Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 IMLP Training -- RACE WEEK!

RACE WEEK!

Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman Lake Placid course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"

You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.

Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.

When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.

-----------------------------------------------------

Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!

It has been an honor to be your Race Captain. I am here all week if you need to vent, have any questions etc. Please remember to sign up on the IM Lake Placid Dinner form if you haven’t already done so! Please try and make the dinner, its so great to hang out together before the BIG day! I will be there in spirit!!

Mushy part not even remotely over --- can't wait to see you all in LP 

My number 919-961-4393

DO NOT WRITE ME HERE I WONT SEE IT! If you need something, text or call - I can't wait to share your day! GROUPME will start up in a couple days and of course you can reach me on there also. 

ADMIN: TEAM DINNER INFO 

Place: Crowne Plaza, 101 Olympic Dr, Lake Placid, NY 12946

Date: July 21, 2016 

Time: 6:00pm

Thursday Evening is team dinner 

Friday morning is swim followed by MANDATORY Four Keys --- We mean it, show up, it's where you're suppose to be! 

Comments

• Options

I'm tired of this taper stuff. One 50 mile ride on a weekend just doesn't seem right.

Safe travels everyone. See you in LP.

• Options
    I've been watching my CTL drop and TSB go positive and I keep worrying that it's I tapered too soon and should have done more the past 7 days to keep those numbers more stable. I just keep telling myself to do just a little each day to stay sane mentally and sharp physically.
  • Options
    @Rob me too! TSB already very positive and skyrocketing up but will just be ignoring that. I feel good after the first week's taper so even if not quite at the tippy top peak I feel like I'll be in a good place to have a fun day out there on Sunday. C'mon wetsuit legal swim. image
  • Options
    everyone - STOP looking at numbers... most of us have been here before... the things you are worrying about will not be your margin of good race/ bad race.. just like on race day, what's done is done, now figure it out and KMF... looking forward to seeing friends new & old in LP in a few days!
    be safe!
  • Options
    @Scott, it could be worse, at least I'm not weighing myself!!! image

Question for those who have done placid before, what's the best way to athlete track? I used the irontrac app while spectating 3 years ago but it was a bit slow/delayed/crashed w heavy traffic, etc. Rev3 races have the Quarq thing you can rent, anything like that up at LP? Not obvious from the spectator guide. Or do all of you just use the website and course tracking, does that work well enough?
  • Options
    Good morning all!! Sing along with me... "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." :-)

As you prep for departure, I wanted to share a few "Do's and Dont's" surrounding Lake Placid - think of it as a unofficial tid-bits and a few "nuts and bolts" based on years of experience with this event.

1) SAY THANK YOU! Some will tell you there is a bit of animosity between locals and triathletes. Unfortunately, over the course of 17 + years, a few knuckleheaded triathletes have assumed that because they are injecting money into the local economy, it gives them unbridled permission to do whatever they want: ride 2...3... 4... abreast down Main Street; toss PowerGel wrappers along the side of the road; stop and take a "whiz" on someone's front yard... etc, etc, etc... And as a result, there are a few local folks who are not as happy with us as we are with the Adirondack Region. We are guests - and we need to act as such! When you see a person at the gas station or at the supermarket... when you cross paths with the desk staff and housekeeping crew at your hotel... when you are introduced to the waitstaff at one of the many wonderful restaurants - SAY THANK YOU! Let them know you are happy to be in Lake Placid, that you will do your best to be a great guest and that you appreciate them sharing their home and their region with you! It will provide MILES of Goodwill :-)

2) PACK FOR ALL KINDS OF WEATHER! If I have learned nothing else in Lake Placid, I have learned that the weather forecast can (and will!) change on a moments notice! There have been years when the forecast called for sunny and 85 - only to wake up and discover pouring rain and temps in the mid-50's! There have been years where the forecast has called for pouring rain and temps in the mid-50's - only to wake up and discover that there is not a cloud in the sky and by mid-day, temps are in the upper 80's! Bring cool weather gear! Bring rain gear! Bring the frickin' kitchen sink!! On Saturday, you do NOT want to be stressing while running around the Adirondack Region looking for long-fingered gloves or a Gore-Tex vest (you have 2-3 at home already... we know you do! :-) ) The local businesses do their best to anticipate our possible needs - that said, better safe than stressed and sorry!

3) DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW RACE DAY! Between the Expo and local merchants, you will find many, many new, spiffy and shiny items - any & all things triathlon related. If you have never run in "X" shoe - buying a new pair at the Oval on Friday and race in them on Sunday, just because Rinny wear them - it can be a recipe for disaster. If you have never tried "XYZ" nutritional supplement, it is safe to assume that certain sodium crystals are NOT going to propel you to a PR in and of itself! Race weekend is NOT the time to try new gear, food or toys!

4) SAY THANK YOU! (if you are confused, see #1)

5) MAKE TIME FOR YOUR SUPPORT CREW! Your family and friends have endured and tolerated many, many hours of your training, Your grandmother has listened to you talk about training...Uncle Leo, from Bayonne, NJ has watched you look at training related computer programs... Your kids have endured hours of Kona videos while you are riding the trainer... Your partner has listened to you compare wattage and HR digits in your sleep... And while it it race week, find a bit of time to thank them for their patience and understanding!

6) DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN PRE-RACE HYPE! Don't worry about what is going on around you - Stay In Your Box!

Start packing early - and travel safely folks! Looking forward to seeing everyone at dinner on Thursday night :-)
  • Options

Well said Woody!

I have been out of action much of this season nursing a herniated disk in my neck - but do plan on being in placid to cheer everyone on!  I will also be volunteering in a kayak during the swim.  Safe travels and good luck everyone!  Try to remember to slow down and take it all in - it may well be one of the most awesome weekends of your life!

• Options
    Thank you, Woody. Very wise words from a true veteran of our sport and ambassador of the beautiful Lake Placid race course itself.
  • Options
    @Carole - Aren't we supposed to be weighing ourselves 2x per day?

x2 on what Woody said
  • Options
    How about checking the weather in Lake Placid 2-3 x per day? Rereading the Athlete's guide for the umpteenth time? Do I have enough gels? Back up whatever for my backup?
    Just Kidding around. I want to be done with work today so I can finish packing and hit the road in the AM.
  • Options
    Will see y'all in a few days! Thanks for the tips Woody! My only advice to all...SMILE, it makes the suffering less painful :-)
  • Options
    I'll be in town to volunteer, cheer everyone on, and sign up for 2017. I'm volunteering at bike check in on Saturday and then ladies tent for both T1 & T2 and late night finish line 8-midnight which should be awesome!

Safe travels everyone!
  • Options
    Glad to see many posts here -
    @woody - thanks for sharing the ridiculous amount of knowledge that ranks you as the master of this course. Looking forward to finally sharing THIS course with you!
    wishing everyone a good easy day off their feet today & day of practicing good skill.
    remember if it's hot, everyone's hot, think it through before the heat affects you and manage it, hydrate, hydrate hydrate. an extra bottle of water over your head on a bike aid station (remember, wetting the neck is as or more important). on the run. 1 or 2 cups down the hatch and at least one over your head. Ice in a hat or coach P's race day bag or similar gizmo.

Looking forward to seeing a great group of Ninja's at the finish line!

• Options
    Tomorrow ! will be driving down tomorrow to see the race with my oldest daughter !