Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Week 18 IM Wisc, Almost there...

Lets start with the last post from the old thread coutesy of KMF AKA King of the trainer

Actually really strong across the board on a week that is one of the toughest on the schedule.  Everyone digging deep for the long run then carrying that fatigue into the weekend and fighting through the bike work!  Man oh Man!  Some tough animals in here.  Everyone staying reasonably healthy so far too!  WOW!

Saturday I had severe thunderstorms so was forced to do a 5 hour trainer (270 TSS) ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/682891917

Ran Sunday morning then got nasty for another 200 TSS Z3 interval ride on the trainer in the afternoon https://www.strava.com/activities/684365169

Last BIG week to hold the line guys.  Everyone should look at the entire week's schedule and do the best you can with what you have. Moving things around might be necessary, just remember the downstream consequences for the week of moving something.

Happy Week 18 all!  We have arrived to IM training HELL!

Don't forget to start taking care of some of the Admin details this week, Bike tune up, getting plans done etc.  Yes tough week ahead not sure how it will all fall out.   I am really starting to get excited about the race.  I will detail that in my next post.  Stay focused and let's enjoy this together.  And if there are any questions about the run or swim, fire away.

TG

Comments

• Options

@Scott - I would be surprised if your legs were not tired, with all that racing.  i would try to remember you have quite a base level of fitness and it will come back around before race day.

So, I had to work this past weekend and I had to make some changes.  I did the 18 miles on thursday and tried to back it up with a long ride on Friday as it was my only day available.  I eeked out about 80 miles broken over a trainer sessions then some open road time.  Per Coach P's advice I dialed down the intensity a little bit.   Legs felt sluggish but manageable.  On Saturday was able to ride about 2.5 hours moderate on the trainer followed up with a 4 mile run at race pace. Sunday was a beautiful day so I decided to get outside and go as fast as I could.  40 miles two hours, including stoplights. then a 3 mile race pace + run. 

That takes me to this morning.  The only days I can run long are Monday and Thursday so I moved the long run to today.  I kept telling myself that my legs will be a little tired on race day so why not today.  I started out a little fast thanks to trying to keep us with the Wash U girls cross country team who ran right be me as I was starting.  I felt good so I just kept going.  In the end I crushed it.  15 miles , 7:20 pace .   Best part was AVG HR was 135.  Tired legs and all.  I needed a good workout and mojo boost.   Now I need a massage.

Stay positive and find the good in every workout. 

• Options

Hello all.  I had an interesting weekend and had to hack my plan.  I rode the new part of the course on Friday.  Barlow is tough as they say, but typical of many hills in this area.  Once it is over, I thought the next section was really fun with some more tough rollers and a fast flat section.  The only problem with the flat section (Mineral Wells Road I think) was that the road was in bad repair with some potholes and stuff.  Be careful there.    Overall, I liked the change.  The other thing I might note is that the new section where you turn right instead of left to go down garfield is also a section of tough rollers. 

Ran a 13.1 with my son in Madison on Saturday.  Woke up early and ran 5 miles before the race, so it wasn't the same as an all out 18 mile run.  We did walk afterwards for a couple miles too. 

Got in a nice long ride on Sunday. 

Ran 12 miles yesterday (Tuesday) after a day off on Monday.  I was tired, but not as tired as I thought I would be. I am a little concerned that I haven't done any long runs of more than 12-13 miles this season.

Signed up for the dinner on Thursday, but need to find a room for that night.  Anyone have an extra bed to share the cost of a  hotel room that evening?  I have reservations for Friday through Monday. 

• Options

@ Stephen - Hopefully a room will open up.  i called three days before the race last year to get a room due to a death in the family an I got a room right away.

To the rest, I am in a bit of a pickle, due to work I only managed a solid 3.5 hours of sleep.  Soooo my morning workout did not happen.  The real question is which workout would you do this evening, the Bike or the swim.  I am leaning toward the swim as I feel I need it and my tri bike with the power meter is in the shop getting it's last minute tune up.  So I would be going by HR and PE on my road bike.  Thoughts?

