Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2016 IM Mont Tremblant Week 16- Rest, Run, Swim!

Week 16 Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!
Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? I loved reading about your plans and seeing some more posts in the forum!! KEEP IT UP!!!So this week has a few pretty important notes.

Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have another 4200 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine affect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that affect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50
                         25 meter pool site 1x per 25
                         OWS use judgement  
Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water
** Alternative **
You COULD just do this--- Train like you Race

Keep crushing it Mont Tremblant Crew!!!!-- so proud of you all

Comments

• Options
    Last week was familly vacation in Oregon for me, doing camp week this week, starting Tuesday.

How did it go for the others ?!?
  • Options
    I also had guests at the cabin so I reverted to the option of 112 bike/1hr run. I bagged the swim as the reservoir had "turned"(?), all the algae was floating in large clumps. I swam rhru it on Tuesday and it was rather disgusting. The bike was going ok til about 86 miles, I was achy and cranky and the wind was at its gusting 25 mph! I don't think I've had a non windy day riding. Needless to say, I was ready to get off! We ended up itch 7:26 hrs ... I wanted the 112 and time in saddle. The chip seal roads, bumps and wind will give me mental strength. I hope the roads are nice in Tremblant! It was beautiful here though...saffron or mustard field and potatoes with Tetons in the distance.
  • Options
    Jennifer: yes the roads in Tremblant are awesome, I dont think you can get a smoother road for a bike race!

burp; this morning I woke up with a back pain.. suppose to do my RR tomorrow. Swim was hard this morning as the back was hurting. I guess this is the first curve ball thrown at me during that training cycle.
  • Options

I'm so glad the roads will be nice!  I believe I read where you had done this race in the past?  It was hot??  Everything I look at shows pretty moderate whether.  I know that it can change at the drop of a hat though!  It does here in Idaho.  When in the mountains it's always possible for the colder/hotter weather to swoop in!  I was planning on using my aero wheels but bringing a standard front wheel if the winds are awaful.  Any advice on that topic?

• Options
    Hi Guys,
    Francis; I hope your back issues are short lived! sending you healing thoughts!
    Jennifer; My RR weekend July 2-4(8th) was riddled with adjustments as well. Weather had a big effect on the weekend training! But I really like the course!! I hope you will too!
    Happy to report my return to MT on Friday July 8thh was perfect training weather and I was able to get in my full two loops on the bike and a long run off the bike. This past weekend I had another century scheduled but decided 3weeks of 100+miles was a good base and decided to participate in the Rapha Metric (70miles) ride instead. So happy I did, as I had a great time and still got in the reqired training. This coming weekend I will be in LP for IMLP. I am planing on getting on the course to do my training and looking forward to volunteering as well as cheering our Team Caption Laura! And EN teammates on!! :-)
  • Options
    Hi Michelle! Ever since Mt Tremblant became a venue I've wanted to do it! It does look beautiful! This will be my final long distance triathlon so I wanted it to be somewhere I really wanted to go to! Looking forward to it then spending R&R afterwards in Wuebec City and Montreal!!
  • Options
    Glad to see you all taking the tough part of the training head on! Francis - hopefully your back isn't anything serious. I don't think its uncommon to have some nagging little things start to pop up when the hours and work increase. I know I am feeling some things here and there. I've successfully built my long bikes up to the 100+ mile mark and I've stretched the long runs out too. The work has been a bit grueling (especially with the very hot and humid weather), but I feel like I'm getting stronger. A few more weeks of the build for all of us and hopefully our bodies and minds will be good to go on race day!

My wife Heidi, also an EN member, is racing IMWI this year. The race is 3 weeks after IMMT. She will need to get a long ride in when she at MT with me to keep her training on track. For those of you who have been biking in the area recently, are you able to bike the entire course right now? She raced it last year and knows the course but was hoping she could bike it in the days leading up to our race.

Keep moving forward!
  • Options
    Last year IMMT was so warm and humid. This year 70.3 was almost the same with a 112F peak during the run with 74 dew point. We all think that Mont-Tremblant is not a warm area.. but looks like WTC brings the heat ! hah. I think Brad raced it last year, right ? Run was a total carnage last year.

Thanks for the comments regarding my back, as of now, its almost gone.. I think it might be coming from the fly back from Portland, OR to Montreal where I didnt sleep well in the plane, and only slept 4hours between Saturday and Sunday.

Brad: MT bike course can be ride all year long (except during the winter :p) It's all marked, the same for the run, the blue line is there all year long.

Happy to see that all your workouts are getting nailed!
  • Options
    112???? I'm in trouble if it's that hot!! Ugh....hydrate, sodium, ice...repeat!! Glad to hear your back is better!!!
  • Options
    112!!?? Maybe that conversion is off a little, although I bet it felt at least that hot!

Francis - unfortunately, I crashed my bike 1 week before IMMT last year and broke a bunch of bones. Not a pretty site. I went with my wife and kids to the race, watches her race (and it was HOT and HUMID!), went back to Connecicut and had surgery. This is my redemption race. My wife made me promise that I only ride the trainer in the last 2 weeks before the race this year.

