Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brenda Ross Official Coaches Thread

edited February 6, 2018 5:20PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Hi Coach P, staring JOS on January 4.I need some advice on jigging the schedule a bit.  I have the following things on my schedule that I would like to work in or around. Please advice. TY

Tuesday - 1 hour with Personal Trainer

Friday - 1 hour swim with Masters Club + 1 hour with personal trainer

Sunday - 1.5hour swim with Masters Club

JOS Schedule is:

Mon - core and swim prep

Tue - bike + run

Wed - run

Thur - bike

Friday - core and swim prep

Sat - bike + run

Sun - long run

Comments

• Options
    Queen B leading the way with the "best format" post ever. image

I like this options, but not sure how the wednesday run will work with your thursday...

Mon - core and swim prep
    Tue - bike + personal trainer
    Wed - long run
    Thur - bike
    Friday - master swim + trainer
    Sat - bike + run
    Sun - Master Swim Long + Interval run (from Wed)
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P, I will give it a try.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I am currently following the January OS - Lvl 2 for run and Lvl 3 for bike. Like last year my runs are all snowshoe runs except the Tuesday run off the bike which is done off the treadmill. I did not test for running but did for my bike and am using those zones for my bikes. I ride Zwift for all rides. Tue/Thur EN workouts and weekend Sat ABP with the team. I am currently swimming 2 times a week with a local tri team. Lifting weights 2x a week and then the other workouts for EN. I am also doing my first 50km race in October - Ghost Train Rail Trail Race Oct 21/18 

Your Races

• 04/22/18 Spring Fling Half Marathon
    • 06/23/18 Welland Long Course Triathlon
    • 07/15/18 Musselman Half Ironman 
    • Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (2018-08-12) #703Steelhead_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

Last updated by Coach on 02/05/2018:

• On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 4/23/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 06/03/2018
    • On 6/4/2018 Load the -- EN*Half, 12 Weeks to end on 8/12/2018
    • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/26/2018

Coach Notes

Queen B... WAZZUP!!! I love see you racking up the Zwift miles and continuing project snowshoe / run durability.  If it works...why change it, right!?!??!!  :smile:

I have you doing the OS into a swim week (taper-ish for your 13.1) then into the Bike Focus for 6 Weeks. This will build some bike volume as you run consistently (we'll want to keep that one long run from the OS on your schedule) so you can handle the (short) build to Welland...then you just continue onwards through Musselman (those hills!) and Steelhead as your "A" race. 

Do you have any specific performance goals for either Musselman or Steelhead that I need to be aware of?

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick- thank you for the outline. Just finished week 5 test and got a good bump, so operation bike focus is working. Not gonna lie. That level 3 stuff is tough, but I am holding up well. Moving forward I will be paying more attention to self-care to ensure I can continue on this trajectory.  I am already swimming 2 days a week, so wondering if I really need that swim transition?  

As for goals, yes I do have some for both of those races, but will need your help on getting there.  Here is a chart from my 2010-2016 HIM results.  I did a sprint and an IM last year so there are not here.

I am working on reworking my stroke this winter and have no idea if that is going to change my swim, so that 45:06 at Musselman is a PB for me, so I will know closer to the race if that has a possibility of changing, but I think I can do better on the bike for sure (sub 3 hour) and I think I can bring that 2:09 down as well, because that year I was coming off an injury that had me water running 5 weeks out leading up to the race.  

I have never competed at Steelhead before, but I would really like this year to be the sub 5:45 Half year for me.  5:30 would be a pie in the sky goal.

• Options
    I don’t think you need the swim camp from a training perspective but you will likely need it for resting. That is the whole trajectory that you were talking about. It will help sustain you, I promise.

Thank you so much for that helpful chart, I love it.

Overall I feel like your 2016 race was such a step forward for you overall that we are on the right path. I agree that your focus should be growth on the bike and consistency on the run.

One area you haven’t mentioned that you might want to consider is focusing on your transitions as there might be some free speed in there. 