Also to my St. Louis people where are you riding on Friday.  Just wanted to be able to maybe wave hello as we pass by.

TG

• Options
    @ Todd - rest trumps anything. However, whatever your weakest link is. For me, I can skip a swim or bike WO, but don't like to skip my run as I'm a sucky runner......
  • Options

Posted the below incorrectly in last week's thread.....

All, below is my DRAFT Race Plan I will be implementing for RR2 and on Race day.  I will post this in the Race Execution forum next week for the larger EB community to critique, however, I though it might be helpful for some as you are planning your RR2 this week and likely writing your plans for further input:

IMWI 2016 RACE PLAN - 9/11/2016

Age 48, FTP 290, VDOT 44 (@88 degrees), wt 174 w/kg 3.7

7th IM race, 1st IMWI

The Basic Principles

·       Race Day is about EXECUTION, not fitness.

·       Patience and discipline through and through, every minute/hour.

·       Set yourself up for negative splits in each discipline -- Start slower, and steadily build effort.

·       Steady Effort Wins the Day.

·       NO Racing Until Mile 80 of the bike and Mile 18 of the run.

Weds – 9/7

·       Travel to Madison

·       Check into house rental, quick unpack

·       Grocery Store visit

Thurs – 9/8

·       Bike/run brick on the course

·       Walk down to IM Village, get registered and pick up transition bags

·       IM Expo

·       Back to house rental to settle in, start laying out bags and checking all.

·       Team Dinner

Fri. – 9/9

·       6:30am breakfast snack

·       7:00am – Swim (Easy effort, just to get comfortable)

·       Short Bike/run brick on the course

·       Eat larger Breakfast – eggs and pancakes

·       Walk route from water to bags to bike to exit.

·       IM Expo

·       Lunch pasta and chicken.  Salted.

·       Pack Transition Bags

o   Visualize, and practice transitions

Sat – 9/10

·       Sleep in!

·       8:00 am Big Carb - Pancake/Waffle breakfast

·       Sip Coconut water all day

·       Bike and bag check-in 10:00 – 11:30

·       12:00p Good sized early lunch - pasta, chicken, rice.  Salted.

·       Back to house rental for a nap

·       Get bottles/stuff ready for Sunday morning drop off

·       Light dinner @ 5:00pm - Bread.  Yogurt.  Ensure/protein drink.

·       Handful of salt tabs

·       In Bed by 8:00 pm -- Final review of Race Plan

RACE MORNING (Sun – 8/16):

·       4:00 am wake-up

·       Eat Breakfast:

o   Banana, oatmeal, sports drink

o   Coffee

o   Ensure

o   Toasted Bagels

o   Salt Tabs

·       Get Dressed

o   EN Kit, +/-arm warmers

o   Chamois Cream, body glide, sunscreen

o   Timing Chip (L leg), HR strap, and garmin 920

o   Dry pull over clothes for staying warm. Throw away sandals

·       5:15 a.m. leave for race.  

·       Drop off special needs bags

·       Head to Transition get body-marking done.

·       Bathroom

·       Bike check (5:30)

o   2 bottles of GE on the bike

o   pump tires - ~105 PSI

o   bento box check, with tire tool and tube under seat check

o   Chain lubed, gearing double check, big ring, mid gear

o   Garmin 810 mounted and turned on, synced with PT pedlas and HR, Auto off disabled

·       Swim Setup.

·       6:00a get wet suit on (Garmin 910 left arm set to OWS).

·       Head toward swim start.

·       Do a gel with water about 15 mins out - keep sipping coconut water.

The Swim

·       Just Keep Swimming

·       Strong, smooth, relaxed stroke

·       Mechanics:

·       Only go as fast as form allows.  If form fails, slow down.

