Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

American Zofingen RR - Long Beefy Course

Let me start by echoing Chris G's closing statement, "This is a great race!" After following some of the banter on ST and Chris's comments I most definitely felt I may have bitten off more than I could chew, especially since this is only my second year of racing. However, I was determined to push as hard and as long as I could to try and complete what I started.

It turned out to be a beautiful race day: sunny, low 70's and no wind. The view from the start/finish line was simply amazing. But let me back up a few hours. I was working the nutrition advice from the 4Keys, therefore woke up at 2am, consumed ~600 calories, and went back to sleep. I woke up at 5am with what we will call some severe lower GI issues. I guess I shouldn't of chosen an apple juice based drink. Fortunately, the DW always carries an Imodium AD with her. After taking care of this small problem we ate, packed and arrived at the start line @ 0630.

In an attempt to not repeat last year's debacle I quickly setup in transition and found a race official to make sure I knew everything I need to about the race. At 0730 the 49 (fool)hardy long course racers lined up to start there day. There were many repeat racers, but I don't think I was the only first timer.

I really enjoyed the bag-pipes. They added a certain charm! After a few brief remarks we were off and running. Knowing that I wanted to keep my pace around 10 min/mile for this lap I started towards the back of the pack. I quickly found out that when they said "trail" race they actually meant it. I was expecting dirt and unpaved paths. I was not expecting rocks, boulders, streams, plank bridges. I tried ti take it all in stride and not worry to much. The many narrow paths helped keep me honest and maintain my pace. I completed the first 5-mile loop in 49:54. Yeah, right on pace.

Quickly entering T1, I pulled on my biking kit. Thanks to Michele's recommendations to pull biking shorts over tri shorts. This worked like a charm. I think the extra padding help tremendously. In 2:56, I was mounting the bike and headed out to the bike loop. The first 3/4 mile was packed dirt, rough but definitely rideable. This leads right into the middle of one of the monster hills on the course.

I knew there was no way that I could hold my watts on this hill. I just needed to get over it each time and try to execute the rest of the ride as best I could. There were 2 major hills on the course. The first is this one around Mohonk Park. It is only a couple of miles from bottom to top, but the grade reaches 10-12% in some places. The other is on the back side of the course up to Minnewaska Park. This one is much more conservative in grade, 4-5%, but seems to go on forever (7-8 miles) with some beautiful views.

I have to first thank my DW, who set in the middle of Mohonk hill and cheered on every rider who went by. This was a tremendous boost when you know you still had a 1/2 mile of hell left ahead of you.

I had previously ridden the course and had a preconceived notion that I should be able to complete the 3 loops in approximately 6 hours. I think in the long run this hurt my overall execution. I went into planning to ride at 70% of my FTP, but also trying to complete the loops in 2 hours. These did not coincide.

Lap 1 (1:57:06.55):

Duration:   1:57:06

Work:       1202 kJ

TSS:        155.3 (intensity factor 0.894)

Norm Power: 192

VI:         1.12

Pw:HR:       n/a

Pa:HR:       n/a

Distance:   28.468 mi

Elevation Gain:     2820 ft

Elevation Loss:    2848 ft

Grade:      -0.0 %  (-21 ft)

Min Max Avg

Power:        0 452 171  watts

Cadence:      30 177 89  rpm

Speed:        0 45.5 14.6  mph

Pace          1:19 0:00 4:07  min/mi

Altitude:     238 1455 666  ft

Crank Torque: 0 570 171  lb-in

Lap 2 (2:06:11.58):

Duration:   2:06:12

Work:       1073 kJ

TSS:        125.3 (intensity factor 0.772)

Norm Power: 166

VI:         1.17

Distance:   27.81 mi

Elevation Gain:     2771 ft

Elevation Loss:    2766 ft

Grade:      0.0 %  (13 ft)

Min Max Avg

Power:        0 383 142  watts

Cadence:      37 170 80  rpm

Speed:        2.9 44.1 13.2  mph

Pace          1:22 20:33 4:32  min/mi

Altitude:     245 1444 656  ft

Crank Torque: 0 577 159  lb-in

Lap 3 (2:19:38.21):

Duration:   2:19:38

Work:       1082 kJ

TSS:        116.6 (intensity factor 0.708)

Norm Power: 152

VI:         1.18

Distance:   28.268 mi

Elevation Gain:     2807 ft

Elevation Loss:    2808 ft

Grade:      -0.0 %  (-3 ft)

Min Max Avg

Power:        0 347 129  watts

Cadence:      38 173 76  rpm

Speed:        0 38.8 12.1  mph

Pace          1:33 0:00 4:56  min/mi

Altitude:     254 1447 671  ft

Crank Torque: 0 609 156  lb-in

Entire workout (146 watts):

Duration:   6:22:56

Work:       3358 kJ

TSS:        404.9 (intensity factor 0.797)

Norm Power: 171

VI:         1.17

Distance:   84.545 mi

Elevation Gain:     8414 ft

Elevation Loss:    8422 ft

Grade:      -0.0 %  (-11 ft)

Min Max Avg

Power:        0 452 146  watts

Cadence:      30 177 81  rpm

Speed:        0 45.5 13.2  mph

Pace          1:19 0:00 4:32  min/mi

Altitude:     238 1455 664  ft

Crank Torque: 0 609 161  lb-in

The numbers clearly show that I fooked up the execution.  The first lap was at .89 WTH? There was probably no way I could have survived after this. Also my VI was atrocious. I really need to practice riding a bit more evenly regardless of the terrain. Regardless I pushed through the 3 loops focusing on my nutrition as best I could. I finally arrived at T2 in 6:23:35. Tired but ready to run.

