Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training July 12 - July 17

Be a Scientist

MOO MOOOOOOO Hope everyone had a great BIG DAY!! Let’s hear about it!!

This week is a test week.  The coaches want us to focus on the following:

- Measure

- Gather Data

- Don’t forget to Sweat Test

When you head to an Ironman event, you will see lots of athletes suffer because they did not know something as simple as having a nutrition plan.  However- in the “haus”, EN’rs know how important EXECUTION is because we practiced and show up

prepared. Lots of little things can take a toll on you over 140.6 miles.  Having muscles be so tight on the run from poor form on the bike. Not knowing sodium totals to account for the change in temperature on the course.  Not knowing their power meter numbers, not knowing thier heart rate numbers in case power meter fails, etc. Coach Patrick has said how important it is to have multiple "A games" because so many things can change within a race. This is what we talk about when we say "stay inside your box" You can adapt and change to the things outside of your control on the course but that comes from testing, gathering data about your body, how it reacts to nutrition, heat, cold, rain etc. And those results are gathered now. Be a scientist, a student of your body as an athlete in this sport. This is another reason why posting in the forum and weekly training recaps is critical!!!

Here are the sweat test rules in case you forgot or haven't done one in awhile
1) Weigh yourself nude right before a run.
2) Run at race pace for one hour, keeping track of how much you drink (in ounces) during the run.
3) After the run, strip down, towel off any sweat, and weigh yourself nude again.
4) Subtract your weight from your prerun weight and convert to ounces. Then add to that number however many ounces of liquid you consumed on your run. (For example, if you lost a pound and drank 16 ounces of fluid, your total fluid loss is 32 ounces.)
5) To determine how much you should be drinking about every 15 minutes, divide your hourly fluid loss by 4 (in the above example it would be 8 ounces).
6) Because the test only determines your sweat losses for the environmental conditions you run in that day, you should retest on another day when conditions are different to see how your sweat rate is affected. You should also redo the test during different seasons, in different environments (such as higher or lower altitudes), and as you become faster, since pace also affects your sweat rate.

P.S. Ya'll Rock - Now go out there and crush it!

Comments

• Options

Did the same run that I ran on my Big day Saturday. Differences... didn't swim and bike and 79 degrees instead of 88. I ran progressive paces today at 1:15 faster than the BD and had almost the same HR profile.. just a few beats more. I like the call the 1:15 difference my "IM delusional zone".Meaning... I know I can run these paces... but not in an IM and you don't want to have some grandiose ideas for unattainable splits dancing in your head.

https://www.strava.com/activities/639435592/laps
  • Options
    Story of the day: My wife always seems to have some story, at least once a week, about some weird motorist bugging her. Yesterday was my turn. I was riding out to a long straight stretch of blacktop where I could do my bike test. This red diesel pickup went by me and revved up, leaving a cloud of black smoke for me to ride through. Then he slowed up, let me approach and did it again, and disappeared up ahead. A minute later I encountered him stopped, talking to a passing buddy, I assume. I could see his buddy was a young kid as he drove past. When I got to the red pickup he was still stopped and I rode past. He smoked me a third time as he drove past again and disappeared. So I wasn't surprised when I saw him far ahead, turned around on the shoulder, letting a car pass so no one would see. As he drove by he hit the accelerator, when he noticed my iPhone 6s in portrait mode in my right hand, as I gave him a wave with my left hand. Yes, I was aero. I actually didn't take any pictures or video, but the possibility was there. He came off the accelerator as he realized I had my phone on him. He left me alone and I got on with my test. I felt sluggish in the hour before the test, but I know to expect this. My brain seems to say "don't try anything crazy, OK" before big workouts. Funny how you can do more than you expect. Numbers were 290 and 252. A little disappointing, but my bike legs are still coming around and there is still time. Finished up with 4 miles of running.

One last thing: Kelsey Card is an multiple All-American thrower at UW from Carlinville, IL. My hometown. She has come out to hang with our families and watch Dave Barr and I race WI in '11 and '13. Well, she was third in the discus at the Olympic Trials in Eugene! So happy for her and her family!