·       Swim inside buoys except turns

·       Draft on hips or feet - Put someone on my left - let that person navigate.

·       "Race in my box"

·       Hold ground when there is contact.

·       Nutrition:

·       1 Powergel 20 min. Before

·       1 bottle sports drink before

·       Goal time:  1:16 – 1:19

T1:

·    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

o   Out and jog while unzipping wet suit

o   Use strippers to extract wet suit, then go find bike bag

o   Run through the tent to the other side and out

o   Hand off wetsuit to volunteer and ask to place in bag  

o   bike bag- HELMET ON AND BUCKLED BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE

o   carry shoes while jogging to bike.

o   Pull bike off rack - jog to start

o   Shoes on at start line

o   Start Garmin

·     Goal time:  <5 min.</span>

Bike

<p style="color: #0
  • Options

Comments from Chris C. - @ SS - Nicely thought out. A few comments: 

1 - I'm envious of your bike HR, just say'in.... 

2 - VI <1.04. thats impressive on this course. Did you hit that target during camp week? On this course, I can't even come close to that VI. When I did Steelhead, my VI was 1.03ish. I've ridden the WI course 5x and every time my VI exceeds 1.10. On hilly courses, seems there is a high degree of correlation between FTP and VI - meaning if you have a high FTP, then you can have a lower VI.<span class="Apple-converted-space"> 

3 - I was a bit suprised on your HR goal for the second lap of the run. Is it to high to early in the run?

Chris - thanks for reading my plan and looking it over.

1 - 3 things dictate your HR - 1) Your age, 2) Your fitness level, 3) Genetics.  As you get older, your HR drops relative to your younger years, I am almost 49 years old, 2)I have a CTL or fitness level north of 160 (165 - 167 at the moment) 3) my resting HR is ~46 bpm.

2 - my goal V.I. is 1.04 or better which will be much better than RR1 given all the admin time, stops and power spikes I had purposely trying to accumulate higher TSS load on those days,  Race day we will have virtually no stops, pee on the bike, receive hand ups and I will place a great focus on riding steady through the rollers as well as the flats....

3- HR goal of 135 - 142 on second half is just a tick above my average bike HR of 135 ish. It will automatically drift up over time during the run from the bike avg if I stay in my box and fuel correctly.  If not, it will fall which I hope to avoid by proper pacing up front, proper nutrition/hydration and caffeine switching from Clif Shot blocks to COKE around mile 18....

SS

• Options

Day 3 IM hell week - condition - STABLE......

2 X 20s hitting targets this morning @ .98, .98 IF.......sucked....

https://www.strava.com/activities/687255989/overview

Need to find a window to swim before the day is over.

Keep moving forward all and stay safe this week!

SS

• Options
    Hang in there, SS....we're almost there and you've CRUSHED it preparing for this race. Thanks for posting your WI plan...looks VERY solid!
  • Options
    @ SS - you're discipline is something to be admired.

I swam 4,500 yards yesterday morning and ran 6.3 miles last evening. Right calf is acting up again and I can't pin down the exact area except its the lower half of the muscle on the medial side. I roll and stretch it and feel no pain. Almost feels like its going to buckle and give out on me sometimes - kinda weird.

Woke this morning, jumped on my bike and said F-it - I quit like a big fat loser! What I should have done is went for a ride vs. the basement trainer. My motivation is starting to suffer team and its not good. Maybe I can get some mojo and hit the bike after work.....Just gotta get through this weekend and its all downhill!
  • Options
    A well thought out plan by a veteran master. It's no mistake you're a WSM. You've worked harder the last 10 months than anyone I've seen. You've SBR this course with a steel determination and laser like focus on what you hoped to accomplish race day. You've prepared a plan that addresses your needs and offers contingencies for race day problems. You are a master who will execute better than you can imagine... Can't wait to share that course with you!
  • Options

@ Chris - As it is clear from my post above, sometimes backing down is a good thing.  Focus on why you are doing the race and find that internal motivation.  It is there.  Only thing it is buried under loads of must do this w.o., trying to find time for family, etc.  I oractice vizualising as much as can in the moments before and just after sleep to helpo me remeber why I do all this.