How about you head over to www.theobsessedtriathlete.com to see what other people have done in your age group at steelhead for comparison sake. Then you and I can talk goals here. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - thanks for your comments. I realized after I pushed the post button that I should not of questioned the swim camp. I know it is necessary for recovery. 

Glad we are on the same page with regards to me focusing o the bike and consistency on the run.  I forgot about transitions. I used to practice those when I was a duathlete.  I would like to hear from you how far out of a race that you might consider putting those into a weekly schedule?

Here are the results for the top 11 women in my age category from last years Steelhead race. Do you think it is possible to go 5:45 at this race?

• Options
    Are usually don’t get worried about transitions until four maybe five weeks out. At that point in time you need some kind of a change to stay mentally in a game! This area I don’t know what you have placed in the past, but this shows you just how fast the course is by your age group.  If you are normally top 10 then you could expect to be around that time here.

Remember we are focusing a bit more on your bike this year with an eye towards keeping the run steady...In terms of your overall performance. Let’s keep pushing that FTP!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - been dealing with some lower leg issues for some time now. I am rolling, stretching, strengthening. It is not stopping me but I am concerned, so I have booked an appointment with a physio so they can take a look.  So, I have decided that the 6 days a week goal of running for Level 2 athletes is out for me. I have decided to do the following:

Monday - weights (stretching/rolling/strength etc...) 
    Tuesday - bike + 35 min run (this has been outside as of late)
    Wednesday - run
    Thursday - bike
    Fri - swim AM  + 35min midday run
    Sat - long bike
    Sun - swim AM + long run midday

4 runs instead of 6. This profile seems to be working at keeping what is happening at bay.  Thoughts?

P.S. Rolling, stretching and strengthing exercise for the lower body are done daily.
    P.S.S. Hope I am not going to be run jail and have to water run.

It seems to be the same as last time 5 years ago. Posterior tibialis. 

• Options
    @Brenda Ross - This is the kind of issue that Simply comes and goes. Some years you can train and there’s no issues and others not so much.

In your case, keeping that thing mobile as much as is possible it is really important. If you don’t already have one, sleeping with a night splint on/boot can make a big difference in terms of not allowing that to shorten while you were sleeping.

I think your modifications for training are alright. That will still let you get good running in the gives you enough of break between. Don’t forget to stretch your calves in rule the table even After you bike as that would also be issued.

From a structural perspective,   Do you wear any inserts in your shoes? Sometimes out of me to have a tendency to develop this machine also have hire arches. Just curious? 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - I do not have a night splint, but I think I know where I can find one.  I am stretching my calves but only once a day, so I think I have to put the timer on and remember that I should stretch more like 3x a day. Morning, noon and night.

I do wear inserts in my cycling shoes and am suppose to in my running shoes (back in now), but did not during the winter snowshoeing. I did not all of last year and thought that maybe I had trained my feet to be stronger. Guess not.   I do have higher arches and my feet are sore. I have been stretching them daily but again only once a day or after workouts.   I might incorporate some water running so I can keep the run volume in but give the lower body a break.  I will keep you in the loop as to how things progress. As of today, I am pretty sore.
  • Options
     I am glad you’ve made some adjustments to keep those inserts in your shoes. It’s a small price to pay to keep you healthy overall even if it is a pain sometimes.

If you need to, or feel free to take some downtime from the running. There’s nothing wrong with just dropping the run for a week to let your feet and lower legs recuperate.

Or you could start with just three days off as well. Not to be drastic but just trying to get ahead of the problem. Let me know how it goes! 
  • Options
    Update: Got in to see Physio on Monday. After a 1hr initial assessment, he feels it is all stemming from my core. My core for the average person is strong, but I need to up my game for this triathlon thang. I have the muscle awareness but have not been doing the work.  I have been assigned 4 exercises for now. 3 are done before exercise and 1 at the end of the day or after my workout. I am to keep up with my stretching, icing and rolling with mobility exercises.  I can continue to run.

Since Monday my pain in my Achilles is almost none existent.  I am going to wait until it is completely gone and then will try to add in some more running, but just 15min to start to see how things progress.

I will keep you in the loop. I am feeling optimistic. 

