Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training August 8 - August 14

Week 16 Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!

Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? 

1. Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

2. It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have another 4300 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine affect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that affect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50

25 meter pool site 1x per 25

OWS use judgement  

Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water

** Alternative **

You COULD just do this---> Train like you Race

Teammates that were in WI this weekend, make sure you are sharing your files and what you learned etc. 

Comments

• Options
    Bib list is up! Miss. #554 over here.
  • Options

HI all IMWI Peeps!!

I have been struggling a bit here coming off of the CAMP load so far this week even with taking Monday off.  It really messes with my head.

Ran early yesterday in the morning through a sea of heat/humidity attempting the interval work as scheduled: https://www.strava.com/activities/669940138

Swam long yesterday and slogged my way through it: https://www.strava.com/activities/670306941

Ran first this morning to avoid the mid day heat but not much of a break here as it was 89 heat index very early when I did the run: https://www.strava.com/activities/669940138

Then came the Z4 bike blood bath.  Had to cut it down to 1X15' and 1X10' Z4 so then added a 5X2' @1.1 and it was just weak....not much gas in the tank for that kind of work but got through the shorter intervals:

https://www.strava.com/activities/671364291

Very motivated watching Phelps compete against other Gold medalist and World Champions.  I noted how he and the others spent so much time focusing quietly, visualizing, thinking, shutting out the rest of the world and getting themselves ready for the task at hand.  There was no socializing, talking, befriending, or any extra unnecessary activity if you watch them as they are waiting there for their events to come up.  They are not sizing up the competition, looking around at the crowds, talking to their team mates, just focusing.......I took a lot away from that aspect of those games then watched Phelps take care of business with no excuses when it was showtime.

Have a great Thursday run tomorrow all!

SS

• Options
    I'm 570 - shit is getting real!

Most bib numbers in my age group (M46-49) are 22XX - any idea why mine would be 570? I know I'm special, but.... More curious than anything.
  • Options
    @Chris - Last year at IMWI we (EN) all had #s in the 500s & had a team bike rack close to bike out - I don't recall hearing anything about that this year but maybe we're special like that again image
  • Options
    @ Lindsay - thanks. that would be awesome if we got our own rack section.

@SS - Great job pushing through - you are a machine!

Swam 4,500 yards yesterday and ran 4.6 miles last evening. First 1.5 miles of run was hard, after that it did get easier, but HR was still pretty high. Did 35 minutes on the bike trainer this morning with 17 minutes of work at and slightly below FTP. Not looking forward to a 2hr run tomorrow morning, but we are in the no f-ing off zone of training so gotta push through it. Keep up the awesome work team - we suffer together!
  • Options
    @Lindsay - I am #2543, so maybe I didn't make the cut... I will email Mariah - maybe it is too late to hang with the cool kids :-(

Everyone is doing a great job here. Keep up the good work!

I am struggling a little with the rehearsal recovery, I had a crash on Saturday and my hip is pretty bruised. I mostly feel okay, but I am ramping up slower than I ordinarily would. On Sunday I did a 2:20 walk instead of a run. Took Monday off. Tuesday I swam in the evening and today I spun at 65% of FTP for my morning ride. Contemplating tomorrows run, I guess it will depend on how I feel - but I am considering breaking it in to two segments (Morning / Evening). We shall see...
  • Options
    @ Mike - sorry to hear about the crash. I take it you and the bike are OK - get well. You are one of the cool kids man!
  • Options
    #568 here, so something's grouping us (mostly...)!

Body isn't quite waking up yet after camp weekend. Tuesday run was decent, but had to stop the swim afterwards after about 1800 yards - just too tired. Bike today was decent (Sufferfest HHNF on the trainer, 2 x 20 ~Z4 + 3.5' Z5), but my legs didn't care for the run...

@Mike - hope everything's OK and you'll be back on it quickly!
  • Options

@Mike = bummer, heal quick!

@all -impressive work team!  31 days out!

I'm bib 547.  As said. EN had special bike rack last year due to large number of competitors from EN and the teams ranking among IM clubs.  I believe we were the top team at IMWI last year.  Be sure your registered with IM with your club being EN.  Perhaps Mariah can help!

Finished Camp week on Monday.  Kevin O'Bannon and I rode 108 on Sat and ran after.  Did 60 plus on Sun and 30 min run.  2 hr run Monday!  That was fun!

Swam yesterday.  Ran intervals today and did v easy hr on bike.  We will see about 2 hr run tomorrow, maybe move to Friday and swim/bike tomorrow.