Looking forward to meeting the group!
  • Options
    I pray it's not that hit! It's my redemption race too! I crashed at IM Tahoe in 2013, breaking my collar bone and tearing everything in my shoulder! My main goal is to have a good, safe race!!
  • Options

@ Brad, Hey Brad, I'll also be doing the race and my wife Carol will be in the middle of training for Kona. She is planning on doing a long ride on the course before the race so maybe she and Heidi can do part or all of it together!

• Options
    Hi Jennifer,
    It will be my first time doing IMMT and 2nd IM, I did LP last year. However I lived in Ottawa, ON. most ofmy life and have been to MT many times.
    I really like the Bike course, even parts of the HWY portionimage . The Run is very pretty and the part that is on the trail is sheltered and beautiful!
    Mont Tremblant itself is breathing and I hear the IM finish is stellar! ;-) as well the Athletes dinner is something not to be missed. I still have to look into how to RSVP and if family can attend.
    Quebec City and Montreal are stocked full of sights to see, things to do. If you haven't already checked out thier visitors websites, I highly recommend giving them a gander ;-)

• Options
    Thanks for the info Michelle and the tips!! I'll have to look into the athlete dinner...although we are traveling/racing with friends (not EN'ers) and are headed to Quebec City the next day.
  • Options
    @Turby - sounds great. I'll let Heidi know that you and Carol will be there and hopefully they can work it out to ride together. I know Heidi would welcome the company! We are planning to head up Thurs morning before the race. Maybe they can ride Fri or Sat.
  • Options
    done with camp day 1. Went well but not happy how I powered on the bike, but the run went really well.

Michelle: the run on the trail, 2nd time is really a mental game ! and yes the finish line is awesome since you are coming from uptown and going into the crowd for about 1KM, its crazy ! =)
  • Options
    Did the back cooperate??
  • Options
    Yup, rdy to repeat the 112m ride tomorrow image thanks for asking
  • Options

Sounds perfect Brad. Look forward to seeing you guys!

• Options
    day #2 done, that was harder but was able to pull out a good run. Im happy.

Week 18, 3X112M will be tuff.
  • Options
    Well done Francis! I think week 18 scares me more than the IM! LOL ;-)
  • Options
    Day #3 done yesterday, was hard, bonked on the run after 15', Was so happy to be done with the run, I managed to do 24K compare to a normal 28Km on 120' run.

Today is total rest, will probably go swim tomorrow depends on how I feel and get back on week 17 starting next Monday..... week 17OMGG!!!

Michelle: I'll probably go do week 18 in MT, need to convince my wife now hah
  • Options

Great job Francis!  I've really been struggling with the run.  I thought I had turned a corner but was much slower this week.  I guess its the cumulative fatigue setting in.  The hop to a 18 miler will be interesting...

• Options
    Yes, great job Francis! Hope you enjoyed your recovery day! :-)
    It would be great to see you at MT during our final RR .
    Jennifer, I feel the same way about that 3hr/18 mile run:-0 yikes!
    It's hard to believe we are at week 17! Hiw the heck did that happen lol

I had a great weekend training in LP and am feeling good after conquering those holds again. A good confidence booster!
    It was super awesome cheering EN teammates on as well! Expecially our race captain Laura!
    Driving in on race morning, remembering last year and doing IMLP was emotional. But also reminded me I need to start visualization how I want IMMT to go! :-)
  • Options
    Hey folks. I know that we are week 17, but didn't see a wk 17 thread. Anyway, hope the training is going well for all. I've got a fair amount of fatigue working, especially after the long workouts!

In case you haven't received it, I was emailed the athlete guide today. Hope to browse though it later. Here it is:

http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/mont-tremblant/race-info/athlete-guide.aspx?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RNeE5EVm1ORE16TmpZdyIsInQiOiJCanZkeStnaWsxXC8yR1BXaTh5eEs2TDFQTml4QVQ1cE9vZ1JGZEpLVTFEQzlDTmU2czVCeVdKRm1MN2NRMzBOc2IxMjNUNit2eFhxeXMrYkw0NTl0QUFWMHRiTHZ3MitTWUhWUVF0RW9PbVE9In0=#axzz4F3DBxP38
  • Options
    That run was brutal! But got it done, yay!so glad to have it behind me :-)
  • Options

Ouch!  I'm traveling back to California from Idaho next Friday so I switched week 17/18.  I did 92 miles and a 5 1/2 mile run yesterday and a 64 mile/2 1/4 mile today (due to thunder showers!!).  I would have capped it at 3 hours but my husband is a slave driver!!  I think he's building up SAU's!!  Great Sherpa's are always great to have!  So, I'm doing my long run next Thursday and will be in a car all day Friday with another longer ride Saturday in heat I'm not used to...hopefully they will have a cooling trend in Sacramento and it would only be in the 90's!! Good job on getting that run under your belt.  I can't believe the race is just around the corner!!