In T2 I pulled off the bike shorts/shoes and hit the trail. My stomach was feeling a bit queasy at this point but was hoping I could sort it out on the trail. I left with a few other runners, all of who immediately power walked the hills. I followed suit. I quickly realized that the long effort on the bike was going to make it a long day. I was experience some left knee issues along with the GI issues. I was now hoping that I could keep the run to 1 hour per loop.

I came into the pavilion after the first loop feeling a bit defeated, but determined. At this point I got to meet Chris for just a few minutes. He gave me a few words of encouragement and sent me right back out there. My knee was still giving me some issues, but the GI issues were clearing up. The plan of attack was to walk all uphills and run any downhills or flats.

By the end of the second loop I was in need of that "one" thing. I was certain I was the only person left out on the course and the officials wouldn't let me continue. Just before reaching the pavilion for the second time I passed a guy who I found out was also only on his second loop. First problem averted. Then came my DW to the rescue. She was right up in the pavilion handing me a drink, and saying there were only 5 more miles. There was no way I was going to back out now. I hit the water and Heed an then got back out there. I knew I could at least not come in last place if I just pushed it a little bit.

In the end I managed to complete each of the 5-mile loops in 1:04, 1:13 and 1:14, respectively. I finished in 10:51:56, 42/49 overall and 11/14 AG. Overall, I think I had a great race. It is probably the hardest thing I have done in my life. I am so happy that I could push through and complete what I started. This final picture says it all. 

Exhausted, but complete satisfied. And yes, I could do it again!

Pete

P.S. Once again a special thanks to my DW, Chris G and the rest of EN. It is because of you all that I was able to accomplish such a feat. Hope to meet more of you in the future.

Comments

• Options

Amazing story! The look on your face says you had a successful race.

• Options

Congratulations Pete! That is a huge accomplishment indeed!

• Options

Awesome accomplishment finishing the LC.  It is a serious race.  Everyone I have spoken to says that while shorter it is much harder than IMLP.  I believed it.  I do not see myself every attempting it.  Riding steady is a great idea and a great way to approach a race usually, not sure it is more than a pipe dream at AZ.  Your TSS was 404 getting off the bike.  The hills there make that kinda inevitable. For an IM ride we target 270-290.  Further, as you noted the "run" there is very super extra really hard.  From the really hard to run on grass, places to fall in the mud, planks, that stupid rockwall well thing you have to jump over [I wonder how many people have fallen in that BTW], to the uphill weird rock root almost kinda stairs things and then, just when you think it is safe you have those downhill parts where someone [for whatever reason] put that low rock wall across the trail in those 3 or 4 spots and then that nasty uphill nasty false flat grass part for the last 1/3 of a mile or so to get to the pavillion.  Hard.  I can't even imagine having to run through the pavillion and then head back out like that.  Badass.  Lots of people are Ironman finishers, AZ long course is in a whole different category of stupid human tricks.  Enjoy it.

Sorry that we did not get to hang out more.  Next time.

• Options
    Congratulations. Sounds like a really awesome race and a great accomplishment. Don't worry about placing...after all you finished ahead of 309,312,657 people in the US who didn't toe the line! Way to represent!
  • Options

This is a cool movie/slideshow put together by Ben Leese who was 5th on the LC, it gives the flavor nicely:

http://jaycut.com/node/139339

• Options
    Posted By Chris G on 20 May 2010 09:21 AM

This is a cool movie/slideshow put together by Ben Leese who was 5th on the LC, it gives the flavor nicely:

http://jaycut.com/node/139339

Nice! On the way home from the race I was actually thinking that they should offer a "Reverse AZ". This one would run the course in the opposite direction. That way we could race it twice a year.  I honestly am not sure which would be tougher.

Pete

• Options

Great job.

• Options

Only 49, LC racers????  Well, that kinda sums it up, doesn't it? image FANTASTIC accomplishment! Congratulations. Great report and pix to boot. Revel in it. That was major bad ass is right!

• Options
    Great Job! AmZof was on my schedule this year but I decided that there was no way my body would recover in time for IMLP - 3 months later. You rock for tackling and finishing.

Jeremy
  • Options
    Much respect and huge congrats, Peter. That looks like an amazing race on cool terrain.
  • Options
    AmZo LC is one tough race---congrats on your effort and finish! Also, your wife put the D in DW!!
  • Options
    Well done and well told; I really got the flavor of the race. Salud!
  • Options
    WooHoo! Congratulations! This Long Course Du is seriously legit- you should be flying high with pride.

PS- Chris- cool video, love the spaghetti western music at the beginning!