Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Many thanks to the EN Nation!

I want to get all my thoughts/memories/pictures written down so I'll have more by the end of the week but, before the holiday with its namesake, I just wanted to send "thanks" out to the EN Nation, and RnP specifically, for creating the community and the process that helped me achieve my goals.  Few things in life are as fulfilling as doing something that at one point seemed impossible - and that is what attracted me, and probably many of you, to IM.  Overcome your self-created mental barriers enough times and you actually start to think that, with enough hard work, discipline and a process, anything is possible.  That's a pretty good place to be! 

After the race, I had some beers with RnP then I went to the finish line.  Literally the first person I saw come down the chute was EN'er Bryan Reece at ~15:45.  We had jumped into the water together in the morning so it was fitting that I got to see him finish.  Bryan raised alot of money for Livestrong and carried the names of many cancer victims so it was an emotional race for him.  I also got to see Rudy kick it to the end - that kid is amazing.  There was also a lady who I saw on the course the last part of my run.  She had on a pink skirt and she had the body type that....how do I put this PC...let's just say you would be surprised to see her finish a 10K, shocked to see her finish a marathon, and think it impossible she'd finish an IM.  But there she was, just under 16hrs crossing the finish line.  Watching people finish that last hour was very inspirational.

I learned alot from my race.  Two or three times I thought the day was done.  About 2/3rds of the way through the swim, my adductors/upper quads and jaw were tight and shivering uncontrollably.  T1 was miserable - it must have looked like I was having a seizure.  I couldn't pedal more than ~80-85rpm for the first 40' of the bike and I was 5' from stopping in the medical tent so I could warm up.  My legs weren't cramping but they were just rock hard from shivering.  At one point I looked down at my power meter and I was going 18mph, pushing 170w, and pedaling 80rpm.  I haven't downloaded the power file but it should be entertaining.  I thought "Big Bike Week, Big Tri Week, Epic Weekend, peak FTP...and it has come to this..."  By the 2nd lap, I had warmed up but everytime I tried to push >210-220w, the upper adductors would cramp but it was still better than the 1st lap.

Then I heard the dreaded "pssssttt...."  Flat took me 9' to fix because of some total kook moves I did.  By this time, I had put all time goals out of my head and just said "Enjoy the day - you are doing an Ironman" 

The 3rd loop was dreamy - felt awesome.

Best part of my day: turning into the 1st aid station on the run and seeing my twin 4 1/2 yr olds handing out sponges.  I melted!

I had to really dig deep to not slow down and do sub-4hrs on the marathon.  Props go out to Rich Miller - I had no idea who you were at the time but it was fun flashing the EN gang sign on every lap!

As I came to the end of the finish chute, I saw the clock was at 10:29:50 but there were my kids with huge smiles cheering me on.  Giving them and my wife wet kisses and hugs before crossing the mat was well worth sacrificing my goal of sub-10:30.  Final time: 10:30:15.

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations Brian. Way to hang in there through a couple of rough spots. Wet kisses and hugs - definitely worth the 25 seconds. Any Ostrich dancing?
  • Options
    Congrats Brian on a great day!! I was chilled, but never as cold as you were. That sounds truly miserable. Too sweet about your kids!! Seeing family is what pulls you through, isn't it??
    I love the "best part" of your day!! It was nice to meet you @ the practice swim. Enjoy your success and have a great Thanksgiving!
  • Options

Couldn't be happier for you, Brian!! congrats and enjoy your holiday!! looking forward to the full RR.

• Options

Great job Brian!

• Options

Brian, you are amazing and such a sweet man. Loved your post. Warm and thoughtful from a guy who smoked the course even while shivering uncontrollably. So glad I met you last year at ToC. I can put a face to the story.

CC

• Options

Awesome post! Great race but family trumps time goal everytime. Congrats!!!

• Options

Way to go, Bri!  I loved following you throughout the day.  You overcame some big obstacles and put up a tremendous time. 

Tremendous!

Dave

• Options

Great! awesome time!  Congrats, your kids/family come first who cares about 15 seconds, in my mind you made your goal.

• Options

Congrats on a wonderful race---especially seeing your kids at that aid station--so precious!

• Options
    Oh Brian, just reading about the deadly pssst made me cramp up and shiver. !0:30 is a just dream for many of us, and so incredibly impressive. Great day, overcoming a ton. Congrats, guy. You did yourself proud.
  • Options
    Great job!!! Congratulations!
  • Options

BOOM!  Great job!

• Options
    Hey Brian!

TOTALLY MY PLEASURE! You looked great out there and when I flashed the "Top Secret EN Hand Signal" to you and others, all of you just lit up with the greatest smiles!

Off topic, I am going to have to talk to your twins! I think they have Mom and Dad wrapped around their fingers already, but just in case, I can give them a few pointers as twins. I have a twin sister! LOL!
  • Options

Awesome job.  Im sure the family appreciated being seen at the finish.  

• Options

Great job, Brian!  10:30 is one legit race!  

So cool to have seen your family on course.   Seeing 'reuniting' family scenes like yours at the finish chute is one of the most moving images in IM. 

• Options
    So cool to jump in the water with you....but cooler to see you at the finish....thanks for coming back....
    Bryan
  • Options
    Way to come back from the shivering brink and post that stellar time! I'm so impressed. I soooooo know that cold and hopeless feeling. I've been there more times than I care to count and hate what it does to ones mind. The fact that on top of dealing with the cold you were able to handle your unfortunate flat with such grace is a testament to the athlete you are. Congratulations on a great race...your family is clearly so proud of you! Happy recovery to you Ironman!
  • Options
    Posted By Brad Loescher on 24 Nov 2009 08:08 AM

Any Ostrich dancing?

That totally made my morning LOL Thanks Brad.

As I said on FB great job Brian, damn impressive with the cold and the flat.

-Dave

• Options
    great job!!! wow. congrats