@ S.S.  I will try to post a more detailed response later as work is a little crazy.  1. Your experience will trump all else.  For me if I let loose at the end of the run, I usually only have two miles in me.  I know you, know but steady running beats 90% of the people ouit there going backwards.

As far as you walking the swim to bike transition.  I believe you can not do it until race day.  You pop out of the water and run to the strippers, then run up the parking garage ramp I think 3 levels.  Then into the conference center into a big room with all the bags.  it will make sense when you see it.  Then to a quick change room.  From there out the door to the parking lot with all the bikes.  Then mount , down the ramp on the other side and off you go.  I will be leaving my shoes on the bike if it is still allowed.

Also you left out the four keys talk   which is usually Friday morning around 10.

Looks good.  Looking forward to seeing how the week goes for us all then on to true race prep.

• Options

Good feedback so far, please keep it coming.  Also, consider submitting your plans to the team for their feedback as well.

All, if the one thing you get right this week is a SBR RR2, you had a successful Week 18 in my view.  Whatever you need to do to set yourself up for that should be the priority.......everything else is a bonus.....

SS

• Options

@Todd, thanks for the running thoughts.  My goal is to first make it to mile 18 and then try not to slow down.  Letting lose is not going to happen to me, but, I will likely have to drive my HR higher just to maintain a pace and not slow down ..............

• Options

I know from my On Course RR1 I will most likely be on the bike course for 5:40 - 5:50 given no stops, hand ups, stead watts etc.  Using the below chart, and the Vertical time axis, I then find my green TSS square vertically to be under the .70 IF column.....

• Options

Using a .70 - .71 IF as indicated in the prior chart and my 290 known FTP, I plug those numbers into the below Power racing chart from the EN power kit and out comes my target NP goal for the race as well as my 4 gears in NP terms......

• Options

@SS Looking like you are ready and prepared for both this weekend and the race.  I just need to find a few more hours in the day.

Just finished my usual Tues, but this week thursday run.  Maybe it was that the track I run on was empty, there are usually about 10-15 people there tues mornings, but legs just didn't have their usual power today.  The fatigue is really starting to set in.  Looking forward to some rest after work today and a little prep for tomorrow.  The forecast in St. louis is so/so.  I am a little frustrated as I will have to deal with too many stoplights this weekend.  The rest of my century+ rides this summer were out of town on country roads with nothing to slow you down.  On the bright side, I have plenty of places to refuel.

• Options
    By the way, in case anyone cares, I  am #572.  Check the website, numbers are up
  • Options

@Todd - I am bib# 544.......If you are feeling fatigued in Week 18, you must be doing it right bro......be careful as you walk that thin line for the remainder of the week then Taper begins in Week 19.

Hell Week day 4 - Fatigued / Stable - Interval run this morning not fun: https://www.strava.com/activities/688441323

I may be a little quiet regarding posting from Friday - Sunday as I try to get through those days.....

Very close here guys!  Hang on!

SS

• Options
    I care Todd! My number is 570!

@SS - yes sir, I'm physically beat! Not to mention the ass-kicking I've been involved with at work - I'm a turnaround consultant working on a very distressed company and a pissed off bank. I go to war in the morning, fight all day, then come home mentally drained. Combine those two and it just wears me down. I know I'm preaching to the choir....

One day at a time folks! Just think, we will be able to really enjoy Labor Day weekend - no long crazy rides and/or runs!
  • Options
    MOOOOOOOO

Hey peeps make sure you get your team dinner tickets this week! I am purchasing EN goodies for you and making final dinner plans so I need an accurate head count! Remember when you purchase more than one ticket, to change the price of the purchase to indicate the correct amount.

