yaktrax. Sometimes they roll on step downhills, so not sure I'd feel comfortable running with them.

For running and hiking in light snow and/or mud, I like the Salomon Speedcross. It has massive treads that provide plenty of traction. I've even been able to hike in these when my buddies put on their microspikes for icy conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB4V7C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • Options
    I've used Yaktrax for walking and they work well for that. I did run on them once but I really didn't like it. They moved around a lot. We were in Anchorage last week and it was really icy on the trails and I saw people walking and running in studded shoes. My daughter has a pair and likes them. Sorry but I don't know the brand. She got them at Sierra trading post.
  • Options
    I use to use Yaktrak a lot for running. My main complaint was that I'd get hot spots of pressure from them, but nothing so horrible I didn't use them. They are also annoying if you have areas that you need them on and then well plowed areas, because running in them over NO ice/snow is not fun.

• Options
    to me, it depends on where/ what you are running on. Last year was a pretty significant snow year here in the Northern burbs of NY. I did 95% of my running outdoors, including early mornings in Vermont. I find that during a snow storm, it is what it is, and after the snow storm, the roads are usually packed snow, some icy spots & lots of clear stuff from salt/ plowing.

I generally wear smart wool socks & my hokas and have at it... Never felt the need for anything..

when can i visit?? !
  • Options
    So with the caveat that I haven't neeeded to use this gear in 2 years (it doesn't snow/ice in sfo image ) . So there might be different options now.

When I was living in CT and hiking a lot in the adirondacks and north-east in snow I prefered microspikes. They are great in snow and ice conditions. For most winter hikes I used start off in microspikes . And then when we were getting to different snow conditions would either go for snowshoes or crampons if it was really icy.

I found yaktrax a good medium snow accessory but it rarely got used when I had microspikes. It never worked for me during a run because I used to either roll my foot, or get hotspots where I landed. For running I would really recommend a great pair of studded trail running shoes . Salmon makes a good pair , I think the newer ones are called snowcross.
    Another option which I know few friends tried , and swear by it. Is taking a pair of good trail running shoes . And screwing in studs. You can goole how to do that -- since I never tried it myself.

p.s I still have a couple of pair of microspikes in storage if you want to try them.