Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Gary Lewis Official Coach Thread

edited September 1, 2017 2:32PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Coach,

I am supposed to test this week to finish up my GF Int plan for IMAZ.  I start IM INT next week, but because of an unexpected family get away (SAUs), I will be out of town next weekend.  I am leaving Friday morning and coming back Sunday evening.  I can run while out of town, but no long bike.  Should I rearrange training days next week?

G

Comments

• Options
    Gary, sorry but I need dates. Will you be out of town 8/20-21 or 8/27-28?
  • Options
    Sorry, 8/27-28. I decided to do the FTP test on Monday since it had been a while and skipped the vdot testing becuase it is so hot out right now, that I wouldn't end up with an accurate result. I then loaded up the IM plan for this week. I did the prescribed workout yesterday and today, but need to know how to rearrange the next 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    Gary, got it. Thanks for clarifying. You'll be in week 8, so plenty of time to "make up" for those longer rides. Note Week 9 is a testing week in the plan, but you can do the alternative workouts on those days.

Here's what I suggest:

Mon - As planned
    Tue - Wed Bike + Run
    Wed - Tuesday Run + Swim
    Thu - ABP Trainer ride (up to 90' in Zone 3 effort...bascially your Sunday ride here), brick run of 15' if you can.
    Fri - Off
    Sat - Long Run
    Sun - Off
  • Options
    Coach P, it looks like Monday and Tuesday this week have the same swim set. Is that correct? IM INT WK9
  • Options

Posted By Gary Lewis on 29 Aug 2016 09:21 AM

Coach P, it looks like Monday and Tuesday this week have the same swim set. Is that correct? IM INT WK9

Gary, please see MS2 for each session. MS2 is different, Mon vs Tues. 

• Options
    @Gary Lewis - Thanks for the new TSR, I appreciate it!

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I haven't raced since IMAZ last year.  Took a well needed break and it took a LONG time to get my head back.  Back in full swing and pumped up again.  I have been on the HM INT for the last month.  Running a HM on 9/1.  Thinking about Bike Focus, then OS.  Planning on trying for Gabe's Moab Camp at the end of April and hopefully an OLY in there to make it interesting.

Your Races

• 01/14/2018 - Rock 'n' Roll AZ HM 2018 (B)
    • Gabe Camp
    • 07/22/2018 - Ironman Lake Placid (A)

Your Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. 

Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/26/2017 
    • On 9/4 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/1/2017
    • On 10/2 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/29/2017
    • On 10/30 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 2/4/2018
    • On 2/5 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/18/2018
    • On 2/19 Load the Intermediate Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 7/22/2018
    • Then Post Race Recovery, etc. 

Coach Notes

While you are HM fit now (good luck!!!!) and be sure to read our HM Race Execution stuff here, we'll want to keep the steady running up into the Nov OS via the Run Durability Program (RDP). 

I am 100% ok working with you to "hack" the bike for some early gains during that time, but I don't like how the Bike Focus plays here (it's better next year, maybe instead of the GetFast block I have outlined).  

We then dive into the OutSeason® ready to set and crush some big goals. That drives you into your HM for RnR (we can build that in) before the remainder of your year.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Coach, what is your thought on Get Faster plan replacing swimming with durability runs in place of the RD plan.  I haven't studied them, but I need to work on my bike too.  
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis - how about we modify the run durability program to have two quality rides during the week? So will dialback some of them on intensity but keep the bike intensity up? What do you think of that?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I'm going to stick with your first suggestion.  I've been listening to some old podcasts lately.  I did not realize that Outseason was a building period.  I didn't utilize it that way last year.  I used it more as a maintenance time.  I'm going to try to push harder this Outseason, so run durability will give me some time to refresh prior to that.

Right  now I'm still recovering from the travel and the HM.  My body seems to take a long time to get right after difficult races/efforts.

I never wish anyone "Good Luck" as that implies you're not prepared.  I'm wishing you "Great Racing" while you're in Kona.  Crush it, we'll be cheering you from the sidelines.

G

• Options
    @Gary Lewis - so glad you found that podcast and that it made sense!

Yes the OS is a critical building time for us. It's where we can do all the work that we simply can't sustain in season. It also provides a nice counterpoint to the longer work that we typically do it on a much more manageable schedule.

Take a rest now as it's a good investment in your future. Use the run durability in that maintenance function you mentioned and will be ready to crush 2018. 

PS, thank you for the well wishes

• Options
    @Coach Patrick its time for me to decide on how to move forward.  I would like to maybe race one sprint or Olympic distance before the end of the year, but it is not a focus.  I really enjoyed racing IMLP and would like to race an IM distance race next year, possibly AZ.  Love the Key races, but not sure that training through the middle of summer here is going to work.  It was a struggle this time and luckily it was a little cooler.  I feel like it is time for me to work on "fast" both on the bike and the run.  I took 2017 off because of a backpacking trip, and wish I had not stopped training.  I really gave away all of my fitness.  What is your suggestion for training plans?  It will be unbearably hot here for the next 1-2 months.  I have a vacation planned in Sept.  Let me know your thoughts.
  • Options
     So great to see you and share the laughs and several beers. I hope you are enjoying your recovery. My suggestion to you is as follows:

– follow the race recovery protocol to a T so you maximize the four weeks. You should likely feel goodbye the end of the third week and could get started there on the next part but that’s up to you.