Have a good swim and good luck on your long run this week.
  • Options
    @ Ed - amazing how condidtions impact performance. Good lessons to share and things we should note for race day - how weather can impact HR/pace. I log all my WO in excel and note things such as weather

@ Brian - Hope you got his plate number and called the police, jerks!

@ Everyone - I'm tired! That is all. Have a nice day!
  • Options

@ED E. - Animal!

@Brian - damn fine work finding a way to get that test done outside with many obstacles man!  Glad you made it safe as well!

Some BIG wisdom from the Race Captain post below.  During an EN IM training cycle you have 4 chances to go long before race day. 2 BIG DAYs, 2 RRs......and starting in week 15 you will also see the Long Run reinstated.  Just a very very smart plan IMO.  Other than those long workouts, everything else in based on interval work an intensities higher than those to be employed on race day to help you make fitness gains while adding long course volume week over week.  If the coaches only planned out these shorter intense interval sessions, your race day would be the first time for you, your brain and your body to understand the cumulative effects of the day, the impact of pacing, nutrition and fatigue on your body when putting it all together. For me, these days are important and I can turn off the intensity intervals and switch to long steady mode on a dime knowing what the difference is and the purpose for each of the sessions.  Race day, Big Day, RR1 and RR2 are there for you to practice executing the fitness you have at that point.

Below, the Race Captain lays out the importance of testing, sweat testing and knowing your numbers or knowing your fitness level so that you can more effectively train and practice your execution BEFORE race day shows up:

Lots of little things can take a toll on you over 140.6 miles.  Having muscles be so tight on the run from poor form on the bike. Not knowing sodium totals to account for the change in temperature on the course.  Not knowing their power meter numbers, not knowing their heart rate numbers in case power meter fails, etc. Coach Patrick has said how important it is to have multiple "A games" because so many things can change within a race. This is what we talk about when we say "stay inside your box" You can adapt and change to the things outside of your control on the course but that comes from testing, gathering data about your body, how it reacts to nutrition, heat, cold, rain etc. And those results are gathered now. Be a scientist, a student of your body as an athlete in this sport. This is another reason why posting in the forum and weekly training recaps is critical!!!

Monday was a quality swim for me in the 50M pool: https://www.strava.com/activities/637661938

Yesterday I gave myself a 2 X 20' set on the bike given I have tested twice in the last 7 weeks both coming in ~290NP.

https://www.strava.com/activities/638369216

More importantly is that I know my 5 hour power to be ~210 NP at 80 degrees after the last 3 weeks of long ride work.  210 is coincidentally .72 IF.  Now, when those temps are much higher than 80 as they were last week when I biked with temps that began at 94 and ended at 101, I know 210 is probably not going to happen.  Last week I was around 199 NP for 4.5 hours and it was just really tough the last hour with the heat.  The key here is to know where you are in terms of your ability given the conditions you are in.  I drank about 2.5 gallons of liquid and lost weight during the ride which is very much inline with my sweat test results combined with the excessive heat.

Take advantage this week to test where needed as proposed below to know your numbers and make your next block of training even more effective.

Also completed a TM run in the afternoon yesterday with 10' of incline at 3%: https://www.strava.com/activities/639012571

As Ed described below, similarly better performance with no heat, swimming or biking load.

This week's theme is KNOW YOUR NUMBERs.

Have a great, safe week all!

SS

• Options

All - a friendly reminder for those that are able and willing, I am planning  to be onsite in Madison for RR1 (C.A.M.P) arriving Thursday August 4th afternoon and Leaving Sunday August 7th afternoon.

I'll be at the downtown Madison Hyatt and have 2 queen beds for anyone else wanting to share costs and a non-snorer.

Would love to have some company and follow a general CAMP schedule of 112 mile ride / 6-7 mile run on Friday, Ride long on Saturday, Run long on course Sunday morning for those interested for all or part of this venture.