Thank you friends, can't wait to see you!
  • Options
    #2543, did not make the cut to be on the Team Rack, for whatever reason... Anyway, just digging in and doing what I can do. Was raining this morning so I jumped on the Trainer for a little ride, will run when I get home from work. Injury is slowly getting better and I am happy to report that I have run without pain (slower than I was), but happy to be running again... Staying mindful of my limits and recovery so I have the best I can on race day! (Then I will sleep for a month)
  • Options
    Good to hear Mike. Bummer your not part of our zip code on race day.

BTW I was looking at the Bib List and there are some non-EN'rs listed as EN'rs........
  • Options
    #301 - I am ready for the taper to begin!
  • Options

I'm fatigued along with the rest of you.  I've been skipping a few workouts to recover and have the mojo for this big weekend.  I did get in my long run Tuesday and a long swim yesterday. Still having shoulder issues. Hopefully, it will hold up until the race is over.

I enjoyed reading the race plans.  SS, I haven't looked at yours carefully, but the staying safe part on the bike at the beginning is really important.  There is a point around mile 1-3 where the route takes you on a bike path under the street and it is very narrow and tight there.  Easy place to wipe out.

I wonder what your plans are for observation hill on the run.  I plan to walk most of it both times.

I will be at the Dinner.  If my son wants to join us and it is past the time to buy tickets, is there still a chance that we can get one?

I'm going for another massage right now.  My legs are wobbly and shaky and I feel weak.

What's it going to be like during taper time?  Holy cow. 

• Options

I'm fatigued along with the rest of you.  I've been skipping a few workouts to recover and have the mojo for this big weekend.  I did get in my long run Tuesday and a long swim yesterday. Still having shoulder issues. Hopefully, it will hold up until the race is over.

I enjoyed reading the race plans.  SS, I haven't looked at yours carefully, but the staying safe part on the bike at the beginning is really important.  There is a point around mile 1-3 where the route takes you on a bike path under the street and it is very narrow and tight there.  Easy place to wipe out.

I wonder what your plans are for observation hill on the run.  I plan to walk most of it both times.

I will be at the Dinner.  If my son wants to join us and it is past the time to buy tickets, is there still a chance that we can get one?

I'm going for another massage right now.  My legs are wobbly and shaky and I feel weak.

What's it going to be like during taper time?  Holy cow. 

• Options
    #578 here. Quietly absorbing all the knowledge laid out here. SS, thanks for the blue print for success. Just seem like I'm a robot going through the training these last few weeks. Not sure if it's a good thing or not. Woke up this morning feeling tired as always, but kept checking the plan thinking there was like 4 hours of training to get done, but it's only a run. Taper is going to be hard managing down time and calorie intake (me loves his donuts). The engine is built, fine tuning on execution this weekend. Good luck to all and be safe. See you all in a couple weeks!!
  • Options

Fine work Stephan and Richard!

For those doing and RR2 this weekend, it never hurts to read and re-read:

Key #1: Execution, not Fitness

Summary:  All you've done for 9 months is build a vehicle. Ironman and Half Ironman racing is about how you DRIVE that vehicle, it is NOT about the vehicle itself. The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.) As coaches we can make you stronger, but we can't fix stoopid if you decide to race your own way.

Advice: The best way to handle this is lock in on the Four Keys and focus on what really matters - being ready to and then actually implementing your race.

1. Pre-Race / Taper: The closer you get to your race, the more you'll be hit with the magnitude of the event that's coming. The best way to get ready to handle that (self-imposed) pressure is to do all your training to the best of your ability. Dealing with anxiety in the final lead up to your race is a great deal easier if you have done the best you can given your life, time-commitment, and abilities.
    2. Race Week: The theme here is doing what you need to do, then getting out of Dodge. The more time you spend around folks who are freaking out, the more likely you are to freak out -- it's that simple! Know what you need to do and get it done; connect with a few key people and then return to a quiet place where you can focus.
    3. Race Day: There will be countless times during your day when other athletes will attempt to convince you that Fitness is more important than strategy. They will race you to the top of a hill in the middle of no-where, they will cut you off in the swim, they will regale you with stories of epic training on the run. Each of these instances is an opportunity for you to put the Four Keys system to work!

