Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Let's GO!

Week 9-GUESS WHAT IM LOUISVILLE TEAM?
You are NOW officially in Ironman Training!

At 12 weeks out from Louisville, Coach Rich and Coach Patrick have now crowned and officiated you into IM world. Most of you are coming off Half Iron Plans, some maybe Bike Focus, Run Focus, ect.. some of you tested in the last couple weeks and now it is official. The great thing about Endurance Nation Ironman training is, you don't have to kiss your family friends and coworkers goodbye for the next 12 weeks. With effective training for the "everyday athlete" you should still have time for a life outside of compression socks and power meters!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page.  CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  
Like my picture reminder says.... MAKE SURE TO REST! As the 5th discipline in IRONMAN training, it often gets overlooked. Remember to rest. Your body (and your family) will thank you!
Peace, Love and Sweat!
- Your trusty Race Captain, Laura
Don’t forget to post on your workouts and keep us in the loop! If you have a pic or video to post remember to use #EN4Keys! Let’s seem some SWEAT! HERE WE GO!!
#EN4Keys  

Comments

• Options
    I feel like I am in the scene from Star Wars where Luke Skywalker says "I'm not afraid." And Yoda says "You will be."
  • Options
    Nothing conquers fear like preparedness. You have a great plan to follow... You'll get there... A little afraid... But more than ready to succeed!
  • Options

Hi all!  This will be my first Ironman.  Live in northern Illinois.  Is anyone doing the Chatanooga training camp??

Would that be too early for us to do a camp week?

• Options
    Hello Julie - I'm signed up for the Chattanooga camp. It's never too early to do a camp week! My plan is to just treat the rides as two back-to-back long rides rather than a true race rehearsal weekend.

I'm hoping people don't mind me drafting them on the bike. Hopefully it's more social than pure heads-down intense training. If Friday's ride is too much then I'll cut the Saturday ride short. Will you be there?
  • Options
    Also thinking of a Louisville trip the weekend of August 27-28 to ride the course. Not the entire route, I'd skip River Road and the early section of Route 42. If I can find a kayak guide it would be cool to swim part of the course.
  • Options
    It is appealing but I am not sure I can make it work. It is too far to drive so then I would need to fly my bike which seems like a pain. Does everyone ship their bike? Is there an easy way to do this?

• Options
    My first week of IM Plan training is in the books. Did my first ride over 56 miles, which (frankly) I was a bit nervous for. Made it though. First thing that stands out is the running, like almost every single day! The time and mileage is not that different than the GFP, but the Monday - Saturday stretch without a day off on the run is something! I guess that is what Run Durability is.

I hope everyone is enjoying themselves and the wkos. 1 week down, 11 to go!!
  • Options
    Way to go Kyle! It looks like you're crushing it on Strava - both of today's workouts already in the books - keep it up!
  • Options
    After a low volume training week leading into my 31st consecutive race at what was my first Triathlon back in 1986, last week I jump started my training with over 240 miles on the bike including an Epic Wye Quad Climb Century which finished with 117 degree heat index (https://www.strava.com/activities/650944556 ) followed by a hilly 8 mile run the day after.

Hydration/nutrition for the century ride below if you are interested:

#1 Refuel Stop for water at my mile 44 at Chruch at the WYE

#2 Refuel Stop for Gatorade (3qts) at my mile 71 at store between Roland Cutoff & Monnie Springs

Garmin showed 103 degrees at 11:30 (Heat Index at 117 degrees)

153# wgt before ride

149# wgt after ride

Consumed 18# fluids & was still down 4# so about 22# of sweat - almost 4 oz per mile:

1 x 16oz GA, 400cal Larabar/Natures Bakery bars

2 x 28oz GA

2 x 50oz Camelbak water

1 x 16oz water

2 x 28oz GA

1 X 50oz Camelbak GA

178oz GA = 11# + 1,110 cal GA + 400cal bars + 240cal 2oz honey

116oz water = 7# 

2500mg Sodium from GA

300mg Sodium from Base salt
  • Options
    @david... Executed and recorded like a real pro... Way to battle the heat and manage the nutrition through a tough day! And great bike week...

@kyle... Way to push through that milestone...

I'm in week 14 of my IM build. Showing a little fatigue after the weekend... But was able to get a small recovery swim in last night and a 7 mile run this morning to shake things out a bit.
  • Options

Great to start hearing from people.