I would be interested in thoughts from the group re using the road bike vs the tri bike for the race.  If Barlow is that tough, perhaps some of us who are not strong bikers would benefit from the extra gears from the road bike.  Thoughts?

• Options
    Thanks for the well wishes all, I really do appreciate it. Aside from a gnarly bruise on my left hip, a few scratches, and minor soreness (which could be training related), I am okay.

Went for my run this morning - WOW, was I slow... I don't think I have run that slow in years, sigh. The Good News is I really didn't have any pain during or after my run - just very heavy legs and an inability to get moving - I am going to attribute this to training stress. I decided to split my run and hit it again this afternoon, let's see how the afternoon goes.

Have a great day all!
  • Options
    Good news Mike!

Ran 13 this morning and it just plain hurt after mile 9ish.
  • Options
    An EN athlete from IMCHOO group texted me today in the middle of her run. She was defeated, deflated, crying and flat out DONE.... yet still had a couple more miles to finish of course ALL up hill and in massive heat and humidity. In a couple short texts, we talked it out and got her back and running.

What this reminded me of, is to make sure you all know...... your EN family is here. If you need me, CALL ME, TEXT ME, SEND A SMOKE SIGNAL! It's not only my job, its my privilege. Every single one of you has a WHY, has a reason for doing this crazy triathlon mess. Remember your One thing even in training, its not just for race day. Flexing that mental muscle is JUST AS IMPORTANT IF NOT MORE than swim bike and run. It will make all the difference when things go wrong and you're able to adapt.

Make sure you not only reach out to teammates, friends, SO's, etc but you post here. There might be someone going through exactly what you are and just too afraid to say anything. The best way to get out of a funk....... motivate someone else.

I am here, but Im not a mind reader, reach out I promise I'll make sure you know you're not alone in this.
  • Options

Hi peeps.

Thursday was shaping up to be a tough nut to crack for me.  Mentally fatigued, knowing it was an important long run, knowing heat and hills in the early morning would be waiting for me, I devised an alternative strategy.

Decided to defer long run to late morning, sleep in, get in another meal, and leverage the TM with no heat/hills/humidity and a fan.  Turned out to be a good decision yielding a much better quality long run in this case.  I gave myself a much needed break from the last two days of 6 mile runs in heat/humidity: https://www.strava.com/activities/672557419

I continue to ponder and focus on the biggest single item I took away from our CAMP and the course last weekend.  For me, it is the opportunity of riding the bike course as steady as possible as much as possible.  Now, I'm not talking about the 8 minute, one time, big ass hill that has so many people in disarray.  8 minutes out of a 6 hour ride and 11+ hour day is just not something I want to spend too much of my limited time on.  

I'm talking about strategy across the bigger picture for the best ROI.  And, for me, one aspect of that is riding steady.

On Friday I rode the course @18.2 mph avg and 336 TSS.  Saturday, same course, (only did the hill once, vs. 2 times the day before) @ 18.3 mph (faster) and only ~300 TSS.  Saturday I rode much smoother and controlled for at least the first half of the ride pacing Ed.  Faster speed, less TSS (work) means steadier, smoother riding on the rollers and flats.  Now, the Saturday V.I was still an ugly 1.12 but it was lower than Friday where I had all the back and forth admin riding, therefore I have a whole lot of room to improve that number, drive the TSS down into the 285ish range and not give up any speed, or maybe even improve.

I also learned that I am going to need to stay in my box on the first loop up to Barlow, complete Barlow in a controlled manner and ratchet up my pacing from there.  During the second half and especially on the way back in, (The Stick) there is a lot of speed to be had for one who is gradually building up the intensity and riding steady.  I suspect, many will burn a lot of matches up front and give up that free speed riding back in on the stick as they begin to get tired and lose focus.

Saturday bike file: http://tpks.ws/9Bvav

Key here is to pick your number 1 and 2 opportunities for improvement and start focusing on them daily whether they be nutrition, transitions, running strategy, bike pacing, etc......

Rest/recover like a champion tonight all!

SS

• Options

I just hope that the stupidity I sometime apply in my training will pay off on race day! It was tough to run the 2 hours this morning after doing the hard bike and hard run last night in the heat and humidity. As mentioned by the coaches, it is recommended to keep the wkos at the same time of the day and allow 24 hours of rest in between! This morning run was hot and humid. When the coaches ask to finish the last 15 minutes at Zone 3; I think they are playing with our mind and want to make sure we don't slowdown! Let's keep the effort and stay safe everyone!