Anyone know if it is possible to swim early Friday morning?

Typically, when we do a CAMP week, I would recommend that all stay together as a team as much as possible on the first loop for Friday......

Other thoughts suggestions are certainly welcome.

SS

C.A.M.P. ========>>>  Calling All Motivated Peeps!

• Options
    I'll be there with wife and at least two KC training buddies ( EN'er Rich Beatty is one).
  • Options
    I plan to be there Friday (8/5) and Saturday (8/6) with the goal of riding 112 and run an hour afterwards on Friday and ride 2 loops Saturday. Head home on Saturday and do a 2hr run Sunday. Probably have a few non EN training buds with me as well.

• Options

I didn't realize when the ENers are at Madison this weekend...Pat Ward, Anna and I booked time to go over there to train with a load of local bike club... looks like I will be there the same time as you (Evening Wednesday Aug 3 through Sat August 6)... Let's connect on details.

• Options
    Lots of groups swim at 5:30-6:00 am in front of the terrace.
  • Options

Going to be a GOOD CAMP it appears with lots of mojo.  Damn excited!

@Mary - thanks for the swim location/time input.

I am inspired by all the runs I see getting done today on Strava!  Some good old fashion WORK taking place! 

Split run 1: https://www.strava.com/activities/640566842

Split run 2: https://www.strava.com/activities/640874897

Legs feeling confused at the moment......

Happy Thursday all!

SS

• Options
    @SS, your invite for the CAMP weekend is awesome. I won't know which way is up right now and can't commit to the week. I'm just trying to grab all your mojo to KMF.
  • Options
    Had to make some changes to my week. I was able to stay pretty consistent ... But didn't get in my 2nd run on Thursday. I did the long bike on Friday after work. I got in 83 with a little over 4K of elevation. It was a great ride... But felt like I really couldn't generate any speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/642137850

I did my ABP ride last night. I tried out a new route I created in Stava a few weeks ago.... Mistake! I didn't reach the half way point... A gas station to refill the drinks until I was 2 hours in... 7pm. I knew I was in trouble... Sun sets at 8:30. So.. New route...long day... Fear of having to ride in the dark. I pushed it... Made it home at 9:15... Dark... But not pitch black. Lesson learned... No explorations of new routes after work! The ride took 4 hours and I got 75 more miles in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/643356832

Running for the week... 5 runs totaling 30 miles

Swim... 2 so far... Hoping to get there today after work... We'll see how that plan turns out.

Week was a big one in another way. I've been shopping for a new bike recently. I wound up taking advantage of our new connection to Ventum. I'll be receiving the bike in a couple weeks. I hope to get to show it off to you all at camp week!
  • Options

Strong work all around in Week 12 Ed E.!!

Welcome to the party E. C.!

My weekend started on Friday with a long swim: https://www.strava.com/activities/641971333

Included a 1 X 3,500M set with no wetsuit/buoy......kind of mind numbing in a 50M pool but glad to see I could pull that out.

Saturday was tough.  Ran first and lost a lot of liquid at 6:00 a.m. ~84 degrees.  Tried to re-hydrate then got on the bike and did well fighting the heat / hydration through mile 70 even pushing my HR up and hitting my 75%+ interval targets.  Could not keep up with the sweat loss at this point and the bottom fell out around mile 75.  At mile 80ish had an irreparable back tire flat and called it a day with 4:12 on the clock and heat index at 102.  https://www.strava.com/activities/643024475

Sunday ran 2 miles with Andrew then went to work on the trainer (no heat) mid morning for 3:22 and did 7X15'(5'), 2 X 10'(4') @ .80 - .85

Got in some quality time without the heat but my legs were freaking tired

https://www.strava.com/activities/644364331

Glad the dust has now settled for Week 12!

Week 13 looks to be a bike focus week.  I am traveling for work to Manhattan this week for board meetings.  Stressful work week and will do what I can with the wkos and postings.  Everyone stay safe, keep your head up, keep working and, as always, keep moving forward!