• Options
     That is fantastic news, I hope the positive trend continues. Great job stopping early and taking action before became a real problem. That is certainly not easy to do and I appreciate you making such a smart decision! I will be standing by! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

Well, that was short lived.  I was feeling really good until I did my long run on Sunday.  I got to 12km and the pain came on. Finished 16km and then could not walk all afternoon without a limp. Pain and swelling of Achilles.  I took Monday off and then ran yesterday for 30min on the mill in the afternoon.  I was able to manage the pain and get 5km in. The swelling was minimal and no limp. 

Today, Wednesday it is feeling good, but I do not think an 85min run is in the cards.  I have incorporated some other rehab exercises into my regime and have new shoes on order with the hopes that if I keep this up, the symptoms will continue to subside.

I have a half marathon scheduled for April 22 that I think I might step away from. I would rather work on fully rehabing now so that I can have an amazing season.  I am out of town this coming weekend. Steven is doing a marathon so I will skip my long run this weekend as well and then see how things feel next week. 

Here are my thoughts moving forward

1.  Keep short runs (30 minutes to 45minutes) for weekly runs with 1 long run on weekend or 
    2.  Keep runs as is, but split the long Wed run into road/water running (30-45min run + water running to make up the difference) and see if the long run on the weekend can be done fully on the road or
    3. same as two expect both longs runs are a combo of road/water running. 

Thoughts?

• Options
    @Brenda Ross - grrrrrrr  I hate that. I like the idea of determining what your goal weekly mileage is and then dividing it up into his many small runs possible. If we can do that for 3 to 4 weeks, that might be enough to get you back on track without over stressing your body. I know that you need a day of rest in between substantial runs, but it’s possible that short frequent runs are manageable? Let me know. 

I want to make sure you’re doing that self-care work with the foam roller and lacrosse ball including the bottom of your foot. I also suggest that you do some eccentric heel raises.

That exercise is standing on the balls of your feet with your heels hanging off the edge of the stair. You go up on both feet to your tippy toes, take off the good leg, lower yourself down slowly on the bad leg until you can’t go any lower.  Put the good leg back on to help you get back up to the top again. This eccentric work allows you to lengthen and strength in the Achilles. It’s also a lot easier to get full range of motion here with your bodyweight.

I agree that we should probably take that half marathon off the table right now. I just don’t think it’s worthwhile. Feel free to take a look at that weekly run mileage target and tell me how you would divide it up and I can give you feedback.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick After talking with my physio today we both think that short runs might work for me. I have been advised that I can run but not with pain. I will look at total weekly mileage moving forward and see how I can get the work in. How do you feel about me making some of the longer ones a combo of running on road and running in water?

As for your eccentric contraction exercise suggestion. I just started them yesterday. 2x a day, 3sets of 15 of straight leg and bent knee.  I stretch the bottom of my feet everyday. That feels amazing, and am being better about the foam roller.

• Options
    @Coach Patrick - update

I feel like I take one step forward and get pushed back 2-3 steps.  

Seeing Physio 1x a week. He is adding more core exercises and I am doing them daily along with stretching, icing, heating, mobility, etc.... 

I have an assessment scheduled on April 25 for a gait analysis and orthotic check.

I am also going to get my bike fit looked at. My leg was feeling fine until I got on the bike yesterday. It has been over 7 years since I last got a bike fit, so maybe something has changed?

I have swim camp this week with minimal running and only 1 bike, so I hope that my continued attention to healing is going to pay off before I start my bike focus on April 23.

I will update here on what all the professionals say.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - update.  Bike fit being looked at on April 21.  Gait Analysis and Orthotics being looked on Thur, April 26.  New shoes being worn. Yesterday was the first day that I could run for 30min without any pain at all.
  • Options
    @Brenda Ross I know it is exhaustive to look at all the options but it’s the best way to go. Happy to hear about the no pain...onwards!

ps bike for pics!? I’m such a geek for that stuff!!!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - okay bike refit and running gait analysis are done.

