Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Grit

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/pete-carrolls-creation-theyre-not-just-football-players-theyre-seahawks/

This time of year, I immerse myself in news about the Seatlle football team, the Seahawks. This article was published today in the Seattle Times. While football and triathlon are two VERY different sports, there was much in here which resonates with what we are doing and how we are led in Endurance Nation.

To entice you into reading this somewhat long feature, I'll note two things. First, the reporter is in his late 20s, but he is an extraordinarily perceptive and literate sportswriter. Second, the subject is actually Angela Duckworth, who is a MacArthur "Genius" fellowship grantee whose area of academic study is, believe it or not,* grit *, and how to scale it via culture. After spending time with the Seahawks, she concluded: " A lot of grit comes from the culture that you’re in,” she said. “So if you end up in a culture where other people are gritty, the leader is gritty, the leader is incredibly demanding and yet, at the same time, incredibly supportive, you’re going to be grittier than you would be in a place that didn’t have those features.” That sounds a lot like EN and our coaches to me.

Comments