Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2016 IM Maryland Week 13- Bike Focus

Week 13 - Knowledge burst
The forum is hoppin'!! So great to hear from many of you! Keep it up my friends!!
Does anyone have a 70.3 this weekend? Coaches like to have you break up your race season into A, B, C races and this is traditionally the last weekend you can have a 70.3 leading up to your full.
This week is a Bike Focus Week. Coaches have strategically put in some volume bumps within the plan to prepare you for your race! This will be a chance for your to push your boundaries in cycling. So what do you have on your plan for cycling this week? Going anywhere beautiful and exciting to enjoy the time outside?
A couple more notes: Make sure you are tweaking your nutrition plan as needed if the weather around you is HOT!

Camp is in two weeks - see how this is going to work into your schedule.  Any questions, don't hesitate to ask myself or Coach P. So now I turn it over to the fantastic Maryland Crew- I want to hear all about your training weekend and what you learned.  
Let me know if you need ANYTHING at all!! Let’s GET IT!!

Comments

• Options

Yesterday, I hit a wall, and did no workouts at all. Lately, when I get to a point ike this, I remind myself that people like Joe Friel, when recommending training plans for older triathletes, will often suggest the need to space out the harder workouts. So interval runs and bikes less often than once a week, long runs and bikes sometimes delayed or avoided on a weekly basis. I just try to monitor my weight, my sense of deep fatigue, and any areas which might feel a little over worked or sore. So I took Sunday off. The only thing that took a hit was my run total. And today (Monday), I did a 90 minute progressive run in the morning.

Totals (as of Saturday): 16 hours, TSS/CTL/ATL/TSB/Ramp: 860/130/152/-22/3; Swim: 2:50/9050 meters, Bike 10 hrs/146 mi/10,000' climbing, Run 3:15/18.5 mi. Included were my first 3800 meter OWS & a 5 hour/6400' RPP ride up Mt St Helens.

This coming week will be for consolidation. Today, long run. Tomorrow, another 3800 m OWS, then a shorter run. Wed, a long bike, Thur-Sun travel to and from Omaha, race USAT SC Nat'l Champs. The last six weeks before taper, split between WA and CO. TRY to emphasize run durability and long steady bike, without hurting anything like my elbow from swimming, hamstring from running, or back from biking.

• Options
    @Al its sounds like we are both in the same place...Smart move taking it easy and cant wait to hear about your little race in OMAHA...Let us or at least me know how Cheryl makes out on her ride too?

I been seeing the cracks appearing in the last two weeks... This a down week for me as we prepare for the SwimRun....Yesterday was a swim only day and I planned 2 miles , but shut it down after 1 mile and spent most of the day on the couch...

Here is the 4 week progressive build I just completed... The last numbers are last week ending Sunday...
    hrs- 14.25, 14.75, 16.5, 17.5
    TSS- 916, 1039, 1058, 1067
    swim- 13-15k yds per week w/ 1-2 days of 20-30minutes of intervals
    bike mileage - 132, 139, 155, 166
    bike long ride/time- 73/3.5hrs, 84/4hrs, 95/4.5hrs, 110/5hrs
    bike FTP weekly minutes- 32, 40, 42, 44
    bike V02 weekly minutes - 16, 20, 24, 25
    run mileage- 28, 32, 35, 38
    long run/time - 13/1.75hrs, 15/2hrs, 16.4/2.25hrs, 18/2.5hrs
    run intervals Z4 - 4x.75=3, 3 x 1=3, 3 x 1.25=3.75 , 4 x 1=4
  • Options
    @Al - I also look forward to hearing about your race. While we have never met, I have learned a lot from your posts and always look forward to your thoughts on the journey.

@Tim - if anyone deserves a day on the couch, it is you. Looking forward to reading about the SwimRun and your build towards MD.

My planned 5 hour ride on Saturday turned into a 2.5 hour ride. I knew before it started that our plans had changed so I rode 2.5 hours of hills well above my 5 hour power numbers. 3,600 feet of climbing in 32 miles. It was an enjoyable ride and think it will help me for IMMT. I have avoided any heavy volume post IMLP as I think it is more beneficial to me to have fewer quality work outs than simply volume workouts. I will find out in a little over a week if I a correct.
    The run is coming back. I started running with our dog for the first mile or two as a warm up before I go out on my own. With the heat and humidity, she does not want to run more than two miles. Hopefully when the weather gets cooler I can up her mileage as I really enjoy having her with me.