Home General Training Discussions
Options

cassettes, cranks, shifters..etc

I've had a few people tell me that different brands/models don't always work well with other components.  I'm planning on picking up a new cassette so just wondering if I need to worry about the model.

Comments

• Options

I only have Shimano experience and it has been good. Ultegra cassettes are durable and cheap compared to DuraAce. All their gear to Tour tested over many years. I was looking to switch to Sram red this year on my Tri bike with the RTC shifters but haven't yet.

On another note: I tried 2 separate Sram Red cassettes (with DA deraileur and shifters) and in the smaller cogs, while in my small chainring I have encountered skipping/slipping of the chain at just a 550 watt effort. Sram cassettes are supposed to work with Shimano gear and I have had 1 warranty return already from SRam. I have tried Srams top of the line chain, DA 7800 and 7900 chains and the problem persists. At 190+ lbs it doesn't take much to hit 550 watts when standing and climbing...very annoying to have the chain skipping teeth.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Vince

• Options

I use SRAM cassettes/chains interchaglebly with my Shimano drive train component.  I haen't had any issues.

• Options
    As long as I don't have a problem between Dura-Ace, Ultegra, and other Shimano brands. A bike shop tech recently told me that new Dura-Ace doesn't even work well with old Dura-Ace
  • Options

I have a couple sram cassettes and use them with Ultegra and Dura Ace stuff with no issues.  I even use a wipperman link in all my chains which some say causes a skipping but never have a problem.  I love the sram 11-26 combined with the 50/34 for racing.  Can go super fast on the downs yet still climb a vertical wall without blowing too much power.  If I ever put out 500 watts it is an accident.

• Options

Pretty much all 10 speed shimano and sram chains and cassettes are interchangable.  I've tried many combinations and had no problems.  Currently I have a SRAM cassette with shimano chain and it works great.

What you have to watch out for is rear shifter/deraileur compatability because of the index shifters.  SRAM and Shimano use a different amount of pull in the cable to shift so you cannot mix them.  Also, the new dura-ace 7900 will not work with the 7800 series because of a similar reason.  Shimano has a compatibility chart on their website with exact details of what you can and can't mix.

Front deraileurs use friction, so mix and match however you would like.  Also, just about all cranks on the market will work fine with either sram/shimano chains and cassettes.

Basically, just make sure everything you buy is for 10-speed and shimano or sram compatible and you rear shifter/derailer match and you will be fine.

• Options

I have a sram cassette/chain with shimano ultegra on the road bike. Behaves very nicely.

• Options

Chris...I've seen your numbers. 500 watts is an 8% grade standing and chatting for you my friend. I must have a 2nd warranty issue. I have the 11-26 I believe and had issues with a rotor rings bike then tried it on my R3 with DA round rings and still had same issue. Must be a machining error as my LBS can't figure it out either.

I will let you know if I get it fixed.

Thanks for input.

Vince

• Options
    The couple of times I have used a sram chain with my shimano drive train I have not been happy. I was unable to tune the shifting to the level that I expect. In some of the middle cassette gears there was a small amount of clicking that I could not fix. When I moved to the shimano chain I was able to rectify the problem for good. It was more of an irritant for me rather than a major problem and others perhaps would not even be bothered by it.
  • Options
    Posted By mancona (aka Matt Ancona) on 24 Nov 2009 09:11 AM

What you have to watch out for is rear shifter/deraileur compatability because of the index shifters.  SRAM and Shimano use a different amount of pull in the cable to shift so you cannot mix them.  Also, the new dura-ace 7900 will not work with the 7800 series because of a similar reason.  Shimano has a compatibility chart on their website with exact details of what you can and can't mix.

I had a look on the Shimano website but couldn't find the chart.  Do you have a link?  I just bought a new DA 7900 chain, hope I don't have issues with the 7800 everything else.

What models of SRAM cassettes would you guys recommend?

• Options

Sure, here is the chart:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...0Chart.pdf

I have been using a SRAM power glide (not open glide) 11-25 and been very pleased.  I believe the model number is something like PG1070 and I really like having the range of 11-25 as I can ride just about any course.

I may invest in a Red series cassette for racing, but I haven't decided it if is worth it yet.

• Options

Thanks!  apparently the 7900 chain isn't compatible with the old stuff. 

• Options
    Posted By Chris Kitching on 26 Nov 2009 10:04 AM

Thanks!  apparently the 7900 chain isn't compatible with the old stuff. 

I guess that is what the chart shows, but I think it would work fine.  Maybe search google and see ifyou can find anyone using it with the old stuff.