Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Boulder 140.6

Training for my first 140.6.  Anyone done this race before? Course advise or tips?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Zack,

Hover over the "Resources" menu, then "Master Racing Pages" then "Ironman Boulder". You'll find race reports in there.
  • Options

Mark Cardinale and Ed Eovino would be good resources.....

• Options

I also noted you are from McKinney.....I live near US 380 and Stonebridge ranch road in McKinney as well.    Reach out when needed......

SS

• Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks - yes, very helpful.
  • Options

Cool - small world!

Do you ever ride with the Cooper rides on Sat. mornings? My riding buddy is out of town this week.  Will probably ride with them Saturday @ 7:30. 

• Options

Cooper usually doesn't get started until 7:30 a.m. or so.  When a get outside and do my long rides I like to be out by 5:30 or earlier most of the time given the heat.

I do think there are advantages to be gained from riding with bikers stronger than you, definitely one way to get faster.

Another issue I have is sticking with the group speed when I am focused on hitting specific watts for interval work.  Within 10 weeks of an IM race, I am typically riding by myself.  Outside of that window, it would be really nice to have some company like the Cooper fitness group.

SS

• Options

Hey Zack - I've done this race in 2014 and 2015 and will do it again this year.  I also ride the bike course all the time.  It's fast and rolling and tons of fun.  They are reordering some of the segments this year to put more of the hills at the beginning vs the end.  That means if you over cook those hills, which will be easy to do as they come in the first 20 miles, people will pay dearly at the end.  I'm planning to pass a TON of people on the 2nd lap.  The swim is calm but murky.  Last year was the first time ever the swim was non-wetsuit.  In all likelihood the swim should be wetsuit legal, but it will be close so prepare for both.  The run course, the way it lays out is tough.  Two loops with 3 out and backs.  Toughest part is about a 6 mile stretch uphill from miles 18-24.  Last 2 miles are downhill and the finish is on 13th and pearl, right in the heart of downtown boulder.  Expect hot and dry conditions.  Winds is usually not much of a factor.  Any specific questions let me know.  Like i said, i have lots of experience as i have done the IM and 70.3 races here for years.

• Options
    Thanks Mark...very helpful.