• Options
    Can't imagine what that type of heat feels like. However according to the forecast, looks like I'm about to find out!

Friday I did my first OWS at Ohio Street Beach. Swam 1.6ish miles then pulled the plug. The water temp dropped about 10 degrees between Thursday and Friday as the winds shifted. My avg. pace was 1:27/100 and I never felt like I was pushing myself so real happy with my swim this year.

Saturday me and some training chums drove about 90 miles west and did an organized ride. The ride was truly amazing: great roads, no cars whatsoever, and lots of hills and rollers. Supposed to ride 100, but only did 80 as my friend had to be somewhere. Peed twice and felt pretty good the entire ride. Despite feeling good, I could tell I was getting fatigue toward the end. Dummy me I left my 510 at home so I rode blind the whole way - I just used Strava. Even though I did have any stats to look at/review afterward, I did enjoy just riding and not geeking out about everything

Sunday I went for a ride and thought I could finish before a major thunderstorm rolled through. I thought wrong. It was a great ride before the storms. I stopped for about 15 minutes to let the monsoon rains pass by, by rode the remainder of the ride in the rain. During that time I rode pretty conservatively as I didn't want to slip and crash. Crosswinds were horrific! Just before the storm started I had this massive tailwind pushing me 30+MPH - that was fun!

Went to bed last night at 8:30pm and woke at 6am this morning, I feel great today!

Hoping to get a run in tomorrow evening. After last Thursday's run, I slightly injued my calf - nothing major. I think it is OK today, but want to give it another day. My calves seems to be an issue this year and have been F'ing up my run consistency since June.

@SS - enjoy Manhatten and try to stay awake for all those long meetings, haha
  • Options
    SS... Way to battle... Madison's going to feel like a victory lap after all this stuff.

Chris... You're like a porpoise!
  • Options
    Thanks Ed. Its on land where I struggle, ha
  • Options
    have to confess that i have been remiss in posting & reading. The mojo in here is seriously stoked compared to the LP forums. That said, we have a great group and I am in my taper. Looking forward to executing. Saturday, when my feet are up, will be digesting all the positive mojo in the IM-Moo forums!
  • Options

Shaughn, as mentioned by Rich, several locals from the mitten will be at IMOO that weekend.  Our crew is arriving Thursday pm and following the EN camp schedule as well.  We are staying at the same hotel as Rich and crew.  I think there will be at least 6 of us.  Looking forward to meeting up! 

• Options
    Last week we hosted our family from Cali and FL from Wednesday to yesterday, and hosted a party for 35 on Saturday. Cleaned like crazy, kept them all fed and cleaned the house daily, and yesterday was restore the house and laundry ironman. image I'm pooped. Got no riding in since Muncie 70.3 on 7/9 but back at it today. Ran twice and swam twice and did some push ups daily while family was here (none of my family does anything active...12oz curls only) hiked once for 55 minutes which really was just a wooded walk.

I have informed my better half that next year while in taper for IMLP, a cleaning company will be hired for before they arrive and after they leave. image. Love reading about all you beasts out there. I will be "cramming" for the race and hope to show up with a bit more fitness, some course knowledge and a smile!
  • Options
    It's official.... I will start swimming today :-)
  • Options
    @Rich, I thought I'd break the awkward silence of group disapproval. ??
    1. LOL.
    2. I've been there. May still be there.
    3. When you get out of the water could you tell them I'm still out there?
  • Options
    @Brian - LOL - My swimming is just not good. When I work on it for weeks and weeks, I:

1. Sneeze and itch constantly form the chlorine

2. Spend a lot of time at the gym or going to the lake

3. Swim about 1:18 to 1:20

When I blow it off and focus on the bike / Run, I

1. Spend more time biking / running

2. I don't itch and sneeze all the time

3. I swim 1:18 - 1:20

When bike + run add up close to 9hrs, I am going to become a dedicated swimming fanatic!

:-)

PS - I grew up in Robinson and Illini '89 & '92 - Oskie Wow Wow!