Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Barbara Feinstein's Micro Thread

Hi Coach Patrick, Based on our conversation yesterday where we discussed using the winter months to really work on my biking, I was surprised to see that I only have 1 bike session per week in the schedule for the first 4 weeks. The majority of the days are dedicated to running. Given that the run is my strongest discipline and I try not to run daily due to an inoperable torn medial meniscus, I'd really like to replace some of those runs with biking. But, I don't want to overdo it. Can you suggest the best way to modify the workouts for the next 4 weeks? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Barb, thanks for hitting me in the Micro. I believe i answered you in the Chat module re: really getting into the bike with the OS. I absolutely want to protect that knee, so I am all about the activity selection being minimalist on the run.

Out of curiosity, is run frequency an option. IOW, can you run 2 miles several times a week? What's the limiter -- total running or just running consecutively. Thanks for helping me understand!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Yes, you addressed my questions. I am adding a swim to Mondays and changing Wednesday run for a bike ride.

Here's where I'm at with my knee: There's a medial meniscus tear in my left knee that has been through surgery twice, leaving me with a little piece holding the meniscus together. I have been able to run with an custom unloader brace on average every other day, building mileage up to being competitive in a half marathon, including running hills.

For the first time in a few years, I am trying to run without the brace. It slows me down in transition and sometimes slips down while running (and racing), causing me to have to pause my run to adjust it back into place. So, given that my knee has felt pretty good when running with the brace and only sometimes hurting afterward, I decided to try to ditch the brace during the off season and see how that works. So far, so good. I even ran the B-A-A workout today, covering 9 miles, brace free, without my knee giving out (which it had been doing a few years ago) or hurting (even now in the evening). So, I am hopeful with some careful building, I can run without the brace. 

That being said, I don't know if I can run less mileage on concurrent days or if I need to keep it to every other day at the most. I also try to run on a treadmill sometimes (especially in bad weather) to protect it from some of the pounding or slipping on wet roads. So, without the brace I am still figuring out what my knee can handle without setting myself back.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you have regarding how to best handle this trial transition out of the knee brace.

• Options
    Barb -- GOT IT. I didn't know about your "transition" work out of the brace, so that makes things a lot clearer. To be 100% -- don't let me come between you and your knee. You know best there, and I defer to you. In my mind, a transition would imply setting a goal, such as "25% of my run miles this week brace-free" then next week would be "30%", etc..until you got to a happy place.

I don't know if 100% brace-free is a legitimate goal given how much you need to protect it, but you can let me know what that desired end-state is.

So in my mind, the shorter, more frequent running is the way to go OVERALL, but maybe not exactly for you. After a 9 mile run you should have a rest day. But could you do Tues / Wed / Thu as Tue/Thu shorter runs in the 30 to 4-0 minute range with a brace, and the Wed run a bit longer no brace?

With Mon/Fri off from running, I think we can work things out.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    I am all for trying your plan of running. I really enjoy running and just have to be mindful of not making the shorter runs into longer runs as I am apt to do (just because once I get going I feel good and want to keep going). At the current paces, I have been doing all my runs without the brace and have been fine. So, I'd like to keep running without the brace unless I run into trouble (giving out or pain).

Personally, I am wondering why I should put so much time into the run (which is my strongest discipline) and only 1 ride per week, when I feel as that is the area that I have a good deal of potential for improvement. Since I haven't done as well as I'd like on my own or with other programs, I am willing to trust your process. I'd just like to understand the reasoning behind this format.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Barb, no worries. I just did a 75' webinar on it (you can find it on the Master OutSeason Page under Training Plan, Training Plan Resources, Master OutSeason page (http://bit.ly/1MQmTM9)...there you will find more info on Run Durability.

This is the "get started program" for your year...by the time you read this you will be about to start the OutSeason® which has three quality bike workouts a week for 14 weeks...the real meat of cycling. I don't have you doing lots of cycling before...drumroll...lots of cycling...as history has shown that just doesn't work. image

Thanks for trusting the process. We update our plans EVERY year; it's an exhausting but rewarding process...and something that sets EN heads and shoulders above the competition. Most coaches might add a new workout a season...and that's off of some article they read in a magazine...we revamp 50 plans based on our athlete feedback and our own training and racing! image

You are in good hands, I promise!
  • Options
    Is it ok to move the long weekend rides to during the week? I have more free time during the week than on the weekends and I plan on racing some weekends so I don't want to miss the long rides. Also, do the long weekend rides have to be back to back, even if moved to during the week? My plan at this time has 2 1/2 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday. Is it more important to do the rides back to back or is it okay to split them with a different training day between them?
  • Options
    Barbara, you can totally do them during the week...it's just that most people can't, hence where they are.

