Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training June 20 - June 27

GUESS WHAT IM MOO TEAM?

You are NOW officially in Ironman Training!

At 12 weeks out from Wisconsin, Coach Rich and Coach Patrick have now crowned and officiated you into IM world. Most of you are coming off Get Faster plans or Run Focused... maybe even swim focused, (or nothing at all) .. some of you tested in the last couple weeks and now it is official. The great thing about Endurance Nation Ironman training is, you don't have to kiss your family friends and coworkers goodbye for the next 12 weeks. With effective training for the "everyday athlete" you should still have time for a life outside of compression socks and power meters!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page.  CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  

Thanks for checking in and introducing yourself!! So now lets hear it, make some noise.... Any questions for the team?

Like my picture reminder says.... MAKE SURE TO REST! As the 5th discipline in IRONMAN training, it often gets overlooked. Remember to rest. Your body (and your family) will thank you!

Don’t forget to post on your workouts and keep us in the loop! If you have a pic or video to post remember to use #EN4Keys! Hope everyone is on STRAVA.... we know KMF is (and aren't you guys and gals SUPER lucky to be training with Shaughn.... he has motivation in spades) Let’s seem some SWEAT! HERE WE GO!!

#EN4Keys

Comments

• Options
    Just got word from Garmin. They received my defective 910 and the new one will be shipping soon - can't wait! Swam this morning and of course I can't keep track of my laps. Think I swam around 2,400 - 2,500 yards: 400 WU, 5x100 all speed focused, 2x300, then another 5x100 focused on speed then a 300 to finish. I deviated from the prescribed plan.....

Monday's I'll focus more on speed work with total yardage to range between 2500-3200 yards. Friday's I'll focus on endurance sets, which will be 3,000 plus yards. In a few weeks, I'll move my Friday morning endurance swims to the beautiful lake front of Chicago, Ohio Street beach. I can get 2 mile non-stop swims in without the bordem of a pool. I'll follow the EN plan, but will deviate from time to time...
  • Options

Mariah, thanks for getting us going.  When I woke up this morning I just felt like something was different.  It is time to get ready for Wisconsin.  I might even join Instagram in order to get some pics up on the sight.  Good luck to all

• Options

Hi all!  Mariah thank you!

Had a good BIG DAY Saturday in Extreme heat.  Planned for the heat, drinking Gatorade Endurance the evening before and eating salt pills for desert basically.  Started the day as early as I could when the 50M pooled opened at 5:30 a.m.

Drank a bottle of sports drink before, during and after the swim followed by a banana in T1

Swim:  https://www.strava.com/activities/612790590

Biked 4 hours: https://www.strava.com/activities/613140886

Drank ~2 gallons of Gatorade Endurance laced with salt pills during the bike and peed a little bit only one time.  Checked my phone and it said heat index was 105 on bike dismount.  

Ate a banana in T2 (Mistake - was too damn hot to eat anything solid at that point)

Took a quick dip in pool to cool down CORE body temp.

Ran 6 miles using Z1/Z2 HR targets: https://www.strava.com/activities/613233293

Started having GI issues at mile 3 of run given banana/heat combo - should have gone to water with salt.......Heat index showed 112 degrees at finish......tough day....

Nothing like a BIG DAY to wake you up and focus you on the work that needs to get done over the next cycle.

SS

• Options
    @ Todd - yes, I almost said F'it this morning, but thought, wait I have 12 weeks, get up!

@ SS - thats just a training day? Wow, I'm impressed. Solid!
  • Options
    Thanks Mariah...burning up here in the desert and love the encouragement!
  • Options

Good morning peeps!

@Chris - glad you're here.  Just following what was on the schedule for last weekend........nice big piece of humble pie!

Hope all are well and settling in.

2 runs and 2 swims done to start this week so far.  Doing the runs first, early a.m. to avoid the rising temps during the day and swimming when I can find the window of time.

Trying to get my head wrapped around that Z4 bike work for tomorrow morning 

Looking forward to reading this team's daily posts!

SS

• Options
    Ran 5 miles this morning so that puts me at 1 swim and 1 run.

@SS - for those VO2 Max intervals that are planned for tomorrow, I deviate from the plan and do Sufferfest's Revolver instead. 15 intervals at 1 minute each of pure pain. Quick 45 minute set, actually it takes me an hour cuz I have to rest between those painful sets.
  • Options

@Chris - strong work bro and good dialogue here.  In my book, work is work, no matter what combination.......it is likely we will both have similar TSS scores for tomorrow's bike work though our interval approach may be a little different.

