Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Update from Matt Aaronson

Howdy EN gang... many of you will remember Matt Aaronson, one of the real studs of the Haus, and a former WSM.  He ran into some injury issues and recently left EN as he has to deal with coming back from that.  He and I communicate off line from time to time and he had an update that he wanted me to pass along to his EN friends.  It follows below.

If you want to get in touch with Matt, send me an email at wsjinames@gmail.com, and I'll give you his address.

I thought I'd share an update on my surgery recovery, which you can feel free to post on EN. As you may remember, my last run was at IMWI and the hip surgery was in December. Beginning 6 weeks ago I started a 6-week run-walk program designed to return injured runners to be able to tolerate running again. Tomorrow is supposed to be the first day of a nonstop 30' run, and to this point here has been no more than 4' of running without a walking break. So to "graduate" from this program (and with the endorsement of my physiotherapist), I signed up for a local 5k race with a few thousand of my closest friends. Overall time was 19:14 (on a slightly short course). No running for more than 4' at a time started to really show up in the third mile when my endurance failed, but overall it was an encouraging run. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1200021645

My hip feels good 95% of the time, although the hernia diagnosed at the same time as the hip issue will probably require surgery and bothers me a lot. We'll see how that unfolds now that my "return to run" program is completed.

In terms of the rest of the "season", I continue to double-down on work and family. I hopped into the pool on Friday for the first time since IMWI. That said, I just bought a second home in Michigan just a bit south of the Steelhead course, so I'm thinking of signing up and seeing how things go…

Comments

• Options
    I might need a run/walk program. I have not been able to crack 20 minutes for a 5k.... image
  • Options
    Yes! I too want to run sub 20' on a 4' run walk program. For some reason, the 25-35mpw isn't getting me anywhere near 20! Good to hear that the hip problem seems close to being resolved, but I think Matt should get the hernia repaired, then do another run walk program, and THEN start the road back. Would suck to get close back to form and then start all over again for the hernia.
  • Options
    That's awesome news and just goes to show what kind of athlete Matt A is.  I wonder how hard he's running those 4' segments? 
  • Options
    Matt's been getting lots of medical advice. Some of you may know that he had some problems that weren't easily diagnosed at one point. I can't speak for him, but I'm sure that he's making a considered decision on the whole hernia thing. Wish I could comment in more detail.