You can map out a week that works for you and I can adjust, just put it here in this thread.

Know that one popular "week" option is to move everything forward a day. So your Sat Ride is on Friday, for example. That leaves the Sunday ride (now on Sat) and Monday is a swim day (I usually swim only that day, depending how I feel).
  • Options
    Hi Coach,

I need some help restructuring next week. On Saturday (5/21) I am competing in a Sprint Tri (1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike, 4 mile run). Last year I was 4th in my age group, so I'd love to improve that and place at least 3rd.

I'll be on Week 4 of my plan which has swim only Monday, 1 hour run with 2 x 1 mile, 2 x 1/2 mile on Tuesday, Wednesday Swim and 1:15 FTP bike, Thursday 1:15 Negative Split Run, Friday Swim & Z1 Run, Saturday Ride 2:30, Run 35 min. Z2, Sunday Ride 1:30 Z3, 1:10 Tempo Run.

I am finishing this week with a run tomorrow and 2 hour ride Sunday.

I'm thinking that I could move Tuesday's run (2 x 1 mi, 2 x 1/2 mi.) to Monday, do the 2:30 ride and 35 min. Z2 Run Tuesday, 1:15 Negative split run on Thursday, Swim and Z1 run on Friday (maybe shorten it to 30 minutes), race Saturday, and leave Sunday as planned, modifying if needed depending on how I feel after racing. I'm not sure what I should do on Wednesday. Does this make sense and set me up to have a potentially good race on Saturday?

I know I tend to overdo it, and don't want to make that mistake. But I want to make sure to get in the important workouts even when I'm racing.

Please help me figure this out and hopefully this will help me plan when I have other races as the season progresses.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Barbara
  • Options
    Barb, a great race is a boost to your confidence, which is often greater than a good training week. I say...

Tuesday = 2:30 ride and Run
    Wed = Swim (if possible, or whatever you have planned)
    Thurs = 60' Split Run (skip the last 15')
    Friday = Swim Only, and in AM. If you can't do it in the the AM, then take it off and plan on a better race.

Have fun and send some pictures please!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I like your suggestions and plan on implementing them. I can swim Wednesday and Friday mornings.

Barbara
  • Options
    Barb, great! Have a fantastic race...please post any pictures if you can!!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Forecast call for 100% chance of rain and temps in 50s. Given that it has been so chilly in NJ I'm trying to decide whether I should switch to the duathlon rather than dealing with a high probability of cold water and being chilled on the bike and run (I get chilled very easily, especially my hands and feet). I don't usually bail in the rain, but this cold weather has me questioning whether or not it's smart to take chances this early in my season.
  • Options
    Barb, where is your race? Best of luck!
  • Options
    Carol, I'm racing the DQ Jersey Genesis Sprint in Port Republic. I just checked the weather and there's a chance the rain may hold out and it may even be a little warmer than originally predicted. I am prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
  • Options

The race went really well - I hit both of my goals - beat last year's time by over 2 minutes, was the 6th woman overall and 1st in my age group.

Compared to last year: my swim (which is my weakest link) was 33 seconds faster, bike was 21 seconds faster, and run 41 seconds faster. Not bad for a year older and the oldest in the 45-49 age group.

I have pictures, but not sure where to post them.

• Options
    Barb, that's amazing!!! You can create a new thread in the Race Report Forum, and use the paper clip icon to insert them. OR you can post one to the dashboard with a quick note!
  • Options
    Hi Coach Patrick,

I need some guidance on how to handle the next few weeks. I raced last weekend completing the double at the NJ State Tri - Sprint on Saturday (1st in AG, 6th woman), Olympic on Sunday (19.3 mile bike - short for Olympic) - 6th in AG, 38th woman. I was really pleased with my fitness, handling the heat and humidity and handling the double race. I tapered for the double using the last week of the Intermediate Short Course Plan - worked perfectly. Nationals is important to me since I have a chance to qualify for Worlds in the Sprint (maybe).

The HIM is important to me, but more for me to have a good race all the way through the run (which has been my downfall in the past), not necessarily to race it to try to place.

I'm now back to the Intermediate Half Ironman plan ending 9/18 with the Atlantic City 70.3 (starting week 14 on Monday).

Here's the wrinkle...I'm headed to Omaha, NE on 8/11 to race another double (Sprint Saturday, Olympic Sunday), traveling home Sunday night and then the following weekend, my husband asked me to join him in a 100K bike ride to celebrate his 50th Birthday (I couldn't say no since he supports me in all my tri craziness). I raced the double in NJ as a practice run for Nationals.

