Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 IMLP Peeps? Hello? Anyone home?

By my count, this Sunday marks T-13 weeks to IMLP so I assume folks will start dropping into the IM Plans soon. I'll be doing Challenge Roth this year which is 1 week before IMLP, so I thought I might just join you all for the training banter and camaraderie. Who is in? When does the party start? Did I miss a memo?

Comments

• Options
    Nemo we're all here we were just waiting for you to pipe in, right guy's !! image
  • Options
    Check the dashboard! I will be firing up your admin thread THIS sunday and then we start weekly threads every sunday after leading up to your race day! Oh hi, you know me..... you're friendly RACE CAPTAIN!!!
  • Options
    Great! Hope you all don't mind me crashing in on the party.
  • Options
    Yeah Mariah is turning this into the LP express!!!Looking forward to some positive mojo here, trash talking etc! Glad your joining us Nemo!
  • Options
    Hey all! Week 7 and the countdown begins!! Looking forward to all of the positive mojo leading up to July. Let the fun training beginimage
  • Options
    Whoo-Hooo! Looking for some fun. Will be bringing all the gear from Sunny-Hot to Rainy-Cold. Here we Gooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    Ready to go and dropping in the IM Plan!!!
    Great crowd here already
  • Options
    Given that we have no weekly thread, I am in desperate need of camaraderie & flowing mojo that I haven't had since the OS ended a few weeks ago.. So here's what's up in my training world!

My OS ended 2+ weeks ago with the Austin Rattler 100k MTB race which thoroughly thrashed my legs, I took the next week off, unintentionally and then did a crazy trail half mary with 5000' of climbing. That didn't helped how thrashed I was from the Rattler... 

took off a few more days and have finally gotten some semblance of training going.

My swim is sucking as I just did my first swim since September last week.I had rotator cuff surgery a year and a half ago, but still having issues... so this will be an interesting part of my training.... I know it will come back fast. As long as the arm holds together, I am hoping to put in an extra short session or two per week to get this going (If I write it publicly, it will happen, right?!) 

Running - I just need to get out of bed & make it happen, I am committing to a running hack that includes some off day ez recovery jogs...

Biking - attempted to do 12-20-12 @ FTP on the drainer this AM, epic fail 6 mins into 2nd interval... I am confident that this was going out at top end of FTP  instead of focusing on something more like .92-.95IF... Planning on a quality run from work this afternoon & then 3x8s tonight to make up for the fail... 

body comp - after going on a "binge week" between the rattler & the breakneck trail run, I am fully back on the diet program and hopefully shedding lbs

• Options
    Scott...same need of camaraderie here ..... and 2X on my swimming being horrible !!! Monday I did my first session for many weeks and I was average 10% slower than when I am in good shape...hope to improve soon !

Bike is good, weekend went back to the roads and did 45 miles on Sat and 33 on Sun with good results and yesterday the 12/20/12 was hard but could complete and then went for 5 miles run...tired but good!

Let´s start the weekly threads !!!
  • Options
    I'll add my status update---been a bit of an up and down, like any good endeavor. image I started out the season in January (pre-EN) with a local coach who for personal reasons didn't spend any time putting together a plan and gave me generic stuff that I think actually made me lose fitness from where I was before that (grr...down). OK, so February, joined EN (up!) and dropped into the get faster plan (up). Got faster as advertised into early March but then had a flareup of my chronic peroneal tendonitis in my foot so I had to stop running completely for a month (down). Recently found an awesome PT who fixed my issues with ART (up!!!) but then strained my radial nerve in my arm swimming two weeks ago and had to stop that for a week (down). PT also fixed the arm (up, this PT is saving my season) and seem to be on track??? Maybe?? Up up up from here I hope!