Key #2: The Line

Summary: Nothing on race day really matters until you reach The Line on the run. The Line is the point at which continuing becomes very, very difficult. You define success as simply not slowing down at The Line.

Advice: EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you. 

1. A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.
    2. If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferrably not attempted for the first time on race day!).
    3. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).
    4. Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!
    5. Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

Key #3: The Box

Summary: All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? Is what I'm doing right now counter to this goal? From what we've seen first hand on the IM courses this season, we believe you should ask yourself "Am I participating in some short-term tactical masturbation?" If yes, STOP!!

Advice: On the swim, the Box is the space your body occupies in the water: focus on your form and the rest will come. On the bike, the box is probably about one aid station long. On the run, the box begins as 2-3 aid stations long but often diminishes to "from here to the next lamppost/manhole cover/mail box." Regardless:

1. Keep The Box as big as you can for as long as you can.
    2. Keep in The Box only the things you can control. Let go of the rest.
    3. Exercise this decision-making process inside your Box: Observe the situation, Orient yourself to a possible course of action, Decide on a course of action, Act (OODA Loop).

Key #4: The One Thing

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.
    2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Conclusion

What have we not talked about so far? The things you are likely most torqued about: heart rate, pace, speed, watts, how to eat, what to drink, etc. We believe that if you can keep yourself focused on the Four Keys above, the rest of the day is relatively simple and you don't need to worry about these relatively small details. In other words, all the whizbang guidance in the world can't help you if don't have your mind right about the Four Keys above.

That's it, that's as complicated as racing long-course needs to be and we can't say it any more simply. We've basically given you a Vegas betting strategy, having managed and observed many rolls of the dice. If you sit down, shut up, do what we tell you, you will have a good day. But as you stray towards the Ricky Racer side of the execution scale, you begin to rattle the dice.

• Options

Bike Pacing and Execution Specifics

1. No Such Thing as a Good Bike Split Followed by a Poor Run.
    2. Ride the Bike you SHOULD, NOT the Bike you COULD.
    3. The 90% Rule: 90% of the field doesn't know what they are doing. Doing The Opposite = A Good Thing.

Early Part of the Bike

Your actions and pace in the first ~30-45' of the bike are very important. Consider:

• There will be a large disconnect between how hard you think you're riding and how hard you actually are riding. That is, your heart rate could be very high, post swim, but it feels easy, but watts (if you have power are very high). In our experience it takes about 30-45' for all of your systems to come online, so to speak, and begin to match what you would expect on a training ride.
    • At the same time other competitors will be giving you a ton of feedback that you are going too slow -- everyone is flying, I'm not, therefore I must be doing something wrong. Again, remember the 90% rule!

So, for the first 30 (Advanced athletes) to 60 (Intermediate) minutes, or even 90 (Beginner) minutes, we want you to ride very easy, at a "do no harm, go all day, JRA (Just Riding Along) effort:"

• Heart Rate Athletes should see a mid to high Zone 1 heart rate. Or rather, a heart you know you can associate with "I could sit here all day, as long as someone fed me and gave me something to drink."
    • Power Athletes should dial in ~65-69% of FTP.

Nutrition in the early stages of the bike is critical. The longer you were in the water...or the harder you swam (contrary to our advice!) the sooner you need to start hydrating. Remember,  you haven't had anything to eat or drink for at least an hour, so you are effectively two bottles behind!  

• If you are drinking regular-strength fluids, you can start sipping them ASAP.
    • If you are using a concentrated formula, you will need to give your body time to settle in, so start by sipping water until you feel ready (usually 15 minutes, no more than 30 minutes max). 