As I read the posts, I am wondering your thoughts on additional bike volume.  In week 10 of our Beginner plan.  I have adhered fairly well to the schedule.  Does it hurt to put in some extra bike volume if given an easy opportunity?  I have a century I can do this weekend and while I wont do the whole thing, I am considering a 70 -80 mile option.  It would take about 1 hour more than our long Sat. ride because it is on a fairly hilly course (hillier than Madison).

Any thoughts?

Julie

• Options
    Julie, If it doesn't impact your workouts for next week, should be okay. Use it as an opportunity to practice nutrition/hydration that you will use for IM. Minimal stopping at aid stations but enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    D. Wonn, all I have to say is wow! Those numbers are crazy to me (and I'm speaking only to the volume). Crazy I say (in a good way).

Thanks Ed. Enjoying following you and all the others on Strava as well. Since I do not train with anyone (normally), this and Strava is the only way I can convince myself that I have training buddies.
  • Options
    Meant to say thanks Ed and Paul!
  • Options
    Kyle, virtual training partners count !!!
  • Options
    @Julie -- David's comment is spot-on. Also look at Sunday's workout and adjust accordingly. If you're going to do 70-80 on Saturday, consider skipping the Saturday run altogether. At this point in the plan, the weekend rides are more about total time in the saddle, so if you ride for 5 hours or so on Saturday then cut the Sunday ride way back and focus on Sunday's TRP run.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice.  

Just a question re the Sunday TRP run - On the beginner plan, it has a run if your Vdot is below a certain number so I havent been doing it.  I also noticed that the intermediate plan does not have a Sunday run.

What am I missing?  Or did you mean switch the Sat TRP run to Sunday??

Great getting to know all our training buddies!

• Options
    Hi Julie. My bad ... I hadn't read that note on the Sunday run, thanks! I was thinking that if you went super-long on Saturday's bike that you wouldn't want to run Saturday beforehand. Then Sunday could be a shorter bike and still allow for a quality run.
    But in looking ahead at that plan, week 11 has you running 6 days in a row with a split run on Thursday, so it may be a Sunday-morning decision based on how you feel after Saturday. Check with Coach P on the Micro Forum as well - his opinion matters more!
  • Options

Hey Team,

I am a bit worried about the camp weekends (for the beginner plan in weeks 15 and 18). I can probably execute the Friday workout, but turning around another 6 hour ride on Saturday, and then a 3.5 hour ride on Sunday will be most likely be difficult for my family schedule.There is only so much my husband will be able to absorb. 

Thank you! 

• Options

Plus it is over Labor day weekend.  Maybe you can negotiate the Friday/Sat and a shortened sunday but All day with the family on Monday.

I think the week 18 workout is odd.  It is worded as a camp weekend but I have posted a question in Micro on this as well as someone else has.  I think it is more supposed to be one race rehearsal and if you can get in another moderately long ride, that is good too.  Patrick said it is worded wrong and he was having Rich modify it but I haven't seen any changes.  The way it is worded looks like way too much work for 2 weeks before the race.  But what do I know??

• Options
    @Julie,

Thank you! Then we rinse and repeat the weekend of September 23rd, which lands me back in the thick of school. At this point, I can't prognosticate what may be going on. I can swing Friday, but Saturday and Sunday may be dicey - if my daughters pick up a sport this fall, that will be on the schedule too. Maybe I will flip to the minimalist plan that week.

I need to understand what the volume value is to all that riding?

Beth
  • Options
    Beth... The reason that volume spikes like that is that you want your ride on race day to be your easiest long ride all year. They throw these double and triple centuries into the mix to stress you... But most importantly to get your nutrition game on point. There is no way to do that without fueling right. Now that said... You may not do the whole ride... You might cut some out... But you want to do as much as you can!
  • Options
    The camp weekend provides a great boost of fitness prior to the race....and like Ed said race day will feel easy hopefully. All the additional volume is a time drain though! The second ride whether its 3hr-6hrs is money in the bank that will pay dividends later. Labor Day weekend is probably the best shot for me to get in the most volume possible but I will be juggling lots of other things that weekend as well.
  • Options
    @Ed and Steven,

Truth be told, I guess I am just super nervous about all that riding. Conceptually, I understand it. image

Appreciate all the kindness and wisdom!
  • Options

@Elizabeth

You arent alone!