Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 
Options

Selling Truck on Autotrader, what's the scam here?

So...

The new van is turning into a decent daily driver, since I don't drive much, and I'd like to sell the truck to finance some improvements around the house: new doors, paint, etc. I listed the truck on Autotrader and this morning got three nearly identical texts wanting me to email them. The reply of the first:

+++++++

Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log ontowww.paypal.comย and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the ย title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Full name:

Firm Price:

Zip code for pickup:

+++++++

My Spidey senses where tweaked so I've held off on the replying, but now I've gotten a word for word identical message from one of the other email addy's.

So what's the scam? Probably phishing for my PP addy, name, and zip?ย 

Comments

• Options
    I think you should reach back out and the mess them all up. Rich style...in the nutz.
  • Options
    Forget that you got it 3 times, that's a completely obvious scam. My guess is that there would be an excuse that the PayPal would not work and then you would be asked to make some other arrangement that would end up costing you. I doubt the truck would ever be involved.

Among other issues, those grammar mistakes are not the common ones of a native English speaker. It's unlikely a non-native speaker would be in the Army.
  • Options
    Yes. Total Scam.
    Had me at "....currently been deploy to NATO Air Base...." that is the dead give away. Just the total nonsense level of detail.

good luck with the truck sale.
  • Options
    Bummer. Thought I was on track for an easy sail so I guess I need To go back to this Nigerian prince who's been very helpful...
  • Options
    Coach...a little off topic but...how bout some photos of the new van (mobile man cave)....I've been contemplating similar move for ADVrider/travel
  • Options

Wait I thought the Nigerian Prince was going to help me!!!ย 

Hope the truck sale goes quick and easy

• Options

Posted By Jeff Sullivan on 07 Apr 2016 06:06 AM

Coach...a little off topic but...how bout some photos of the new van (mobile man cave)....I've been contemplating similar move for ADVrider/travel

Here are some quick ones, from a recent camping/cycling/moto trip to Death Valley with the GF a couple weeks ago.

Ford Transit high roof cargo van that I had built out to my specs.ย 

• Floor with 3 lines of L-track, from front to back, as mounting points for bike racks, tie downs, a jacknifing sofa I can move around or take out the van, motorcycle wheel chocks, etc
    • Wall installed with more L-track, as additional mounting points
    • Ceiling with LED lighting
    • Driver-side cabinets at the roofline
    • 22gal exterior shower
    • LED worklights off the side and rear cargo doors
    • Awning
    • Swivels installed on driver and passenger seat
    • Removable table behind driver seat, so I can spin the chair around and use as a desk.
    • Roof vent, with remote

I've also bought a small portable grill, table, and chairs. The net is that I have a very configurable platform that I can quickly change around to accommodate a range of activities. The DV trip was my only camping trip so far but I hope to use the van as solo training camp basecamp a few times this summer.ย 

• Options
    SWEET...maybe we'll cross paths in CO this summer....I'm going to Al's camp the week after you guys...arriving 6/5
  • Options
    Just saw this post and it made me think two things,
    One - the Paypal address link (i did not click on it) is probably linked to a phishing site to grab your paypal information
    two - you MUST watch this - https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_this_is_what_happens_when_you_reply_to_spam_email