Home General Training Discussions
Options

Just got a pair of Vibram FF

Just did my first 2 runs with my Vibram five finfers KSO's this weekend.  Did a 3.6 mile loop both Sat. and Sunday.  Felt great, fast and free.  Had some resultant calf pain, although not to bad.

I was curious to what those of you have found after wearing them for several months  ( Dave Corso etc.)  How do you feel?  How often do you run with them during the week?   Is there a limit to how far you can run with them?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options

This doesn't answer your question per se, but my initial reaction based on what I've read on the subject (and based on my experience with them) would be "whoah nelly".  Most advocate starting with very low mileage and ramping that up gradually to give your body time to adjust and accomodate.

You don't want those minor calf aches to turn into something more serious.  Some barefoot purists (as in no VFF, no nuthin' barefoot) suggest that even the small amount of protection the VFF offer is enough to let you "overdo it" more than you would if you were running completely barefoot.
  • Options

I have been working on changing my stride using Newtons and water shoes.  I started on a trend mill doing 1 km runs twice a week in the water sand shoes and 3 km twice a week in the Newtons. Now after four weeks I have built up to 3 km twice in the water shoes and two 5 or 8 km runs in the Newtons, but if the calves tightened up I would stay off my feet for up to three days.  My advice is to take it easy. It has only been in the last week that the calve pain has started to subside.

Good luck

• Options
    Paul,

I believe Newton recommends using their shoes on hard surfaces. If you use them on a treadmill you're supposed to crank up the incline so that only the lugs contact the surface.
  • Options

I tend to land on the outside of the foot then roll from little toe to big toe. If I try landing just on the ball of the foot it over works the calf.

Even with shoes I try to maintain the same form, imagining I am barefoot.

I have started to using 180 BPM podcasts to increase my cadance. Very fun. I was amazed I could maintain the 180 for most of the run.

• Options

I've had mine since Summer, and at first had some lower calf tenderness. I now run in them for my short brick runs to focus on foot strike and stride. The longest I ran in them was 11.5 with no ill effects, but I doubt that I'll that type of distance very often. I also do my strength and core work in them, and I tool around town wearing them.

My goals with the FF are to stay off my heals, clear the ground low and consistently, and to strengthen everything from my feet up to my knees. So far, so good. I've been fortunate not to miss a run session in over a year and the addition of the FFs seems to be a good weapon in making my legs bullet proof.

BTW...I run in Asics.

• Options

Had mind since August. Longest run was 5-miles. Mostly have used them for brick runs, usually 1-2x/week. Tried them for an interval workout on the treadmill once and that was the only time I had severe calf pain so I haven't repeated. I do tend to stick to trails when running with them if I can. I don't know if they are the be all, end all of run training, but they are fun and lend variety to things.

• Options

Also, saw a few people using them for the marathon at IMAZ last week.

• Options

I read Born to Run on Saturday and have been thinking about my choice in kicks, the running issues I've had, etc. Thanks for the insights, I might get a pair and check them out.

• Options
    Posted By Bob Arsenault on 23 Nov 2009 04:44 PM

Just did my first 2 runs with my Vibram five finfers KSO's this weekend.  Did a 3.6 mile loop both Sat. and Sunday.  Felt great, fast and free.  Had some resultant calf pain, although not to bad.

I was curious to what those of you have found after wearing them for several months  ( Dave Corso etc.)  How do you feel?  How often do you run with them during the week?   Is there a limit to how far you can run with them?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey Bob,

My longesst run with VFFs so far is 9.5 miles.  I have done all but one week of run workouts in them since I got them (early Oct?)  I also felt it in the calves at first.  Once I built up the calf strength I haven't had any issues.  

I did 3 rough trail runs in them and my feet took a beating so the next week I used my regular running shoes.  Other than that, they have been fun.  I'm doing a 1/2-mary in February and I plan do do it in the VFFs.

Edit - I am going to pick up a pair of VFF Flow now that the colder wetter weather is upon us.

• Options

Bob,

Sorry I missed your question earlier. My experience so far:

Last run in ASICs(Kayano) was IMWI09. I've averaged 22mi/wk in VFFs since with max week(38mi), min week (15mi), max run(9.5 mi), min run (3mi speedwork). I purposely ran only 3 miles daily my first week and found the soleus soreness better every time I ran. I'd recommend using the TP roller on the soleus to help loosen up after your runs.

I did a 5 mile race(very flat on paved roads) in the VFFs and other than the weird looks from the other 500 runners in shoes had no trouble. I also recently did a very hilly 4 mi cross country race and a Mississippi River Bluff 5 mi race in NB 790s which are the trail running flats Danny Dreyer recommends(very flexible but with a minimal heel) because I have heel discomfort if I run very fast downhill in the VFFs.

My experience with change in running style is: for the same race pace I'm 2-4 bpm lower heart rate and 5-7 rpm faster on cadence running about 90 avg cadence training and 94 avg at full race pace. I'm still an overly heavy older runner but I've enjoying (even the speedwork) more after ditching the shoes.

Good luck on the adventure.

John