Bike refit - seat height was good, the saddle was moved back and there were some adjustments to my aero bars. I will get hubby to take a pic this weekend and I will post in here. 

Run analysis - do not need to change my shoes or my orthotics. They are both good. No major muscle weaknesses (hips are level, foot lands where it should etc... He feels the issue is with my hip flexors. They are so tight they are limiting my stride and in turn, my lower legs are doing double duty.

His suggestions
    Wear an elevated heel shoe in the house - done
    Get some massage and ART stat - I have not had a massage in two years. Talking to the physio about ART Friday
    Mobility work for calves and hips - talking to the physio about what he thinks are best mobility exercises for the calves and hips
    Change my work environment so that I am alternating standing and sitting - I currently sit all day, every day.  Will get on this stat.
    Use heel lifts for a bit to help take the load off the calves
    Incorporate couch stretch daily x2minutes - this was so painful last night I thought I was going to pass out
    Although I have no big imbalances in my body I have a slight one on the right, so he has suggested two exercises for my glute med and VMO on my right side.
    Here is the big one - less intensity in my bike workouts through injury. Currently, the bike really bothers it. You have me down for a 6 week bike block. Lets talk.
  • Options
     Great to talk with you, thanks for being so flexible with your schedule! You clearly have someone great working on your behalf, as the outlined changes are comprehensive and should prove to be effective.

I think the two biggest changes you’ll find is the word set up as well as the couch stretch which is a personal favorite of mine. Best use of a couch ever! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - update.  All running is pain-free and now I have had two bike rides pain-free.  I am settling into new bike fit. Today's test outside came in 20 watts less than when I left out season two weeks ago, but it is higher than when I left the end of my season last year.  It was only my 3rd ride in the new set up. My legs do not feel as trashed this time around. I will give it another week and see if I feel it needs any tweaking.  

Rehab is going well and couch stretch does not make me want to pass out anymore #progress.  Standing for half my day is challenging but I am making it work. #squeezeyour glutes #shiftfromlegtoleg #standtall
  • Options
    @Brenda Ross  - You are a role model for perseverance and dedication. Thank you for challenging yourself to solve the most important problems around strength and patience. I predict that you will continue to improve as you adapt!
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2018 9:11PM
    @Coach Patrick - feeling trashed from the bike focused block, so I am making an executive decision to leave it early and start my HIM plan. I did three weeks of the plan and think that maybe more than 1-week rest after my OS was necessary.  This year I did Level 3 and it yielded my highest FTP ever, but along with it came a great deal of fatigue. The injury is doing well, so I am going to start going back to trail running this coming week.  I will make sure I show up 15-20 minutes early so that I can warm-up on the flats before I will be hiking the hills until I feel my strength is there to run them. I will also make sure that I stretch well after. 

On another note - for the running what I have been doing is adding 1km a week to my long run. I see that the long run in Week 7 is 1hr30min. I am currently at 10km (57minutes), adding 1 mile this week will bring me to about 67min but there is a test the following week (I am going to skip that) I could do an 8miler (80minutes) then the runs split starting out at 60/45 so 105minutes, so I could do 90minutes for that run 60/30 and then work up from there. I usually run my long runs in the Gatineaus, but I think I will use the month of June to get distance under my legs on the flats then move into the Gatineaus for the long runs.

Thoughts?
  • Options
     I saw that picture on Facebook! Holy cow, you totally wrecked yourself. :-)  I agree that you can transition to the half plan. I believe the work is done!

Sidenote, we usually recommend two weeks of rest between the out season and bike focus so maybe next time around we make that happen? 