As we get closer to race date we want the nature of that work to more and more approximate how our fitness will be applied during the race....hence RR1, RR2, long runs, etc.....

SS

• Options

Time to be accountable.  Sunday, I raced a Local Olympic race and placed first in my age division (yeah, there were only 33 in the whole race, but I will take it).   I haven't had the same mojo I had last year and have struggled to get going.  I took Monday off as a recovery day, since the 10k run was in super hot weather.   Got my butt up today for a swim (5am, yuk).  Got it done though.  www.strava.com/activities/61664333

I was happy with my swim, didn't get the last 400 or cool down in because I was getting to be late for work, but I got it done! 

I'm sitting here not wanting to run, but I will because I just asked my wife to run with me later tonight.  Won't be z4, but it will be running. Looking forward to the Bike tomorrow.  It's on!  Keep posting.

• Options
    Good morning all, I feel like I have been in reset mode since coming back from the epic Truscott Snowmass Camp / Ragnar. Needed a week of recovery. Then had a non sports related injury occur that shook me up all of last week combined with a mini taper for an OLY on Saturday. Great OLY, now back at it FULL force. I Have IMLP in 4 1/2 weeks, planning on 3 Huge weekends coming up before the final taper and they are going to be epic!
    Planning on leaving office early today to nail my bike & run... Looking forward to seeing everyone stoking the fires in here!
  • Options
    @ Scott - you are way motiviated than me. Wow!

Well bike WO this morning didn't go great - only made 12 of 15 intervals. Started to fade bad at interval #10 so I dropped the intensity by 10% and still couldn't get the legs to turn well. So I called it quits at #12. 12 minutes at Zone 5 isn't so bad though.

Big rains and storms here today. Hope they clear in time for tomorrows long run

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Options

Welcome Stephan!

Glad your in SD!  You've already put a lot of hay in the barn for IMLP and capping it off with a strong 3 week build should set you up for a strong race bro!

@Chris - way to get it done this morning!  Not easy to get up early and push V02 intervals like that.  "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"  Anyone want to guess who said that?

"Do you think my muscles have anything to do with me being faster and stronger?" Morpheus, The Matrix.

Bike work this morning done: https://www.strava.com/activities/617199938/overview

Found my dark place.....

Carry on all!

SS

• Options
    Nice work SS

JFK - that was easy, haha
  • Options
    Chris named the quote!  Have a great, safe day all!
  • Options
    So excited the IMWI mojo & training threads have started! I've walked into the office with wet hair 2 out of 3 days this week, subtly letting all my coworkers know that Ironman training has arrived.

I came into this week after a 70.3 on June 11 followed by an "unstructured" training week last week. I rolled my ankle @ mile 7 of the half, and it's fine just a little tender but my 2 runs this week have been a bit shorter and easier than the plan. I'm feeling ready to go for tomorrow's long run though!

Good luck to everyone on the bike work today!
  • Options
    All good work.  A long night at work left me a little shelled this morning.  Not to mention ocer 11,000 yrds of swimming in the past three days.  So since I will not be able to do my sweat test this weekend I decided to have a little fun, a boring 1 hour trainer ride.  Not AS MUCH fun as those intervals but I'll take it.  I'll try to post my results as a frame of reference for those who also need to do it.   Just done with work and off for a little run.   Keep up the good work.
  • Options

Feeling good about getting my motivation back.  Got in a lunch run on the treadmill 45 minutes, and hit the trainer this evening.  I have lost some FTP, and could not hit the numbers solidly.  Also struggled to do the full VO2 intervals, but gave it my best shot.  Feel good overall and know that things will improve.  Work Works.

• Options
    Ride done this evening outside. Unfortunately, rode right by a bike accident crime scene that looked pretty brutal. not sure of the details, but the bike was wrecked and it was tough to see the persons cycling shoes yards apart on the ground. Felt off after seeing that. Stay safe out there everyone!
  • Options
    That's terrible, Lindsay. Glad you stayed safe, and hopefully we all can.

Did my ride on the trainer since it was late. The third low Z5 interval after the Z4s was tough, but made it through, which made me feel good given my lack of sleep due to long work hours so far this week. Ran on the 'mill afterwards for only 30 minutes, but got it done, partly because I didn't want to say otherwise here.

Great work, all!
  • Options
    @SS - GREAT quote!
    @Chris - easier to be THIS enthused when you have a great group here in the IMWI Haus (having another IM looming 4.5 weeks also helps!)
    @lindsay - not sure I could have kept going... I am a HUGE proponent of bike lights. Not saying they are going to save, you but they do help. Check out Knogs, very lightweight... Don't want ^^That^^ happening to anyone here!

this was actually written last night for the LP forum - it's now Long Run Thursday AM!!!