Swimming-- IMLP will be my first IM, so this is the most yardage I've ever done. Previous years I topped out at 2300 3x/week and I'm already doing 2800 3x/week...seeing times improve as a result and I hope to keep learning and increasing fitness there. I think I can also say that this is the first year I'm actually enjoying going to the pool and not just trying to get through the yardage to get it done. In other self-improvement news I bought tubing to do land strength exercises per Sheila Taormina (Swim speed secrets) and went to a local-ish coach (Winning Swimming in NH) to get advice on making my stroke stronger, both of which should help and keep the nerve injury thing from flaring up again.

Biking-- this is my strength, so super happy the winter was so mild in the greater boston area that we could get outside as early as February!!! Weekend long ride has been 55-60 miles the last few weeks, way better than spending 3 hours on the trainer in the basement for sure. Not seeing too much improvement in FTP, but certainly developing endurance and visibly the quads are growing (I call it the parasitic quad, when the huge quad muscle sits on top of an otherwise normal looking quad). Also, I need to redo my sweat test--on my first try I gained weight during the test...er? I made a puddle under the trainer so it wasn't that I wasn't sweating!!

Running--Scaling back expectations for the run this year I guess and just trying to keep myself on the roads and be able to put the aquajogging belt back on the shelf. All runs at low intensity and just ramping up distance slowly...long run right now is only 5 miles, but hopefully can get to where Quassy can happen and keep cruising up from there. 45 minutes a day of PT to strengthen med glutes, abductors, foam rolling, acumobility ball, self graston, stretching and releasing lower leg muscles...

Hope everyone is having an awesome season so far and enjoying the journey!!
  • Options
    Scott, I am not doing Placid, but i feel your pain. Last week was a massive wake up call like yourself... Hate to be candid. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!! stop making excuses, and just get movin'! When the alarm goes off, move and do not use an excuse. Because excuses are for other people not for you! You slept bad last night, who cares, you will sleep better tonight because you hit your workouts. You are going to start swimming and you are going to start working out more. Stop eating bad foods! (BTW, i am telling myself this too as I type).

You have done this before and you can do it again. As Jerry Rice once said: "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't!"
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the "Oh Shit" meter is pretty much pegged at this point!!

I did a half mary week before last and felt fantastic about my race (just under 2 hours and paced nearly to perfection). But ho boy did my legs need recovery after that! My swim is actually going well. The time I spent with Sara McLarty in February working on my form has really given me renewed energy and enjoyment about getting in the pool- so I'm pretty happy there. But the bike is where I'm really behind.

Last weekend was my first ride over 40 miles in a VERY long time! No intervals- just giving my undercarriage a reminder of saddle time was enough.

This Sunday I'm doing a Half IM as a training day- that should be, um, interesting! But it's the kick in the pants I need.
  • Options
    Glad to see some Amazing mojo in here!

@Carole - your ups & downs reminded me of the trail Half Mary I did a week and a half ago.. 

yes, that was real 

I went out for a nice TRPish run last night around 6 and around mile 4 i realized that my legs are still totally trashed from the 1/2 & the Austin Rattler... I was trying to start a daily run a day from now until 2 weeks prior to LP, but that was undone by the bug I had Monday & Tuesday... 

I am just going to hack up the plan for the next four days and hope to re-enter on Monday and stick to the plan for the week. I suspect I won't be able to do the higher mileage runs or more intense intervals for yet another week, but will plan accordingly!

@nemo - love the immersion theory to a big training day!

• Options
    If you read the thread before this one, you will see that Mariah is your race captain and will be creating weekly threads peeps. Keep your eyes peeled and if you have not done so, please read the post about this.
  • Options
    How did everyone do with the Big Training day??
    Swim was a breakthrough for me since I only started swimming a week ago! 3000 yds/ 1:05. Felt great that I got in some longer yardage sets .
    Bike - got a late start, did 69 miles in 4:14
    Run - too late to deal with since I have kids this weekend.. Will get a lil longer than an hour in tomorrow!
  • Options
    I did Monticelloman (Half Iron) as my Big Day but cut it a bit short. You can read about it here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/20853/Default.aspx

Huge smack upside the head to tell me I have got WORK to do!!!