80 minutes for that first run sounds perfect. As for the split runs, I agree we want the first two or three of them in a place where you have plenty of wiggle room to adapt to the mileage. My understanding is that those hills are far away, if they were closer I might have you do a long hike on the weekend in replacement of your break run. Can’t beat those hills for strength but want to be respectful of your time too! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - well, one injury leaves and another shows up. After my great weekend in LP a couple of weeks ago I went for a trail run (first one of the season), and during the run I almost fell and injured what I thought was my hamstring.  The following week when I went to physio (Tuesday) he took a look and determined that it was not hamstring but rather an ischial tendon strain.  I went out trail running again that Tuesday night after some treatment and bam did it again. Ouch.  I then did a 16km run Wed/75km bike Thur/92km bike Fri/Swim Sat, Trail running festival on Sunday (10km in total of running) and it is irritated.  Monday I only did weights. Today at physio I was given the bad news. No road or trail running until it settles down. I can water run so I am going to do that in place of the runs assigned.  We are hoping that a week of rest will get it to settle down.  I have my first race in 2 weeks, so my hope that is that all will be good by then. I am going to focus on what I can do and not what I can't do, so bike/water running/swimming and weights.  Nothing to see here. Just keeping you in the know.

• Options
     I think you mean the ischial tuberosity.  This is the attachment point area for your hamstring to your pelvis. This can be tricky as there’s very little blood flow to a tendon versus the body of a muscle. 

I agree with your conservative course of action, and want to reassure you that you are missing out too much on fitness because you have so much going in. Consider it a “long” run taper into your first race. That said, let’s continue to stretch the hips and keep general mobility high without putting to much stress on the hamstring area. You should be fine on race day because of the warm-up on the bike.  because of the warm-up on the bike.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick 

I thought it was time for an update on my injury.  The high tendon/adductor injury is coming along. I am able to run without any pain. The area is still weak, but I have been doing weights 2-3x a week and that seems to be making things better.

I did my first multisport race in Welland on June 24.  It went well. My swim was slow but for the first time ever I was able to draft off of someone for 1.2km of the 2km swim.  I had an incredible bike and I could run the entire 15km at race pace.  Recovery was easy and I got back at training in two days.

SWIM2 km00:49:25.02:28/100m2 km00:49:25.02721071309:39:25
    BIKE56 km01:46:09.131.65km/h56 km02:39:41.5227761211:29:42
    RUN15 km01:26:18.45:45/km15 km04:08:35.6225781112:58:36

As you saw on my facebook feed I had a little set back with a bit of heat exhaustion on Saturday, but one full day off with hydrating and rest allowed me to get back at it on Monday.  Training has been going well. The heatwave has made training challenging, and after my scare, on Saturday I have been diligent about keeping cool and slowing down if I need to.

I have moved my runs up in distance. Before Welland, I was only running 5km because of the pain, but I can now run upwards to 10km.  I will start moving the runs up to longer moving forward. Still, no speed work but hope to get in one hill run a week if my guy says yes. He thinks I will be graduating to biweekly treatments after this next treatment.

I am running Boilermaker 15km this weekend. This will be my second 15km distance with the injury. I will not be racing but rather treating it as a training run, as we are going to be cycling and swimming the day before with Jason Baldimor.

I was thinking the other day about my swim. I have put in some hard work this winter and have been perplexed on why I have slowed down rather than sped up, so I thought back to when I was able to swim 43-45min 2km swims and I remembered that I had a different stroke rate, so I decided to try that same stroke rate when I was at my swim the other day and it made a huge difference (like 30sec per 100m faster). I am not sure my Garmin is telling me the truth but I do seem to be swimming faster, so I guess I will really now at the Musselman on July 15.

I think that since Musselman is not my A race I will not taper unless you think I should?  We are driving up Friday and my friend is racing the short course on Saturday, so those two days will be rest. That should be enough right?

• Options
    @Brenda Ross - Thank you so much for the update. I am glad to hear that things are progressing nicely. I agree that we still need to be conservative on the run.

Remember, you just ran a race pace so it’s not like being smart with your training has negatively impacted your race performance. Bonus if you can do some hills but honestly, I would be fine with you power walking up hills as well — it’s still a great workout.

Very pleased to hear about your drafting, I agree, stroke rate matter so much in open water. Big shout out to you for doing the math on that and getting it right. Going to have to start calling you smarty-pants! :-)

Finally, I agree that you don’t need to taper much for musselman. Two days of been more than enough, but why don’t you see how the week unfolds in case you need an extra day of rest. Nothing wrong with showing up a little more rested and pushing just that much harder.