Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Bill Schleining's Micro

Coach,

Leading up to IMLP camp and race- looking for any "tweaks" to get better on the bike in these last few weeks. Especially concerned as my bike times at the Quassy Half were virtually identical to last years, despite having been more consistent in doing trainer workouts in this years out-season and  getting miles in this spring. 

At Quassy, after deducting 40 minutes due to two flats (I'll be practicing my technique to get that down), my riding time this year was 4 minutes slower than last year. Some of that would be due to taking the wet downhills slower & wind.  On the uphills my times were almost identical. For example, on the long 8 mile uphill my speed still averaged only 8.5 MPH. My time last year was 48:24 w/ ave. HR of 121. This year in the same stretch it was 47:46 w/ HR of 126.

Anything I should plan on doing differently at camp (like skip 2nd loop on Fri or Sat and to do hours of only long hill repeats)?

Anything after camp- do more intervals/less z2 rides?   Any exercises to build strength?

Comments

• Options
    Bill, sorry I missed this...here's what I think...

I'd rather you ride the course 2x on Fri and Sat to get better at riding this course. There are places where there is plenty of speed to be had when you work in the right places and rest on the other ones. The more time you are out here, the better you'll get at that.

It's not the best idea to compare times across a year. Numbers that matter more to me (without power):

+ Your Body Comp this year vs last year
    + How you Rate your Nutrition Plan / Execution
    + Your last 6 miles of running This Year vs Last Year

After camp, it's hard to say...we can see how you feel. Quality biking (4-5 hours) on tough courses is good, and will keep Placid in a good place, but I want to be respectful of your life / body....let's discuss at camp this weekend!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Have been on maintenance since Aug 2016 after finishing IMLP. I knew 2017 would not have time or budget for big events. Instead had daughters wedding, new job responsibilities, home maintenance. During 2017 I continued running, but weekly average only 2-3 days per week, total 15-20 miles. Minimal bike or swim.

Net result- gained 25 pounds, skipped the NYC marathon for first time in 10 years. I developed "runners knee" in October when I ramped run volume back up too quickly (did an 18 mi long run in after no runs longer than 6 in previous year. Stopped running and eventually went to a MD . Doc says meniscus is OK, knees just irritated, I have the start of arthritis , and I have to get my weight back down. Will end up with 3 months of no running at all. Now doing PT for knees. I am on bike trainer & swimming. Expect to start running again mid January but will need to start with low volume and build back slowly.

Going back to IM Lake Placid (for 4th time) in July 2018 (paid for race & house rental back many months ago), and need that kind of a big goal to keep me motivated.

Training for 2016 IMLP I had focused on swim and bike and saw good improvements in both as compared to 2014, 2015. 2016 run was awful, but due to being very nauseous from run start to finish, a problem I had never faced before (will need to look at that in more detail later). Total time result was about the same as previous years. So, I'm thinking worse case is that even if I can't get back in full running shape and need to walk I'll be no worse off than last time, and maybe a bit better if I can further improve bike and swim. But I am realistic (at the moment) that I'm basically starting over again. Dreams of placing as I age up into 60-65 have stopped and now I hope to at least break out of the slowest 10% (although it always has been fun to come in during the last 30 minutes).

So to sum up- I can't run until mid January, will need to build up slowly. Even if the knees feel good I may try Al Truscott's "old folks" hack of more days between hard efforts Biking & bike focus will be OK. Can front load swimming volume & do swim camp earlier than a usual outseason.

Looking forward to being active on the team again. 

Your Races

Main Race:

• Ironman Lake Placid (2018-07-22) #IMLP_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018

• On 4/30/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Full to end on 7/22/2018

• On 7/23/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/19/2018     

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/x3vrvtv8a7?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=400

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited November 21, 2018 9:15PM

@Bill Schleining -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Hey man, I hope you are doing well. Great to hear from you especially since it cleared up the mystery about your finish at Lake Placid. I remember you saying you didn't have the fitness from years prior for the run, but I didn't know you had a plan to drop out!

I think your year is perfect. You learned some great lessons from last season, including the value of consistent writing and swift. That is absolutely something you want to continue this year. There's a tension between the quality work you want to do in the winter out season and the volume required to build your endurance up to Ironman levels. As such, you are welcome to use the bike focus plan and to continue supplementing that volume as needed. This will also, incidentally, help you with the body composition.

As you know, improving the run is a much longer-term project. It's not something that we want to rush and we should plan on having you just about ready for Connecticut with some consistent running in the 25 to 30 mile per week range starting around May. In other words, we have almost 6 months to build up to that point. I still want the consistency, and you're welcome to keep that "fun race" each month. But we don't want to get too crazy about the volume just yet. We need to keep some room for that bike to do its work.

Another simple way to help promote body composition changes is working in some strength training. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it is very metabolically effective. We have a functional strength program in final surge that's available to you now, and you can "overlay" it on top of any other plan you're using. Or you're welcome to propose your own and we can use that as well. I think it will really help you to develop some additional upper body muscle mass to match all the work that your legs are already doing.

We will build you to Connecticut then transition you to the short course plan to make you fast for New York City. Then it's recover and prepare for tough men at the end of the year, looks like it's gonna be great to me!

Your Races

• 06/02/2019 Ironman 70.3 Connecticut
    • 07/21/2019 New York City Olympic  
    • Toughman Half NY on Sept 15 2019

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/21/2018
    • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/16/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 06/02/2019
    • On 6/3/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/21/2019
    • On 7/22/2019 Load the -- EN*Half Run Focused to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019

Your Notes

3X IMLP finisher. + 2018 IMLP dropped out of run at 13.1- per pre-race decision in recognition I was not fully trained. Did have best bike split of all 4, credit to Zwifting in OS. Since July have averaged 1 10K/13.1 run race per month.

20 lb over racing weight. Running 10-20 mi per week/ 2-3 days. Bike on trainer 1-2 days per week. 

Ready to pick up volume again, get back in shape for a full IM in 2020.Have picked NYC Triathlon Olympic July 21st as A race. Have always raced it as easy / training (it's always 1-2 weeks before IMLP). 1 mi swim- with current - in 18 Min, 25 mi bike- moderate hills- at 16mph. 10K rolling hill run @ 11:00 pace. Have always finished in top 30% of my age group. Would like to see how I can do as an a A race.

Will also do Quassy Half June2, and Toughman Half NY on Sept 15 2019.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P