Home General Training Discussions
Options

Retirement, Endurance Sports and Work after Retirement

My investment advisor informed me recently that I can retire any time now.  Given that I'm 61 that means I will need to secure private insurance for a few years before Social Security and Medicare kick in.  

So I let my full-time employer know that I'm going to retire in 6 to 12 months, and will be looking for part-time work to fill the time and fund private insurance for a few years.  I could continue in the same field I'm in now (Information Technology Technical project management), but I'm not sure that's what I want to do.  

It would be a lot of fun to center my employment around the whole endurance sport life, since I do enjoy that very much.

Any ideas from the team?  What do you see out there as possible options.  It could be local or remote/online.  Even seasonal with some travel would be OK.

Comments

• Options
    Speaking as a financial kind of guy, I wouldn't retire unless I could hold off taking SS not earlier than the min full retirement age (66.5 for me). However, you can work from almost anywhere in IT, but I would guess that most employers want full time people for project management. You may need to de-scope your resume and seek a more technical, less managerial work that can be performed off-site.

My wife is 12.5 years younger than me so I'm not in any hurry to retire since she'll still be working. But when I'm done and my youngest is out of college and on her own, she wants to try for a 1 year contract job teaching Business English in Iceland. I'm all in for that! I went to 7th and 8th grade there and we just spent our "spring break" in Iceland two months ago. If you are mobile, then you might look for some sort of adventure!! Good luck.
  • Options

Fully agree Paul on delaying SS application!.  That's the plan and I can financially support it.  Virginia is 62 and continues to work 2 days a week.  A perfect solution for me would be to work when she works (mid week) and have our long weekends to ourselves.

Heard yesterday of my son-in-law (a school principal) picking up some extra cash by doing cycling training.  I was jealous!  I'm a better cyclist!  That's the kind of retirement work I need.  

Another son-in-law is president of an IT company that does mostly IT infrastructure work for schools.  Not sure how I feel about working within the family so I have not approached him.  His work is very cyclic, usually being overwhelming during the summer months so maybe I approach him to fill in when he has needs.

• Options
    The most valuable thing on this planet is "TIME".... You simply can't put a value on time... Life is too short to do things you don't want to do ... I think so many people convince themselves they need just a little more or they really enjoy what they are doing and just keep working... Make sure you ask yourself some good questions and answer them honestly...

I was lucky enough to be able to retire at 51 and just turned 54...It was a great job and I enjoyed it but in the end it was a job...I retired at the absolute minimum and on the day I was eligible.... Never looked back, never regretted it, everyday I feel extremely lucky... I train , eat, and sleep when I want (this is huge to me as I spent 21 years doing rotating shift work and never having weekends off as RDO's) Sleeping at night when its dark out is the S#!T .... Recovery is the secret sauce to being retired (not the training)...

Working after retirement- If its for money the best thing to do is stay in the field you make the most for the least amount of time = IT.... If its to fill time and subsidize (not really get paid) then pick something of interest... Work in a bike store ? Gym ? Get involved with coaching? Nutrition? Local Tri-clubs or races?
  • Options
    Congrats!

Completely agree with Tim - if its money, stay in the IT field. If not, find something you love doing or have an interest in and choose that. I knew a guy who worked for Ironman and he flew around the world helping set up events. He said it was grueling work, but fun too - he was also in his early 20's at the time to..... Doesn't necessarily have to be endurance sports either.

Could always do IT for EN, just say'in........
  • Options
    Congratulations Pat.  I'm sure you have put a lifetime of hard work into getting to this place and you deserve to enjoy yourself.  These are exciting times and fun questions to ponder.  Aside from being jealous, I think Tim's perspective is spot on.  You have earned the TIME to do whatever you decide.  And if you change your mind after a period of time, that is OK as well...
  • Options
    Totally agree with Tim! My wife and I are 66 and 63 and have been retired for 11 years. Best thing we ever did!! Life flies by and I could get hit by a bus tomorrow! Now our life is sleeping later, (recovering better), training when we want and our kids and grandkids. I walked out the door at Pepsi after 30 years and never looked back. Get a job delivering flowers or at Home Depot for gas money and enjoy!!!
  • Options
    Totally agree with all of this. Unfortunately, I am unable to retire anytime soon (52) but I run my own business and can often do a lot of my work remotely which allows me to SBR at various times of the day. It also allows me to take a fair amount of ski trips, bike trips, etc... I'm working on moving from recruiting to exec coaching which will really allow me more flexibility over the next few years.. 
  • Options
    I'll be able to early retire in 7 more years (~51), but don't plan on doing so because leaving earlier than I need to will limit my retirement availability and access to healthcare. I do not plan on working until I'm 66 though, and what I'll do is exactly what is mentioned above...find a part time gig doing something I enjoy. I already coach triathlon and running, mostly with a local club here in DFW, but I'm not opposed to some part-time side job to help supplement the bill paying.

Not wanting to get on a soapbox here too much, I sure hope everyone is doing what they can to review their retirement plans as much as they can! Don't wait to save!
  • Options
    Congratulations Pat!!
  • Options
    I'm 66 and will be retiring at end of December, my spouse is 64 and she too will be retiring.
    I hope to continue to compete in triathlon's although my times have fallen off this year.
    Age and fatigue factor. ? not sure
    going to Calgary 70.3  this week to race then enjoy Banff, Canada.  
    I am OK with my retirement, we have health and my Military Retirement.
    4 grown children and 8 grand kids, I say race if you can, and enjoy time at each race venue as a mini vacation, spouse approval of course. Good Luck Pat and all. 
    Eugene