Not the best workout day... wasnt motivated to get it done in the morning despite being up and being cool out at 4:45... Went to the office early, came home, on the bike.. Felt like I kept nailing better and better #s over the last 2 impromptu FTP tests in the last two weeks and that I ought to try again... Especially after riding a theoretical .97 IF on a very hilly OLY course on Saturday. Well, i found the limit.. hit the first interval at 269... started the 2nd after 5 minutes it became apparent I wasn't going to hold it for this interval... should have backed off and finished the interval at a lower #, but just mailed it in.. Kids going to camp this week, so I had to meet them for dinner before running... rested run legs for tomorrow... #dawnpatrol
  • Options

Sometimes you are the hammer & sometimes you are the nail... this morning I was the hammer (for a change)!

Felt good in mile one (felt like shizz in mile 16) but got 'er done.. Feeling confident about my intended race day pacing for LP in 4 .5 weeks... Two(or is it three?) more Long runs left before the taper... now to address that bike volume

16.8 miles - https://www.strava.com/activities/618224569
  • Options
    Nice work Scott

Run was tough this morning, but got 7.7 miles in - I was/am very tired, it was super humid out and I drank to much milk the night before..... No way I'm running tonight - I'd rather rest.

• Options
    Hi Gang!

Checking in - getting back to business - after being out this weekend getting married... Yesterday's Bike was good although a setup problem with TR on the iPad and my KICKR had me at 10% less power - maybe it was a good way to 'ease' back in to gear after being off since Saturday morning. This mornings run was HUMID, almost like swimming - but I am up for this evenings run. This weekend I have some moving to do, but I WILL get the essential 'Sweat Test' done -and- get some saddle / run time. Hope to be fully back to schedule next week.
  • Options

@Mike,  congratulations and best wishes!

This was the first time I've done two runs in a day.  It went well I think.  Got in about 11.5 miles altogether.   I don't remember these from last year.  

• Options
    My 2nd run went well - but I was not able to hit my paces... I was naturally settling in 1 min/mile faster than I should have been, I need to work on pacing...
  • Options

Run done!  Feel I have adjusted to the heat and that helped.  Good job all!

• Options

Posted By Mike Brand on 23 Jun 2016 08:12 PM

My 2nd run went well - but I was not able to hit my paces... I was naturally settling in 1 min/mile faster than I should have been, I need to work on pacing...

Making sure I am reading this right, not hitting paces in this case meant "cannot slow down?"

personally, sometimes your body out - performs (though it's rare with this plan). For instance, I went out yesterday and just ran what "felt right" and knocked of 17 miles at a much faster pace than i thought I could/ should. Take it when it is there, BUT, focus on what your HR is in those situations. Learning how your body handles this stuff is half of figuring out how to execute on race day! Great learning day and run!

• Options
    Got the split run done with about an hour break between. First half outdoor in 105+ heat index; unlike Alan, I'm not sure I'm adjusted, but my paces were only about 1'/mile slower (not faster like Mike) than 60-70 degree weather. Second half indoor on TM was back to a more reasonable pace, with only a little struggling toward the end. I'll enjoy a little lighter day today before sweat testing Saturday.
  • Options
    Looks like everyone is if off to a strong start - let's keep it up for the next 12 weeks or so. Let's stay safe on those bikes too!

Got some good sleep last night and swam 3,000 yards this morning - stuck to the planned WO. Average pace was 1:29/100 yds. Been real happy with my swim this year. Last year I really wasn't motivated in the pool at all.

• Options

Good morning team and Happy Friday!  North Texas checking in.

Very happy with all the post and impressed with the work getting done for Split run Thursdays!  Every post/update strengthens the team as a whole.  Very important to keep those coming.  At a minimum they help me and I am sure those posts help many others as well.

6 days in a row of running since last Sunday.  Split runs yesterday and one this morning complete.

Thursday morning at 85 heat index: https://www.strava.com/activities/618177831

Hit all the zones based on HR given the heat/hills.

Thursday evening: https://www.strava.com/activities/618922082

Exceeded TRP pace of 9:00 (TT set 2 weeks ago on a flat track @ 88 degrees) and average 8:42 on hills at 92 degrees but it hurt.

Friday durability: https://www.strava.com/activities/619216009

Woke up stiff and hungry so had a banana out the door and enjoyed running with Andrew, my 13 year old for this one.

Swim left for the day with a focus on hydrating, staying off my feet, eating well and getting ready as able for that bike ride tomorrow!

Keep leading all!

SS