Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin

Comments

• Options
    that's a big If, but thanks Jeremy!
    for those of us doing the race, this is where you want to learn how to climb out of the saddle without spiking watts!
  • Options
    meh...nothing but a thing. Terrain Centric Execution: just ride the hill in front of you the best you can, guided by your mission to set up mile 18.

But a resurfaced Stagecoach would be awesome. I've lost many teeth to that road over the years.
  • Options
    Anyone want bet for S#!ts and giggles? $5 says the course will remain the same
  • Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 29 Jul 2016 07:50 AM

But a resurfaced Stagecoach would be awesome. I've lost many teeth to that road over the years.

Agree....a smooth stagecoach is about a decade overdue.

• Options
    And there's snakes in Lake Monona ...

Barlow would well and truly suck - I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • Options
    It seems like such a waste of mental currency to worry about a hill that may or may not be there 6-7 weeks from now. I'm kinda overwhelmed thinking about how I can add a 5 hour bike ride to my day after work tomorrow... A hill...please
  • Options

Posted By Ed Eovino on 29 Jul 2016 08:46 AM

It seems like such a waste of mental currency to worry about a hill that may or may not be there 6-7 weeks from now. I'm kinda overwhelmed thinking about how I can add a 5 hour bike ride to my day after work tomorrow... A hill...please

This X a trillion

• Options
    @ Ed - Amen!

This is good to know but I'm going to bury it in the back of my mind for now.
  • Options
    I take my bet back. Info is on Rocket Bikes Facebook page....
  • Options

Posted By Chris Ciannella on 29 Jul 2016 12:34 PM
    I take my bet back. Info is on Rocket Bikes Facebook page....

No way Chris. Pay up!!
  • Options
    From the FB page:

BIKE: Spent some time with IMWI Race Director Ryan Richards and have the real IMWI course changes. Each loop is slightly different.
    CHANGE 1: Do not turn on Messerschmidt from HWY G. Continue on to HWY 92. Take a RIGHT at intersection of HWY 92 to Mount Horeb. BOTH LOOPS.
    CHANGE 2: LOOP ONE. Cross Plains has been taken out. When you take your right onto Garfoot Rd and after the big descent, take a RIGHT onto Observatory Rd. Then take a RIGHT onto Barlow Rd. You will end up at the top of Mineral Point Rd again. Take a LEFT. Continue on through the 4-way stop sign in Pine Bluff/HWY P and go STRAIGHT. Take a RIGHT onto Old Military Rd. Continue RIGHT onto HWY J. Turn LEFT on Valley Spring Rd. Continue LEFT onto Klevenville-Riley Rd. LEFT onto HWY J. RIGHT onto Mauer Rd. RIGHT onto Timber Lane (this is the very top of Timber Lane before the big downhill descent with hard left turn). You are now back on the original IM course.
    CHANGE 3: For LOOP TWO of the IMWI bike course, you will not be doing the section of Garfoot/Observatory/Barlow. When you get to the top of Mineral Point Rd, take a RIGHT. Continue on through the 4-way stop sign in Pine Bluff/HWY P and go STRAIGHT. Take a RIGHT onto Old Military Rd. Continue RIGHT onto HWY J. Turn LEFT on Valley Spring Rd. Continue LEFT onto Klevenville-Riley Rd. LEFT onto HWY J. RIGHT onto Mauer Rd. RIGHT onto Timber Lane (this is the very top of Timber Lane before the big downhill descent with hard left turn). You are now back on the original IM course.
    Rumor has it there are punk arrows marking the changes.

TRAINING RECOMMENDATION: Ride your bike. There are hills here in Wisco. Don't power the hills. Stay steady. On race day everyone has to ride 112 miles on the same course with the same weather. Stressing over change wastes more energy then an hour run. Stay cool.
  • Options

ok. glad we've got that straight... I am trying to end my post IMLP food binge & get back in gear for IMMoo... 

is there anyone that can load the new route up on ride w GPS or strava routes & share the link with us??? I'm in NY where everything is a numbered Grid

• Options
    I'm going to try to lift a GPX file after this weekend... But if not I'm going to make one before going up next weekend.
  • Options
    @ Jeremy - no way man, haha. You didn't take the bet.