Remainder of the Bike

Once you are past the initial part of your day, you can do the following. If you want to dig deeper, please see the Team Endurance Nation Race Calculator section in the Wiki.

• Heart Rate Athletes:
      • Expecting about a sub 5:45 bike split: Dial in a low to mid Zone 2 heart rate.
      • Expecting a >6:00 bike split: High Zone 1 to low Zone 2 heart rate.
      • Managing Variability using HR: Since not everyone has power, don't feel left out on the Variability conversation. You can minimize the cost of hills and lost opportunity on the downhills by keeping your HR steady. If you are riding at 134, for example, don't let that HR get much higher than 136-ish on hills, or drop below 132-ish on downhills. By keeping your HR in a tight bandwidth, you will effectively be managing your power output properly! Of course, some courses have serious climbs/descents, so be prepared to adjust your race plan accordingly. 

• Power Athletes:
      • Goal Watts, as a percentage of FTP:
        • 5:00 - 5:15: ~74-75%
        • 5:15 - 5:30: 73-74%
        • 5:30 - 5:45: 73-72%
        • 5:45 - 6:00: 72-70%
        • 6:00 - 6:15: 69-70%
        • > 6:15: 67-69%

• Goal Variability Index (VI):
        • High w/kg athlete with excellent gearing and ninja execution and discipline: 1.02-1.04
        • Medium w/kg with excellent gearing, but w/kg + grades of some hills require you to spike your efforts from time to time: 1.05-1.08
        • Everyone: < 1.1
  • Options

Bike Nutrition

Here is some race-specific information, for more details and nutrition planning please refer to the Nutrition Section of the Wiki.

• Macro Information:
      • Your goal is to exit the bike completely fueled, having lost minimal weight to fluids, etc.
      • Your target is to pee twice on the Ironman bike (stopping to do so is optional, socks not recommended). 
      • Water is USELESS on race day except to cool you. It doesn't leave your gut (no sodium), and is relatively inert. If you plan on taking water in, you need to make sure you have the additional sodium to get it out of your stomach.
    • Minimal Required Stats:
      • 175 to 350 calories per hour, preferably mostly liquid (Drinks, gels, a few 1/2 bars included), as a function of body size (smaller and older folks eat less, bigger, younger folks eat more) and per what you've proofed out in your training.
      • 1,000 mg of sodium across all sources (Drinks, fluids, gels, etc.)
    • Initial Fueling Guidance: 
      • You will eat and drink starting at 10' mark or as soon as your Heart Rate drops and you can eat.
      • Eat and drink, regularly, until your body burps it back up, at which point you dial things down a bit.
      • The hotter the day will be, the more you need to plan to drink early in the bike. Example: 
        • Planning on 2 bottles per hour? Try for 3 in first hour on a hot day. 
        • Planning on 1.5 bottles per hour? Try for 2 in first hour on a hot day.
  • Options

RR2

Run Pacing & Execution

• "No Friends"  Run your race and your pace until it gets hard, hopefully after mile 18. At that time it's fine to find a suffer-buddy.
    • "Don't Bring the Suck Closer"  The run will hurt at some point, it will suck. All of us can only spend so much time in the Suck. All you do by trying to make something happen before it's going to happen is bring the Suck closer and increase the amount of time you'll spend in the Suck. Wait for Mile 18, then get it done.
    •  "Respect Your Training Self"  Your Training Self did all the work to get your Racing Self here -- the 5am workouts, the long bike rides and runs, ice cream denied, etc. Your Racing Self owes your Training Self his/her best effort. That means potentially suffering, a lot. High pain tolerance, embracing the Suck, and respecting your Training Self vs giving up can be worth huge time at the finish line. 

Pacing Guidance for All Athletes (Pace & HR): 

• Current Endurance Nation guidance strongly suggests that you use Heart Rate to pace your run. A successful run is one where you don't slow down, and we can visually see that by looking at your HR file where the "red HR line" is flat all day, building slightly, until it peaks at the end for your final push to the finish. 

