Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX 2016- Week 13 Knowledge Burst

Week 13 - Knowledge burst
I'm going to say very little in the introduction as I believe every person on this team has a great deal of value to add after this past week!!! SOOOO let’s hear it! What did you learn at camp?? How did it go?? I so wish I was there and I know those who couldn’t make it feel the same- so don’t be shy campers- tell us all about it. Race rehearsals at home or at camp bring you tons of knowledge and insight into your race and the IMTEXAS course specifically.
Coach Patrick will be posting or send out information from this past weekend. If you have questions, remember to send him a message in the MICRO forum.
Here are two blog post recaps from the weekend: Day One Recap and  Day Two Recap
So now I turn it over to the fantastic Texas Crew- I want to hear all about your training weekend and what you learned.  
Let me know if you need ANYTHING at all!! 

Comments

• Hello everyone! Coach P will be doing some type of webinar or video for us all at some point about, so you will get a lot great tips when he does that.  Also, there are lots of great info 

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/MasterRacingPages/IronmanTexas.aspx#guide

I'm sure the other camp peeps can chime in with the stuff I got wrong or forgot.  I will try to go in order here....

1) Packing my bike - This was the first time I ever took my bike on a flight, and I believe that there could be a whole course on that.  I know a lot of you are pros at this, but if you are doing this for the first time, do your research.  There are some great threads on this in the forum.  I was surprised at the $150 each way fee that Delta charged.  I know another camper used United and was charged $200.  Tri bike transport may be a great option for IM Texas if you have that service near you.  I found a few bike shipping services on line today, and think that is the route I will go. Also, if you are a rookie at it like me, practice taking your bike apart and putting it back together.  See if your LBS will help.  Get some foam type protection (pipe insulation at Home Depot) to really make sure everything is protected.  I understand there may be nice packing foam pads on trisports.com (use EN discount!).  When we were taking the bikes a part at the end of camp, Tri Bike Transport sounded really good.....  Also, remember grease for your pedals, tools (including pedal wrench) and pump.  Also, plan on buying Co2 cartridges there.  Apparently its not legal to fly with them.

2) Arrival Day - Thursday - The camp did not start until Patrick gave his evening lesson, so I got in early and put my bike together.  I went down to the run course to check it out.  Patrick will tell you all about strategy, but the first thing I noticed is that it is concrete and not asphalt.  I plan on having fairly new shoes that are slightly broken in to help make my feet more comfortable.  Also, it was hot and humid that day, so definitely a shock to the system.  Patrick gave us some great information at 6:00, which was more about the camp and how things would work. He also reviewed the bike course in great detail, so we knew what to expect the next day.

3) Day one - We started with an easy swim workout.  Patrick took video and gave us all things to work on.  It was really cool to see some things that I need to tweak.  We then went back to the hotel to eat and get ready to ride.

There were 5 of us on the first day, and we all took off together.  If you ever do a camp and have a bike computer or a 920, it is very helpful to download the course.  I was able to navigate the course pretty easy with my 920.  There were 2 SAG vehicles.  Patrick was in one, and SAG vehicle superstar Vic was in the other.  They would drive ahead and make sure we made the right turns.  We also stopped every 20 miles and regroup.  Vic would make sure we were all full with water and nutrition, and Patrick would go into awesome detail what we should expect for the next hour and how to most efficiently execute the course.  I will mention that it was hot and humid that day with the winds out of the south.  This is most likely our condition on race day.  Patrick will get into this in the webinar, but it basically we should be going easy for the first 40 miles because the next 40 miles will suck.  Miles 46 to 76 are chip seal and mainly against the wind (if the wind is coming out of the South like it normally is).  If you go too hard in the first 40 miles, this section will not be fun!!  That is basically what I did on day one.  Mile 76 to the end was a long suffer home.  I was feeling lousy and that my fitness was not where I want to be.  

When I finally got back, I did a half hour run and got back a little late for the start of the talk. At this point I thought there was no way I would do the whole course on day 2.  But after the talk, dinner and a couple of beers, I convinced myself that I was all in for day 2.