Got a friend up there now and the new course is marked with pink arrows. Per my friend and our own Sue Chapman, Barlow will be a challenge - Alpe d'Barlow....
  • Options
    https://www.strava.com/segments/655174 is the segment on Strava. Looks plenty tough to me, but doable. Just glad it's not on both laps... At least the steeper portion is the first half. I'll be hunting a similar segment for my long ride tomorrow!
  • Options
    I created the route with the 2 different detours (different in loop 1&2) if someone who knows the area can check it, that would be great. some of the stuff in /out of mad may not be 100% where they use bike path or one ways?

https://www.strava.com/routes/5952106

Also interested in what the comparison is of this course to LP for anyone that may have ridden both? I search out there and see varying elevation claims for both courses.. Any have a good sense of how they "ride" against each other?

• Options

Posted By Scott Dinhofer on 31 Jul 2016 05:53 AM

I created the route with the 2 different detours (different in loop 1&2) if someone who knows the area can check it, that would be great. some of the stuff in /out of mad may not be 100% where they use bike path or one ways?

Also interested in what the comparison is of this course to LP for anyone that may have ridden both? I search out there and see varying elevation claims for both courses.. Any have a good sense of how they "ride" against each other?

You could upload our route(s) to Best Bike Split and model it against IMLP to see how they compare

• Options

You could upload our route(s) to Best Bike Split and model it against IMLP to see how they compare

yes, very aware of BBS and plan on doing that I was hoping to get more anecdotal color from folks like you, JW, etc that have ridden both courses... The devil isn't always in the numbers... 

• Options

Someone on FB says there's a training video of the Barlow climb on IM website under training video's. I don't see it am I blind??
  • Options

Posted By Scott Dinhofer on 31 Jul 2016 05:53 AM

Reach out to Ian Kurth...he rode it this weekend.  Sounds like the new climb is a beast and many people were walking it.   Understand it peaks around 20% grade....almost Balcom Canyon-esque

• Options

Reach out to Ian Kurth...he rode it this weekend.  Sounds like the new climb is a beast and many people were walking it.   Understand it peaks around 20% grade....almost Balcom Canyon-esque

uh oh

• Options
    I chatted with my dad briefly this morning - he had the chance to get out and ride the new course this weekend. He basically said "Uff! It's tough" and he's really glad we just have to deal with it on the first loop (agreed!) but generally felt like the change isn't worth all the hype it's getting - i.e. it's not unmanageable.
  • Options

Because I am still dealing with an injury, the ability to visualize  the course when I did the race in 2014 was helping with my confidence. Now that the bike course is different and more challenging, I'll have to rely on mental toughness more than ever.

We'll all be on the same new course. If anyone happens to run across the video of the climb, please share it.

• Options

The course is created in BBS and is named: New Ironman Wisconsin Course 2016

The model is a about 4 min slower than the original course for my settings. My take: set the bike up for a climb, stay disciplined on the watts and get off the bike 4 minutes later. Shouldn't be a thing.

Riding it this week - will see if it IS a thing...

• Options
    BBS using that course costs me about 6 minutes, but it does for everyone... Seeing the power spike on Barlow with the 5 mph speed, as well as Ian Kurth's report on Strava today, does have me a little worried about burning a match early. Again, though, it's the same course for everyone!
  • Options
    Here's a video someone just sent me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3v1PoFAqJE

I don't like seeing those walkers.
  • Options
    I have compensated for this new addition by refusing to eat two jelly donuts!

Update... I ate them anyway... I'll be in trouble this weekend!
  • Options
    Here is a video of the bike course changes .
    Alpe d'Barlow starts around minute 4 and ends where you see the guys standing next to their bikes.
    Did the full course last Saturday. The changes are well marked with pink arrows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3v1PoFAqJE

• Options
    I rode the course this weekend.

The loop is materially different in specifics (set up of rollers, different climbs, maintenance of momentum etc) with 15 miles of the 40 changed on the loop. Notably, 2 of the "3 sisters climbs" have been removed, and one beast of a steep climb (Barlow) has been exchanged in their place, (only one time up it - second loop excludes)

However, the overall feel of the course, with many rollers, turns etc is the same. It remains a challenging loop, requiring discipline and patience.

Don't sweat the climb. It is hard, and steep, but short. Get the right gearing for a really steep, short climb and use whatever needed to climb it. You will be fine. Be smart, and ride steady, and once again EN racers will distinguish themselves as superiorly disciplined and smart competitors.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, the 3 sisters are still there ( Old Sauk Pass, Timber lane, Midtown) what is gone is Messerschmidt, which was a roller coaster effect and exchanged for Barlow. It is steep but doable but like Rich says ride the hill in front of you. If I can make it up Barlow any one can. See everyone this weekend.