Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 VIP Race Day Package

I was wondering if anyone ever signed up for the VIP Race Day Package in Lake Placid.  I was thinking about getting it for my family since it can get pretty crowded.  Is it worth getting?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/ev...ience.aspx

Thanks

Rod

Comments

• Options
    I never saw that before.

It is kinda pricey but may be worth it.
  • Options
    Have to give it to IM - they will try to make a buck on anything!
    Roderick - you have to decide if there is value at those prices for you. Seems a bit expensive to me.
  • Options
    There are some threads on SlowTwitch regarding the VIP packages. The reviews from people who bought them are all over the place depending on which IM they had it for. Some folks loved it and some folks said after buying it and seeing how the race went down, it was just a waste of money. Bottomline, you need to hear from folks who had the VIP package for IMLP and not for any other IM.
  • Options
    I've had complimentary VIP packages at a few IMs including Kona, a friend of mine is a sponsor and will have it for LP for my GF & her kids. The ONLY part of it that looks worth something is the VIP viewing area for the swim, but there is probably nothing to see because everyone looks the same in a black wetsuit...

If you want to pay the extra $ for them to put the medal around your neck(which I am not getting), that's kinda cool... but to me, not worth the $, plenty of good places to chill on the course, in front of the brewery for instance where you are right up on both the bike & run course..
    not worth the $ in my opinion..
  • Options
    It's probably too late, but having a family member volunteer the late shift at the finish line is an option.
    When I volunteered at IMLP in 2014, I saw a few volunteers doing that for their spouse.
  • Options
    I have done it for my last two IM's and can confirm it is 100% worth it. Ironmen care about their Iron Families. They dealt with all the training, traveled all the way there to cheer and Sherpa for you. You should set them up. Plus, it is a huge piece of mind to know they are comfortable while you are suffering. I don't know why, but it it. I worry my wife and kids waiting to see me finish. I can relax knowing they are comfortable.

They get food, drinks, VIP bling. It's good to splurge on them. Also, if you pop for the "they get to put your medal on experience", the WTC does a good job of keeping them up to speed on your progress so they can deliver them to the finish line at exactly the same time you arrive at the line.

Plus, you get access as well after the race. The food is much better than the athlete tent. After a shower, I went back both times and relaxed there to cheer for the 17 hour finishers.

If you can pull it off, I HIGHLY recommend it. I will have my family in the tent at Placid this year....
  • Options

Thanks for all the input it's been helpful.  My wife will be with my son who is 3, I figure it would make things easier for her throughout the day.  For races where there is a big EN presence do families and friends ever gather to cheer?  In a past triathlon club I've been in there was a designated spot for the club where friends and family could go.

• Options

Yes there are options to gather with other EN Sherpa's at LP.  there is typically a large EN presence there and looks to be another sizable group again this year.