• Options
    #564 whoop whoop! - the past week has been a challenge for me with a long weekend vacation with my wife back to her hometown and a work trip. I managed to mix in some good run miles but haven't logged the time on the bike I wanted so this weekend has to be YUGE! Got a quality long run in this morning so i'm hopefully back on track to make a big push over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    oh yeah, and I'm totally jealous of you folks that got some quality rides in on the course last weekend! Wish I could have swung it!
  • Options
    @Mariah. Your offer of help is so nice. You are incredible! Thanks so much for all your help
  • Options
    After the big weekend, I took Monday and Tuesday off. I just felt worn down Tuesday, so I chose recovery. I was rewarded with a good ftp ride on the trainer and good brick off. I added Tuesday's swim yesterday as well and joined my friends downriver for a nice swim in Lake Erie. 2.2 miles point to point. I used to swim this every week, but since I moved last year and live on a lake, its been tough to justify the drive time (2.5 hours round trip!) just to socialize. Last night was fun though!

Today I procrastinated and ended up starting the run at 1pm, 88 temp and 96 real feel. Not smart. I planned to run two loops of my 10k from home and had my camelbak on for fluid, with an out if it was too hot to run on the mill for the second hour. After about 2 miles I knew I'd be running indoors for the second half. I had to walk a lot more than once a mile as my hr was through the roof. DUH! Finished on the mill with the fan. Got a blister on the heel of my foot from so much sweat. Shaughn....I have no idea how you do what you do daily down in TX!

In my recovery pump boots right now drinking water. Tomorrow I ride and try and implement riding steady as Shaughn noted above, especially up the hilly parts of my park. Focus focus focus!

• Options
    Hello IMWI'er's! 573 checking in here.

So I had a pretty eventful day. This afternoon, I ended up in the ER after experiencing chest pains for the past two weeks. Luckily after an EKG and chest x-ray, they rules out any heart problems. The doctor figured it was strained intercostal muscles from all the swimming and being in the aero position so much. I thought this might be the cause, but with a family history of heart issues, I wanted to be extra cautious. So it's anti-inflammitories, ice and stretching and hopefully I can keep up the training volume. Anyway, tonight I ran 7 miles and felt pretty good.

I had a decent camp week (swimming 4200 meters last Friday, biking 106 on Saturday and 40 on Sunday, followed by a 12 mile run on Monday). This week has been kind of light, due to fatigue and getting ready for a high volume weekend. There is a State Park near St. Louis that has hills that mirror Barlow, and I want to get out on this but rain is in the forecast thus weekend. (can't imagine 5-6 hours on the trainer!)

Anyway, you all are freaking machines and such an inspiration to me! I am so amazed at the volume and quality of your wokouts! Train on!

• Options
    Another steamer here in the Mitten! Swam 3000 yards, rode for 5 hours getting 88 miles and bricked a teeny tiny mile. Thats all I had! I have NOT bricked off of many long rides, but todays heat and humidity were no joke. I tried concentrating my infinite for the first time and was glad I did. I drank a LOT of extra water to keep thirst at bay. I was happy about the wind later in the ride. It helped keep me cool. Never been happy about wind before! image

In the recovery boots again and hoping to hit the park tomorrow if rain stays away. Fingers crossed!

Train hard peeps! It's a comin'!
  • Options

Been having a pretty good week so far.  Got in two swims, shoulder still sore, but....  Hopefully, my swimming won't slow my overall goals too much.

Some good runs in, but did skip Friday and yesterday after the Dairy Land Dare which wore me out.

Here is the file from yesterday. https://www.strava.com/activities/675100863

While, I don't like how slow I averaged, I did get in lots and lots of hills that I think will be similar to Barlow. I haven't seen that hill yet. 

I did notice lots of people with high cadences just spinning past me up the steep hills.  I found out that people are using cassettes with 32 teeth on the back and smaller compacts in the front. Amazing how fast they can get up steeper hills while I am going way down in cadence and moving 2 mph to keep my watts at z3,4. 

Also discovered that I likely need to replace my cassette and front crank as my gears were slipping a lot on the steep hills.   I skipped the run afterwards as I figured the extra time on the bike and the hills gave me that excuse.  I am sore today. 

#579 over and out

• Options
    ran a hot and sweaty 6 miles yesterday as we were rained out and I needed an attitude adjustment! image

Today got in the 3 hour ride mostly at abp, and a good delayed onset brick with a friend. Legs felt great on the run considering. Heading out to a movie tonight and excited for legs off tomorrow!
  • Options

@Trish/Kevin/Stephan - you guys are knocking it out of the park on a very tough training week!  Thanks for leading!!

I managed to complete all the workouts this week BUT it was mentally very tough for me and I had to take it day by day.

Here is my 5 hour trainer ride file from Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/674791977    That sucked.

