Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX 2016- RACE WEEK! IT'S HERE!

RACE WEEK! WEEK 20
Shout out to Dana for the course recon-- HUGE THANKS!!!! That is so helpful! Everyone is on the right course! Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman Texas course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"
You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.
Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.
When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.
-----------------------------------------------------
Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!
Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.
Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!
It has been an honor to be your Race Captain. I am here all week if you need to vent, have any questions etc. Please remember to sign up on the IM Texas Dinner form if you haven’t already done so! Please try and make the dinner, its so great to hang out together before the BIG day! I will be there in spirit!!
Mushy part over.... GO CRUSH THIS COURSE!

Comments

• Wishing all great skill and execution come race day!  Already bought my popcorn so that I can sit back and watch all you monsters taking care of business come this weekend!

Laura has certainly made this team stronger!  I just want to recognize her, her example and the great words of wisdom she puts out in these threads at the right time!

Do me a favor, print our your IM training plan and take it with you to your race.  Come race morning, take a minute to breathe, and read over that plan, remind yourself of all of the hard work and smart training you put in for this day.  Remind yourself, again, that you belong at this race, you did the work, just execute those 4 keys and all will fall into place.  Not everything is going to happen exactly as you are planning. During those moments when the un-controllables take place, calm down, think, re-adjust and move forward.

Maintain self confidence at all times.

You will be amazed at how much strength you will find out there on the course during those dark hours, observing your team mates and supporting them along the way.

Go represent team and have an awesome experience!

SS

• I am so happy for all of you who going to race this week! you are "/%"/$ lucky to be there and ready to kick asses!

Enjoy, smile, have fun and be safe.

looking forward to read race plan's!
  • Hey all - Black walnut café for dinner Thursday night. They don't take reservations. I think that there are 5 or 6 of us. I'd say 6pm if that is ok. I will be there wearing an EN shirt at 6.
  • Sounds good. I see I am the only one bringing kids does anyone have any objection - they are 5&3...
  • No Taco Stand? Maybe we can do lunch there on Friday? It is a must!
  • Does anyone know what the elevation gain for the course it. It is a bit "flasked" that they didn't include that on the Athlete Guide.
  • Terra - looks like they have an elevation map up now in the imtx site. Looks pretty benign. 1752 ft gain spread over the 94mi.
  • @Julian- i don't see a problem bringing your kids! Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  • julian for sure bring em!
    terra - i am down for anything with taco in the title.
  • My phone was making so much noise last night I had to turn it off. What did you do!? The group me alerts are a sign that it is race week, and I'm so excited. How can I find a link to the 4Keys talk? I want to hear what Coach P. Said about TX this year.
  • @Dana- the webinar last night was a fail. Apparently Patrick's internet crashed during the webinar. He sent us an email saying he will record a video and send us the link to watch. Hopefully by tonightimage
  • has the group me started already? I haven't gotten any msgs. who should I reach out to?
  • Jimmy, Word from Coach P is that group me will be online tomorrow for EN IMTX athletes.
  • @Jimmy, it starts on Wed. Brenda said she would do it then. There was a group that was created for the TX camp and never got turned off. Mostly quiet, except last night. But don't worry the voices will be heard loud and clear come Wednesday.
  • Count on me & my folks for dinner (3). ??
  • thx Stephanie. They don't take reservations so I will just plan to be there at 6pm with a current final headcount from the spreadsheet.
  • how is the weather shaping up ?    temps looks pretty good.   but thunderstorms ?
  • Looks like the same pattern as last year Robin. A bit wet tomorrow, and then hot and maybe a shower Saturday.

And they changed the swim so that you start and end at North Shore park (no swimming in the canal). I honestly think it's a better way of doing it all. I bet they keep it this way next year.
  • The canal always sucked so I am not unhappy about this change so long as it status 2.4.

T1 last year was a muddy mess which clogged up my cleats. I guess Patrick and those at the front had a better time of it but it was a disaster by the time I got through. Hopefully t1 will be better in the park this year.
  • Re dinner- I'm here. Red shirt. But I'm not sure how to pull folks together. Anyone know if the group me is up and running?
    It is 6:10 now. I'll wait another 10min and see if I can connect anyone.
  • should be an adventure with all the course changes.

the run course has been changed too     52.4 loops around the host hotel parking lot.