4) Day 2 - I did not swim on day 2 because I have been having pains in my side with my right pull.  I used that time to clean my bike, get some breakfast and chill.  It was cold (40's to start).  

We determined that I was putting way too much pressure in my tire.  I was going to 120 in the rear and 110 in the front. We changed that to 100 in the rear and 90 in the front.  I will get to this a little later.

The winds were 19 to 25 MPH out of the North.  This is the total opposite of what is expected for race day.  This meant crazy head and side winds for the first 56 miles.  Because it was windy, and I was a little fatigued, I set out with my watts much lower than the previous day.  The wind was brutal and the pace was much slower.  Once we got going, I started to feel really good.  The familiarity of the course really helped.  Mentally knowing where each of the check points were helped me break the course into 20 mile chunks in my head.  Shell station, Sam Houston Forest North point turn, 56 mile point and questionable bathroom facility stop (I can’t think of a name for it) and then 36 miles home.

The lower tire pressure (and wind to the back) made the chip seal so much better! I also had a lot of energy left from going easy into the wind and using the low chain ring (Patrick will discuss) much more often on the climbs.  I also ate and drank a little bit more.  I felt do good coming home.  One other thing, I remembered to take my amino acids the second day.  This really helped keep the burn out of my legs.

I will say, the Woodlands area seems much longer on the way home than the way out, so be ready for that mentally. When you think you are almost home, you probably have another hour.  The good thing is that it is net downhill and fast.  If you did the first 40 miles JRA, you should be flying home.

We got back around 40 minutes sooner than the previous day.  I can’t believe how much better day 2 felt than day one!  It was a huge confidence boost. 

We broke our bikes down.  I realized now that is really going to not be fun after the Ironman.  I really think I may pay for Tribike Transport.  We will see.

Coach P took us through everything again and more.  We talked about what we learned and asked questions.  I realize now that I should have taken notes……  I will be sure to see the webinar.

5) Day three – Long run – Patrick will go through a lot of this on the webinar, but most of us did 13 to 14 miles.  This was roughly 1.5 loops skipping a few areas and adding to and from the hotel.  I thought again about having fairly new but broken in shoes.  I plan on using the first 6 miles to keep my heartrate at the level it is on the end of the bike. I also plan on taking in as much nutrition as possible and walking the aid stations.  6 through 18 will be Z1 mile repeats from aid station to aid station.  If everything goes as planned, I will be running through walkers from 18 to 26.2!

After the run, we pretty much went back to the hotel, ate, packed, said goodbye and went our separate ways.  I feel so prepared after doing this camp.  For those of you who could not, just make sure you catch the webinar and do the camp weekend.  I never rode 2 days in a row like that, but I believe it is totally worth it! 

Here are a few more random things I learned:

1)     Swim – 

a.     Work on the issues with my stroke (hand pointed up and arm too high) 

b.    Start out with a drill till settled 

c.     No warmup swim for IM Texas 

d.    Shaded goggles are good – water is murky so you will not see anyway 

e.     Three sections – Out, back and canal. Don’t turn in too soon 

f.     Draft! 

2)     Bike 

a.     Aero – Get as aero as you can.  I need a better bike fit 

b.    Disc wheel or wheel cover is good.  Deep wheels in front good. 

c.     JRA first 40 miles 

d.    Carry enough nutrition to skip the first aid station 

e.     Eat early – Have your plan on what time you will eat what and stick to it. 

f.     On the chip seal – ride where the passenger side tire of a car would drive.  It is much smoother there. 

g.    Drink 2 Gatorades per hour 

h.     Lower tire pressure (100 in rear, 90 to 95 in front) 

i.      Fuel belt to carry nutrition – use bento box for tube 

j.      Pee on the bike – will practice 

k.     Caffeine – Will add, but practice first 

3)     Run 

a.     Bike finish heartrate the first 6 miles. 

b.    Course is concrete. 

c.     Take more gels early before stomach starts to reject 

d.    Walk aid stations. 

e.     First 2 miles of course slightly up hill, second 2 slightly downhill. 

f.     Along the canal it is flat.