My plan is to use the same taper plan that I did for NJ and then go back to the HIM Plan. I was able to get right back on plan on Monday following the NJ double and anticipate the same for Nationals.

But, I am missing the First HIM Race Rehearsal, which would be the weekend of Nationals and I can't do it the following weekend. Should I do it earlier in the week, after Nationals, before going to the 100K bike ride? Do I skip it?

My training is going really well! My fitness is great. I'm well-rested (not working and having a teen who drives helps with that) and I'm able to follow the training plan almost perfectly. I ran a combined total of 14 miles on Thursday for the double run day in high heat and humidity and felt really good on Friday.

I'm looking for guidance on how to handle the first Race Rehearsal and whether other modifications should be made to my training plan based on Nationals and the 100k bike ride. I watched the week 13 and week 14 videos, but didn't find any info to help with this dilemma.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Barbara
  • Options
    Barb -

Incredible! That's some great racing and I love how you lined up the year to prepare yourself for nationals. The idea of doing another double weekend sounds great. And the bike ride with your husband is pretty cool. Most people don't spend that much time with her husband at all! :-)

The whole point of the race rehearsal is to make sure that you are ready to handle their pacing and nutritional guidance that we want in place for the race. It means actually drawing up a plan and then attempting to do it. When the problems arise from that first attempt we then adjust.

In your case, I think your attention to detail and race experience negates the need to do that. In many ways, those two rides and race day end up being the easiest rides of the year for you. If the logistics that get people, but I think you are above that.

So here's what I think you should do:

+ Do your double race following the plan just as before. Continue to be ready for the heat. If you think you need to rest more in the week leading up to nationals, just do it. Your race will thank you, particularly the last 15 minutes!
    + I would rest the day after this double as we are later in the year and the fatigue/travel will get to you.
    + Get back on the half plan but put in your husband's ride instead of the normal Saturday ride.
    + Once you're through that weekend it's back to the regular plan.

Framing the half Ironman around having a great run is critical. I like the way you're doing it by focusing on the steady stuff. Your Heart Rate will be your friend...so review and find that "off the bike / steady long run" HR so you can tap in to that on race day!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. It all makes sense and works for me. I'll let you know how Nationals go when I return.

Barbara
  • Options
    I have a post race follow-up call scheduled for Tuesday 9/27. As requested, I emailed my race report to you (Coach Patrick). But the automated return email indicated you may not see that and so I'm posting here to let you know to check your emails for that race report. Looking forward to your insight!
  • Options
    Barb, no worries....looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Barb -

Great to chat with you today. I am bummed about your experience at Atlantic City, but I have very high hopes for the future. As I mentioned on the call, I think part of your success will be around reframing your understanding of what "Racing" is in a long course triathlon when running. In your case I think a 9:00 mile pace target / “Run @ Bike HR” target for first three miles will be critical.

In addition, improving your bike fitness will also unlock some of that run speed. So we have some work to do now over the winter on the bike, and plenty of racing before your big half next year to be ready to pace the run properly.

In addition to the ^above^, I'd like you to keep some of that bike volume that we mentioned. Something like May (1 day) and perhaps once again in June (back-to-back days?) will be nice. Totally up to you. But don't be afraid to go far on the bike!

With Age Group Nationals in August, and NC 70.3 in October, you have time early in your year to stack up some good training and short course racing. Remember we want to lock down an early season half..my thoughts are Run Durability now through January OutSeason® start. What do you think?
  • Options
    Thanks for the talk and thoughts on how to proceed for next year. I agree that I have work to do on the bike, but feel pretty good about my run, although I will need to "learn" how to run slower for the 70.3, but that's so far away.

Since my run is my strength, why do you recommend Run Durability until January and then starting Outseason in January? Where does the bike work come in? I also need to work on my swim. It definitely improved this year after using the EN drills, but I'm still playing catch-up on the bike.

I will definitely be biking until the end of October since I have my JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes Century Ride on 10/29. I'm thinking about running a 15K hilly race the weekend before Thanksgiving and probably half marathons in February and April (I did all of these last year too).

So, I want to know how to make the best and smartest use of my time to improve my swim and bike, while maintaining my strength in the run without overdoing it so I am ready for my short course season to start next May. I need some guidance in what plans to start with or what I should be asking Coach Rich for.

I know you're busy in Kona, so I will be patiently awaiting your response.

I hope all goes well in Kona!
  • Options
    Barb, thanks for the note!

I agree bike now through the JDRF ride. You can ride more, and get stronger, but it won't last 9 months. We have a 6 month protocol (OutSeason + Bike Focus + InSeason) that will really build you up. Anything more than those six months and you are likely to under achieve in that period.