I ran first this morning then got back on the trainer again this afternoon for Z3 intervals.....mentally fatigue but did get in another 2:45....I spent ~ 10 hours total on the trainer this week avoiding heat and trying to stay safe.  Man that was not fun.

45 miles of running in 6 days really kept me on the edge combined with the other work.

Fine work all around this week guys, very important weeks of training for your race right now, so stay safe and take it day by day.

SS

• Options

Does anyone know if we are going to get a webinar with one of the coaches on racing IMWI along with some conversation about the changes?

• Options
    Where to start?

Camp week was great... So happy to get to put some faces to names. The course was tough.. But will definitely be kind to those that follow EN's execution guidelines. Stay steady with your watts and you'll be rewarded when you go to run. A lot of people are going to push it too hard on that bike... Especially the first lap... But if you manage your VI you'll be rewarded by passing people all day on that run.

When I got back I made some notes about parts of the bike that were fast...slow... And the parts that required a little caution. If anyone is interested I'll write it up and post it here.. The run was straight forward with only two hills to manage.

I had a mishap this week. I was doing my Wednesday interval session and at about :45 in I looked down to stretch my neck or recoup a bit and I hit a groove in the pavement. I was going 21MPH and when I corrected out of the rut it launched me straight into the curb... I took a pretty big fall... But no damage to me. I sat out the long run out of an abundance of caution...but was able to nail my big day on Saturday.. The bike... That's right... The new Ventum... Banged up a bit. It's at the bike shop and I hope to rule out any cracks to the frame or wheels... If those are OK.. It may just be minor stuff.. I'm hoping. In the mean time I'm back on my P3 sans race wheels... Which I had just set up on my wife's bike the same day. No give backs I guess!

The big day on Saturday went well. I got in a 3500 yd swim 99m on the bike and capped it with 5 mile run. It was pretty hot on the run... So the pace was a bit quick for that. I'll actively start running HR the rest of the way.

Swim https://www.strava.com/activities/674450593

Bike https://www.strava.com/activities/674889962

Run https://www.strava.com/activities/674937667

On Sunday I got up with some tired legs... Managed to get out the door for just under 3 before work...then a 45 mile ride after. It was a tough weekend... But I think it's starting to come together. Two week of rough stuff... I'll take it one day at a time and I'll through!

Sun bike https://www.strava.com/activities/676408665

• Options

Ed - Glad to hear you are OK. 

Yes - we need to start talking about race stuff as it is getting close.  And although I am no coach, I think there are a few of us who have ridden the changes in the course so we can start discussing.

TG

• Options
    OH NO ED! So glad you are ok! The bike will be fixable if any issue...you are a one and only, so glad the bike took the brunt of it!

I'd love it if you shared your course thoughts. Our group was so start and stop day one, and a bit better day two, but still...the flow was not really there and VI was high. It would be appreciated!

Stephen, I had those thoughts as I listened to Rich's podcast on IMWI last year. Perhaps he can review SS or Ed's strava files to give extra advice???
  • Options
    Hi All,

I had a pretty good weekend, still sore from camp week / crash - I've been keeping at it - at a somewhat reduced level to give me time to recuperate. The good is I got some good rides and swims in this weekend, the bad is I have put myself in run jail to give my legs extra TLC, and the even better is that I woke up this morning feeling better than I have in a week so this is all paying off -and- I am getting in some quality training.

Take care of yourselves - you are all doing (freakishly) amazing work!

Ed - Glad to hear you are OK!

-Mike
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the crash, Ed! Glad you're OK-ish, and hopefully the Ventum will be as well (as Trish said, at least it's replaceable; you're not!)...

Had a couple of good rides this weekend, but on flat ground. After camp week, I wasn't interested in hills, and the weather yesterday wasn't really supportive of it anyway. Having a little bit of piriformis problem, but working on it.

I'll be up in Madison for work next week, and I'm hoping to get a chance to check out Barlow (hopefully on the bike) while I'm there. I have a hill nearby that has a very similar profile (at least on Strava) I've used for testing, but I'll see how it applies to the real thing.

Great work, all! 2 more weeks of hard stuff, then 2 hard weeks of tapering!
  • Options

Wow Ed, glad you are ok, big bummer on the new bike!

@Bill What hill in St L are you riding that is similar to Barlow?

Had to give up Sat's workouts due to work and Sir Paul concert in St Louis!

Biked 4 hrs on the drainer Sun as weather was questionable.  Got 46 miles running this week, with the extra run focus.

Thanks for the bike tips all.  I am thinking of driving to Barlow on race week Friday and riding it for practice.