Heart Rate Athletes:

• If you don't know your Long Run AHR, then start with your Bike AHR from race day for Miles 0 to 6, then dial in a Heart Rate that is approximately 8 to 10 beats higher than the average HR you saw on the bike and run that all day.
    • Note the older you are, the closer your bike and run Heart Rate numbers will be. 
    • See the Additional "Pacing Run with Heart Rate" guidance here: (Defining A Good Ironman® Run with Heart Rate)

Pace Athletes:

• Understand we Recommend that you Use Heart RatePace is nice, but it's not as effective a race day pacing management tool as Heart Rate. If you are using pace alone, you'll need to adjust the pace for early miles (below) as well as to account for Heat, etc. 
    • Miles 0-6Your VDot Zone1 / Long Run Pace + 30secs per mile. Give us 30" per mile, a total of 3' and we will make your day.
    • Miles 6-18: Drop into Zone1 / Long Run Pace, getting what you need. NO FRIENDS, run your own pace.

Overall Run Pacing Guidance from a Strategy Perspective:

• Miles 0-18: 
        • You are on defense. Fairies, gumdrops, happy faces, you're not trying to make something happen. Doing so only accelerates the arrival of The Suck. 
        • Walk 30 steps at the aid stations. Go to the last water/coke/g-ade/gel guy, get what you need. Walk 30 steps and then start running again. Use walking as a reward for continuing to run at your goal pace between aid stations.

• Miles 18-26: You now have permission to race. Count people, get mean, get angry, focus on your one thing. Find allies on the course but drop them if they slow you down. Find your teammates and encourage each other.

• Miles 22-24: While we've given you permission to race at mile 18, you still have 8 miles to go. From reading the race reports of the Team, we still see that many people have a bit of a rough patch in there somewhere. 22-24, 23-25, just be ready for it. Don't totally shift into another gear at 18. Just know that there may very well be a mugger on the course somewhere and you need to have an answer for him.

• >26: Finally, if you finish the last 10k strong and are pissed off at us cuz you think you ran too slowly, find us and you can punch us in the nose.

A complete explanation of how (and why)to pace yourIronman® race using Heart Rate, including pictures & analysis information, isin the Wiki Here

You have HR data from training and know from experience what a "normal long run" Heart Rate is...this is effectively what your body is prepared to handle on race day. Here's how you use it:
      • Note your Bike Average Heart Rate: You'll have a sense of your body's "state" on race day by comparing your Bike AHR to what you normally see in your Race Rehearsals and long rides. Even on hot days, these numbers should be relatively close (training & race) as the bike is non-weight bearing and the effect of the winds will keep you cool.  Example: You expected an AHR of 140, but your AHR on race day was 142. 
      • Run ^that^ Heart Rate for the First Six Miles: This will allow you to reduce the cost of the early miles, and prevent any heat accumulation. You'll also be able to eat / drink as your body is in a nice "steady state" place. Example: You rode 142 AHR, so you run 142-ish for the first six miles.
      • Allow your HR to Drift Up as You Switch to Steady / Race Pace: After six miles, you can begin to engage your race mode. You can an allow your HR to drift up towards your "expected" long run AHR value. Example: Your training Long Run AHR is 150, so you pick up the pace to where your "six mile" AHR of 142 is now 150, and you sit on that number as long as you can. The only exception to this strategy is if a higher HR brings discomfort (physical, nutritional) that you can't handle; if so return to a "safer" HR number.
      • Mentally Draw A Line Where You Can Run Harder: There will come a point where you can begin to push to the finish line. Could be one mile, three miles, etc. Wherever that line is, commit to it early on the run and, as you push yourself to the finish keep an eye on your HR so you know you are safe. Example: You have been running 150 AHR and with three miles to go you pick up the pace as you stop walking Aid Stations and your HR is closer to 155 as you push through the finish.