Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Long Ride on Mountain Bike?

What are your thoughts on doing 3 weeks of long rides (Saturday/Sunday) on a mountain bike?  Obviously, I know it is not ideal.  However, I am coming at it from a safety standpoint and the fact that I am not familiar with the area that I will be riding the next 3 weekends (I will be out of town at my fiancee's parents).  There is a crushed limestone trail that spans about 35 miles that would be perfect to ride.  It has been a little bit of a rough year for me training (injuries and such) so my time for LP at least on the bike won't be anything special.  I am pretty confident in my endurance at this point (just rode 100 this past weekend and felt fine) and I should still be able to get the mid week bike on my tri bike.  

I know the trainer might be an option as well...just not sure I am that mentally strong 

What do you think?  

Comments

• Options
    That's what I'd call a "gravel grinder" around here. Pushing a MTB (weighs almost twice as much as a road bike) along gravel/crushed rock for 35 miles is akin to pushing a road bike on the road at least ~1.5 times as much the distance; they're crazy hard! I LOVE IT!

However, unless you're going pretty slow, your long ride won't be too "easy" effort/heart rate-wise, so just keep that in mind. A few weeks of intensity couldn't hurt though!
  • Options
    I've been working in MTB rides this season, usually as the ABP ride on the schedule. And I'm loving it. As you point out, it's nice not to constantly look over your shoulder for cars. It is different enough from the tri bike that I feel like it almost acts as a recovery ride because the varied cadence -- at a minimum, it's a welcomed mental break from the grind of riding aero for hours on end. It also is more of a full-body workout with the core and arms getting in the mix.

Perhaps consider doing at least one ride per week on the bike you're planning to ride at LP so you'll have the positional fitness to stay locked in the aero bars for 5-6 hours. But otherwise I'd say enjoy the MTB rides!
  • Options

These next three weekends are you most important for IMLP. Is there no way you can ride outdoors on your tri bike? Any way to make that happen?

• Options
    Where do your fiancee's parents live? Someone on here might be able to recommend a route near there that would be tri-bike safe.
  • Options
    South Haven, Mi. Found a local bike shop that had some routes and was able to download a GPX file to my Garmin. I'll see how it goes.