IOW, you have to wait for it. The Run Durability work is what helps you set the run tone for the next year...and it would be good for you to get "used to" running more at TRP pace vs your default "I am a fast runner pace" that makes long course challenging.

The Macro Plan work is Coach Rich, but I think that you will be fine with a November OS start (10/31) rolling into your Half Marathon in Feb....at least until Coach Rich gets back to you on the Micro.

This month is Run Durability work with a tempo ride for the midweek run (Wed) and an aerobic ride (2-4 hours) on the weekend. Since you aren't training you can certainly go ride new places (hills!) and challenge yourself / build skills like climbing.

I hope I am making some sense here!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Great to talk with you last week. I have been thinking about your question for a couple days now and I wanted to give you my best possible answer. I also want to encourage you to reach out to the team, as they may have more individual expertise that could also help you.

Q1: Why can you crush the Sprint distance, but not the Olympic?

I took a look at your files from nationals, as I have those available. Interviewing them both, it's clear that you are fundamentally a different athlete in the sprint. I'm not sure how much of it is a mindset thing versus physical limiters, but I can only analyze these files for your physical side.

Comparing the bike to bike in the run to run the biggest thing that stood out to me was your RPM, on both the bike and the run.

The Bike: In a Sprint you spin at 93+ RPMs, but in an Olympic that drops to 87 RPMs....
    The Run: In a Sprint your cadence is 181, but in an Olympic that drops to 176 RPMs...

And because of that ^above^ your HR is about 10 beats lower than normal too...

I think the first strategy is working on that cadence / rpm focus, esp in the second half of your key "race prep" workouts (not EVERY workout). Second one is making sure the HR stays up, but let's see how #1 does...

Q2: How can we keep you healthy with the Hammy? 

Looking at your Strava, some of those early NOV runs were (A) at a good clip and (B) in the 7 mile range. TOO MUCH.

We solve this in 2017 by doing the following:

• No runs longer than 5 miles for the first 6 to 8 weeks. 
    • No speed runs in the first two months, all TRP please.
    • We build from 3 runs a week (first 3 weeks), to 4 runs a week (weeks 4 to 6), to 4 runs a week at 20 miles (weeks 7 and 8)....then we talk!
    ~ Coach P

• Options
    Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and certainly give me something to work on. I will post on the forums and see what the rest of the team has to offer regarding the Sprint vs. Olympic "problem".

I will have to work on my mental mindset for the "shorter", slower runs in the first two months, since when I get going and feel good, I just want to run more, especially when the weather is perfect for running. But given the setback that I had, I am going to be super cautious.

FYI...I did my last Sprint Tri of the season on Sunday - 5th woman out of about 80 and first in the 50 - 54 AG. I had a pretty good swim. It's a course with 4 loops on the bike to cover 10 1/2 miles and I was the last wave, so it was a crowded course, but I still averaged 20 mph on the bike and then I averaged 7 minute miles for the not quite 3 mile run. I was pleased with my results.

I am thinking that after my JDRF century ride this weekend and my 5 mile race at the end of October that I need to let my body really recover, so I plan on really backing off the first half of November and then picking it up again. I am really aiming for IM Louisville for next year and want to stay healthy and pain free.

Thanks again for your time!
    Barbara
  • Options
    @Barbara Feinstein YES to the recovery...load up the Post Half Plan to "chill" if you need the structure, or just plain chill. Then maybe in early November get back on our Run Durability Program (RDP) for Nov / Dec as a guide as you get fit and strong...aiming for the Jan OS start.

I heard you say Ironman....  :D

~ Coach P
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

After racing Sprint Tri Worlds in Rotterdam in September (50-54 AG - 5th US, 16th overall out of 60), I found that shoulder pain I had was non-stop and had to be remedied. I had shoulder surgery (Biceps Tenodesis & Subacromium decompression) on my right shoulder on 12/18. PT started 1 week later and I'm still there. Also dealing with Left shoulder same pain, trying to prevent need for same surgery (multi-discipline approach). In January, I started with Biking indoors (still indoors now), followed by swimming (kicking only for the first month), walking and finally running in mid-Feb. I have been slowly rebuilding everything (slow being a key word). I am planning on running (not racing) a half marathon on 4/15 and then starting Tri season in June. 

Your Races

• 07/22/2018 (Olympic Tri) NJ State Triathlon
    • 08/12/2018 (Sprint Tri) USAT AG Nationals - Cleveland, OH
    • Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City (2018-09-23) #703atlanticcity_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Finals Surge Training Log by clicking the Training Plans link. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/06/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 8/12/2018
    • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 9/23/2018
    • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018 

Coach Notes - Watch Coach Patrick's Video

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Barbara Feinstein

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    @Barbara Feinstein

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN