Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training July 31 - Aug 7

2»

Comments

• Options

All, Sounds like you had a great time up in Madison.  I wish I could have been there.  I really shelled myself this past week.  Not sure I've put in that much time before.  3 OWS, Four Bikes and 3 runs.

Highlight was my 16 mile run on Saturday.  I managed 7:52's according to the Garmin, but I think I was going faster,  it seems as though the Garmin was having trouble finding the signal on the tree lined roads,  Had beautiful weather and managed to keep my heart rate near 135. image

Worst part of the week is this awful simmer's ear I brought back from Michigan.  I have the drops going but it sure does hurt.  i will take a day or two to recover from the work load then back on it.  I look forward to hearing about the course changes when people have time.

Todd

• Options
    Just putting this out there for everybody riding Barlow on race day... There will definitely be some dudes/dudettes who don't have the motor to get up the hill, but refuse to dismount and walk who will be zig-zagging etc all over the road. This in combination with the expectation of many drunk spectators on the hill could make for some unexpected road hazzards through the steep stretch. While our bike speed will be slow, so will our ability to quickly respond. Keep your head up and try to anticipate what the squirrels around you might do, and err in favor of safety...
  • Options

Posted By Ian Kurth on 08 Aug 2016 01:10 PM

Just putting this out there for everybody riding Barlow on race day... There will definitely be some dudes/dudettes who don't have the motor to get up the hill, but refuse to dismount and walk who will be zig-zagging etc all over the road. This in combination with the expectation of many drunk spectators on the hill could make for some unexpected road hazzards through the steep stretch. While our bike speed will be slow, so will our ability to quickly respond. Keep your head up and try to anticipate what the squirrels around you might do, and err in favor of safety...
    I was skiing it this weekend to get up it.  I had the conversation with my buddies on the way home that it could be impossible to ski on race day.  I don't think I have the legs to do it otherwise.  I felt like it was a mini Snake Mtn. Ian!  If I can ski it safely, I will.  If not, I guess I gotta hoof it. Insert sad face here.  

• Options
    Ed, wondering how you liked riding the Ventum One on the course. Are you loving the ride? Do tell!
  • Options

Posted By Trish Marshall on 08 Aug 2016 08:06 PM

I was skiing it this weekend to get up it.  I had the conversation with my buddies on the way home that it could be impossible to ski on race day.  I don't think I have the legs to do it otherwise.  I felt like it was a mini Snake Mtn. Ian!  If I can ski it safely, I will.  If not, I guess I gotta hoof it. Insert sad face here.  
    Trish - If they close the road, and allow us to use both sides, then I think you can get away with zig-zagging, assuming you don't hit it with a crowd of other riders.

You have experience as your advantage - both from multiple NC trips, and from riding Barlow in advance.  You know when and where it is and can plan your contigencies accordingly.  The other thing to consider is maxing your gearing - going with a compact 34 front and 32 in the rear??  

Either way, my point was not to be divisive and make it an ego thing - more a plan ahead and do the smart person thing.

• Options
    Trish...I loved it. The LBS built it with my measurements from my last Retul fit...perfect. The rides in Wisconsin were the 5-6 for me on that bike. The longest before was 40 miles. I rode this bike 2x112 and didn't have any discomfort. No sore shoulders... no stiff back... amazing.

As for performance.. Shaughn has an FTP about 20 watts higher than me... and he MAY have been sandbagging me the first lap... but I think he dug in a few times on number two and while he may have beaten me to a few places it wasn't the bloodbath it could have been!

The bike is fast... I think it looks good (other than the GE sloshed from the bottle all over the wonderful matte paint job) handles and brakes well...and is just a lot of fun to ride
  • Options

Posted By Ian Kurth on 08 Aug 2016 08:20 PM

Posted By Trish Marshall on 08 Aug 2016 08:06 PM

Trish - If they close the road, and allow us to use both sides, then I think you can get away with zig-zagging, assuming you don't hit it with a crowd of other riders.

You have experience as your advantage - both from multiple NC trips, and from riding Barlow in advance.  You know when and where it is and can plan your contigencies accordingly.  The other thing to consider is maxing your gearing - going with a compact 34 front and 32 in the rear??  

Either way, my point was not to be divisive and make it an ego thing - more a plan ahead and do the smart person thing.

Thanks for your course input Ian...would not have even considered drinking spectators!!!  I have a compact 12/28 but its a 10 speed so finding a new derailer for di2 dura ace and paying for that on a 6 year old bike for one race?  Probably not gonna happen.  I will just do the "should" approach on that hill vs. the ego driven "could"  approach.  I'll also be going in circles in our local hilly metro park trying to get a bit more comfy climbing steeper pitches.  

• Options

Posted By Ed Eovino on 08 Aug 2016 09:07 PM

Trish...I loved it. The LBS built it with my measurements from my last Retul fit...perfect. The rides in Wisconsin were the 5-6 for me on that bike. The longest before was 40 miles. I rode this bike 2x112 and didn't have any discomfort. No sore shoulders... no stiff back... amazing.

As for performance.. Shaughn has an FTP about 20 watts higher than me... and he MAY have been sandbagging me the first lap... but I think he dug in a few times on number two and while he may have beaten me to a few places it wasn't the bloodbath it could have been!

The bike is fast... I think it looks good (other than the GE sloshed from the bottle all over the wonderful matte paint job) handles and brakes well...and is just a lot of fun to ride
    Thanks for the update Ed!  I am in major covet mode for that ride!  BUT...did the GE slosh due to the bottle design, or filling on the fly?  I have finally found the lab torpedo and dumped the A2 splash nightmare bta system, and just will not go back to sticky splashing messes again!