Dash start with the run durability program and use that as a tool to  Harrison frequency before you leave and while on your trip from a run perspective if that’s possible. When you come back we can talk about doing some short course work to get sharp for some fun races. Nothing wrong with that at all, and you certainly have the fitness with an Iron Man behind you.

I agree with Arizona. It is certainly popular enough with the team that you will see plenty of athletes out there for sure! We can talk strategies about how to divide the year For next season once we close out this file.

For now, let me know what you think of the above.
  • Options

@Gary Lewis -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Gary, thanks for the file. I want to get you into the OutSeason Plan despite your upComing vacation, as I Think the change in focus will really help you out. I recommend you be conservative on the Run Level (keep it as Lvl 1) so we can build the bike successfully. If you get me the details on your vacations, I can advise more.

I am thinking that basically you will do the OS when you can, then Run Frequency as you are able on the road. There will be starts / stops but I think overall it will get you headed in the right direction. Then you can build on top of that (and your early swimming) by following the Short Course plan. You'll leave it a bit early to go into the Full plan, but otherwise it's straightforwards.

Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• C race 7/14/2019 Mountainman Oly in Flagstaff (High Elevation) with steep 385' climb on the run.
    • B race 8/18/2019 Mountainman Oly in Flagstaff (High Elevation) with steep 385' climb on the run.
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/25/2019
    • On 2/25/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/2/2019
    • On 6/3/2019  Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 8/18/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 8/5/2019  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
    • On 1/13/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/9/2020
    • On 2/10/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 3/8/2020

Your Notes

Haven't raced since August Mountainman Olympic high elevation. I'm easing back in and building fitness nowI am getting back into training after a long layoff. Trying to focus on technique for both swimming and running. Swimming, I have joined a Masters swim program and trying to get in the pool 3 times a week. Running, I am in the process of building fitness while focusing on the proper technique with the expectation that the payoff will be big both in terms of speed and endurance. I've been on the bike trainer a few times, but ready to get to work. January focus has been adjusting diet. I am at the weight I raced 2016 IMAZ (which is the lowest I can remember). Expecting to shed some more this year. Some vacations planned in March - Iceland (no training) and St Louis in May (can run).

I want to be ~12:00 hr time zone this time. and feel with some run speed it is obtainable.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Gary Lewis hows the training going?!

• Options

Thanks for checking in. Life got in the way and then I got lazy/depressed for a little bit. One of my Boy Scouts died while a group of them were out hiking. This is turn has stirred in me the need to accompany them on a 12 day backpacking trip in July to ensure everything goes as planned.

I am back in beast mode until I leave for 70 miles of hiking which shouldn't hurt my fitness:

So for now, I'm training every day until I leave, trying to follow the current plan I have loaded in FS. Taking the runs easy but working hard on the bike to hopefully build backpack fitness as well.

Let me know if you think I should switch gears in any way.

G

• Options

Gary – I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. That is terrible, and I fully understand your desire to re-engage with the troop.

I think your plan is fine, there’s a healthy balance that needs to be in place in order for our fitness/body to be able to grow. I think your plan of consistency now and the work associated with completing the hike will hopefully leave you with a great foundation upon which we can build.

• Options

Coach - I wanted to check in and get some guidance for training with a focus on the week of 9/16-22. I will be driving up to Al's place in Colorado. Ronda and I will drive up on Saturday and arrive at a condo on Saturday eve. Sunday, we will spend some time in the morning doing a little sightseeing and exploring. That gives me time for a easy run on Sunday. On Tuesday we will move over to Al's place. We will head back to Arizona probably Saturday or Sunday. Since I have unlimited time that week and hopefully good weather, I want to make the most of that time. I know Al will also be able to provide guidance as well.

This year my training year had large gaps and wasn't quite what I had hoped. I have been working pretty hard on building FTP with some good success. I would still like to get it back to where I was before IMLP last year or better. I realize we also need to start adding the far on the fast. Since we haven't had a day below about 110 in a while, that just hasn't been possible yet. 3.5 hours on the trainer with breaks, is about as much as I can take. Had some stomach issues last Tues-Wed and strained my back at work on Thursday, so last week was lost.

Swim - working solo with a focus on form. I've joined a Master Swim class here and hoping to attend MWF.

Run - working/focusing on run form and cadence.

BC - pretty good there. Lost some weight in January, which included both muscle and fat. I am smaller and closer to the size I should be, but lost some power on the bike which is coming back.

Let me know your thoughts and if a call is better.

