Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Cheating Triathlete Story Makes NYTimes Front Page...

I remember this saga as it impacted one of our own, the one and only Jenn Edwards. Crazy to see the NYTimes run with it though!!!

>> Full Story Here

Comments

• Options
    It's kinda funny all the investigative work that went into proving her fraudness. When this hit after the race last year, I went to FinisherPix, typed in her name, saw the pics of her shuffling at 14-minute pace with a rather "un-podium" physique, and closed my investigation. 5 minutes, gulty beyond any reasonable doubt. But, on the upside, she's joined Barry, Rosie, Lance and other dignitaries in the Sports POS Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    As people (used to) say about my city's mayor: "Well, at least (s)he brings people together." But the platform is definitely big-time for a sport where even the world championship results struggle to get any media coverage anywhere outside the BI (I defy you to find Kona results in your Sunday news sports pages).

I wore a IM cap to the pool last night, and had three people stop to chat about the story. Must have been a slow news day, but the story is a fascinating one and captures public attention about the extremes in an 'extreme' sport / lifestyle.

(as are the lesser-known allegations that the winner of the same race was detained in Canada customs with suspicious vials of drugs in his carry-on as he was leaving the country).
  • Options
    @Dave didn't know about the vials at the border thing...but then again I don't watch any news at all. Ever. Zero value add to my life. Even the weatherman sucks, and he's a local friend.

Who wants to read about boring chemical cheating when you can have people doing it old school?

Waiting for Mr Spurlock of documentary fame to do a 30 in 30 on this...
  • Options
    Another cheating story in RW. Interesting story on the Internet sleuthing to catch cheaters that qualify for Boston.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/dozens-suspected-of-cheating-to-enter-boston-marathon
  • Options

apparently a follow up article on this from the NYT - there was FinisherPix video camera evidence that has now come to light, in the 2nd video someone from the EN Haus trots by the camera lookin good!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/sports/julie-miller-ironman-video-offers-proof-that-disqualified-triathlete-cut-course.html 

and a threat on ST for those interested in some laughs
  • Options
    The second video shows a guy in an EN jersey in the first few seconds. Not sure who that was though.