• Hey Brian! Thank you so much for this!!!!! Looking forward to the webinar. image

I would HIGHLY recommend TBT to folks. It is in every way worth it!! Especially when you don't have to pack your bike up after the race. That's worth the fee right there! Also, TBT is there to help you with slight mechanical issues and adjustments. They are particularly acc0modating with special requests if you bring them beer. image Nice folks.

Brian, hope your swim is feeling better.

And TX folks...sorry Ive not been posting. I can't post comments from my phone and my job doesn't involve a computer at work. Got a new home computer finally. image

I have been busy busy! 14 hours on the bike this week. This camp report has me fired UP! image Thanks again, Brian!!!!
  • Brian-- Great info! So glad your camp went great. Thanks for the run down-kind of like being there with ya.

I've used TBT before & it was fantastic. They handled everything & even tweaked it a bit before letting me take it for the race.

Sheri
  • Thanks Brian for the detail. I've done Texas 3 times and your info gave me a couple points to ponder as well as remind me of things you tend to forget about.

X2 on TBT. The convenience is well worth it. Just be aware of the drop off day and pick up day/time. From my location I have to drop off my bike about 10-11 days before the race and then pick up At the race site isn't until Wednesday afternoon.
  • How much is TBT?

Brian - I have poison ivy on my butt. I will be peeing on Ophelia for that race certainly.
  • Terra, I almost spit my coffee out my nose......  Poison ivy!  That sucks!

TBT from my house is $350 and I have to drop off at a bike shop an hour away on the 4th.  I don't have a back up bike and do not want to go that long without riding.

I think I will ship it FedEx.  It is $33 each way plus insurance and I can use my Thule Bike Case to pack it. You can pick it up at the FedEx in The Woodlands on Sawdust.

I am going to get this to protect it a little better:  http://www.trisports.com/albopads-full-bike-wrap-travel-kit.html

Go to the doctor and get something for that poison ivy ASAP!

• I know - hilarious. I told the MTB guys that I ride with. My friend Dustin said he was going to get me a Groupon for Outdoors 101... I'm knowledgeable - I know I went through some areas where there was a lot of it.

Where did you get that quote for FedEx? It cost me $68 to ship Ophelia home from TX. I went with Mark's recommendation of Bike Flights.
  • Hey guys. For shipping your bike, if you're not wanting to do TBT, you might also consider a Ruster Hen House (we get a team discount). If you're comfortable breaking down and building back up your bike a bit, the Hen House can be taken on an airline (you tell them it's bike parts, not a bike) and it costs the same as a standard bag to check.
  • @Terra - Bike Flights is where I got the quote.  They use FedEx, so I was going to stop by there and see if I use them direct.

@ Chris - Yes.  I like that option because it is always with me.  I don't mind the dis-assembly and assembly now that I have done it. Hmm...  lots to think of while on long bike rides this weekend......

• For the last three years I have flown on United with my bike in a case to IMTX however last year United bumped the cost up to $150 each way (Cleveland to Houston). So although I have had no problems it feels expensive especially given that there is still some stress during the flight about the health of your bike in the hold.

So this year I am signed up with TriBikeTransport, partly based on Brian's feedback after the camp this weekend (thanks!). Cost for me is $350 but they will also hit you if you have a disc wheel (separate bag plus $25) and, if you need it, insurance...

In the end it's more expensive than flying but hopefully a lot less stressful. If not then next year I will go back to my Ironcase!
  • Terra, as your personal IMTX Bike course guide, I feel somewhat responsible for your butt.  I knew I should have directed you to the right of that oak instead of over to the left.  My bad.

• I literally just laughed out loud Victor. No way are you responsible for anything but being the best course guide ever!!! We couldn't have done camp without you. I owe you a drink!