G

• Options

Great to hear from you! So jealous that you’re making this trip but simultaneously glad that you can. Given the ride and concerns that you faced at home, I think training up there is a perfect opportunity for you to put more time in the saddle. Swimming at altitude is essentially self-inflicted torture, so I don’t see any reason why you should do that unless it’s something that I want to do and you are tagging along. I promise that your times will suck and you will feel unsatisfied with the training session. 😂

He has a variety of rides, some are just epic and our “must see” rides. To miss out on them when you are in the area would be a real shame. But he also has great options that involve a lot of bike path time that is long and flat, just what you need.

He has a great route that includes a 12 mile 2% climb that, when you flip it, has a headwind on the way back. I can’t think of something more Arizona specific than that!

I would plan on something like four hours on Tuesday, two hours on Wednesday, 5 to 6 hours on Thursday, and 3 to 4 hours on Friday. Yes, that is all cycling!!

Of course, some of that will be weather dependent. But I like the idea of actual meeting with a moderate day, recovering a bit, going big, and then trying to build some fitness on that last day without breaking.

His place is on a hill, surprise!, So it’s not the best to run from but you can get a few short break runs in. Honestly I would plan on you coming home and getting along running on Sunday and will be completely satisfied if that was the bulk of your mileage for that week. Essentially we are looking to double and potentially triple your cycling mileage in just a few days combined with the other training you can squeeze in.

Let me know what you think about that overall schedule and we can go from there!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach-

I haven't submitted next years plan as I am undecided on what race and where.

First, I plan to do Tucson camp, no matter what the race decisions are. I am only planning on 70.3 and shorter for 2020, and seriously considering Hawaii. I know with the heat that will be a tough race, but I like the vacation side of it, dates and SAUs (at the moment). Although a European trip may not be ruled out.

2021 has me thinking IMCDA, as it is relatively close and I would think there will be a strong team presence.

After IMAZ I think, my real focus needs to be getting faster on the run, while slowly improving bike. I can live with a 6-6:15 bike, but there seems to be a lot more time for me to be cut on the run side of things. After I get recovered some, I will start back on the bike and slowly move to adding in some run with the plan of starting the Jan OS.

If you have a different idea on how to focus on the run, let me know.

G

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Hawaii (2020-05-30) #70.3Hawaii_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on December 5, 2019
    • On 1/6/2020 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 05/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/14/2020

Your Notes

Just completed IMAZ. Resting and trying to recover until Jan OS. Need to work on run IMO.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach,

Thanks for the kind words and deep dive into my work or lack thereof. Volume was definitely not what I would have wanted. I felt going in, that my run wasn't strong enough to conquer the distance, but I hoped the pixies and unicorns would fix everything.

Al T. came to the same conclusion about HR on the bike. I still have a tough time thinking that was an issue. My happy HR is 135, I can go forever. I think that I could have gone easier on the first loop, to let my HR come down quicker, but I think the 135 that I finished with was where I should be after 6 hours.

Run had issues that I covered in my RR, that I think I know how to solve/plan for better next time.

If you think building the bike is the best way forward, I will go that direction.

Humidity in Hawaii is going to be the limiter this time. Did I mention AZ is a dry heat? 😀

I need to get back on the training horse so I don't have to build back up each time I race. One step forward, two steps back is not helping.

• Options

I agree 100% about getting back on the training horse. The goal is to establish some kind of sustainable been staying up a little work. Even if it’s 30 minutes a day, it will add up. It also has the benefit of sending a good written for you which is easy to build on. Going from 30 mins to 60 mins is easy. Going from 0 mins to 30 minutes can seem impossible at times.

ill take the easiest possible modality. Walking is cool; doesnt have to be you on Zwift in a race at 5am on your Ventum blah blah blah 😂

Patrick

• Options

Wow, spell correct has made that post almost impossible to understand. 🤣🤣

• Options

lol I think there was only one mistake! I was trying to say “sustainable“ level of work. Everything else in the post is correct!

• Options

Since the OS BF doesn't have ANY running in it, what should I load as a run plan to supplement it?

• Options

@Gary Lewis - Just following up on your monthly feedback for us. Thanks for doing it! 👊

Here's what you said: 

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 1

Next month's focus: getting motivated

Extra help request: Not sure. Struggling with lack of motivation and summer heat is here.

I hear that tiny voice in your head telling you to become a beard model for Norelco and I can't let that happen. You're an athlete!!! 🤣 Seriously though, this summer heat deal is your kryptonite. Another way to reframe it is that we're not looking for excellence, but we are looking for consistency. You and I just need to figure out what the definition of consistency is which will work for you. Specifically something that keeps you engaged enough to continue but it's not so much work then it makes training miserable.

There is the DIY TRI on 8/30 you could do (roughly a 70.3). I assume swimming is okay by you? Let me know. Then we are solving for the bike and the run. We don't need more than 30' of running a day, or weekday bikes longer than an hour...I assume you could go INDOORS during the week so you aren't getting up at 0300 to train, and we supplement on the weekends?

What say you? I am happy to help here.

~ Coach P