Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

Suggested Hotels for IMTX 2017

I'm planning on registering for IMTX 2017 when it's open and I'm wondering if anyone has suggested hotels to stay at. Maybe something close to the finish line that my wife could walk to. Or maybe something within walking distance of the start and the finish line. I've heard there are some packages you can buy from groups that would take care of your bike and family but don't know the names. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Keith - not a bad idea to plan ahead but don't presume that The Woodlands will be the venue. After all, there is a reason that they did not open registration the day after IMTX 2016. WTC gave The Woodlands an ultimatum to lock down a course "by mid-June." There is a lot of horsepower working to keep it there, but if they can't pull it off, it's moving. Where and when is the $64K question.
  • The Woodlands was given this coming Wednesday as the deadline to have an approved bike course. Not sure it's going to happen! I like the course and venue a lot and would be disappointed if they couldn't get this figured out.

This year we stayed at the new Westin Hotel which was 100 yards from the finish line and loved it. The host hotel, the Marriot is also very good and also right at the finish line. If you stay a couple miles from the downtown area then rates fall quite a bit. One of my friends did a VRBO this year and had a great experience.
  • Assuming IMTX in the Woodlands is on for 2017...

We stayed at the Marriott hotel for three IMTX events; it is very easy to get to, it is a terrific hotel with great rooms. Its convenient but its also very pricey especially for the actual race weekend. The food there is also expensive so it ends up being a significant part of the cost of the race for us.

In 2016 instead we stayed at the Hyatt Place hotel slightly out of town which was less than half the price of the Marriott and honestly the rooms were just as nice. However for convenience it sucked, no sidewalk for 50% of the walk into The Woodlands for the expo, registration etc. If I did it again I would definitely go to another hotel out of town and save the significant cash difference vs the Marriott
  • I stayed at the Residence Inn Market Place on Six Pines Drive.  I had no issues walking to the swim start or stumbling back after the race.  It is close to all the action, restaurants and the HEB grocery store.  You also get your own kitchen, which can help save some money over 3 or 4 days.  I'd stay there again. 

There is also a Residence Inn on Lake Front Circle, but its a bit more of a haul. 

• Last year (2015), we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Conroe, 15 minutes north. Reasonable price and the distance was never an issue. No issue driving to the start on the morning of the race; was close enough. This year (2016), since all the kids came, we rented a condo in the woodlands (via VRBO.com). It was very nice with a pool and we stayed a few extra days to enjoy the warm weather and shopping. Was probably the same price 4 room-nights at the Marriot!